New Controller Designs for GCN2, Xbox2 and PS3??

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
What do you think the next-gen controllers will be like? I think Sony is going to stick with the same design but the others will get completely redone...

There were rumors a while back that sony was gonna keep a similar design for their controller, but add triggers and make it wireless.

[quote name='Scrubking']There were rumors a while back that sony was gonna keep a similar design for their controller, but add triggers and make it wireless.[/quote]

Yeah, I read somewhere that players were bitchin' about not having triggers for FPS.

i also remember an article in EGM about 9 mos ago where some head Nintendo guy was bragging about how proud they were of the GC controller design. He said something like, "if a few years, this will be the controller style that everyone uses," or something to that effect.

I certainly don't agree, because even though i am comfortable with the GC and XB cons, I think I will always prefer the PS2's.

I will admit the PS2 controller is probably the most familiar to my hands. But I do enjoy the fat Xbox controllers, the S is okay.

[quote name='punqsux']i think sony will stay the same, microsoft will make small changes, and nintendo will totally revamp it again[/quote]

I concur. Nintendo has revamped every hardware generation thus far, and I see no reason to stick with their current design. Although, I do find it rather comfortable.
I'd hope that MS would just slim down the controllers again and remove the controller memory card slots. I do like the S controller now, since it feels like a slightly meatier Dreamcast controller / Saturn 3d analog controller.
And I doubt Sony'll make changes. Maybe they'll just up the number of differentiable pressures that can be applied to the buttons or some other stupid shit...

I hope that Sony keeps the same design. It pretty good, although I would not mind if they switched the left analog stick and the D-pad.
Microsoft should slim down their pad a bit, and make the black and white buttons triggers simular to the L1 R1 on the PS2 controller.
I believe that Nintendo's controller is a mess. The D-pad is way to small, it should have a left and right Z button, the C stick is really bad for constant use(such as with a first person shooter), the left analog stick seems to be low quality(it comes loose quickly, unlike Sony's and Microsoft's analog sticks), and the ABXY buttons need to be in the SNES/PSX button setup. And would a select button really kill them. It could be mapped to a commonly used pause menu for most games, while the start button could take you to the basic pause menu, or the last menu you were at.

ive read in a few places that the black and white buttons are gone for the xbox and something about a trigger type button for sony

[quote name='DenisDFat']I think they should all revert back to SNES style with no sticks, 4 face, and two shoulders[/quote]

I would rather it be like a Saturn pad with 6 face, 2 shoulder and a nice D-
Pad

Yeah, I agree with you guys. The PS controller is pretty much perfected... well, maybe trigger addition. The xbox controller, I really don't see any problem with. The gamecube controller will be completely redone, if Nintendo stays in the console business, lol. And wireless should be getting pretty close to standard.

[quote name='DenisDFat']ps controller sucks, 6 face buttons is too many[/quote]

another wonderful post from mr. positivity! hey buddy, i'm serious about this: will you post a list of things you DO like? cuz you know, i've never seen you do anything but slam everything.

All you would have had to do is look up a couple posts in this very topic. But that's too hard for you, isn;t it?

Maybe you can even conjure up the resourcefulness to check outmy game reviews in the Game Reviews section. They;re not hard to find.

well, at least for those with a modicum of brain power.

I wouldn't mind if the PS3 controller underwent a little change. I'm all for switching the left d-pad and left analog stick and for adding triggers in the back (as long as the 2 shoulder buttons remain). I would also like the 4 face buttons to be a little larger and more "button-like" so when you press down on it you know it. Other than that, it is a nice design...

As for GCN2, I think the controller needs to be mostly redone..... again. I like the feel in my hands so the basic shape should remain the same. Also, the analog stick is perfect, IMO. Games like Super Monkey Ball where precision is everything just wouldn't work on the PS2 or Xbox controllers. However, while I think the bean-shaped buttons are a good idea (so you know what you are pressing), I think they need to be more proportionate in size - and why is the b-button not bean-shaped too? My biggest gripe is the top of the controller. It stinks. I haven't ever really needed the sensitivity feature of the shoulder buttons for many games and the z-button is just awful. It is almost inaccessible because the shoulder buttons are grooved for your fingers. I think here Nintendo should just concede to Sony and copy the PS2 design.

Either way, I can't wait to see what each company comes up with ! :D

i think nintendo will completely redo their controllers like they always have with each console. ms i can't say much cause its their first time around but i bet they'd keep the main design the same while changing a few things. sony will probally keep theirs mainly like how it is already. i dont have much of a problem with their controllers but the left analog stick can b a little frustrating to deal with in fighting games.

[quote name='EggViper']i think nintendo will completely redo their controllers like they always have with each console. ms i can't say much cause its their first time around but i bet they'd keep the main design the same while changing a few things. sony will probally keep theirs mainly like how it is already. i dont have much of a problem with their controllers but the left analog stick can b a little frustrating to deal with in fighting games.[/quote]

You can always get a universal arcade stick or controller adapter. :D

[quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='EggViper']i think nintendo will completely redo their controllers like they always have with each console. ms i can't say much cause its their first time around but i bet they'd keep the main design the same while changing a few things. sony will probally keep theirs mainly like how it is already. i dont have much of a problem with their controllers but the left analog stick can b a little frustrating to deal with in fighting games.[/quote]

You can always get a universal arcade stick or controller adapter. :D[/quote]
Yeah, I got a controller adapter for soul calibur 2, since i can't stand the gamecube d-pad. I only got the gamecube one because I prefer Link over Heihachi.

I hope the playstation controller stays generally the same. It's always been my favorite controller. Maybe the d-pad could be a little friendlier on the thumbs. I've gotten blisters from some fighting games. Ivy's special throws can be demanding on the thumb if used enough too. And wireless is definitely a plus.

I'm guessing the nintendo one will change completely just like everyone else. I think the B button's too small, and the trigger buttons don't have to go so deep. The d-pad needs to be bigger, and the C-stick isn't that great either. It's still my favorite controller for first party games though.

I can't say much about the Xbox controller, since I don't play it nearly as much as the other 2. But the S type was a big improvement from the big fat one. I hope they keep it small.

bread's done
Back