Giana Sisters DS $8.26 @ Walmart

Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Giana Sisters for the DS is $8.26 at Walmart. It is in stock for site to store or FedEx office (free shipping and pickup), as well as shipping to home. It is also eligible for homefree (free shipping on orders of $45 or more). Basically, Giana Sisters is a Mario clone game series that has developed a cult following over the years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Giana-Sisters-DS-Ninetendo-DS/17771996

Also...
[quote name='Cheapskate']To clarify some confusion in the thread:

- It's not just a port of the C64 original, though you can find the original game hidden as one long unlockable bonus level, though it can be difficult to get to.

- Along with all new levels, it includes some new power-ups. It's as much a jump from the original as Super Mario World is to SMB1.

- There are no issues with the US edition that I am aware of. I bought it during a previous Newegg sale earlier in the year.[/QUOTE]

Originally, this thread was for when this game went on sale at Newegg. I just edited the OP, rather than making an entirely new thread. Original posting is here, for reference:
Cheapest place for this one, and not everywhere seems to be carrying it. GS only has a used listing with no boxart, and no inventory for 100 miles from me (and i'm in Chicago). Amazon doesn't seem to have a listing for the NTSC version, unless I missed it. Giana Sisters is a Mario clone game series that has a bit of a cult following.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I haven't heard of this one. Well, I mean i've heard of Giana Sisters, and I know there's an iphone version out there but I never knew about the DS version. Is it the same as the iOS game?

[quote name='iamsmart']Hmm... I haven't heard of this one. Well, I mean i've heard of Giana Sisters, and I know there's an iphone version out there but I never knew about the DS version. Is it the same as the iOS game?[/QUOTE]

wikipedia says it's the commodore 64 one (with updated graphics and what not), but that's wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt.

here's the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-vRJuXK0A

Oooooh yeah. I think this went down as the first major copyright infringement or.game rip off in videogame history or something like that. It was just Mario with girls instead

[quote name='kodave']I heard there were issues with the DS port of this.[/QUOTE]

I never had issues with my copy I got from Newegg. Great game to add to the DS collection.

[quote name='6er']Oooooh yeah. I think this went down as the first major copyright infringement or.game rip off in videogame history or something like that. It was just Mario with girls instead[/QUOTE]

Hmm? I'll have to read into that one. I never heard about this game...

Destructoid:

Whereas the New Super Mario Bros. games feel like natural upgrades to the NES originals, Giana Sisters DS feels too rooted in bare bones retro sensibilities. This game ought to be named Collecting Shit because that's all you ever do. It has more in common with that free Flash game Mission in Snowdriftland than with the spate of enjoyably bizarre platform games available on the Nintendo DS. It plays so disgustingly safe that children who wear reflective clothing and knee pads while sitting on the front lawn at two in the afternoon are more daring in comparison.
I suppose if you were a C64 child, Giana Sisters DS is your homecoming. For everyone else, it's about as average as you can imagine a game could be. It's no mystery why Nintendo no longer feels threatened by this shameless pretender.

But Nintendo Life and Nintendo Power essentially gave it 9/10s.

Thanks op and thanks to the dude that posted the YouTube video. I've never heard of this before but it looks fun enough.

To clarify some confusion in the thread:

- It's not just a port of the C64 original, though you can find the original game hidden as one long unlockable bonus level, though it can be difficult to get to.

- Along with all new levels, it includes some new power-ups. It's as much a jump from the original as Super Mario World is to SMB1.

- There are no issues with the US edition that I am aware of. I bought it during a previous Newegg sale earlier in the year.

I think newegg has had it at this price for a long time. Kohls also sells it for about the same if you buy it during the 30% off sales.

[quote name='Y2JerichoHALic55']Does this carry the Nintendo seal of approval? Is this authorized by Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking serious?

Excellent platformer, albeit a little on the easy side. I never experienced any issues of any kind.

Achievement whores take note, the game even has a mini set of them you can earn.

Really fun old school style platformer. Recommended!

Also, its only $9.99 used at Gamestop if any have it around you.

Picked this up recently. Played through - Activity Log clocks me in at about eight hours. It was fun - a very basic, SMB1-ish game. Worth the buy-in, if you like old-school platformers or want something basic for the kids.

I picked this up awhile ago. It isn't very good, at least I didn't think. You're better off just putting your money towards the new one on Steam.

[quote name='UncleBob']Picked this up recently. Played through - Activity Log clocks me in at about eight hours. It was fun - a very basic, SMB1-ish game. Worth the buy-in, if you like old-school platformers or want something basic for the kids.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, how many achievements did you unlock? Iirc they call them something other than achievements but I can't remember...

Also- this is one of the games that are part of Walmart's 3-for-$20 DS promo... I picked up this, The Legendary Starfy and Chibi-Robo Park Patrol. Not bad for this and two Nintendo published games.

I just finished this game over the weekend. Starts off extremely easy and slowly works it's way up to frustratingly hard. I finished all the main levels, but after world 6, I gave up on trying to get all the red gems. No thanks.

But it was worth $10 and I'd recommend it to people who like 2D platformers.

MjC

[quote name='Squarehard']Well you got me.

Bought.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know this was you at first without the slime plushie emoticon lol

Am the only one that thought, "Woah, Gianna Michaels made a game for the DS?" It brings a new meaning to the DS trying to get a more hardcore audience.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I didn't even know this was you at first without the slime plushie emoticon lol[/QUOTE]

I confuse myself sometimes too when I'm trying to find my old posts in certain threads. Times have changed. :*(

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I didn't really want to start a new one for this.  A third party seller on Amazon apparently has gotten a decent number of these in stock new (currently 10 plus available).  I purchased one last week and it came today and appears to be a factory sealed copy of the Destineer-published US release that has been impossible to find new for a few years now.  The price is $17.49 plus $3.99 shipping.  I'd suggest picking one up if you have been searching for a complete copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YP0G5K?keywords=giana%20sisters%20ds&qid=1450120240&ref_=sr_1_1&s=videogames&sr=1-1

I guess there is also the possibility this was reprinted which would mean other sellers will soon be listing it.  We'll find out soon.

I'm a sucker for hard to find Nintendo games, but it makes me sad that I missed out on a 3 for 20 deal.  Even if it was 3 years ago. 

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I didn't really want to start a new one for this. A third party seller on Amazon apparently has gotten a decent number of these in stock new (currently 10 plus available). I purchased one last week and it came today and appears to be a factory sealed copy of the Destineer-published US release that has been impossible to find new for a few years now. The price is $17.49 plus $3.99 shipping. I'd suggest picking one up if you have been searching for a complete copy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YP0G5K?keywords=giana%20sisters%20ds&qid=1450120240&ref_=sr_1_1&s=videogames&sr=1-1

I guess there is also the possibility this was reprinted which would mean other sellers will soon be listing it. We'll find out soon.
Thanks grabbed one.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back