Should I open the game or sell it?

xenozfan2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
A few months ago I stumbled across a sealed copy of xenophobe for the nes in a local game shop, so I bought it. Now I can't decided if I should try and sell it on ebay or do the only unboxing of the game on youtube.

Personally I would just sell it. Unless you enjoy devaluing your potential profit on camera, then go for it. If playing it is your concern just emulate the games as to not devalue your sealed copy. I have a copy of tales of destiny 2 for the ps1 still sealed that I would love to play, but I know the value plummets as soon as I open the cellophane.

[quote name='xenozfan2']A few months ago I stumbled across a sealed copy of xenophobe for the nes in a local game shop, so I bought it. Now I can't decided if I should try and sell it on ebay or do the only unboxing of the game on youtube.[/QUOTE]

Unboxing? Not impressed. Sell it and buy a used copy. You won't make any money from an unboxing (which are generally pretty stupid in my opinion) and I can't imagine your internet cred will go up much.

I agree, sell it and buy a used copy, you'll turn a strong profit. I just sold a sealed Star Fox 64. I love the game and would love to play it, but not enough to throw the $70.00 I easily made on it away, when I can buy a cart only copy for under $10.00.

If you wanted to open it to play it I would always say play it. That is what games are for. But to film you opening to put on youtube? I dont even see the logic in that. I say do whatever makes you happier though.

If ur going to buy a used copy anyway, then just keep the new one, and do the video and play it. I am assuming u r a utube partner, and will get ad revenue from ur unboxing video

[quote name='mgorsi']If ur going to buy a used copy anyway, then just keep the new one, and do the video and play it. I am assuming u r a utube partner, and will get ad revenue from ur unboxing video[/QUOTE]

Yep, I just became a youtube partner. :bouncy: The only reason I wanted to do a video was there are no other ones on youtube and I thought it could be cool, and who knows the game might have some neat stuff inside.

unboxing videos suck. If you want to play it and keep it, just open it. If not that's fine too but it's not worth that much money

[quote name='xenozfan2']HOw much?[/QUOTE]

Looks like ebay has some listed at about an average price of 60-70 bucks. I do not see people actually buying them in the completed auctions though.

I say keep it sealed and sell it. I've over time ended up with games sealed well past there launch from lack of time and I've made some decent money on games that I sold and re-bought used. As long as I can play it I'm good.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Who really would even watch this unboxing video? What is the excitement in an unboxing? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Unboxing videos are nice for collectors editions so you can get a better idea of the physical contents in an item. But other than that, they're pretty stupid.

"Ok, so we take off the plastic wrap and we see that there is a case, the game disc and manual... just like there is for every fucking game ever made. Oh boy! How Exciting!!"

[quote name='Vinny']Unboxing videos are nice for collectors editions so you can get a better idea of the physical contents in an item. But other than that, they're pretty stupid.

"Ok, so we take off the plastic wrap and we see that there is a case, the game disc and manual... just like there is for every fucking game ever made. Oh boy! How Exciting!!"[/QUOTE]

But lots of nes games had goodies in it. But I will probably try and sell it on ebay for $20-$30 since I only paid $3.

[quote name='xenozfan2']But lots of nes games had goodies in it. But I will probably try and sell it on ebay for $20-$30 since I only paid $3.[/QUOTE]
Trust me, there's nothing good inside of a Xenophobe box.

I opened my PS1 copy of Valkyrie Profile a few years ago to play it...2 months later, they announced a re-release on the PSP.

I'm still kciking myself.

But then again, it's a a game. They're meant to be played.

[quote name='Number83']But then again, it's a a game. They're meant to be played.[/QUOTE]
No they're not. They're meant to be hoarded and kept sealed on a shelf for all of eternity like some plastic electronic Ark Of The Covenant, never to be opened lest the goodness inside of the case/box blind the non believers with it's greatness.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No they're not. They're meant to be hoarded and kept sealed on a shelf for all of eternity like some plastic electronic Ark Of The Covenant, never to be opened lest the goodness inside of the case/box blind the non believers with it's greatness.;)[/QUOTE]

:lol:
I stand corrected.

Considering Iamthecheapestgamer posted links showing sealed copies going for less then $50 bucks I say open the dam thing and play it.

I was thinking its some big ticket item and you guys are carrying on about a $20-$30 profit. That's what a job is for. Open the dam thing. Its not rare nor expensive. If it was worth more maybe id have a change of thought but you sound like your nickel and diming video game flips.

Yeah. When I saw the prices for sealed copies, I was like :whistle2:s. I mean, if it were a $100 game sealed, I'd say fuck yeah, throw that bitch up on eBay.

Speaking of which, I'm still debating on my sealed copy of Packy & Marlon for SNES I found for $3-5 at a Salvation Army six months ago. Every high value auction for it on eBay hasn't sold and the only ones that have are opened/cart only ones.

Yet VGPC says the game is worth a bill and a half in new/sealed condition: :shock:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/packy-and-marlon

And RarityGuide.com says it's a $158 game in NIB condition: :shock:

http://www.rarityguide.com/snes_view.php?FirstRecord=401

Yet I'm so leery about selling a new/sealed older game.:whistle2:#

sell it & buy a used copy with a box, seal that used copy and open it. problem solved.

its an old ass game anyways, so no one will notice. and shrink wrap back then was pretty sloppy

The NES port of Xenophobe is farking terrible, and the original Arcade game wasn't a whole lot better either. Sell it if you can, but it's not worth terribly much, even sealed. Opening sealed NES games is fun though, I found a sealed Track and Field 2 at a thrift a few years ago that I opened up.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. When I saw the prices for sealed copies, I was like :whistle2:s. I mean, if it were a $100 game sealed, I'd say fuck yeah, throw that bitch up on eBay.

Speaking of which, I'm still debating on my sealed copy of Packy & Marlon for SNES I found for $3-5 at a Salvation Army six months ago. Every high value auction for it on eBay hasn't sold and the only ones that have are opened/cart only ones.

Yet VGPC says the game is worth a bill and a half in new/sealed condition: :shock:

Yet I'm so leery about selling a new/sealed older game.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Does it have any of the original price stickers btw? When there's wear on a sealed game, one might automatically think reseal...but with stickers present the buyer might be a little more confident.

From what I've seen; sealed and CIB markets can be weird. If you have something hot--like the Einhander with drill hole which popped up on CAG a while back--it'll insta-sell. Other stuff will languish, collectors will tell you it's worth big bucks, but when it comes to buying it they won't and it'll always sell for you under-market (though there'll always be some other guy's copy in the woodwork that mysteriously sells for higher).

I've had CIB n64 controllers and a gameboy advance cib where I just tossed the boxes because no one materialized who wanted to pay the nebulous premium, and it got to where it wasn't worth lowering the price and still paying the shipping on the boxes. I'm not saying your situation is that bad, but when some collectors can't verify the seal they only want to pay what the price would be on a unsealed CIB with a beat box; it's all the usual tire-kicking.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. When I saw the prices for sealed copies, I was like :whistle2:s. I mean, if it were a $100 game sealed, I'd say fuck yeah, throw that bitch up on eBay.

Yet I'm so leery about selling a new/sealed older game.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

yeah if you look at the prices in rarityguide you can see sealed games are often worth tons more then opened games

I made a mistake of opening a sealed Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land which according to the PS2 Rarity Guide was worth $200 sealed, but now its worth only $50

TLDR: Never open sealed games. If you really want to play/unbox etc, just buy an additional used copy for that purpose

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Does it have any of the original price stickers btw? When there's wear on a sealed game, one might automatically think reseal...but with stickers present the buyer might be a little more confident.

From what I've seen; sealed and CIB markets can be weird. If you have something hot--like the Einhander with drill hole which popped up on CAG a while back--it'll insta-sell. Other stuff will languish, collectors will tell you it's worth big bucks, but when it comes to buying it they won't and it'll always sell for you under-market (though there'll always be some other guy's copy in the woodwork that mysteriously sells for higher).

I've had CIB n64 controllers and a gameboy advance cib where I just tossed the boxes because no one materialized who wanted to pay the nebulous premium, and it got to where it wasn't worth lowering the price and still paying the shipping on the boxes. I'm not saying your situation is that bad, but when some collectors can't verify the seal they only want to pay what the price would be on a unsealed CIB with a beat box; it's all the usual tire-kicking.[/QUOTE]

I sell action figures, and that market is largely the same way. In many cases, you will get more for selling figures loose, as long as they are mint with all the accessories, than you will if they are brand new on card, because the shipping costs on shipping the box are way higher than just slipping the figures in a bubble mailer for 2 bucks.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Does it have any of the original price stickers btw? When there's wear on a sealed game, one might automatically think reseal...but with stickers present the buyer might be a little more confident.

I've had CIB n64 controllers and a gameboy advance cib where I just tossed the boxes because no one materialized who wanted to pay the nebulous premium, and it got to where it wasn't worth lowering the price and still paying the shipping on the boxes. I'm not saying your situation is that bad, but when some collectors can't verify the seal they only want to pay what the price would be on a unsealed CIB with a beat box; it's all the usual tire-kicking.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. There is wear around the corners of the box. So I immediately thought reseal myself. But everything else looks good about it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. There is wear around the corners of the box. So I immediately thought reseal myself. But everything else looks good about it.[/QUOTE]

Does it have any sort of H-seam? I'd mention a detail like that, especially if you're missing a hang-tab.

Another good rule of thumb which I'll use for sealed games that have some kind of flaw, is that I'll position the price somewhere between a CIB and a display quality NIB. It depends on the title too, for a Valkyrie Profile 2 I was able to get $5 below a pure seal, since the game only had a small flaw.

In your case, you might want to think about the components individually, assuming a mint cartridge, mint manual, and worn box. Other factors include sales ranking, it might be hard-to-find but if not too many people are seeking they can afford to be persnickety about condition. Now I can't say I'm intimately familiar with this item, but if I were to list in the dark my instincts would be telling me $80-100.

bread's done
Back