GAMESTOP/ImpulseDownloads BAD EXPERIENCE

lalagideon

CAGiversary!
Dear fellow CAGs:

I apologize if this is a bit longer than most posts here, but I wanted to get CAG feedback.

I received an email on my phone from GameStop yesterday informing me of a weekend sale for its PC download service, Impulse. Among the many deals it posted, there was a listing for Namco's INVERSION for 50% off (retail price $39.95). With all due respect to the developers, I was not interested enough in that game to pay full price, but at half off, I might listen. Clicking through the email, the game's page on the site listed it at $9.95. NOW, I was willing to buy. I immediately entered my credit card information and purchased the game.

Or, so I thought....

I later received an email that reads as follows:

Dear [my real name],

Our records indicate that you recently placed order number 3-----1 with us at GameStop.com. Thank you for your business.

Unfortunately our system was unable to process your order. This has resulted in the order's cancellation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As a possible solution, we would recommend these steps:

1. Contact your financial institution and confirm that the information they have on file matches with all the information you included when you placed your order.

2. Place another order on www.gamestop.com using a different form of payment.

If you require any further assistance, please feel free to reply to this email and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Best Regards,

GameStop PC Downloads Customer Service
GameStop.com
Power To The Players

When I arrived home, I immediately went to my computer and tried to repurchase the game again, but through PayPal (more than enough funds). It would not allow the sale. I called the customer service line to which a very nice woman informed me that the site/service was encountering "technical difficulties" and to try the next day (today). Fair enough, I thought. Every site has had its share of technical difficulties, right? I told the customer service representative that I was concerned that if I waited the 24 hours, the price may change. She assured me that because of the problem the site would continue the sale further. I was satisfied with this answer.

To nobody's surprise who will read this (I am sure), the price is now $19.95. Still "on sale" and correctly being 50% off. I called to inform GameStop that I had tried to purchase the game several times the day before but was not allowed by the site. The response was that I should "go to the store and try to purchase it there."

I suspect GameStop fucked up by incorrectly pricing the game and are trying to cover it up through dishonest means. Am I wrong for feeling annoyed? They advertised a sale, I took the bait, attempted to buy the game at the price listed, but was not allowed.

Sorry for the rant!

Gideon

DUDE. You are amazing. This is the ultimate F--K YOU to GameStop. They would have had my money. Now, it's going to Amazon. Good looking out, bro!

G

Good to hear that was sorted out for you. I would've been really annoyed and pissed off as you were if this happened to me.

It's pretty amazing. GameStop wants to get into the downloadable market and its attempts are awful. By the way, GameStop STILL has not responded to my complaint/request email. I think I'll preempt it by sending my Amazon receipt. :)

Thanks, as always, to CAG for having such an awesome and fair community.

bread's done
Back