Extra Life Charity Event - Oct. 20th 2012

frostybroc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
extralifebanner1.jpg

Next year's group has been created. Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! LINK

Extra Life, an annual 24-hour video game marathon that raises money to help heal sick kids at your local Children's Miracle Network Hospital. It's never been this much fun to do this much good.
Essentially you sign up, and send people to your donate page that you customize. Listed is your picture and your goal. You pledge to game for 24 hours straight to raise money for the hospital of your choice from their drop down menu (ie All Childrens in Tampa, Fl was one of them). Then on October 20th, 2012 at 9am your local standard time, you start gaming.

Its really easy, and something most of us tend to do. Hell good karma, and a great reason to take a day off from work to help the children.

Here's a link to the Extra Life registration page with more information -----> Click Here
Here's a link to the Team Cheap Ass Gamer Extra Life Team Page -----> Click Here
Here's a link to the Children's Miracle Network for more information on there organizational and mission statement ----> Click Here

We now have a Facebook page! - HERE

Current Team Cheap Ass Gamer Contests & Lowballs for Extra Life
Frostybroc's PSN, Steam, or XBL Code Race (Team Cheap Ass Gamers ONLY!!): First person to raise $100 to their page will get the choice of a $20 PSN, Steam, 1600 XBL Points, 3 months of PS+, or 3 months of XBL card. Contest is over! Winner : kburns10 $100 donation on 9/29/2012

Team Members & Gamertags

frostybroc: :ps3:frostybroc
SunFire14: :360:Sunfire14 :ps3:oO_Sunfire_Oo
Smoke7: :360:Smokey1879, :ps3:Smokey18
randomdud: :360:ObsidianSpjre, :ps3:ObsidianSpire, :pc:Obsidian Spire (Steam)
JustSurvive: :360:JustSurvived
kburns10: :360:KBURNS10 :ps3: KBURNS10
Evozakira: :ps3:evozakira
FLueNT: :360:FLueNTx12 :ps3: FLueNT
Ardrid: :ps3: Ardrid, :pc: Ardrid (Steam)
leprekon666: :360:leprekon666 :ps3: leprekon666
Hell Monkey: :360:Hell M0nkey :ps3: BurningGod

End of the Season Raffle
The person who raises the most funds for their hospital will get to choose FIRST what prize they want. So go out and get those funds!!!

So far for the prizes for the End of the Season Raffle to help motivate you guys and get out there and raise those funds, we have:
nisamerica.jpg

Disgaea 3 - PSVitam
Plush Prinnies x3
Deathko Keychains x2
Valvatorez Keychains x2
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland OST x4

logo_header.png

:ps3: Uncharted 3 x4
:ps3: Uncharted 3 Collector's Edition x1

valve-logo.png

1x Dota 2 Promo pack

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping to be a part of Team CAG again this year, but since I already registered it wont let me join the team. I sent Extra Life an email, hopefully they can add me. :)

Can I register as a side-participant? Due to changes in my schedule, I don't think I will be up to attempting anything close to a marathon session this year, but I have stuff I want to giveaway and help raise some money for Team CAG. :D

[quote name='randomdud']Can I register as a side-participant? Due to changes in my schedule, I don't think I will be up to attempting anything close to a marathon session this year, but I have stuff I want to giveaway and help raise some money for Team CAG. :D[/QUOTE]

You do not necessarily have to game for 24 hours straight, as long as you dedicate 24 hours of your gaming time to it. You can do an hour or two a night during the weeks leading up to the event, for example.

[quote name='Sunfire14']You do not necessarily have to game for 24 hours straight, as long as you dedicate 24 hours of your gaming time to it. You can do an hour or two a night during the weeks leading up to the event, for example.[/QUOTE]
Oh, awesome. I went ahead and signed up; will update later with details about giveaways and stuff. Hopefully I can raise some more money this time. :D

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=32243

Hey everyone,

So I'm trying to get somethings going for the team as a whole.

A suggestion for you guys

- See if you can get some local sponsorship. Donations don't always have to be cash/paypal, some can be things to help you game on the day off the marathon, or items that you can raffle off.

Also you guys have any games dedicated to the marathon you're going to play?

I'll probably be on BF3, Diablo 3, and Disgaea 4.

[quote name='frostybroc']
[/QUOTE]
I have no idea at the moment. I have a few games that might be of interest to people: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die (PC port), Sleeping Dogs, or some Borderlands 2 co-op, or one of the other 400+ games I have... Not really sure since it's pretty far away.

As for the local sponsorship and whatnot, what sort of stores/places seem to be interested in this sort of charity event? I don't know many local shops other than large retailers, so I would probably have to ask around at my University and other places for people actually interested in donating goods/items.

[quote name='frostybroc']

I'll probably be on BF3, Diablo 3, and Disgaea 4.[/QUOTE]

I will either be playing SWTOR or a Mass Effect Marathon :)

[quote name='randomdud']I have no idea at the moment. I have a few games that might be of interest to people: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die (PC port), Sleeping Dogs, or some Borderlands 2 co-op, or one of the other 400+ games I have... Not really sure since it's pretty far away.

As for the local sponsorship and whatnot, what sort of stores/places seem to be interested in this sort of charity event? I don't know many local shops other than large retailers, so I would probably have to ask around at my University and other places for people actually interested in donating goods/items.[/QUOTE]

There is a local comic book shop here that has a gaming room. I would love to do some sort of stream this year, so I think I'm gonna talk to them about some sort of sponsorship.

[quote name='randomdud']I have no idea at the moment. I have a few games that might be of interest to people: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die (PC port), Sleeping Dogs, or some Borderlands 2 co-op, or one of the other 400+ games I have... Not really sure since it's pretty far away.

As for the local sponsorship and whatnot, what sort of stores/places seem to be interested in this sort of charity event? I don't know many local shops other than large retailers, so I would probably have to ask around at my University and other places for people actually interested in donating goods/items.[/QUOTE]

I say maybe some "Mom & Pop" video game stores, or try Gamestop & Play N Trade. Sometimes they may have promo items just laying around or maybe donate some games where you could have an Extra Life Lowball with those items here. Also you can ask for monetary donations and direct them to the site, and say that you'd advertise their business on your Extra Life page, and maybe here on CAG with your signature.

Last year, I have a review site sponsor me. Also hit up sites such as Greenmangaming they may be able to help with a few items or monetary donations. Its really is hit or miss. Its hard to ask people because some may think its a scam, so I've been sharing the links to the Charity, Extra Life Page, and our Team Page.

Hope this helps.

Hey Guys PM me if you're not on the list of participants on the first post. I will be holding some contests so when that comes around, I want everyone to have a chance.

That would be great. At the moment we are at 33% strength from last year's team. Good Job to those that are getting donations, and for everyone else hope you guys get on the board.

Also if you guys have tips for fund raising please share. This is a team effort, and it would be nice to exceed our goal.

From Naughty Dog, I have some Last of US T-shirts if anyone is interested. I'll send out before the raffle so you can rock them out.

I have the following sizes and colors:
White: L x1
Black: All Gone

First come first serve.

I've got the time off work this year, but I'm not sure I should do it this year. My wife is doing a fundraiser the week before and don't want to take away from the money she would be raising.

Hopefully going to make the final decision in the next week.

I was getting some donations, but they have slowed up. Might send a message out mid September to see if I can get more funds in for this. Thanks for holding the raffle Frostybroc!

Woo, just heard back from Raptr HQ and they've decided to donate 3 T-shirts and 3 Raptr plushies! Got emails/discussions in the works with a few more companies and local stores, so hopefully I can get some more sponsors! I've also amassed more games/codes for giveaway, so I'm going to continue my sponsor pursuit while giving away some of my personal items to donors. I'll post about a giveaway thread sometime early next week as this weekend is going to be hectic as all hell for me. :D

[quote name='frostybroc']Cool! Also I added a slide show to the Team Page Showcasing sponsors. I'll throw Raptr in their next.[/QUOTE]
Nice job with that slideshow! It's funny they won't let you manually add HTML tags, but they allow for video/slideshow embedding using what is most likely the very same tags you tried to add. :lol:

So partial prize/giveaway count from what I can tell: 10-15 PC game keys/bundled keys, 10-15 Console games from various generations, a couple sponsor prizes/donations, and tons of other bits and pieces of my collection.

EDIT: also, checked my mailbox and the Last of Us Shirt is already here! WOOOO!

Nice, got an email from EA saying essentially that they don't "donate" to 3rd party and that they only deal with certain charities.

[quote name='frostybroc']Nice, got an email from EA saying essentially that they don't "donate" to 3rd party and that they only deal with certain charities.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got the same kind of email from Gamestop, Sega, and another company I can't remember. It was a sad day until I saw some positives or forwards to the right person. :D

Hey, frosty. I lika da shirt. Wore it during my Class C licence test yesterday and have it immortalized on my updated license picture. It's too bad they don't capture any of the text with headshots, so I'mma post some other pictures in spoiler below! Be warned, my camera always takes large picture sizes, so it might mess with scrolling or whatnot.

2012-09-15%2007.39.07.jpg

2012-09-15%2007.39.40.jpg

The back is just a NaughtyDog logo if anyone was wondering. :)

So in hopes to get you guys out there, how do you guys feel if we add that the person who raises the most funds gets to choose first out of all that has been donated?

[quote name='frostybroc']So in hopes to get you guys out there, how do you guys feel if we add that the person who raises the most funds gets to choose first out of all that has been donated?[/QUOTE]

Good idea, anything to get more money in for the hospitals. :)

I put in the wiki, that whoever raises the MOST funds for their charity, will get the first choice out of the packages. So raise those funds people!

bread's done
Back