* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

#1381 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

It feels like this book is flying under the radar a little. The base edition is only $27.99 which seems cheap for an artbook. I hope it does well, the art was obviously one of the best things about Cuphead.

For most books in the $40 range, $27 is about the average price after the discount for new releases. The CE is at $69 currently, but I believe it was in the $50's at one point, but I got in after that. So these types of discounts are the norm on Amazon, and Barnes & Nobles used to match pricing pretty closely, but they've fell off in recent years. Which means I let my membership fall off as well. LOL

#1382 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

Just a heads up gals/guys, I just got the new Mario Odyssey art book from Amazon(packed like shit), and Dark Horse is now shipping these books with a clear plastic case, like the ones used for games, just bigger(obviously). I guess DH finally figured out people collect these books, and having them arrived beat to hell and back is not a good look. This may have been ongoing for awhile, as I haven't bought any standard DH books in a minute, so hopefully this is a new feature going forward and not a one off. 

#1383 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3868 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

I just got my Splatoon 2 art book in, and this is one of the most incredible books in my collection. The art is beautiful, and it's filled page to page with endless art and information. What an outstanding release. 

#1384 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3688 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

Newsletter from Bitmap Books: https://mailchi.mp/6...ks-crpg-1703525

Some highlights:

Also, NEOGEO and NES compendiums are being reprinted. Commodore 64 compendium is almost OOP, so don't sleep on it if you want it.

#1385 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hardcore Gaming 101's book on Japanese video game obscurities came out for backers recently. Got my copy in yesterday and it's lovely. For those who missed it earlier, Amazon's got preorders open, and the Kindle edition is available now.

#1386 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

Hardcore Gaming 101's book on Japanese video game obscurities came out for backers recently. Got my copy in yesterday and it's lovely. For those who missed it earlier, Amazon's got preorders open, and the Kindle edition is available now.

Yep, mine arrived as well, but the corner is smashed in and the dust cover torn, so now trying to get a replacement, so time will tell? It is a great book, just sad it was sent in these shit mailers, as I get these from overseas all the time, and 9 out of 10 items arrived damaged because of it.

#1387 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:35 AM

So for those of you who use "In Stock Trades" on the regular, do they offer any kind of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, or do they just stick to their normal low prices year round and call it a day? I had a book I was eye balling for purchase, but didn't want to jump in if there's a chance for a possible discount over the next week.

#1388 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5110 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:41 AM

So for those of you who use "In Stock Trades" on the regular, do they offer any kind of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, or do they just stick to their normal low prices year round and call it a day? I had a book I was eye balling for purchase, but didn't want to jump in if there's a chance for a possible discount over the next week.

They'll definitely have an extra percentage off.

#1389 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

Cook & Becker is having their BF sale until the 2nd, and a few decent books to be had, as they are normally on the higher end of gaming publications. So any discount is always welcome here, and I can personally vouch for the Sonic book, as it's pretty bad ass, and I paid full price. LOL

https://www.cookandb...iday-deals.html

#1390 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

PSA: You know it must be the holidays, as Amazon just sent me a softcover book in an actual box with proper protection(if I shook the box, nothing moved). I haven't seen that from normal staff in years, so you know whomever did this was "holiday help"! LOL

#1391 trunks982   Wii are the Champions! CAGiversary!   6349 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:41 PM

Cook & Becker is having their BF sale until the 2nd, and a few decent books to be had, as they are normally on the higher end of gaming publications. So any discount is always welcome here, and I can personally vouch for the Sonic book, as it's pretty bad ass, and I paid full price. LOL

https://www.cookandb...iday-deals.html

whats the difference between the LE $79 and the Reg $39? the LE comes with a box and a print but less pages than the REG without the box and print? thats a huge price difference.

#1392 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:01 PM

whats the difference between the LE $79 and the Reg $39? the LE comes with a box and a print but less pages than the REG without the box and print? thats a huge price difference.

Yeah, these appear to be the differences:

Limited to 2.500 copies

Hardcover with separate dust-jacket
248 pages
310 H x 275 W mm / 12 H x 11 W inch
Full Color
Comes in a high-quality outer box
Has a unique inner sleeve that folds into a book stand
Contains an exclusive, hand-numbered 12 color screen print by Yuji Uekawa

I'm sure there are some unboxing/review videos as well, that may show more of the physical differences. The standard edition is also a newer version of the book in general, as it has new pages the book in the CE does not(as it's the original book, and not updated). Yeah, the CE is for sure a fan service item, and if not a HUGE Sonic fan, the standard would probably be fine. I only bought the CE, so my info on the standard edition is limited to what I could locate with a quick search.

#1393 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

Things From Another World has some decent Nintendo books on sale, and you can use "BLACKFRIDAY19" at check-out for an additional $5 off of your order. The three stand outs here appear to be the standard and LE of the Mario Encyclopedia and the Zelda Arts & Artifacts, as the others may not be better than some other places. https://www.tfaw.com...ult/?q=nintendo

They also offer other "gaming" publications as well, I just didn't have the time to search other deals out, so take a look before you check out, as some other deals may be possible.

EDIT: Square Enix: https://www.tfaw.com.../?q=square enix

#1394 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

Things From Another World has some decent Nintendo books on sale, and you can use "BLACKFRIDAY19" at check-out for an additional $5 off of your order. The three stand outs here appear to be the standard and LE of the Mario Encyclopedia and the Zelda Arts & Artifacts, as the others may not be better than some other places. https://www.tfaw.com...ult/?q=nintendo

They also offer other "gaming" publications as well, I just didn't have the time to search other deals out, so take a look before you check out, as some other deals may be possible.

EDIT: Square Enix: https://www.tfaw.com.../?q=square enix

TFAW and Dark Horse have a shared history (the founder of both is the same person), so it's worth searching that site for all Dark Horse artbook deals during their big sales. Unfortunately, sorting is a little busted on their new site, but if there's a specific Dark Horse artbook you're after, you might want to do a quick search.

Right now, in addition to the Nintendo and Square Enix books, there's some great discounts on their Battlefield V, Uncharted 4, and Gears 4 artbooks, amongst some others.

#1395 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12899 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

Did Amazon ever have their $5 off book coupon they used to always do for BF and Prime Day?  Didn't see it mentioned this year.

#1396 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11849 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Did Amazon ever have their $5 off book coupon they used to always do for BF and Prime Day?  Didn't see it mentioned this year.

no. Just a B2G1 and a $5 off Ebook Purchase. 

Might come Christmas. 

#1397 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6692 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

no. Just a B2G1 and a $5 off Ebook Purchase.

Might come Christmas.

Not as good, but Target is running $5 off $20 in books this week.

#1398 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11849 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:29 AM

Seems like there is a $5 off $20 on select books. And its on each book. 

Picked up Megaman Zero and NT Warrior as well as the Breath of the Wild books. 

#1399 tonyvx  

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:46 AM

Doesn't work on preorders. Dang. R.I.P. to my favorite deal on Amazon

#1400 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:20 PM

Not as good, but Target is running $5 off $20 in books this week.

They're also doing 15% off books today only. It stacks with the $5 off $20 deal.

#1401 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

They're also doing 15% off books today only. It stacks with the $5 off $20 deal.

Thanks for letting us know!  I just picked up the The Art of Drew Struzan hardcover book for under $18 shipped.  Great deal!

#1402 tonyvx  

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for this, grabbed a couple of gifts

#1403 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3688 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:19 AM

FYI. I’ve never gotten an undamaged hardcover art book from Target. I’ve seen everything from flimsy bubble maulers to oversized boxes with 1 air pillow.

Hopefully you guys have better luck than me!

#1404 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

FYI. I’ve never gotten an undamaged hardcover art book from Target. I’ve seen everything from flimsy bubble maulers to oversized boxes with 1 air pillow.

Hopefully you guys have better luck than me!

I ordered a batch of books as gifts from Target last month, and they came in a sturdy box and were wrapped to a piece of cardboard with a ton of plastic film. The condition of them was so good they looked like they came straight from the publishers :shock: 

Ordered another gift book from them yesterday (that's when I noticed the deal), so I'm curious to see what the packaging will be like this time. Not gonna get my hopes too high up, since I've also gotten a badly damaged item from Target semi-recently.

#1405 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7313 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

I ordered a batch of books as gifts from Target last month, and they came in a sturdy box and were wrapped to a piece of cardboard with a ton of plastic film. The condition of them was so good they looked like they came straight from the publishers :shock: 

Ordered another gift book from them yesterday (that's when I noticed the deal), so I'm curious to see what the packaging will be like this time. Not gonna get my hopes too high up, since I've also gotten a badly damaged item from Target semi-recently.

Yeah, like I said above, your well packaged items probably came from holiday help, as most people want to do the best job they can, to maybe stay past being "limited" help. Little do they know packaging items well probably means they won't be there past the next few weeks, as they are bad for business. LOL

#1406 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, like I said above, your well packaged items probably came from holiday help, as most people want to do the best job they can, to maybe stay past being "limited" help. Little do they know packaging items well probably means they won't be there past the next few weeks, as they are bad for business. LOL

It was pretty early in Nov. though, around the 11th, so if there was any seasonal help around that time, it couldn't have been much. Either way, it was pretty sweet to receive items in that condition!

If this other order arrives banged up, I'll return it and try one of the vendors at AbeBooks.

#1407 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3688 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

FYI: Oddworld: Abe's Origins - The Book will go up in price by some undisclosed amount after 12/18. It's currently £30 and books are due to arrive from the printer on 12/13.

https://app.crowdox....game-collection

#1408 DemonGamer24   Sniper, no sniping! CAGiversary!   242 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

DemonGamer24

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

Yup, if it's anything like amazon, they dont give a shit about quality, it's all about speed.

#1409 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5012 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

I think the data would overwhelmingly show that the vast majority of customers do not care enough about damage and will not bother with trying to replace or return an item unless it's extremely major. I'm a fuss pot to the point that a crease in cover art or a slightly bent corner of a slipcover makes me not want the item, but most people just simply aren't. It's why I hate seeing so many B&M stores scale back or go out of business. I'm going to have a hard time getting any items that I'm satisfied with in a future where all items come packaged like Amazon does. 

#1410 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11849 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

Picked these up from Amazon with the $5 discount on each of them.

VN7DS2u.jpg