Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (AA5) - DLC episode released!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Ytx9kCf.jpg

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
10/24/2013; eShop-only (Demo available)
$30/€25
File Size: 4432 blocks (554MB)

PROMO ALERT: The Extra Costumes DLC will be free during the first two weeks after the game's release (10/24/2013 to 11/07/2013). This includes alternate costumes for Phoenix (Classic Phoenix), Apollo (Red Jacket), and Athena (Sailor Uniform). After the Promo period is over, the costumes DLC will be re-priced at $0.99, so make sure you grab it if you're buying the game at launch. (Source) (Promo over)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBUlKndLWo

Phoenix Wright is back in court! Join Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, and new junior partner Athena Cykes as they solve murder mysteries and clear their clients' names. Character models and environments are now rendered in 3D, with a few fully animated cutscenes to boot. All of the gameplay systems involving Phoenix and Apollo will make a return, with Athena bringing a new twist to the proceedings with her psycho-analysis gizmo. Athena, with her keen sense of hearing and psychoanalysis training, can identify the emotions behind each witness' testimony, leaving you to pick out the emotions that contradict the witness' statement, unlocking more testimony. Old friends and rivals return, and new characters are introduced, including this game's rival prosecutor, the convicted murderer Simon Blackquill (and Taka, his hawk companion).

There are 5 cases in the game, and a paid DLC case releasing shortly after launch.

TGS 2012 Japanese trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtEWAK_YcAo

Revealed in this week's Famitsu, Gyakuten Saiban 5 will star a somewhat older Phoenix Wright, restored to his defense attorney position. He has a new sidekick this time too, a lady wearing yellow and white clothes who is apparently central to the game's plot. Nintendo Everything has the Famitsu scans up, so you can see some screenshots for yourself:
http://nintendoeverything.com/98027/first-ace-attorney-5-scans/

Artwork and direct-feed screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/XhG9J.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EpiPI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6o3YN.jpg

AndriaSang has some info:
http://andriasang.com/con2kw/ace_attorney_5_tgs/

Tokyo Game Show attendees will get an early chance at playing Ace Attorney 5, as Famitsu reveals this week that the game will be playable at the event later this month. Capcom has prepared a fifteen minute demo, and will even reward those who line up with a special strap as a gift.

As we reported earlier, Famitsu confirms Ace Attorney 5 as a 3DS title featuring Phoenix Wright as the main character. The magazine also introduces a mysterious girl who wears yellow. She's a key person in the game, and will be properly introduced at Tokyo Game Show.

Ace Attorney 5 is set one year after the events of Ace Attorney 4 and sees Phoenix Wright return to being a lawyer. The game's first chapter involves an explosion at the courthouse. The charged is a high school girl named Shinobu. She's very weak and can go into spasms at any moment. In the courtroom, Wright will face off against Winston Payne's brother.

Famitsu has just three screenshots, but they hint at some new gameplay systems. Like Layton vs Ace Attorney, the game will have fully 3D characters. It appears that you'll be able to select to give certain facial expressions during testimony, as there are facial expression icons on the lower screen.

Based off the reports we're reading from people who get Famitsu in advance, Shu Takumi is not fully involved with Ace Attorney 5, as he's busy on Layton vs Ace Attorney. The magazine lists Motohide Eshiro as producer, Takeshi Yamazaki as scenario director, and Noriyuki Iwadare on music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! I wish Capcom would package all of the previous entries together for 3DS too, or make them available on the eShop.

Now that they aren't doing so hot especially since not everybody just wants to play RE and SF, maybe they will. But it's unlikely since it seems that they didn't even bother starting work on Investigations 2. I wish Nintendo could publish these here, especially since it isn't the first time they published a Capcom-developed game.

Wow, Phoenix looks even more dapper than before.

I hope they add something to make it a little fresh again. I got burned out near the end of the series. Also, where is my Phoenix Wright vs. Prof. Layton?! That's a system seller for me!

[quote name='blueshinra']Still want dat AAI2, Capcom...[/QUOTE]

^ This. I decided to import the "Greatest Hits" Japanese version of AAI2, so I can at least play it while I wait for Capcom to decide whether or not to stop screwing with us. The latest tease is that AAI2's chances of localization will improve if iNick (Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD for iOS) does well.

All their BS aside, I'm still preordering AA5 the minute the Henderson Gamestop makes it available. I loves me some Nick. Dammit, Capcom, why did you make such a lovable lawyer?

This is it--I'm officially buying a 3DS. Not there aren't other games I want to play on it, it's just that this is one of my very favorite series and have been waiting years for a new iteration.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']^ This. I decided to import the "Greatest Hits" Japanese version of AAI2, so I can at least play it while I wait for Capcom to decide whether or not to stop screwing with us. The latest tease is that AAI2's chances of localization will improve if iNick (Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD for iOS) does well.[/QUOTE]
I've considered importing it as well. Do you know if there's a complete fan translation for it out there? I seem to remember that some people at Court Records were working on one.

Saw iNick at PAX. Pretty much no one was paying attention to it on the show floor, and I would've missed it myself if metaly hadn't tipped me off. It looks gorgeous; the art now looks like it comes straight from the original illustrations. Even so, I don't know if I want to buy those games again.

There is not a complete translation out for it. There's not even a decent walkthrough for it. I am aware that I probably wasted $30, based on the available translated material for AAI2 (a few YouTube videos with captions -- MAYBE through case 2). But I want to play this game legally, so I shall press on...

Someone captured some AA5 gameplay footage during Capcom's livestream, split up into two parts (0:00-1:48, 6:10-8:05):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em4bulXgs4Q

Siliconera also put up a hands-on with the demo that they had at the show:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/21/ace-attorney-5-and-its-new-emotion-sensing-system-is-a-blast/

Finally, GamesRadar put up two gameplay videos of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, one showing the Layton puzzle-solving segment, and another showing a Phoenix Wright (in London!) courtroom battle:
http://www.gamesradar.com/profssor-...o-demo-see-both-halves-anticipated-crossover/
And here's a semi-direct feed of the PLvsAA TGS demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVcR8q0Ajs

EDIT: According to Capcom's schedule, their stage crew should be doing some AA5 gameplay in a few minutes (after Monster Hunter 4).
Day 3 is over. A little bit of gameplay footage, but they blocked out most of it for live-stream viewers.

Day 4: They showed some Kokoroscope gameplay (Kokone's emotion-sensing Minority Report-style holo-computer; Identify the contradictory emotion!), and some investigation gameplay (3D rooms, can view from multiple angles).
Here's a recording of the Day 4 Stage Show for AA5, and the PLvsAA stage show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGRbtpO8-dY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka-3c_RnsFk

Curious, any word on Apollo Justice appearing?

Also, the one trailer had the exclamation points as Phoenix's life for the first time since the first game. No life bar, huh? Wonder if the Magatama will appear?

Looks incredible. Can't wait.

I wish they would sim-ship 3DS and iOS versions. I'd much rather play this on my iPad, I think. And iOS Ghost Trick shows they know how. That was maybe my most expensive app purchase, but well worth it...

Yay, Apollo! I am still very worried they will not continue his storyline, but at least he is appearing. I do hope his for-some-reason-missing eye and serious pose doesn't mean he is going to be all business/emo in this installment.

BTW, like the partner, but that may just be my weakness for miniskirts. For some reason she reminds of a combination of Dawn and Rosa from Pokemon.

Looks like Apollo got injured pretty bad, maybe Trucy beat him up :D

On the flip side it looks like he's rocking the male cheerleader ouendan style

[quote name='maigoyume']On the flip side it looks like he's rocking the male cheerleader ouendan style[/QUOTE]

Actually, it looks like he has been hanging out with Edgeworth.

I finished the first game and almost finished the second one but that was a LONG time ago and I can't remember anything. For people who have played all of them (including Apollo Justice) is there a continuing story line in the games.

[quote name='eliter1']I finished the first game and almost finished the second one but that was a LONG time ago and I can't remember anything. For people who have played all of them (including Apollo Justice) is there a continuing story line in the games.[/QUOTE]

The first 3 games have an evolving storyline that allude to each other but don't directly sequel each other. Investigations offered a lot of background details to the series and had their own on-going story. Apollo started its own story but the huge backlash against it is the reason for the giant delay between the games and it is unknown if the new game will actually continue the story.

Each game will give you flashbacks and summaries for any info from previous games though.

Bunch of new info. You can read the full info at the threads on GAF and Court-Records. Capcom also updated the Japanese web site with much of this new info.

- The release date for Japan was announced as July 25th.
- Meet the main Prosecutor for this game, Jin Yugami:

Jin Yugami is actually a prisoner (Convicted of murder) who is ordered to serve as the Prosecutor in Case 2. Jin is apparently known as the "Distortion Prosecutor," because he actively attempts to distort the truth/case. He also has a sharp eye, uses psychological warfare tactics, and is an expert manipulator.

- Speaking of Case 2, some details have been revealed. It seems to be a prequel to Case 1, since you play as an uninjured Apollo Justice, with Kokone assisting.

- DLC has been announced. The first piece of content will be a costume pack featuring: Classic Phoenix Wright, casual clothes for Apollo, and a sailor uniform for Kokone. This costume pack DLC will be available for Free at launch, until August 15th.

- Boxart revealed!
4F1nXMD.jpg

- Also, a bunch of screenshots were released and/or added to the official site. Check them all out in the GAF thread.
F3XpxYs.png
aEsYqQZ.png

As if Ace Attorney's legal system couldn't get any more fucked up.

I do want that figure. Now.

I also hope we see Phoenix's pals (Maya, Pearl, etc.) and the Gavin bros. I'd hate to see the subplot from the last game junked.

I want the figure too. Will we get it here? Not a chance. I'll never forget how we had to beg for Trials & Tribulations, and Investigations 2 being passed over is inexcusable. I'll give us fans credit for one thing: Ace Attorney has done very well for getting practically no advertising.

Oooh, anime cutscenes. Nice!

Looks like the contradiction finder isn't a spiritual knick-knack or a magic bracelet, but a fancy lie detector. Sure, why not?

As an enormous AA fan, this all makes me giddy with glee.

Except of course, like mentioned before, I highly doubt that figure will be comin' to the States (or should I say, ever leave Japanese shores). I hear it's the same size as the Edgeworth one, too. Ugh. Also, that Wright pouch... seems to be non-XL friendly. Double ugh.

Let's not also discount the fact that Shu Takumi isn't even at all involved with AA5, because he was too busy with AAvsPL at the time of the project's beginning, apparently... which is a triple ugh. And no news on a localized AAvsPL is a quadruple ugh!

OBJECTION!
I am NOT fine!

All I can say is, if Aksys, in 2013, can still release RETAIL VERSIONS of PSP VISUAL NOVELS (not Vita, PSP) of brand-new franchises that no one in America has ever heard of, and claim that they are pleased with the sales, Crapcom has no fucking excuse.

I'm really getting sick of these Japanese companies thinking that if a game isn't projected to sell a million (ok, that's an exaggeration, more like 250k+) copies in America/Europe, it's not worth their time.

This is not the type of game that I would buy from the eshop... I will probably beat it once and then never play it again and this is the type of games that you could let you siblings/friends borrow... Oh Capcom... I guess I have to find a way to get it cheap (Cheap points/tade), which won't help Capcom but hey, they aren't helping the fans by doing this.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']All I can say is, if Aksys, in 2013, can still release RETAIL VERSIONS of PSP VISUAL NOVELS (not Vita, PSP) of brand-new franchises that no one in America has ever heard of, and claim that they are pleased with the sales, Crapcom has no fucking excuse.

I'm really getting sick of these Japanese companies thinking that if a game isn't projected to sell a million (ok, that's an exaggeration, more like 250k+) copies in America/Europe, it's not worth their time.[/QUOTE]

Not just visual novel, Otome game.

This left me with zero doubt in pre-ordering the JP Limited Edition. I fully expected to have at least a case to display alongside the rest of my AA games.... I guess the JP box will have to do. Not to mention... the Wright figure!

If anyone is still planning on pre-ordering it from Japan for the figure, it seems like play-asia.com is already sold out of pre-orders. Incidentally, someone from Siliconera tipped me off to http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/. Seems to still have pre-orders for the LE open. It comes out to about $145 with EMS shipping.

Wheeeeeee! After Investigations 2 didn't come over, I was worried this wouldn't either. Disappointed digital only, but still pumped.

I'm conflicted about this, to be honest. I would hope that they release it at a lower than standard retail price because it's digital only.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm conflicted about this, to be honest. I would hope that they release it at a lower than standard retail price because it's digital only.[/QUOTE]
Prepare to have your hopes dashed.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Wheeeeeee! After Investigations 2 didn't come over, I was worried this wouldn't either. Disappointed digital only, but still pumped.[/QUOTE]

They confirmed NA/EU release a looong while ago already!

bread's done
Back