Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition (PS3) Available for Preorder 29.99

chimpmeister

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Heads up for fans of great shmups, Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition (PS3 only as of right now) is available for preorder from:

Amazon (29.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Defeat-...8&qid=1346873027&sr=1-1&keywords=under+defeat

Newegg (29.99) (DISCONTINUED: probably won't ever be shipped from Newegg, now an Amazon exclusive):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879797001

This was recently listed as an Amazon exclusive, and the XBox 360 EU retail version is region-locked; so no North American version for 360 at this time. If you like shmups and want to support Rising Star Games in their North American releases of great shmups (like Akai Katana which was also recently released), please preorder this game!

Sorry that this is not technically a "deal", but its always a big deal when a great shmup is localized for North America.

Screenshots:

2rp8vwk.jpg

10qkosp.jpg

6j3xmo.jpg

54srdi.jpg

pbwn5.jpg

i3b7kj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's their cover vs ours with the helicopter on it? wtf lol. I like theirs so much better.

Hmm, doesn't say whether it includes the gameplay DVD and outer slipcover box like the Japanese deluxe version. I bought that one awhile ago, never got around to opening it. Debating if I should sell that now and get the U.S. release instead.

Thanks for posting, OP. And thank you, Rising Star Games, for bringing some of these titles to the U.S. I sincerely hope you make money doing it.

Product Features
The most requested remake in G.rev?s library

Regarded within the shmup community as one of the all-time classic games

The original Dreamcast version pushed the console to the limit, becoming one of its best selling games

Both game and developer have a great reputation within the large shmup community

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TQfraqrwo

Thanks OP. In for 1.

This works with the Newegg $10 off pre-orders promo code: BTENANF35.

So this is therefore a deal!

[quote name='Pets0undz']Thanks OP. In for 1.

So this is therefore a deal![/QUOTE]

Wow thanks for that, ordered one through Newegg! $30 shipped works for me, great deal! :)

[quote name='kurtori']Found this dead link while googling, looks like the Xbox 360 version may be a download-only release for North America?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Under-Defeat-HD/

Also want to mention that I own both the Dreamcast import and the PS3 LE, and is an amazing shmup worthy of any collection.[/QUOTE]

According to the link I posted above, it's only coming out on PS3 for the US, but 360/PS3 in Europe.

The game is fan-fucking-tastic. The DC version is probably my favorite shooter on the system and probably within my top 5 of all time. $40 is a good value but most will scoff at the price. Their loss.

[quote name='barrit']According to the link I posted above, it's only coming out on PS3 for the US, but 360/PS3 in Europe.[/QUOTE]

The story may have been talking about retail releases only, or might be a more recent development as the story is dated 8/22. But could also be accurate, too soon to tell. The fact that there was such a link to an Xbox Marketplace listing for it though would suggest that it was a plan at some point.

[quote name='Pets0undz']Thanks OP. In for 1.

So this is therefore a deal![/QUOTE]

Not having any luck with the code on either of my Newegg accounts. :cry:

[quote name='chunlirocks']This better get over to the 360 due to it's Dreamcast-like shmup library

We'll have to wait and see[/QUOTE]

[quote name='62t']I am guessing Akai Katana probably didnt do too well.[/QUOTE]It's more so because MS is really strict requiring publishers to print at least 50k copies of a game. That's why 360 does not get too many niche games released via retail these days (SCEA tends to just deny games which are JP voices only with ENG text).

Definitely preordering.

Not a fan of the cover, but it is nice to see one of these types of games coming here at retail for once. In fact, this is the ONLY PS3 shmup that's come to retail in NA afaik. Are there any others?

[quote name='Az986']I almost imported this last year for $80 so I'm glad I waited. Not sure if I want it now though lol.[/QUOTE]

You should. It's awesome.

Thanks OP. Been waiting for this to show up.

Not very CAGly to preorder at this price. Akai Katana didn't take long to drop to a much more manageable $20. If you're PS3 only, your shump library is even smaller, but still, buying every one of these at release is almost, at this point, like buying every new regenerating health cover shooter at release. Sure, they're fun, but odds are good there are plenty of older ones you can explore while waiting for the new hotness to drop to a much more reasonable price

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's more so because MS is really strict requiring publishers to print at least 50k copies of a game. That's why 360 does not get too many niche games released via retail these days (SCEA tends to just deny games which are JP voices only with ENG text).

Definitely preordering.[/QUOTE]

But it was already printed for JP. The US is just missing a publisher to release these (EU has them but the US doesn't)

Example DoDonPachi

[quote name='RollingSkull']Not very CAGly to preorder at this price. Akai Katana didn't take long to drop to a much more manageable $20. If you're PS3 only, your shump library is even smaller, but still, buying every one of these at release is almost, at this point, like buying every new regenerating health cover shooter at release. Sure, they're fun, but odds are good there are plenty of older ones you can explore while waiting for the new hotness to drop to a much more reasonable price[/QUOTE]

It'll most likely drop, but I'm going to show my support for shmups on the PS3 and buy it at full price. Thanks OP!

[quote name='punkmaggit']It'll most likely drop, but I'm going to show my support for shmups on the PS3 and buy it at full price. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

That's my opinion as well, I know this will drop in price, but I want to support RSG for releasing this in North America. They are taking a big chance by localizing this fantastic shmup, and I am more than willing to support them; already have two copies on order.

As for other comments about a 360 version, I honestly think Microsoft has totally dropped the ball on approving this for retail distribution. As chunlirocks said, the 360 has been a fantastic home to great shmups, and this game belongs on that platform (for North America, I know its coming out in EU) as well. If there is no NA 360 release, I would hope that the EU release would be region-free, like Dodonpachi Resurrection was. I hate having digital distribution as the only option, when other regions (locked) get retail, boxed releases. Thankfully this will come out on PS3, this is a nice coup for Sony, considering they have almost no shmups out in NA for retail PS3 at all.

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't even aware there was a PS3 port, let alone that it's coming here. Love the Dreamcast version.

As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not charity ass gamer. Shumps will come without my money and if they don't, it's not like shumps are in any way rare. They're one of the more glutted genres out there.

Any B&M stores going to be getting this? I'd rather this not get crushed in the mail on the way to me especially if I'm going to be paying full price. I know GameStop got Akai Katana...

[quote name='sykotek']Any B&M stores going to be getting this? I'd rather this not get crushed in the mail on the way to me especially if I'm going to be paying full price. I know GameStop got Akai Katana...[/QUOTE]

^I'd like to know this too! I so want a pre-order bonus if I'm going through Gamestop!

I thought Akai Katana was going to be rare so I pre-ordered that. Guess I was wrong. Oh well, I always like and try to get these niche titles.

Newegg burned me on The Last Story with it's bubble mailer. Even though it's $10, I'd rather have my outer packaging come in w/out being crushed.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^I'd like to know this too! I so want a pre-order bonus if I'm going through Gamestop!
I thought Akai Katana was going to be rare so I pre-ordered that. Guess I was wrong. Oh well, I always like and try to get these niche titles.[/QUOTE]

I think the deluxe edition is already getting a soundtrack and digital artbook. I don't think there's much more it could do at the $40 price point... maybe a mini helicopter figure?

[quote name='RollingSkull']As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not charity ass gamer. Shumps will come without my money and if they don't, it's not like shumps are in any way rare. They're one of the more glutted genres out there.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree. Shmups coming out today are very rare in this country. Especially in physical packaged retail release. I could probably count on one hand how many retail shmups have come out on the Xbox 360 in the 7 years since launch. On PS3 as somebody already mentioned, even more rare. The question for me is if this will be actually rare or not. I want to buy one but prefer to wait until games hit $10. If this ends up being rare then that might not be possible. The other question is if there will be a "standard" non deluxe edition. If there is then I could see the deluxe edition being fairly hard to find. I know the Dreamcast version was hard to find.

It's like your tag line "lacks decisive evidence" at this point in time....

If you're parsing it down to retail console releases, then tower defense games are just as rare if not moreso! Platformers and puzzle games too! Anyone can win the argument when you define it in such terms. Doesn't change the fact that any consumer remotely interested in shumps has loads of options available across PC and console download services.

[quote name='shivan128']Newegg burned me on The Last Story with it's bubble mailer. Even though it's $10, I'd rather have my outer packaging come in w/out being crushed.

I think the deluxe edition is already getting a soundtrack and digital artbook. I don't think there's much more it could do at the $40 price point... maybe a mini helicopter figure?[/QUOTE]

Completely forgot about the soundtrack and the digital artbook in the HD version. I'll take a sticker, a code for a PS3 theme, and/or a code for DLC if there is going to be any.

[quote name='RollingSkull']As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not charity ass gamer. Shumps will come without my money and if they don't, it's not like shumps are in any way rare. They're one of the more glutted genres out there.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not smart ass gamer. People should be allowed pay for games that they feel is cheap for what they're getting without someone being an ass about it.

[quote name='Rsmobile']If you're parsing it down to retail console releases, then tower defense games are just as rare if not moreso![/QUOTE]

Whatever. You don't seriously think that there are as many shump releases out there, retail or not, versus tower defense games, do you?

[quote name='enforcer2003']As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not smart ass gamer. People should be allowed pay for games that they feel is cheap for what they're getting without someone being an ass about it.

Whatever. You don't seriously think that there are as many shump releases out there, retail or not, versus tower defense games, do you?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people just don't understand the rareness of North American shmup releases, or just don't care that much about shooters in general. Others do care a lot about this genre and will support it whenever possible.

We've had a history of poor support for North American shooter releases, but recently several companies (Aksys and RSG) have tried hard to change that. I for one am very appreciative of their efforts, and Under Defeat HD is a HUGE release for the North American market; well worth picking up at whatever price.

[quote name='enforcer2003']As far as I'm concerned, this is cheap ass gamer, not smart ass gamer. People should be allowed pay for games that they feel is cheap for what they're getting without someone being an ass about it.[/quote]

I'm just saying. The price of these games has a big history of dropping and not one shump release in this generation has ever become "rare." Buying it now is only out of that over-inflated sense of support more than finding a good deal on the game. That's not a bad thing at all but it's worth noting. We're a DEALS site. It's just my opinion on the quality of the deal. You can buy it at whatever price you feel is appropriate but I am convinced it can and should go lower.

Whatever. You don't seriously think that there are as many shump releases out there, retail or not, versus tower defense games, do you?
We're losing sight of the discussion for the weeds now if all we're doing is equivalencies. Tower defense only came up because it is another genre that doesn't get retail releases. A LOT of genres are much more prominent on download than they are on retail disc these days.

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people just don't understand the rareness of North American shmup releases, or just don't care that much about shooters in general. Others do care a lot about this genre and will support it whenever possible.

We've had a history of poor support for North American shooter releases, but recently several companies (Aksys and RSG) have tried hard to change that. I for one am very appreciative of their efforts, and Under Defeat HD is a HUGE release for the North American market; well worth picking up at whatever price.
I'm not sure what to think of your tone considering precisely how many shooters I've bought in the last year alone. Between IOS, PC, 360, and Wii, I have more than I am ever going to need. There can always be more but I think it's silly to call it an underrepresented genre. In disc releases, certainly, but not in gaming as a whole.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm not sure what to think of your tone considering precisely how many shooters I've bought in the last year alone. Between IOS, PC, 360, and Wii, I have more than I am ever going to need. There can always be more but I think it's silly to call it an underrepresented genre. In disc releases, certainly, but not in gaming as a whole.[/QUOTE]

It just seems apparent to me that you're either indifferent to NA shmup releases, or just burned out on the genre. We've had just a tiny handful of North American releases in this genre, in this console generation. Having another one scheduled to come out, and one this fantastic, is something to celebrate, not minimize.

In other words, you may have bought a lot of shmups on multiple platforms, but more often than not I see you here complaining about paying a higher price for games like Dodonpachi Resurrection and Akai Katana, and watching the prices of those games drop, thereby causing you to be apathetic about the whole genre. If I didn't know better, I'd think you're just burned out on the whole thing, and I'm sure others may feel the same way. Thats fine for you, but many of us prefer to support these rare retail releases in any way we can, and encourage future ones.

Burned out on paying high prices more like it. Shumps are a slow burn. If you like them, they'll last a while and hold many replays. To me, there's just no fierce urgency of buying new ones when I can revisit the classics to hold me over until a price drop. Would I like to see more? Yes, but I don't see any value in playing quixotic charity case to "support the developers." I'm just one consumer and as much as I'd like to see more games, I also value seeing more cheaper games.

And yeah, I'm complaining about overpaying, but I'm still choosing to overpay. My jadedness is oversold.

Hmm...seems Gamestop isn't carrying this. I don't see a pre-order option or the game listed at all on their website. Might have to go through Amazon. Still prefer brick and mortar, but what can you do.

bread's done
Back