Wii U composite cable?

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So I'm trying to find out if there's a composite cable announced for the Wii U out there yet. All I can find are forum rants from people whining about how evil Nintendo is for making them buy another cable. I don't mind- I get that not upgrading my TV means I'll have to start shelling out for obsolete hookups, and that's fine. I just want to find one so I can price things out- that way, if getting a Wii U becomes an option before upgrading the TV does, I can actually play it.

Has anyone happened to see such a listing around, or know for sure if a Wii U can use a Wii composite cable?

•Connections: Four USB 2.0, one SD card slot, AV multi-out port, supporting composite/component/VGA, HDMI 1.4 port, internal NFC sensor
http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/

It doesn't explicitly state that the Wii composite/component cables are backwards compatible but I cannot see why they wouldn't be.

Found this E3 picture of the back off the Wii U
100_4437.jpg

http://www.ripten.com/2011/06/11/wii-u-pics-justin6464/

While searching for that, I found this interesting.
For whatever reason, the company doesn't want those ports shown, but we can tell you what they consist of: AC adapter, AV multiout, sensor bar, HDMI out and what looks like two ports for USB.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nintendos-wii-u-up-close-and-personal-a-photo-tour/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, need these for vacations with cheap TVs in the room. :) But really that's becoming less and less a problem. I think every hotel or condo in the last year we've stayed at has had HDTVs.

I'm curious as to if my wii component cable will output 720p to my hdtv from the Wii U. I know the connector is the same but that doesn't necessarily mean it will do more than 480p through component.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, need these for vacations with cheap TVs in the room. :) But really that's becoming less and less a problem. I think every hotel or condo in the last year we've stayed at has had HDTVs.[/QUOTE]Curious, were these located in towns and/or cities?

[quote name='ps2emotions']I'm curious as to if my wii component cable will output 720p to my hdtv from the Wii U. I know the connector is the same but that doesn't necessarily mean it will do more than 480p through component.[/QUOTE]

It is more than likely that it WILL do higher than 480p. Component connections are capable of going all the way up to 1080p. The reason why the PS3 frequently limits it's component output is because of its HDCP protection, due to its capacity as a Blu-Ray player. (hence it's HDMI requirement for higher resolutions) For a system that doesn't play Blu-Rays, such as the XBox 360, component output will allow for higher resolutions. (I have run 360s at 1080p using the component cables for years)

While I don't have any confirmation, I think it very likely that the WiiU will support 720p/1080p for playing games. Nintendo has never built video disc playback into their own hardware, and has never had to bother with those standards as a result.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']So I'm trying to find out if there's a composite cable announced for the Wii U out there yet. All I can find are forum rants from people whining about how evil Nintendo is for making them buy another cable. I don't mind- I get that not upgrading my TV means I'll have to start shelling out for obsolete hookups, and that's fine. I just want to find one so I can price things out- that way, if getting a Wii U becomes an option before upgrading the TV does, I can actually play it.

Has anyone happened to see such a listing around, or know for sure if a Wii U can use a Wii composite cable?[/QUOTE]

Good lord man, take that $400+ for the WiiU and get an HDTV instead. :)

[quote name='Corvin']Good lord man, take that $400+ for the WiiU and get an HDTV instead. :)[/QUOTE]
Completely off topic, but last weekend I helped my younger brother-in-law set up his new (used) PS3 in his room, on an old CRT TV with his old PS2 composite cable (no component option on this TV). Let me tell you, that was painful, not to set up of course, but just to see the end result...

bread's done
Back