Happy Wars. Free for Gold members. Out in the Fall.

Note to whatever PR department is behind this - 30 players is not "large scale multiplayer" by today's standards.

I'd trade 5 of these if we could have 1 vs 100 back.

...at least it's free.

It's significantly larger scale than Call of Duty, though, isn't it? And much more my cup of tea than CoD. I'm looking forward to it anyway. Plus I suck at trivia. But I'll take 1 vs 100 back as well. :)

this is XBLA's first F2P game!

It was announced last year at TGS (Tokyo Game Show) but then went quiet for development. Definitely can see the Japanese influence and how much Asia has embraced the F2P model.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's significantly larger scale than Call of Duty, though, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Guess it depends on what you consider "significant." I meant more in comparison to what you can do on a PC or even a PS3 in some cases.

[quote name='hufferstl']1 vs 100 wasn't that great.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was.

Good news for any xbox360 player. Even if the game is a turd it's a step in the right direction. That being said not sure what all the negativity is about, it seems as every time a new feature is added to xbox live people come out of the wood work to complain.

Little slow to the free to play phenomenon MS. Looks like all of the transactions for this game are cosmetic, which I dig. Can play to my heart's content and chip in $5 if I feel like it and get some sweat threads for my virtual doll too.

[quote name='hufferstl']1 vs 100 wasn't that great.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Anytime something is taken away it makes people believe it was better than it was though.

This looks like it could be fun to play. Get 30 friends together and just go at it for a while. Sounds like a good night of fun.

FriskyTanuki: It would just be nice to have this thread NOT be about 1 vs. 100. I'm glad people liked it, but it is gone. Forever. I have high hopes for Happy Wars, especially since it is free. Once the game comes out if it doesn't live up to the glory that you think 1 vs 100 had, then let's have a conversation about it.

I agree. 1 vs 100 has its place. But we don't need people to regurgitate it in every single thread from Poker to Happy Wars or anything else that is semirelated. If you want to reminisce about 1 vs 100, create a thread about 1 vs 100. discussing 1v100 in this thread is threadjacking it...

If this thread is meant to be 1 vs 100 and only referring to Happy Wars, then we should make another thread for Happy Wars.

[quote name='hufferstl']FriskyTanuki: It would just be nice to have this thread NOT be about 1 vs. 100. I'm glad people liked it, but it is gone. Forever. I have high hopes for Happy Wars, especially since it is free. Once the game comes out if it doesn't live up to the glory that you think 1 vs 100 had, then let's have a conversation about it.[/QUOTE]
Then why not try sending the OP a message to take it out of the title, as that was just asking for this thread to be all about comparing this game to 1 vs 100 when there's next to nothing to compare besides the price. Don't blame me for this or act like it came out of nowhere.

Apparently I should not have made the comparison. All I meant was that this was going to be free for Xbox Live Gold members. A bonus for Gold members. So it's in that sense the replacement for 1 vs. 100. But yeah, I see that putting that in there was a mistake. LOL!

Done. Hope everyone is happy now. :) To me this game looks fun. Of course I could be proved wrong, but I'm glad to see them giving a new benefit to gold members and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

[quote name='Sistros']Free? I have a hunch good items/equipment will be worth MS points.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda the definition of Free 2 Play.

If it's like that I'll be disappointed. I was thinking this was a freebie like that other game was, perhaps with costumes and things for people to buy if they want, but not game changing items/equipment. If it's a free-to-play with money needing to be spent to compete, well then that will suck. I guess we will find out.

there's lots of different types of free to play. It can be something like Farmville. You can get a good experience without ever paying a cent. Or you can get some neat items for small cost. It's like buying stuff for your Xbox avatar but now it's in a game and actually usable. There's an Xbox friend of mine that spends literally $5-10/week on avatar stuff from lightsabers to beach clothing to sunglasses. People do this kind of stuff. It's surreal.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to a F2P model after disappointing subscription rates and retention.

If you want to be cheap, you can level up your character by grinding for hours. Or you can pay for items that'll help you level up faster. That's the allure of F2P. It's as cheap or as much as you want it to be. Very rarely (more like extremely rare) do you need to spend money to finish a F2P game.

Where the cost benefits weigh in is will you buy enough to make it cost the same as a full-priced traditional title? For many, it will never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL7lXydozU8
You take a free game like Tribes: Ascend which is a F2P FPS game. For many people, they'll never even get close to spending $60 like they would've on Call of Duty. I know people that have never spent a penny on Tribes and are having a blast with it. A new major title from Crytek will be a F2P FPS game as well.

Ok, but I hate grindy games. And in this case it's a multiplayer battle, so if some people can get a huge advantage by spending real money, the allure will die off pretty quickly for me. I want a game that is a benefit for paying for Gold membership, which already rakes in lots of cash for them, not a cash cow in its own right on top of Gold membership. I.e. like that other game, which is where I was going with that comparison, but maybe that comparison was never even close to right. Well, I'm still holding out hope that I was right. We will find out.

grindy games are uber popular. you grind in Mass Effect. you grind in Skyrim. you grind in Minecraft. heck, you have to grind to level up your abilities in Gears of War 3 horde.

Yes, it's always a challenge for the developer to get the right balance. It's their job and if they make it so that people who pay are at a distinct advantage, the developer is killing their own product. But years after doing this kind of stuff, many developers have gotten it right.

But let's take a fantasy scenario? What if you could buy a lightsaber for your character for $2? While it only doles out the same hit damage as a free mace, I'm sure a lot of people would pay $2 for that lightsaber just for the cool look of slicing through people even though it doesn't give a competitive advantage.

Or how about a Gears of War 3? Right now, you have to play a ton of horde in order to level up to the max ability for your silverback. And even once you level up the ability, it still takes a ton of cash just to be able to purchase it. How about buying the max ability for $2? That person wouldn't be at an advantage over a normal person because the restriction of needing a ton of cash to purchase it would still be there. That $2 wouldn't negate the skill needed to kill enough people to accumulate enough cash to afford that fantastical silverback. All that $2 would save you is the weeks or months of grinding to reach the ability to buy the best silverback.

I don't want to threadjack but there's another F2P game coming out and it's an action game (in the vein of God of War) called Ascend: New Gods:

http://www.xblafans.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/07/Ascend-New-Gods-Combat.jpg

Ascend-New-Gods.jpg

A beta for this just came out to people in the Fall Update Public Beta. Navigate to the Beta tab and click 'more'. Should have a picture of Happy Wars, just click and download.

its a cute game and they have multiple mechanics to get people items they would probably spend in game $ or MSP for, and it feels like an arcade game. No harm, no foul, will be interesting to see what happens with it

[quote name='theredworm']I haven't finished the tutorial and I'm not sure I'll play it much more.[/QUOTE]
I finished the first one and had fun...by the third I was slightly bored.

The online is fun, but I can see it becoming very boring unless you play it with a large number of friends. 2 or 3 friends just won't make up for how overwhelming a good team can be. I only got into 3 games after long waits with matchmaking, and the 3rd game disconnected 5-6 minutes in because of "Hot Time." I guess that's when they update the servers?

4 players were already over level 20, with one guy at 26. Obviously they were much harder to battle, and could easily take out a few lower levels without issue. This is why I don't think the game will last long. The adequately described 'no life's' (if their rank is over 20 the day a game comes out, there's no other way to describe them) will ruin it because of how high their ranks will be in comparison to the casual player.

I think it did say something about rank resets, but I don't see that as being a fix. These obsessed will easily regain an unhealthily high rank in the time period it takes casuals to restart their pursuit of a double digit rank.

You need a setup where their is no benefit to rank, other than experience. I know unlocks keep games going, like Call of Duty has presented, but certain games will not work well when new entrants can't compete with a player 10 ranks above them. And this is only the first day of the Beta.

[quote name='Dthib87']matchmaking doesnt work for me, gets stuck. oh well ill try again tomorrow[/QUOTE]
When I got it to work it took a long time. First the game tries to connect you with players, and then it says something about loading skills, or something to that effect. That takes about as long as the connecting to players does. You can slightly customize your characters appearances with the items you use, so I guess it has to load individual assets.

Once you get into a match, if you stay with it, the next games load much faster, as you stay with your current team.

Considering that, it might not be a bad idea to have a CAG team of some sort, so at least you'd have a team to play and communicate with, while also being able to find games and avoid the painful loading times. I just don't think people would be keen on it.

I had a good time on this with a friend earlier today. It has some obvious kinks that need to be worked out. Like locking up peoples xbox constantly lol. Reminds me of castle crashers but better.

I have put in a couple of hours and have to say this game is pretty fun! I have only played as the warrior but it seems to me that the mage is strong as hell attack-wise. I havent ventured into versus yet and have just played co-op with a couple of friends and randoms and will probably play that way for quite a while since I am very low level and don't feel like getting destroyed yet. lol

They've done some updates to this game, and the matchmaking doesn't take nearly as long to find players or get games started. They also had a cooperative quest going on this month to unlock special rewards. It just ended, but they're supposed to be doing one next month, hopefully for Clerics.

Try this game again now if you didn't like it before.

Get free Happy Tickets from 12/12 to 12/25.
Santa is coming to Happy Wars! It's the holiday season in Happy Wars World. As a holiday present from Happy Wars, we're giving 80 Happy Tickets to our favorite fans.
Make sure to play Happy Wars to get your 80 free Happy Tickets. Happy Tickets allow you to purchase premium card packs for potential better weapons, armor, and accessories. You can also use them to buy special appearances for your character (skins, hair, facial expressions...). 80 tickets can buy you a few card packs, so this could be a useful start for new players.

They've also recently added the Clerics other class, the Engineer. The Engineer class allows you to build better weapons for defense (miniguns and rocket launchers), as well as a potential robot/mech to use for combat. That means all three classes have an added class to pick from; Warrior/Berserker, Mage/Zephyr, Cleric/Engineer.

If anyone needs help with this game, we could try to make a CAG group. I'm a level 53, and usually only play Cooperative (human team versus a bot team) or Castle Defense (defend the castle from bot attackers for several waves of increasing difficulty), when it's available.

Happy Cards are 33% off until Christmas (December 25th).  That means you'd potentially get more with your 80 free Happy Tickets you get so long as you play before Christmas.

I'll stop posting in this thread, as it seems to be dead.  Just a final alert though.

So I started playing this game yesterday... Weren't you supposed to get 80 free tickets for playing before Christmas? I don't think I got anything, unless I'm not looking in the right place.

So I started playing this game yesterday... Weren't you supposed to get 80 free tickets for playing before Christmas? I don't think I got anything, unless I'm not looking in the right place.
Try logging in again before tonight. It shouldn't be an issue, but maybe it takes time to get it to you. If you don't get tonight, try logging in just after midnight to see if it triggers it. Also, check the item shop and see if you have the 80 tickets in your inventory. There's supposed to be a pop-up prompt that says you've been gifted 80 tickets with a jingle as well, but maybe it just didn't go off.

Well after an update, another update and another update lol, I got the game up and running and found there's a treasure map for this month (going to the 31st). I got 800 Happy Stars just for clicking on it, 300 for clicking on Mission Mode and I had a bunch of rewards for some of the things like finishing tutorials/play multiplayer/spin the wheel, I did a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been doing the Treasure Map since March, I think.  It takes 21 days to get to the end, so you can miss a few days each month and still get to the end of it (it's always the same map).  The blue treasure chests contain Premium items, while the Gold one contains a Super Premium.  Those are the good weapons, armor, and equipment you want.  The map seems to move to the next day at Midnight Eastern Standard Time, so just check in once a day to get your next step and reward.  

If you finish the map before the month is out, each subsequent day rewards you with more credits, which can be used to upgrade items, play on the Happy Spinner, or to potentially buy power-ups during matches.

I think until the New Year they're giving 50% bonus XP for multiplayer matches, so if you're looking to rank up you can get a bit more points from each game.  

And don't forget that playing with friends gains you extra credits at the end of rounds.  Like always, if any CAGs want to play with someone, let me know.  Cooperative mode is what I always play.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back