What classic games are at the top of your to-do list??

whataboutbob?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So while browsing through the Wii shop channel a couple of days ago (this being the first time ive turned my Wii on in close to a year) I kept scrolling past games that Ive played a million times....but just had never beaten. The main game that always stands out for me is Metroid.

I had this game as a kid, put lots of time into it, but just couldnt ever seem to get that far and I always wanted to make my way through it w/o any help from a walkthrough or faq....you know, do it proper (but pull my hair out in the process). I even put it in again a few yrs ago expecting to finally breeze through it now that im so much older and wiser :).....yeah, you guessed it, didnt quite happen that way.

This time though something different happened. I lucked out and found an area that I had always missed, found the freeze beam and hi boots and it has completely changed the game. Made it to both mini bosses and beat them...now headed to Mother Brain!!! (i feel like im 8 again and cant wait to tell my friends at school) :)

I say all this to bring up the point Im so slowly getting to....What popular and top rated game(s) have you just never gotten around to playing/beating for one reason or another???

Here's a sample of my list (which only includes up to ps1/n64 era...the list grows exponentially when i include the past couple of gens):

-Metroid --- working on that now!
-Zelda 2 --- always get stuck in either the 3rd or 4th dungeon
-Mike Tyson's Punchout --- always get my butt handed to me by Iron Mike
-All Castlevania's --- just never been fond of any of them, plus Death always destroys me in 1
-Dragon Warrior --- never finished grinding to make it to get through last castle (i think...its been awhile)
-Final Fantasy --- played through all of them except 1 & 2
-Super Metroid --- going to get to that when I finish the first one
-Earthbound --- rented it as a kid but never finished...now too pricey for me
-Sonic --- never had Genesis as a kid, but played it a ton at friends houses
-Metal Gear Solid --- got a ps1 late in its life cycle and just never got around to it

This is just a small sample of my list. Curious to see if there are others out there like me. If nothing else though, this has just encouraged me to put down the 360 and ps3 for awhile and go back to old school for a nice change of pace.

edit: just beat Metroid, now on to Super Metroid!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started playing, but never finished Zelda: Link's Awakening. I would say that one is on the top of my to-do list. I picked up a copy of XenoGears as well a month ago, but I'll probably wait on jumping into that one, it will almost certainly take a long time.

I also started playing through Silent Hill 2 without finishing it. I really need to put some time into that one.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']So while browsing through the Wii shop channel a couple of days ago (this being the first time ive turned my Wii on in close to a year) I kept scrolling past games that Ive played a million times....but just had never beaten. The main game that always stands out for me is Metroid.

I had this game as a kid, put lots of time into it, but just couldnt ever seem to get that far and I always wanted to make my way through it w/o any help from a walkthrough or faq....you know, do it proper (but pull my hair out in the process). I even put it in again a few yrs ago expecting to finally breeze through it now that im so much older and wiser :).....yeah, you guessed it, didnt quite happen that way.

This time though something different happened. I lucked out and found an area that I had always missed, found the freeze beam and hi boots and it has completely changed the game. Made it to both mini bosses and beat them...now headed to Mother Brain!!! (i feel like im 8 again and cant wait to tell my friends at school) :)

I say all this to bring up the point Im so slowly getting to....What popular and top rated game(s) have you just never gotten around to playing/beating for one reason or another???

Here's a sample of my list (which only includes up to ps1/n64 era...the list grows exponentially when i include the past couple of gens):

-Metroid --- working on that now!
-Zelda 2 --- always get stuck in either the 3rd or 4th dungeon
-Mike Tyson's Punchout --- always get my butt handed to me by Iron Mike
-All Castlevania's --- just never been fond of any of them, plus Death always destroys me in 1
-Dragon Warrior --- never finished grinding to make it to get through last castle (i think...its been awhile)
-Final Fantasy --- played through all of them except 1 & 2
-Super Metroid --- going to get to that when I finish the first one
-Earthbound --- rented it as a kid but never finished...now too pricey for me
-Sonic --- never had Genesis as a kid, but played it a ton at friends houses
-Metal Gear Solid --- got a ps1 late in its life cycle and just never got around to it

This is just a small sample of my list. Curious to see if there are others out there like me. If nothing else though, this has just encouraged me to put down the 360 and ps3 for awhile and go back to old school for a nice change of pace.

edit: just beat Metroid, now on to Super Metroid![/QUOTE]

I'm wondering how old are you now.:)just kidding but that was the pioneer for many games that released today.

[quote name='natali']I'm wondering how old are you now.:)just kidding but that was the pioneer for many games that released today.[/QUOTE]

Hah, 31 if you must know :) Finished Super Metroid earlier this week and started up Metal Gear Solid. Man, PS1 games look so dated now. I know all the others have been remade in HD, but has there been any remake of this that I'm unaware of? Kinda tough to play on a 52" tv

[quote name='Richard Kain']I started playing, but never finished Zelda: Link's Awakening. I would say that one is on the top of my to-do list. I picked up a copy of XenoGears as well a month ago, but I'll probably wait on jumping into that one, it will almost certainly take a long time.

I also started playing through Silent Hill 2 without finishing it. I really need to put some time into that one.[/QUOTE]

Links awakening is a great game. I vividly remember having to talk my grandfather into buying that on a random trip to Walmart when I was a young whipper-snapper. Took a while for me to beat it. Actually, all the Zelda games on gameboy were great. If you haven't played Ages or Seasons I highly recommend those as well

[quote name='whataboutbob?']Hah, 31 if you must know :) Finished Super Metroid earlier this week and started up Metal Gear Solid. Man, PS1 games look so dated now. I know all the others have been remade in HD, but has there been any remake of this that I'm unaware of? Kinda tough to play on a 52" tv[/QUOTE]

If you can find it, your best bet for a remake is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube. Silicon Knights did the remake work on this one and while it isn't quite HD, they did end up using the MGS2 engine on it and it looks much better on and HDTV than the PSone version does.

[quote name='dumlaox']If you can find it, your best bet for a remake is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube. Silicon Knights did the remake work on this one and while it isn't quite HD, they did end up using the MGS2 engine on it and it looks much better on and HDTV than the PSone version does.[/QUOTE]

1) did they change much except for improving graphics?
2) checked on amazon and cheapest I could find was $40, eBay a little cheaper - looked to be avg about $30. Dunno if it would be worth that much. Any other spots u recommend me checking?

[quote name='whataboutbob?']1) did they change much except for improving graphics?
2) checked on amazon and cheapest I could find was $40, eBay a little cheaper - looked to be avg about $30. Dunno if it would be worth that much. Any other spots u recommend me checking?[/QUOTE]

1) AFAIK they added the abilities you have in MGS2 to the MGS1 remake. There may have been additional changes too.

What popular games have I not finished? Most of them. I've been gaming since kindergarden, but didn't really get into it until middle school or so.

Off the top of my head, I own but haven't finished:

Zelda 2, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Final Fantasy 2-6
Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Metroid
Metal Gear Solid
Xenogears (it's not even open)

I could keep going... it's just easier to buy them all then to find time to play them! It's turned into something of a running gag with my friends- they ask me about a game, and the answer is almost always "I have it, but I haven't played it yet."

I just made it through on Breath of Fire for SNES. Man, that felt good. As for the classics I'd like to get through...

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 (6), Secret of Mana, and Mega Man 3.

wow...I have a ton....

Off the top of my head:

Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Super Mario Bros 3 (always just got the flutes lol)
Yoshis Island
Chrono Trigger (ashamed I havent played this yet...Im an RPG guy)
Chrono Cross
Halo (is this classic at this point lol?)
Xenogears
Star Ocean (any of them)
Final Fantasy 1,2,3,5
DK 64
DK Country 2,3
Nights into Dreams

I caught up pretty good with my old-school back log. In recent years I've beat Earthbound, a Castlevania games, Metal Storm, Little Samson, Rocket Knight Adventures.

A few I still need to tackle:
Startropics - Stuck in a difficult dungeon
Castlevania: Dracula X (TG-16) - At Death, he's hard
Tales of Destiny - Still trying to find a copy

And I just got the Monster World Collection. I plan on beating them all one day.

[quote name='GUNNM']Super Castlevania IV never did finish it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, me neither. Never will. Sorry, Simon.

We didn't get that many games for the SNES given the pricing, so I remember how it went down: I was close to buying SC4, this was in the summer sometime. Rented it a couple times, thought to myself, "Yes, this has replayability, this is good." Then Super Mario Kart was released. Played the SMK demo, bought SMK, there went the cash for SC4.

Then much later I bought SC4 on the VC in hopes of finishing the game, but dammit, I don't want to. Too many games to play.

[quote name='Rollobobo']I just made it through on Breath of Fire for SNES. Man, that felt good. As for the classics I'd like to get through...

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 (6), Secret of Mana, and Mega Man 3.[/QUOTE]

Just finished Super Metroid. Looking back at that game I can TOTALLY understand all the "best game of all-time" talk. It just feels like a game that does everything correctly without having to hold your hand. Everything is intuitive, yet it makes you feel intelligent when you reach a new area or new item. Games rarely feel like that anymore. Thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend playing it as soon as you can.

BUT... with that being said FF6 and SoM are both in my top 3 games of all-time (along w/ original Zelda). Would probably recommend playing FF6 first since it probably holds up the best imo.

Those are definitely some good ones youve got on your plate!

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']wow...I have a ton....

Off the top of my head:

Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Super Mario Bros 3 (always just got the flutes lol)
Yoshis Island
Chrono Trigger (ashamed I havent played this yet...Im an RPG guy)
Chrono Cross
Halo (is this classic at this point lol?)
Xenogears
Star Ocean (any of them)
Final Fantasy 1,2,3,5
DK 64
DK Country 2,3
Nights into Dreams[/QUOTE]

Same here w/ SMB3 :)

Chrono Trigger, man what a great game. I worked for a solid week as a kid at a poultry supply store counting inventory after school Mon-Fri and all day Saturday. Made $80 and spent it all on CT.....well worth it imo.

I bought ChronoCross a few yrs ago and played couple of hrs. Just couldnt get into it though.

I would consider Halo a classic by now :)

Never played DKC 3, but loved DKC 2. I think I did absolutely everything possible in that game...got all hidden coins, etc. Tons of fun

Adventure of Link. I almost beat it as a kid, but never finished. I started playing it again recently and it is much more difficult than I remember. Time to buckle down.

lets see i can only think of 3 off the top of my head :

1. Any of the old school 8 bit Megaman's
I could never beat any of the bosses. I've only ever played megaman 9 and I heard its suppose to hard so maybe that's why

2. Digimon world 3
I borrowed it from my neighbor but it was pretty scatched up so it would freeze so I never got to finish it. Bought Digimon world 1 thinking it would be similar but it was completely diffrent. (btw kept my neighbors copy since he never returned my megaman 64 hehe)

3. Megaman Legends
like i said above I let my neighbor borrow my megaman 64 which i never went to go get since i havent talked to him in years and at this point its just embarrassing. So i just traded on here for a copy of Megaman Legends which i haven't even gotten around to playing.

I went through a rut where I played and purchased a lot of games but didn't really beat any of them. I'd dabble for an hour or two and than lose interest. This pretty much lasted most of the PS/N64/Saturn generation and for a good chunk of start of the PS2 era. Needless to say, there were tons of great games that I didn't finish. As I got older, I got a lot more focused and that problem ended, so now I'm trying to prioritize the classic titles that I really have to play through, because I don't have time to play all the good games that I missed; I have to focus on what I consider the best. Some of my time ones that I have on my to do list:

Earthbound
Breath of Fire 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie
Paper Mario
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Klonoa
Tomba
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VIII
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile
Chrono Cross
Dragon Warrior 7

Those are what I'm focused on clearing first. There are countless other titles, but these are the ones I think I enjoyed the most but never really gave a fair shot.

[quote name='rewindtimegames']Adventure of Link. I almost beat it as a kid, but never finished. I started playing it again recently and it is much more difficult than I remember. Time to buckle down.[/QUOTE]

I just finally finished that this year. Is it the greatest Zelda game? Definitely not. However, it was a completely rewarding experience. It's not exactly great by Zelda standards, but it's head and shoulders above 99% of games from that generation.

My to-do list is a mile long - I recently bought my first Super Nintendo (I had all Sega stuff back in the day). I am starting off with Super Metroid and taking it from there :)

I actually bought the Hyperkin Retron 3 - SNES, Genesis, and NES all in one. It does s-video out and the emulation seems really good. The included wireless controllers are a joke, but can be easily discarded (there are ports to use original hardware wired controllers for each system included)

[quote name='M_Carp']I am starting off with Super Metroid and taking it from there :)[/QUOTE]

That is the correct way to start a journey into retro gaming. Arguably the high-water mark of the 16-bit generation. I would suggest moving onto a Link to the Past next.

[quote name='Richard Kain']That is the correct way to start a journey into retro gaming. Arguably the high-water mark of the 16-bit generation. I would suggest moving onto a Link to the Past next.[/QUOTE]

Super Metroid and a Link to the Past are both games that I get an itch to play every couple years. I've beat them both multiple times, but there is always something that brings me back to them. There are definitely other games like that for me, but you definitely can't go wrong starting your journey off with those. Both are definitely well up my list of greatest games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country for SNES. I got it for my 6th birthday and it's always been my favourite game of all time. Haven't beat it or played it in a good 5 years and I can't wait to play it again. Just bought a used SNES so hopefully I'll get to play soon.

Looking at my backlog, I still need to sit down with:

Harvest Moon 2 GBC
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Breath of Fire
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Ocarina of Time. Still haven't gotten around to it. Just bought a N64 again so it looks like it'll be happening soon.

I've been thinking of doing a run of all the SMB games with no warps. I fired up SMB the other day and it was really hard ;)

Other than that...
Kid Icarus (been on the list for years and years)
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Dragon Warrior 7
Far Cry
Half-Life 2

Panzer dragoon saga is atop of my to-do list. I played half way through and stopped so I can play my new system at that time, dreamcast.

List is going to be crazy long.
But i think i would start with all zeldas on nes snas .
Than maybe Final Fantasy.
Of course all Marios as well

[quote name='ricktor']Me too i love to play the Silent Hill 2 and yet i can't do it up to the end.[/QUOTE]

I stocked in few places in this game couple of times to.

I've been getting back into the Sega Saturn in a big way. I was introduced to the world of import gaming by way of the Saturn back in 1997 and overall I think the system still has my favorite library of games of all time. Most of my Saturn stuff is buried in my parents basement but after buying another Japanese Saturn off eBay, I'm back into collecting and playing the games. I even got an old CRT TV off Craigslist to play the system on. An S-video cable is in the mail. The stuff that I'm bidding on on eBay ranges from rare variants of games that I already have (looking for that standalone Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash), games I stupidly sold back in the day (hello D&D collection), and stuff that will be new to me (Saturn port of Metal Slug, Saturn port of Strikers 1945 II).

All I have here in my apartment with the Saturn right now is the still-great Samurai Shodown/Spirits III. Love that RAM cart.

[quote name='rewindtimegames']Adventure of Link. I almost beat it as a kid, but never finished. I started playing it again recently and it is much more difficult than I remember. Time to buckle down.[/QUOTE]

Finally finished off Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Man, that was rough! Cant imagine beating dark link without using the cheapskate method. It was fun, but it definitely is a black sheep among zelda games deservedly so. More stressful than fun imo. Now i think im going to work on the master quest from Zelda 1. Never really gave it much of a chance

Mainly just all of the classic point-and-click adventure games.

Monkey Island series, Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, etc.

Wasn't really into those types of games until recently. Aside from that, I've also recently gotten into games like Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, Grand Theft Auto, etc. so need to play some of the older stuff like GTA1-2, Yakuza series, so on and so forth.

And the Half-Life games. Need to play those at some point.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']Finally finished off Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Man, that was rough! Cant imagine beating dark link without using the cheapskate method. It was fun, but it definitely is a black sheep among zelda games deservedly so. More stressful than fun imo. Now i think im going to work on the master quest from Zelda 1. Never really gave it much of a chance[/QUOTE]

I think Adventure of Link is very underrated. It stands as the one Zelda game that is actually difficult. All the rest can stump you here and there but you can always FAQ your way through them. The combat in Adventure of Link is just something that you have to practice at. It isn't my favorite in the franchise (LTTP wins that I think) but it's probably in second or third.

I just finished playing through the original Bard's Tale again. I also want to get a Wasteland play through done before Wasteland 2 comes out.

I also recently bought a Tankstick that unfortunately arrived damaged. Can't wait for the replacement to show up so I can play some classic arcade side-scrolling beat 'em ups. First on my list would be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Spider-Man the arcade game. Neither is the best in the category but I haven't played them in a looooong time.

I own every Zelda game, some multiple times over when you factor in Virtual Console, the Gamecube Collector's Edition, re-releases... I think I actually own OoT in 5 forms (N64, CE, Master Quest disc, VC, 3DS)...

But I never really played any of them. I've started them and messed around a bit, but not really "played" them. I was looking through all the VC games I've bought and not finished when I just decided to dive into the original LoZ.

I didn't want to use a walkthrough, even though in the past I've been confused about where to go and whatnot (which is why I've given up on the game so many times, after finishing the first dungeon). Thankfully on the GameFAQs board, I found some links to scans of the original map that came with the NES version. Those were a good starting point. I started the game up last night, and played all the way until I finished the second dungeon. I'm looking forward to keeping at it until I finish it.

LoZ update: I got to the seventh dungeon last night, all the way up to the point where I realized I needed to buy some food to get past the "Grumble, grumble" part. I'll have to try to get that today, and hopefully finish the game in the next couple days.

I watched the Gametrailers retrospective of Metroid and now I really want to play the Prime series again. Luckly I have a friend who has the trilogy for Wii.

I finished the first Zelda. Good stuff. I started Kirby's Adventure on the Virtual Console. I had never played it before. It's actually the first Kirby I've ever played. It's okay. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it to finish it, though.

bread's done
Back