- - - - -

Indie Games Uprising III begins today - 9 Xbox Live Indie Games for $11

#31 Wrong   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   281 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

Gateways is a lot of fun by the way; though insanely hard towards the end... like I'm trying to beat the last puzzle using a video guide and still can't do it level of hard.

There are video guides for that game already?

#32 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

The developer actually uploaded a video for the final puzzle. If you watch it, you'll understand why. It's insanely difficult. I've tried for well over 2 hours, with the video, and still can't get it.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
Backlog-Quest-II.jpg?resize=306%2C160
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#33 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

No more releases today, starts up again on Monday. I'll continue to update with reviews as they roll in. Should be publishing CBR's review for Gateways sometime this evening. Going to take one last shot at the damn last puzzle first.

Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#34 Cornelius   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   863 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Sadly Sententia is... lacking. I feel like I went fairly easy on it, but still feel bad for my review as I like Michael (the developer). He's done a lot of work to make the Uprising happen. Puzzles were backwards enough that it actually set back most of us who were reviewing the game (Indie Gamer Chick got fed up enough to quit early which is why she beat everyone else).

Agreed that it just doesn't seem like "Sententia" brought their A-game to the table. If you know your product has fallacies, you either rebrand it as "budget", or you just don't bring it to market ... it's that simple ... and it's a lesson that should've been learned long ago if you want to make it in the commercial game industry. Crap doesn't sell, it merely spawns crap reviews.

With the 80pt games that have come up so far ... qrth-phyl (the game with the copy-paste name!), Diehard Dungeon, and Smooth Operators ... I'll typically insta-buy when they make their games so affordable that I want to reward them for making the game decent enough at 1st glance that I know I'll get 15 minutes of fun out of it, and that equals my "fun for a price" threshold of $4/hr. As for "Gateways", I sadly probably won't pick it up if the final price is intended to be 240pts, since I simply now have too many other indie games that were more compelling to my wallet. Even if the game earns stellar reviews, there's still so many other games out there at the same price that simply being part of the "Indie Games 3 Uprising" promo doesn't cut the mustard either. You have to be willing to put your pride & comfort level out on a limb in order to be noticed.

Can't wait to see the other games coming up! Just about everything in the trailer, with the exception of "Sententia" (obviously), look great, and all the authors deserve a round of applause. My only regret is that I have but 1 life to spend playing so many quality contenders. :-)
70109.png

#35 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Agreed that it just doesn't seem like "Sententia" brought their A-game to the table. If you know your product has fallacies, you either rebrand it as "budget", or you just don't bring it to market ... it's that simple ... and it's a lesson that should've been learned long ago if you want to make it in the commercial game industry. Crap doesn't sell, it merely spawns crap reviews.

With the 80pt games that have come up so far ... qrth-phyl (the game with the copy-paste name!), Diehard Dungeon, and Smooth Operators ... I'll typically insta-buy when they make their games so affordable that I want to reward them for making the game decent enough at 1st glance that I know I'll get 15 minutes of fun out of it, and that equals my "fun for a price" threshold of $4/hr. As for "Gateways", I sadly probably won't pick it up if the final price is intended to be 240pts, since I simply now have too many other indie games that were more compelling to my wallet. Even if the game earns stellar reviews, there's still so many other games out there at the same price that simply being part of the "Indie Games 3 Uprising" promo doesn't cut the mustard either. You have to be willing to put your pride & comfort level out on a limb in order to be noticed.

Can't wait to see the other games coming up! Just about everything in the trailer, with the exception of "Sententia" (obviously), look great, and all the authors deserve a round of applause. My only regret is that I have but 1 life to spend playing so many quality contenders. :-)

Just updated the OP with some Gateways reviews, including my own. It is a stellar game, though insanely difficult. It will most likely wind up being the stand-out game from the Uprising (though I'd love to be proven wrong).

The 240 price point comes mostly from the fact that game also released on Steam where it is being sold for more. Keep in mind too, this is an established developer who even has an XBLA game (The Adventures of Shuggy). It may seem "pricey" compared to the others, but it is still an awesome game for a whopping $3. It came very close to getting CBR's first ever 10/10 score.

#36 Zbornak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   731 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Monday's game, Entropy, is available now.
Posted Image

#37 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

Just came to post that and add the link to the OP. Haven't touched it yet but it looks fantastic. Hope it lives up to the visuals.

I imagine there will be more Smooth Operators reviews come tomorrow.

#38 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3750 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Is die hard dungeon more suited for a console with the controls? For $1, I'll most likely pick it up on the xbox, but just wondering if it's worth adding to steam using a keyboard.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Monster Monpiece, :3ds: Majora's Mask, :xb1: N/ATM :360: N/ATM, :ps3: N/ATM, :ps4: Dying Light/#KillAllZombies, :wiiu: Hyrule Warriors

#39 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Is die hard dungeon more suited for a console with the controls? For $1, I'll most likely pick it up on the xbox, but just wondering if it's worth adding to steam using a keyboard.

Are you getting diehard dungeon and gateways confused? I could double check but I don't recall dungeon being on steam. Either way, dungeon only has like three buttons and you aren't going to see an improvement on a keyboard. Gateways however is on steam for $1 more ($4 till 9/20) but does play slightly better with a keyboard.

#40 shivan128   CAG at heart CAGiversary!   3750 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Are you getting diehard dungeon and gateways confused? I could double check but I don't recall dungeon being on steam. Either way, dungeon only has like three buttons and you aren't going to see an improvement on a keyboard. Gateways however is on steam for $1 more ($4 till 9/20) but does play slightly better with a keyboard.

Whoops, you're right, I meant Gateways. I already bought die-hard dungeon. Apologies for the typo, when you're running on 2-hour sleep days with the daughter just being born... :lol:

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Monster Monpiece, :3ds: Majora's Mask, :xb1: N/ATM :360: N/ATM, :ps3: N/ATM, :ps4: Dying Light/#KillAllZombies, :wiiu: Hyrule Warriors

#41 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Whoops, you're right, I meant Gateways. I already bought die-hard dungeon. Apologies for the typo, when you're running on 2-hour sleep days with the daughter just being born... :lol:

Haha, well then I'd warn you that you might forgo your daughter's welfare to play Gateways a little bit more (you will not want to stop mid-puzzle for anything).

#42 Kotomine   私は日本人を知らない。 CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Picked up Entropy, well worth the $1! :)

420x81.2.png

#43 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

My most anticipated game of the Uprising, City Tuesday, is now available on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

#44 Wrong   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   281 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

City Tuesday is way too short, but a good game.

#45 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Some reviews for City Tuesday added to OP. Behind on Entropy, but will get there sooner or later.

#46 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Xenominer is now for sale. Link added to OP.

#47 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Forgot to bump the thread when I added Pixel's link to the OP yesterday. I'll add some more review links for the games today as well. Working on my review of Entropy at the moment.

#48 otangz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

I appreciate you keeping up with this thread, OP. Per recommendations here, I bought Diehard Dungeon and I'm loving it. I'll probably nab Gateways (on Steam) sometime soon, too. The reviews you've posted have been especially helpful. Thanks!

#49 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Updated the OP with more reviews, specifically a few more for Smooth Operators and City Tuesday as well as some reviews for Entropy including CBR's. From what I've seen so far, Clearance Bin Review's review is the only review written by someone who has actually completed the game. For whatever that is wroth.

#50 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

One last update. Reviews for every game now added to the OP. If I had to make a list of the must buys, they would be:

QRTH-PHYL
Diehard Dungeon
Gateways!
Smooth Operators: Call Center Choas

The seriously consider buying list would be:
Entropy
City Tuesday
Xenominer

and the probably should pass list would be:
Sententia
Pixel

#51 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Just wanted to bump the thread quick. Gateways! has dropped to only $1! A great deal just got greater. Also a new update as well.

More info.

So you can now get all 9 games for only $9.

Edited by BudzMcGee, 30 September 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#52 otangz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up! This is the game I really wanted from this group.

#53 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up! This is the game I really wanted from this group.

Gateways! is great, but I would really really recommend checking out the games I listed above. Xenominer is kind of starting to win me over a bit more as well (as others are starting to post what they've done, seeing other ways that you can play the game basically.

#54 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

As I mentioned in the OP, this is being advertised on the Xbox Dash right now and I've been getting a lot of traffic on CBR for it so it seems there is an interest in reviews of the games so I figured I'd bump this thread as it is a pretty good source of that info. Remember, all the games are only $1!

#55 sicsonic   100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution Silenced   663 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

I forgot about Diehard Dungeon and that I was going to buy that when i had 80 points sitting around... glad for that dash ad as it reminded me...

#56 dcm1602   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1085 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

link ?

#57 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10174 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

I think I may get Smooth Operators. Looks like my kinda game.

#58 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

link ?

Huh? There are links to every game and reviews of every game in the OP....

#59 EarthBoundX5   Chef Jesus CAGiversary!   1725 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

EarthBoundX5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

I think I may get Smooth Operators. Looks like my kinda game.

I bought it back when this thread was started, finally got to it last night; its definitely awesome. Feels like a focused SimTower, which is great!

EDIT: Also finally got around to XenoMiner, only played like an hour maybe, didn't really feel it. Concept was neat, the Minecraft clone-ness was really evident, and the radiation/air features are weird to get used to.

I don't like having a sig, but for CAG, I figured I'd sheep along.

163177.pngfs_pc.png
http://gamercard.xbo...een/ChefJesusX5 eebeta-badge-small.png
GAP - Since 2003
CAG - Lurked well before current join date

#60 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

I bought it back when this thread was started, finally got to it last night; its definitely awesome. Feels like a focused SimTower, which is great!

EDIT: Also finally got around to XenoMiner, only played like an hour maybe, didn't really feel it. Concept was neat, the Minecraft clone-ness was really evident, and the radiation/air features are weird to get used to.

My first hour and a half with it was horrible. After I was accidentally forced to restart the game it went much better and I wound up wasting a solid 7 or so hours in the game before I had to stop and write the review. Haven't had much time to go back but there is actually a fair amount of depth to the game. Just go to the developer website and look up how to program your little robot that you get...