* * * * * 1 votes

The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

#1441 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4636 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, I got sucked in to the DS Animal Crossing game, and after that one, I had to swear off the series, as I can't afford to get sucked down the rabbit hole again. LOL

Game looks great, as I've watched my son play it a few times, as well as watching YT clips, since my son is always drawn to those. A guide like this is key, and while I'm not planning to start playing the game, I'll be happy to ready the guide and see what I'm missing out on.

That's how I felt too. I own the AC 3DS from toys r us years ago. Played countless hours, and nowadays I don't have time to devote to a game like that. I absolutely loved it on gamecube and 3ds...

#1442 TheOpusFuller   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

TheOpusFuller

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

That's how I felt too. I own the AC 3DS from toys r us years ago. Played countless hours, and nowadays I don't have time to devote to a game like that. I absolutely loved it on gamecube and 3ds...

I'm in the same boat. I have 2 kids. A 4 year old and a 2 month old. My time to play is at night when they go to bed so...... its tough but doable. It is super fun though and my 4 year old got into it and created a character and is playing now.

#1443 TheOpusFuller   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

TheOpusFuller

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

Atari 2600/7800: a visual compendium is up for preorder on bitmap books. Limited to only 1000 for the collectors edition. Wondering if its even worth preordering....

#1444 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

Atari 2600/7800: a visual compendium is up for preorder on bitmap books. Limited to only 1000 for the collectors edition. Wondering if its even worth preordering....

I actually posted this when it was first offered, and it was brought up by someone else here at the time, that the CE isn't really unique in any way, as the extra items, are sold on there own. Normally these Bitmap books are offered through KS, and the side items are only offered there, but that's not the case here. There is no unique # or exclusive item(slip cover, unique print, etc), that is a part of the CE, so there's no reason to buy the CE here, unless you want the extra items(which I personally did).

My copy arrived last night, I just haven't had the time to open it, but I have several others in this series of books, and they are always great and very high quality. Sam, the main man over at Bitmap Books is super cool and always willing to help if your order has any issues, as my posters almost always arrive damaged, and I get replacements within a few days from the EU each and every time(DHL is always used).

#1445 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

Not sure if this is posted. Loved the game & art

https://www.amazon.c...w/dp/1646090845

#1446 Backlog Hog  

Backlog Hog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:40 AM

Yeah, I got sucked in to the DS Animal Crossing game, and after that one, I had to swear off the series, as I can't afford to get sucked down the rabbit hole again. LOL

Game looks great, as I've watched my son play it a few times, as well as watching YT clips, since my son is always drawn to those. A guide like this is key, and while I'm not planning to start playing the game, I'll be happy to ready the guide and see what I'm missing out on.

Do you think the UK exclusive recent books for the Metal Slug series & also the Oddworld book will eventually come to the US. Or should I import? They’re both rather pricey, but I love the art of those particular games so I’m considering importing both.

#1447 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:11 AM

Do you think the UK exclusive recent books for the Metal Slug series & also the Oddworld book will eventually come to the US. Or should I import? They’re both rather pricey, but I love the art of those particular games so I’m considering importing both.

I actually passed on that Oddworld book at the time it was offered, as my funds were tight at the time, and I never went back to see if I could get it after the fact. As for the Metal Slug book, yeah, it's killer, and if you can find the CE, spend the extra and get that version(it's super cool!). In the past, a few Bitmap books have been on Amazon, but I don't believe it was by official channels, but so long as it was discounted, who cares about that right?

In recent times, I haven't seen newer books offered, but I wasn't really looking either, as I always support these books when first offered, by pre-order, or through Kickstarter, etc. I would think the Oddworld book may be sight specific as well, since that was a higher end art book, and most of those don't get Amazon releases(or at least that I ever noticed).

#1448 Backlog Hog  

Backlog Hog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:28 AM

Damn. Might have to bite the bullet & just import em then....

#1449 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

Damn. Might have to bite the bullet & just import em then....

Well, the good news is that the really popular books from most of these places have gotten reprints, especially when they sell out over a smaller period of time(3-6 months). The more expensive and rare books that take ages to sell out, are normally that ones that are gone for good after being sold out, so plan accordingly.

#1450 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3858 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

The Oddworld book was published by Indie by Design. It’s available on their website. I doubt it’ll show up on Amazon (their previous title never did afaik).

https://indie-by-des...collections/all

Go read reviews of it before you buy. A lot of backers were not happy with the end product (the artwork is great but the presentation is mediocre)

#1451 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

Go read reviews of it before you buy. A lot of backers were not happy with the end product (the artwork is great but the presentation is mediocre)

As always, good to know, as not all of these types of books are created equal, and it mostly falls to fans of each genre to give the best views on the finished product. I only ever get these higher end art/guide books when I'm a super fan, and while I'm a fan of Oddworld games and it's art style, I'm just not a buyer at the current asking price. 

#1452 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4364 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

News: Yen Press will be localizing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Official Artworks. It's currently due to come out in October.

#1453 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3858 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

Awesome. Though I assumed Udon would end up publishing it. Either way, just glad to see it translated.

#1454 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4364 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:35 PM

Read Only Memory is having a special: 15% off all their books and prints with the code ROMSPRING - good until May 31.

Their books are very high quality, and so is their shipping. Can't recommend them enough.

#1455 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:07 PM

Read Only Memory is having a special: 15% off all their books and prints with the code ROMSPRING - good until May 31.

Their books are very high quality, and so is their shipping. Can't recommend them enough.

Yeah, I've had a few of their books, and just recently got the Sega Pop-Up one, which I actually need to open and check out, just been so busy with life, just haven't had the time. I'm sorry to say I seemed to have missed out on their "Arcade Game Typography" book, as it looks really cool, but is now sold out. I normally get emails from them for new products, but I guess this one fell through the cracks, so I'll check the secondary market I guess?

EDIT: As luck would have it, there was a paperback version, and it's up on Amazon for $27.99, so just added to my wish list and should hopefully order it soon. Great reviews to boot, so I'll for sure be grabbing a copy ASAP!

#1456 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3264 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:05 AM

Disappointed that the Breath of Fire price never dropped. Wonder if I should cancel and see if it gets a discount later.