Bethesda: Skyrim DLC On PS3 "Not A Problem We're Positive We Can Solve"

koalak

CAGiversary!
From here:

Bethesda: Skyrim DLC On PS3 "Not A Problem We're Positive We Can Solve"

Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you're talking about sizable content like Dawnguard. We have tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone.

The PS3 is a powerful system, and we're working hard to deliver the content you guys want. Dawnguard is obviously not the only DLC we've been working on either, so the issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we're positive we can solve..."

Thoughts? Looks like PS3 users might never get SKyrim DLCs?

Sounds like Bethesda is running out of talent. People have known for years their game engine is dated, but this may be the final nail in the coffin for me this gen. I was eyeing Skyrim with my GS credit, now...I'm pretty sure I'll pick up Mass Effect 3.

wow. after all these years and ps3 players are still getting the shaft. wild.
i really loved the fall out series, but i think i need to personally boycott bethesda.
i really like my games to work, and to have the whole package.
and with fo3 goty, fo nv ultimate, and now skyrim. it's just that ps3 players get the shitty deal.
ugh

My guess is they decided that the mount of time/$ it will take to get it to work properly isn't going to be worth the amount they think they'll make on it.

They also are probably tired of people bashing them for releasing broken stuff on PS3, so they are going to take the "high road" by not putting it out at all.

Maybe Sony needs to bribe them the way MS does?

I guess I'm confused on how the PS3 is having there problems while the Xbox360 has none. Aren't they very similar in power for this sort of thing?

[quote name='momouchi']I guess I'm confused on how the PS3 is having there problems while the Xbox360 has none. Aren't they very similar in power for this sort of thing?[/QUOTE]

Similar power, yes, but the PS3 is harder to program for and harder to utilize the power it has (or so I've read).

Some companies (Rockstar, Avalanche, Gearbox, Ubisoft) seem to be able to work with both PS3 and 360 better than others (Bethesda, cough).

The PS3 versions of Bethesda games are notorious for their issues, yet they are some of the best western RPG's around, so everyone still buys them and just learns to deal with the issues (like learning to save every 5-10 mins in FO 3).

I'm not terribly disappointed by this. Skyrim has been a cluster fuck on the PS3 since I bought it day one. It runs fine now though, after MANY updates, and I personally cant complain as I've put 70 hours in and never lost a save...just many freezes.

Skyrim is so huge that vampire DLC is meh for me, but it is sad Bethesda cant work this out, I would think Sony would send help their way as it makes the PS3 look bad. If you want to play Skyrim it's obvious which system you buy.

Glad I am not a fan of this type of game. So I dont care they cant figure out the issues on PS3. But its pretty sad they are the only developer I have heard of with these issues. How is it Rockstar and others with open world games can make their games run fine and Bethesda cant? Sucks for those that like this game and only have a PS3.

[quote name='momouchi']I guess I'm confused on how the PS3 is having there problems while the Xbox360 has none. Aren't they very similar in power for this sort of thing?[/QUOTE]

My very-high-level understanding is that while the overall power levels of the consoles are very similar, the PS3 has a lot less RAM. That doesn't make a lot of difference for most games or I guess there are other ways to compensate, but for a Bethesda game where your save file contains the entire world state with data on potentially thousands of items and NPCs, it becomes too big to handle, stuff is constantly being swapped between RAM and the HDD and back again, and you get a mess of slowdown and freezes.

[quote name='Abear21']

I would think Sony would send help their way as it makes the PS3 look bad [/QUOTE]

I was thinking Sony would/should offer to help since they probably stand to make a bunch on money selling the DLC through the PS Store.

Solution? Just buy these games on the platform it looks best and has crazy mod support from the community: PC.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My very-high-level understanding is that while the overall power levels of the consoles are very similar, the PS3 has a lot less RAM. That doesn't make a lot of difference for most games or I guess there are other ways to compensate, but for a Bethesda game where your save file contains the entire world state with data on potentially thousands of items and NPCs, it becomes too big to handle, stuff is constantly being swapped between RAM and the HDD and back again, and you get a mess of slowdown and freezes.[/QUOTE]

"Very-high-level" eh? Last I checked the PS3 OS was using somewhere around 48 MB out of the 512 total. While the PS3 RAM is split into two pieces of 256 MB each, total RAM available to developers is at least 464 MB. The 360 OS uses (last I checked) about 30 MB, leaving developers about 482 MB.

Now, while that extra 18 MB is valuable, it doesn't explain why Bethesda still has trouble programming on the PS3. The games look inferior graphically (not by much mind your) so where is the hang-up? From an outside perspective, it simply looks as though their programmers aren't as capable as almost every other development studio...

[quote name='Velo214']wow. after all these years and ps3 players are still getting the shaft. wild.
i really loved the fall out series, but i think i need to personally boycott bethesda.
i really like my games to work, and to have the whole package.
and with fo3 goty, fo nv ultimate, and now skyrim. it's just that ps3 players get the shitty deal.
ugh[/QUOTE]

then when ps3 players boycott their games they'll put even less effort into the ps3 versions, probably one day deciding to just skip it altogether. they can go f'ck themselves as far as i'm concerned. this is a slap in the face to all ps3 owners.

[quote name='wrencrest']Glad I am not a fan of this type of game. So I dont care they cant figure out the issues on PS3. But its pretty sad they are the only developer I have heard of with these issues. How is it Rockstar and others with open world games can make their games run fine and Bethesda cant? Sucks for those that like this game and only have a PS3.[/QUOTE]

it makes it look like bethesda really doesn't give a f'ck. they're in bed with the 360/ms, and they couldn't care less about ps3 users.

[quote name='SynGamer']"Very-high-level" eh? Last I checked the PS3 OS was using somewhere around 48 MB out of the 512 total. While the PS3 RAM is split into two pieces of 256 MB each, total RAM available to developers is at least 464 MB. The 360 OS uses (last I checked) about 30 MB, leaving developers about 482 MB.

Now, while that extra 18 MB is valuable, it doesn't explain why Bethesda still has trouble programming on the PS3. The games look inferior graphically (not by much mind your) so where is the hang-up? From an outside perspective, it simply looks as though their programmers aren't as capable as almost every other development studio...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, very high level as in "very general." :) I don't pretend to have an intricate understanding of the actual programming.

I did read in Digital Foundry that while both systems have ~512 mb of total RAM available (minus what the OS is using and whatever else), the PS3 reserves half of it for display/graphics and the other half for general usage, but the 360 doesn't. So for a game like Skyrim which needs as much RAM as possible for world state data, it is effectively a big difference between the two systems.

So after playing Skyrim on the PS3 since release I switched to the 360 version today. With the F-You attitude Bethesda has towards the PS3 players, and no guarantee we'll be getting any of the DLC's it was just time to make the switch. The fact that I had a free Dawnguard from the beta helped ease the switch over.

Hopefully they'll come through and get everything out for the PS3 players ASAP. Just couldn't wait anymore myself.

I got to thinking, I wonder if it is due to the fact that the version of the game on the disk is so broken and they have barely been able to band aid that up with patches so it doesn't constantly crash and freeze. I wonder if adding more stuff on top of the band aid patches will just mess it up again/more, and the only way to integrate the DLC would be a complete re-work and disc based release that isn't possible via patching alone.

I never really got into this game, but it sucks how PS3 owners are getting screwed here. Im hoping Dishonored doesn't suffer from the same issues.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']I never really got into this game, but it sucks how PS3 owners are getting screwed here. Im hoping Dishonored doesn't suffer from the same issues.[/QUOTE]

thats why i always watch reviews from, and watch earlier gameplays from games before official release, before deciding to make the purchase

[quote name='Gamer4life88']I never really got into this game, but it sucks how PS3 owners are getting screwed here. Im hoping Dishonored doesn't suffer from the same issues.[/QUOTE]

You and me both.

I still have hope that someone out there in the company is fixing the game and will merely released a "fixed" GOTY game.

Bethesda's forward-facing arm comprised of Todd Howard, Pete Hines, and Nick Breckon have all outright lied to customers and without a significant sea-change in the studio I simply do not see this ingrained culture of fucking over PS3 users and fucking up PS3 ports changing anytime soon.

Now as for Dishonored: There is a very angry contingent on the Bethesda forums which is promising to torpedo Dishonored's user scores just because it is the next proper release with Bethesda on the box. (as the publisher mind you but rationality left the building long ago when it comes to all things Bethesda on PS3)

edit: Oh and anyone even remotely considering picking up a GOTY edition of Skyrim should borrow/rent either Fallout 3 GOTY edition or Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition on PS3. (cratering framerates, hardlocks, data corruption, etc.)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Bethesda's forward-facing arm comprised of Todd Howard, Pete Hines, and Nick Breckon have all outright lied to customers and without a significant sea-change in the studio I simply do not see this ingrained culture of fucking over PS3 users and fucking up PS3 ports changing anytime soon.

Now as for Dishonored: There is a very angry contingent on the Bethesda forums which is promising to torpedo Dishonored's user scores just because it is the next proper release with Bethesda on the box. (as the publisher mind you but rationality left the building long ago when it comes to all things Bethesda on PS3)

edit: Oh and anyone even remotely considering picking up a GOTY edition of Skyrim should borrow/rent either Fallout 3 GOTY edition or Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition on PS3. (cratering framerates, hardlocks, data corruption, etc.)[/QUOTE]

wasn't rage made by bethesda or something? i am not certain. if it is, then that is probably the only playable game from bethesda

[quote name='YBX87']wasn't rage made by bethesda or something? i am not certain. if it is, then that is probably the only playable game from bethesda[/QUOTE]

id Software, the makers of Doom made the game. I think Bethesda just released it.

Rage was developed by id and published by Bethesda.

It is worth noting that id, under Bethesda, released a PS3 port with awful texture issues and a PC port which barely even worked for ATI users on PC.

Correlation is not causation and so forth but it's definitely interesting in hindsight.

LOL @ people who think metacritic user scores have a shred of credibility. OH NOES DEY GON GIVE UZ A ZERO!!!1!111!!

ps3 darksiders II is sitting at 0.8 right now user score. sleeping dogs at 3.8 and ratchet and clank collection at 1.8

I never had any problems with skyrim on ps3 but i heard fallout 3 was all jacked up and didn't look as good. The ps3 is too exotic for bethesda apparently but to me skyrim looks and plays great, but its the only game i have played from them.

[quote name='8bitArtist']LOL @ people who think metacritic user scores have a shred of credibility.[/QUOTE]

The user scores at Metacritic are irrelevant because Metacritic isn't a retailer.

An abundance of horrible ratings sitting next to the buy now button at 'insert retailer here' is what developers/publishers need to worry about.

[quote name='8bitArtist']LOL @ people who think metacritic user scores have a shred of credibility. OH NOES DEY GON GIVE UZ A ZERO!!!1!111!!

ps3 darksiders II is sitting at 0.8 right now user score. sleeping dogs at 3.8 and ratchet and clank collection at 1.8[/QUOTE]

Was Darksiders II bungled on PS3 or something?

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Was Darksiders II bungled on PS3 or something?[/QUOTE]

Most of the negative user reviews are spam.

bread's done
Back