sega cdx anyone own one on cag?

rocky435

CAGiversary!
hey everyone,

I almost got a Sega CDX because it was pretty cheap on ebay with the price going to 65 to 80 dollars. I've wanted one for some time, since it is more compact and from what i've read can support the 32x.

My biggest two titles I'd like to play are Snatcher and earthworm jim cd since it is still the most complete version of earthworm jim with all levels intact. The biggest problem is that Snatcher costs usually 215 dollars. :cry: that's quite pricey.

I was curious of anyone's experience with one here since it's not a very common system with the price of it at the time and limited amount that was made. But it was definitely compact and ahead of it's time.

I hear that power adapter is hell to find. As you need an exactly 9.5 V for it to work properly. Using the Genesis cable doesn't count since it'll break your CDX eventually.

The CDX is much more difficult to find. It's one of Sega's rarest hardware iterations. I collect hardware, and have never actually seen a CDX at any of the stores I shop at.

If you want to play Sega CD games, you would find it easier to acquire a model 2 Sega CD. (the toploader) this is probably the most common, as well as one of the more reliable hardware models for the Sega CD.

If you just want to play Snatcher, you could always download the disc image (iso) from the internet and burn it to a CD. The Sega CD did no have any form of copy protection for burned discs (since it was released before CD burners became common) and no modifications are necessary for playing burned discs on it. This is not exactly a "legitimate" solution, but Snatcher hasn't had a commercial release in the U.S. since the original Sega CD release. And as you pointed out, copies of that game are prohibitively expensive.

Everything Richard said is 100% correct. You can just burn Sega CD games, and they're easy to find online.

But the CDX can most definitely NOT play 32x games, for that you'll need a 32x attachment and a genesis. Furthermore, you can't use a 32x on a CDX without modifying the CDX system via a challenging mod. So if 32x is important to you, you're better off going Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 Sega CD + 32X. If you do get a 32x, make sure you get the right cables with it, the cables are rare and expensive if bought separately.

Regardless, I'd also recommend buying an Everdrive MD, which is a flash cart for Genesis that plays roms from SD and supports Master System and 32x games provided the right hardware. Read about it at krikzz.com . Hard to find in stock, but I have one and it's _awesome_. Perhaps the best attribute is that you can patch Japanese roms that won't play on US systems (Bare Knuckle III for example) to make them work, so you don't need to region mod your hardware to play those few genesis games with region lockouts.

[quote name='erac3rx']Furthermore, you can't use a 32x on a CDX without modifying the CDX system via a challenging mod.[/QUOTE]

That's not true. The 32x works fine on the CDX, no mod required.

Jack's right. The instructions for the 32X say it's not compatible with the CDX but that's a lie. That's the main reason why people get confused on the issue.

As for the AC adapter I use my PS1 7.5V which can be found easily.

I have a CDX. Great little system and my personal fave if you're going for a Sega CD set up. It's got a bunch of great titles. Popful Mail is my all time favorite. I still have Pier Solar to finish.

I have 1 cdx and 2 sega cds. Ten years ago I worked at a place that bought old games and if we were working then I was allowed to purchase it out of pocket if they declined the set amounts offered for things so I got all of them for under 20 with games.

I didn't know Snatcher was worth so much. I don't have it but I know someone who used to so I'm going to check and see if he still does.
There is only 1 game I play anymore on the sega cd and that is third world war.

It's partially due to the greatly expanded popularity of Snatcher's producer, Hideo Kojima. At the time that Snatcher was released in the U.S., he hadn't quite made a name for himself. In the 80s, japanese developers rarely got credit or publicity for their work. Since then, the Metal Gear Solid series really took off, and Hideo Kojima has become very well known and popular as a game developer.

This has somewhat artificially increased demand for Snatcher. At the same time, it's true that the game had a limited print run on a much less popular system. It's a rare game by its very nature, received plenty of critical acclaim, and was produced by a rising star in the video game industry. And perhaps more importantly, it's never been re-released or bundled into a collection. The Sega CD version of Snatcher is the only commercial release the game has in the U.S.

I had several. They're cool and I used standard genesis ac adapters for years and it didn't break them. Eventually it will, but if years went by without it frying, I wonder how long that "eventually" is.

If you want the best of the combo units, I recommend the JVC Xeye. Has standard composite hookups and uses the standard genesis AC Adapter. On top of that, it also reads better than the original sega cd model 1 and 2.

I have one but when we moved to our house my wife put the cables and AC adopter in a bag and when all was moved in we never found that bag.

I have one but I haven't used it. It's in like the mintiest of mint condition and I can't bring myself to get it out of the box and mess it up. Once I build my nerd dungeon in my new apartment I might use it as my main retro console.

bread's done
Back