Wii U pre-order online for Best Buy Canada

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably preorder just to be safe, but I plan to do the likely midnight launch at Yonge and Dundas Futureshop.

[quote name='Tdog987']Its a deal when s*** will be hard to find for a few months.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Wii U will gather the same demand as the Wii did, but fair enough, your thread. I figured most people would have realized that they'd be able to pre-order it at the usual places anyways.

For those wondering about the deluxe set, for the extra $50 it includes: the game Nintendo Land; an extra 24GB storage; a console stand; a charging cradle for the gamepad; and a membership to the Nintendo Network Premium service.

[quote name='VetraX']I doubt the Wii U will gather the same demand as the Wii did, but fair enough, your thread. I figured most people would have realized that they'd be able to pre-order it at the usual places anyways.

For those wondering about the deluxe set, for the extra $50 it includes: the game Nintendo Land; an extra 24GB storage; a console stand; a charging cradle for the gamepad; and a membership to the Nintendo Network Premium service.[/QUOTE]

I think so also. There will still be enough of it that a point where anyone wont be able to just walk into whatever store and pick on up...I'm expecting at least until Feb.

Sites are slowing getting updated for pre-orders and there might be a limit to how many they will take.

With the Wii I went to pre-order it at 10:30 am (store opened at 10) and they ran out of pre-orders. Don't want the same problems for people who really want it at launch.

Myeah I don't see the same kind of sale-through with the WiiU. Casuals don't even know it's a new console, they think it's an expansion of the Wii or something (and why would they want a new console when they can still play Wii Sports?)

[quote name='Lightthrower']Casuals don't even know it's a new console, they think it's an expansion of the Wii or something[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, so true!

[quote name='Lightthrower'](and why would they want a new console when they can still play Wii Sports?)[/QUOTE]
fucking casuals, haha.

I'm very frustrated by this. If the price had been higher ($350 with no game), I would have been a firm NO, lower ($250 with a game) a firm YES.

With this, I am still stuck on the fence. Unless some sort of deal crops up, like being included in whatever online x% off sale for Thanksgiving, I really doubt I'll bother with it at launch. Unless it really catches on, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 3DS style price drop after a few months.

[quote name='VetraX']I doubt the Wii U will gather the same demand as the Wii did
[/QUOTE]

That's what everyone thought would happen with the Wii, but look what actually happened. Not that I'm saying history will repeat itself with the U, but for something like this, no one can really say what will actually happen.
I'm tempted to preorder myself, but then I'm reminded I don't need another box taking up an hdmi slot.

[quote name='poiuiu']That's what everyone thought would happen with the Wii, but look what actually happened. Not that I'm saying history will repeat itself with the U, but for something like this, no one can really say what will actually happen.
I'm tempted to preorder myself, but then I'm reminded I don't need another box taking up an hdmi slot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have too many devices and unplayed games as well. I have more than enough games to tide me over until the $299 Zelda 64GB version arrives. Games will be cheaper then too.

Also the Wii was never hard to find in my city. Everyone just acted like it was. The controllers were hard to find, but with the new world of online and the price of the tablet I think there will be plenty to go around.

[quote name='Robotron2084']Yeah I have too many devices and unplayed games as well. I have more than enough games to tide me over until the $299 Zelda 64GB version arrives. Games will be cheaper then too.

Also the Wii was never hard to find in my city. Everyone just acted like it was. The controllers were hard to find, but with the new world of online and the price of the tablet I think there will be plenty to go around.[/QUOTE]

I think so too... better just wait for a limited edition bundle to come out at this point.

[quote name='poiuiu']That's what everyone thought would happen with the Wii, but look what actually happened. Not that I'm saying history will repeat itself with the U, but for something like this, no one can really say what will actually happen.
I'm tempted to preorder myself, but then I'm reminded I don't need another box taking up an hdmi slot.[/QUOTE]

It will happen again. That wasn't an accident the first time around. Nintendo held back supply to create artificial shortages, and it worked miracles for them. There's a 100% chance they're going to do it again. Even if it doesn't work like last time did, there's a certainty there will be supply problems for the first couple months.

You do realise Nintendo pretty much sold every Wii they shipped out of their warehouses right? Considering the Wii in its first 12 months easily sold twice of what the PS2 (the forever bell curve in console sales dominance) did in its first 12 months of sales.

While admittedly, Wii got two Xmases with its first 12 months, but if you arbitrarily took the Wii's first 12 months that only gave it 1 Xmas (April07-March08), it still outpaced the PS2 in terms of sales. What the Wii did was unprecedented and the demand would still be there, even if Nintendo would holding back any stock ANY STOCK AT ALL. There was literally no reason for them hold back stock when they could be sold to sell software, ie where the real money comes in. if they held back any stock at all, they did an incredibly lousy job at it; but demand for the thing lasted for years before it finally tapered off years later.

If any hardware supplier is to be called out for holding back supply to artificially inflate supply, it would be Sony with the PS2 since they were bleeding out their ass selling the thing for 299.99 at launch, but since it was the successor to the PSX, they will always have a line of customers. The demand for the box was enough to help permanently kill off the much cheaper, just as capable (at the time), and with a much better library Dreamcast.

Whereas Nintendo profitted with the Wii right at the start. If you're any sort of businessman with brain, you sell and fatten up that bottom line.

If there is a shortage of WiiU after launch, then you better believe it'll be the same reason why all new hardware will have shortages (building new hardware configuration is a pain), but it will not have the shortages the Wii had, which mind you lasted for years, longer than PS2 shortages.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ragnar14']There's a 100% chance they're going to do it again. [/QUOTE]

Please go learn about statistics.

[quote name='Faytz']I think so too... better just wait for a limited edition bundle to come out at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yup because it's guaranteed they're gonna release one later on anyways.

[quote name='EvilMario']Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably preorder just to be safe, but I plan to do the likely midnight launch at Yonge and Dundas Futureshop.[/QUOTE]

I just moved to Toronto...would it be safe walking or taking the TTC at 2AM with a bagful of new and expensive technology?

I'm preordering at that FShop but might just opt to get it in the morning.

[quote name='Griptor']I just moved to Toronto...would it be safe walking or taking the TTC at 2AM with a bagful of new and expensive technology?

I'm preordering at that FShop but might just opt to get it in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Just grab a cab.

[quote name='Griptor']I just moved to Toronto...would it be safe walking or taking the TTC at 2AM with a bagful of new and expensive technology?

I'm preordering at that FShop but might just opt to get it in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Put it in your backpack the moment you buy it in the store and bring a friend along. Personally I wouldn't risk it unless you can get a ride.

Heck I feel unsafe walking home from midnight launches for video games, let alone a brand new $400 system (add a game in + taxes and it will come up to that). It doesn't help that I live in Scarborough.

Wow, Griptor! You're in Toronto!

I never felt unsafe picking up my 3DS at the midnight launch downtown (Yonge and Dundas). I'll probably just end up stuffing the Wii U into my oversized backpack and taking the streetcar home with my wife. Generally, if you feel safe walking in the neighbourhood at the hour normally, then it's probably safe.

i pre-ordered but... I couldn't tell you why. I don't see anything I really want to play Day One.

And I personally, I think you'll be safe at 2AM. I've never had any issues anyway.

[quote name='Lightthrower']Thus reinstating the belief that Nintendo is purposely holding back units to create artificial demand...

From 2007...
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/03/nintendo-not-holding-back-wii-units/[/QUOTE]

Haha nice conspiracy theory. Without knowing the real numbers of available pre-orders, its all just the usual jealous people.

Nintendo needs all the money it can get right now since its annual loss last year. I'm not sure why they would want to stop people from giving them money. Maybe they can't actually afford the manufacturing volumes that someone like Apple would have.

Or they are feeding the Japan population first, and just sending any leftovers to America. Sometimes we forget that America is not their priority, they sell more at home.

[quote name='bloodwings']Haha nice conspiracy theory. Without knowing the real numbers of available pre-orders, its all just the usual jealous people.

Nintendo needs all the money it can get right now since its annual loss last year. I'm not sure why they would want to stop people from giving them money. Maybe they can't actually afford the manufacturing volumes that someone like Apple would have.

Or they are feeding the Japan population first, and just sending any leftovers to America. Sometimes we forget that America is not their priority, they sell more at home.[/QUOTE]

From someone on Kotaku that resumes well Nintendo's marketing strategy

"The only reason they do this is for marketing reasons. "Oh its sold out already? I now desire this more. It must be great - I wish I had gotten one."

(Nintendo decides to let it be known they have another million in stock magically)

"Oh wow they made more - i better go and buy this product before it sells out again."

*insert massive news stories*
*insert stock market flux*
*insert marginal elitism and the sub-parent "This is better than it really is" syndrom on thousands everywhere... (just like with the wii)*

It's all marketing 101."

[quote name='Lightthrower']From someone on Kotaku that resumes well Nintendo's marketing strategy

"The only reason they do this is for marketing reasons. "Oh its sold out already? I now desire this more. It must be great - I wish I had gotten one."

(Nintendo decides to let it be known they have another million in stock magically)

"Oh wow they made more - i better go and buy this product before it sells out again."

*insert massive news stories*
*insert stock market flux*
*insert marginal elitism and the sub-parent "This is better than it really is" syndrom on thousands everywhere... (just like with the wii)*

It's all marketing 101."[/QUOTE]

And right now I'm laughing at this, thinking I won't get one at launch since nothing on it really interests me. I'm not preordering it. I think it's too expensive. The only game I really need asap is Rayman Legends, and that is likely to come down in price extremely fast.

But on launch day that strategy will probably work on me. I'm that much of a sheep when it comes to video games.

Guys, its on Kotaku, that means its factual and true. After all, they do have a picture of a guy in a nice suit wearing a giant cat head.

Maybe its marketing 101 to pretend you are credible so people visit your website.

[quote name='bloodwings']Guys, its on Kotaku, that means its factual and true. After all, they do have a picture of a guy in a nice suit wearing a giant cat head.

Maybe its marketing 101 to pretend you are credible so people visit your website.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Are you trolling? I think you are :roll:

[quote name='Opopanax']Welp, Gamestop is reporting that they've already sold out of deluxe models in North America.[/QUOTE]

Toysrus is still taking preorders for the Deluxe in america so yeah they are not out yet and I think best buy is at least in my area

[quote name='Lightthrower']Huh? Are you trolling? I think you are :roll:[/QUOTE]
Well Kotaku IS known for making shit up to drive page views.

I recall by March of 2007 Wii's we're back and stock. It was the friggin' Wii remotes that were impossible to find for a long time.

[quote name='Griptor']I just moved to Toronto...would it be safe walking or taking the TTC at 2AM with a bagful of new and expensive technology?[/QUOTE]

Where in Toronto? The last subway is usually just before 2 am. *shrug*

I keep reading about how pre orders are sold out everywhere in the States, why is it so easy here? Are BB and FS slow to update their sites with things actually being sold out? Are we going to receive emails saying that the pre orders actually didn't go through or something? I'm kinda confused.

I went to EB today to pickup a copy of Kirby's Dream Collection, and asked about Wii U pre-orders. The guy said they're going to stop doing them soon as well.

I wonder how the online preorders will be distributed? Unless they know exactly how many they will be receiving, what will happen if (when) the demand outstrips the supply?

I wonder if they will ship in order of pre-order placement?

I am actually surprised they are still accepting pre-orders. Either the demand is much lower than I expected, or else they are really confident that there will be lots shipped.

I still fully anticipate that they will be sold out everywhere come holiday time of year, once the parents start getting the kids' wish lists.

I cancelled my pre-order because it didn't allow in-store pick up.

I don't need to risk UPS dropping the thing on my doorstep in the cold November Rain at noon when
I won't be home until after 4.

I've been amazed at what they leave outside my door without needing any signature.

I'm going to wait this one out. The games aren't exactly interesting. Monster Hunter maybe, but I'd really just want it to test out the hardware along with Nintendo Land.

That is probably going to be fun for a month I think, like the wii, but I am probably going to get bored of it really quickly.

Best to wait it out until a deal shows up that splits it down for half price. All these announcements have only really made me just want to sell my wii though.

[quote name='Mr.']Where in Toronto? The last subway is usually just before 2 am. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm in a temporary place right now so I don't know where I'll be living in November, haha. Anyone looking for a roommate? ;)

Gonna go to Futureshop to preorder tonight, hope I'm not too late!

[EDIT: I wasn't too late, he said this should guarantee me one at launch]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Griptor']Actually I'm in a temporary place right now so I don't know where I'll be living in November, haha. Anyone looking for a roommate? ;)

Gonna go to Futureshop to preorder tonight, hope I'm not too late!

[EDIT: I wasn't too late, he said this should guarantee me one at launch][/QUOTE]

ONLY IF YOU'RE A SMOKING HOT BLONDE! ;D

That says to me there aren't a huge number of pre-orders...

Can anyone explain why they don't do in-store pick-up? :S Seems like a simple procedure.

[quote name='Booyakz']ONLY IF YOU'RE A SMOKING HOT BLONDE! ;D[/QUOTE]

Well...as it turns out...!

[quote name='Booyakz']That says to me there aren't a huge number of pre-orders...

Can anyone explain why they don't do in-store pick-up? :S Seems like a simple procedure.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope he knew what he was talking about by saying he guarantees a launch day system. I was worried when I heard EB ran out but really...I don't buy it. Will they not have systems for the casual people that haven't even heard about it yet? I find it hard to believe they sold so quickly. They'll open up more preorders soon, I'm sure.

My colleague said Futureshop (Yonge/Dundas) told him he was the first to pre-order. He did his during the day on Saturday. I doubt they've run out already.

Also, Best Buy doesn't do in-store pre-order (odd), they told me that I could only do it online and he said there is in-store pickup, if you're looking for that option.

[quote name='Griptor']Well...as it turns out...!

Well I hope he knew what he was talking about by saying he guarantees a launch day system. I was worried when I heard EB ran out but really...I don't buy it. Will they not have systems for the casual people that haven't even heard about it yet? I find it hard to believe they sold so quickly. They'll open up more preorders soon, I'm sure.

My colleague said Futureshop (Yonge/Dundas) told him he was the first to pre-order. He did his during the day on Saturday. I doubt they've run out already.

Also, Best Buy doesn't do in-store pre-order (odd), they told me that I could only do it online and he said there is in-store pickup, if you're looking for that option.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I did my Wii U preorder at Yonge and Dundas Futureshop around 2:00pm on Saturday, before the Zelda concert. The location should be overstocked anyway, given that Nintendo loves to use it as their 'flagship' store. You can bet your ass there will be Wii U demo units setup for the midnight launch in Dundas Square.

[quote name='Opopanax']Welp, Gamestop is reporting that they've already sold out of deluxe models in North America.[/QUOTE]
Pre-ordered the deluxe model at EB on Monday without any problem.

[quote name='jarjarrick']Pre-ordered the deluxe model at EB on Monday without any problem.[/QUOTE]

My Gamestop said they would stop taking preorder soon. No as bad as in the US here because of Black Friday.

bread's done
Back