Cloud saves?

Kenshindono

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I have a month or two of PSN + I wanted to give cloud saves a test since i belive its a PSN+ only feature. I have a ps3 in my bedroom and one downstairs. Would i be able to play a game back and forth on both systems and keep the save on the cloud while i have PSN+, then when im done actually d.load and keep the saves on my main system upstairs?

Im pretty sure you can ping pong between both systems, thats the whole point, but im curious if after im done, if it lets you d.load and keep the save on a console, or if its just locked into the cloud. Its important because im not keeping PSN +

Just curious if someone whos used it can chime in on how it works. I was probably gonna use it for the walking dead which i have for free right now and some other actual disk games i have

^_^x KD

I believe there is a 24 hour wait period before you can download any uploaded saves. You can't actually play the save from the cloud, that's just for storage. You will have to download it on each system you want to play on. I think you know that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm also pretty positive that you can keep the save after your PS+ runs out. It is your save in the first place after all.

[quote name='Tsel']I believe there is a 24 hour wait period before you can download any uploaded saves. You can't actually play the save from the cloud, that's just for storage. You will have to download it on each system you want to play on. I think you know that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm also pretty positive that you can keep the save after your PS+ runs out. It is your save in the first place after all.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the game. Some saves (more than 1/2 of the games I have saves for) give a warning about limits on uploading/downloading within a 24 hour period, but not all of them have that warning message.

24 hour limit eh? thats actually really friggin stuipd. Kinda defeats the purpouse of using a cloud save honestly.

Actually i didn't know that the cloud was just a backup system. I thought you actually kept your saves there and it syncd with the save on the HD or something like that as you played. It sounds like its basically the equivilant of sticking the save on a USB stick, but online instead. Is that about right?

Sounds like a hassle and pretty pointless. Maybe i'll just transfer the save to a USB stick after every session or so. Thanks for the info

^_^x KD

I think the 24 hour limit is to deter cheating and the like (passing items onto friends, then re-downloading your save and passing them onto other friends). It can still be done, just at a slower rate. Also, some saves are specifically locked to the PS3 unit (not just the account), and cloud-saving bypasses that (I think for all games, but I'm not sure). For instance, some games you wouldn't be able to save onto a USB, but those saves can be uploaded to PSN+'s cloud.

Lastly, you might already know this, but your "free" games from PSN+ expire when your PSN+ expires. So the Walking Dead? If you got it for free, it won't be playable anymore after your PSN+ subscription expires and you'll have to buy it in order to play it.

[quote name='Kenshindono']

Sounds like a hassle and pretty pointless. Maybe i'll just transfer the save to a USB stick after every session or so. Thanks for the info

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

A lot of games are protected in such a manner that there are only 2 ways to "back-up"/copy them, PS+ cloud or a system back-up/restore.

Don't be surprised if you can't copy your save to a USB stick.

[quote name='Kenshindono']I have a month or two of PSN + I wanted to give cloud saves a test since i belive its a PSN+ only feature. I have a ps3 in my bedroom and one downstairs. Would i be able to play a game back and forth on both systems and keep the save on the cloud while i have PSN+, then when im done actually d.load and keep the saves on my main system upstairs?

Im pretty sure you can ping pong between both systems, thats the whole point, but im curious if after im done, if it lets you d.load and keep the save on a console, or if its just locked into the cloud. Its important because im not keeping PSN +

Just curious if someone whos used it can chime in on how it works. I was probably gonna use it for the walking dead which i have for free right now and some other actual disk games i have

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, the cloud is just a backup system. If the game save is unprotected, then you'll be able to backup the save to the cloud, go to your other system, download it, then keep playing without any issues. However, if it is protected, you will only be able to download the save 1 time/24 hours. Overall, I would say about a third of game saves are protected.

[quote name='waldo21212']A lot of games are protected in such a manner that there are only 2 ways to "back-up"/copy them, PS+ cloud or a system back-up/restore.
[/QUOTE]

If the save is protected I don't think you can even copy it with system back-up/restore if you are restoring to a different system. I did a full back-up when I got rid of my launch PS3 and restored to a new Slim and some game save did not restore... Tiger Woods 13 being one of them (and I haven't played it since).

There are a lot of games that won't transfer when you use backup/restore and also that cannot be saved to external media (usb stick, sd card etc). That's where plus and the cloud comes in. You just backup your saves to the cloud and you can download them to your new ps3 or new hdd if you're doing a swap etc.

Also always nice to have a backup of your saves on the cloud just in case you need it. Corrupt save file, game glitches on you, you need to redo something that you did wrong/out of order or you discovered after it was too late and the game auto saves screwing you over which I've had happen prior to plus and the cloud.

Honestly if you have a PS3 you should have PS+ if you're a CAG, so many free games that you may have skipped out on or didn't think you'd even like. 1hr full game trials, cloud storage and nice discounts on games, exclusive extras for purchasing, early beta invites, plus some things I'm probably leaving out. So worth the 50 a year imo, considering the first month, two tops will already save you more than the cost of the sub.

bread's done
Back