Diamond Trust of London (DS) $30

Well I have to admit that looks pretty interesting and this is the first time I've heard of a kickstarter video game that's actually delivered its product too. I might end up getting it.

I bought this a few weeks ago - it's honestly a little more than I'll usually spend on a video game, but it's such a unique piece that I felt it was worth it (after missing the Kickstarter fundraise). It looks like there were (far) fewer than 10,000 made, and when I received it, the package was hand-addressed from "Rohrer". I know Jason Rohrer isn't some mega-celebrity, and who knows if he had any contact with the shipment, but I think it's still neat to have this minor connection to someone who is attempting to push the boundaries of video games and has found some niche fame.

I picked this up from the Kickstarter Arcade area at PAX. The devs were pretty nice guys. I still haven't gotten around to playing it though, since I think it would be better to leave sealed due to its scarcity. I'll probably just play it via other methods when I actually want to play it.

[quote name='nwaugh']I bought this a few weeks ago - it's honestly a little more than I'll usually spend on a video game, but it's such a unique piece that I felt it was worth it (after missing the Kickstarter fundraise). It looks like there were (far) fewer than 10,000 made, and when I received it, the package was hand-addressed from "Rohrer". I know Jason Rohrer isn't some mega-celebrity, and who knows if he had any contact with the shipment, but I think it's still neat to have this minor connection to someone who is attempting to push the boundaries of video games and has found some niche fame.[/QUOTE]

Actually, he and his wife hand packed every single game that went out. I supported the Kickstarter and he kept contributors updated from the large packing boxes arriving at his house full of finished games to dropping off the last package for shipment at his local post office.

[quote name='Drclaw411']http://n4g.com/news/1071470/unboxing-diamond-trust-of-london-special-edition[/QUOTE]

That was actually kind of cool.

I wonder how many people will leave those LE envelopes completely sealed and how many will crack them open to enjoy the contents?

For the record, I did post about the KS on CAG just so to help spread the word a little, but did not get much attention. here

I went for their $100 tier and got two copies of the limited edition, opened one to play and saved one sealed for collecting.

The game is unique, but on my initial trial I was not smart enough to figure out how to play it properly. Will need more free time to get into it...

[quote name='Asgardian']For the record, I did post about the KS on CAG just so to help spread the word a little, but did not get much attention. here

I went for their $100 tier and got two copies of the limited edition, opened one to play and saved one sealed for collecting.

The game is unique, but on my initial trial I was not smart enough to figure out how to play it properly. Will need more free time to get into it...[/QUOTE]

The q/a on the website says the AI isn't a pushover, but the game is truly meant to be played multiplayer. Did you play multiplayer or single player? I'm just wondering what to expect once I get my copy.

[quote name='ea_woods']You really need a second player.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody know if this supports air play? Wondering if I should pick up a third copy. I ordered one from the site, and also got a sealed special edition from ebay (outside the envelope but sealed, signed and numbered) to keep for my collection. I assumed i'd only need one play copy because of AirPlay but if it doesn't support that I'll probably end up buying a 2nd play copy. I wish GS listed this used. I'd love to use the coke promo for a cart only 2nd play copy.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...never heard of this game until now. Put it on Amazon and I'll consider it at $30 or less.

Edit: Watched this video and still understand this game. You're a diamond dealer?
The music seems nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rci5OMMmv8w[/QUOTE]

It looks like the concept is to exploit a country's natural resources like hell until legislation creates new barricades for the industry. After that you haul ass elsewhere or continue to try to exploit it in other ways.

Oops should say: "I don't understand this game."

Yeah, I guess this isn't my kind of game. I would rather put money towards trying to get a kickstarter for localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and/or Mega Man Legends 3 on the DS, but that's just me.

Definitely would put money towards a for a kickstarter for a DS version of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Don't care if it won't look as graphically pretty as the 3DS/Vita versions.

More on topic: I watched the unboxing video, posted here, of the limited edition of Diamond Trust of London. All the little limited edition goodies were nice. Would have liked a soundtrack CD that I could rip to put on my MP3 player.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Oops should say: "I don't understand this game."

Yeah, I guess this isn't my kind of game. I would rather put money towards trying to get a kickstarter for localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 or Mega Man Legends 3 on the DS, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point of this guys project.

[quote name='Gosha']I think you are missing the point of this guys project.[/QUOTE]

Explain. Beyond the point that the game is $30, was a kickstarter, and only available through their website.

[quote name='Gosha']I picked this up from the Kickstarter Arcade area at PAX. The devs were pretty nice guys. I still haven't gotten around to playing it though, since I think it would be better to leave sealed due to its scarcity. I'll probably just play it via other methods when I actually want to play it.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! Well, I guess this goes to Cheapy's point in the CAGcast where he said PAX is great because it has so many different things to do. I was there for all 3 days and didn't even know such an area existed. I probably would have gotten this game if I had known that.

Congrats for them for getting their game made, but they win for most plain and boring cover to a DS game. xD

Game sounds alright. Will wait for price drop. :p

[quote name='Gosha']http://diamondtrustgame.com/news/

Should just read the Project History blog about it.[/QUOTE]

No, I'll probably miss the point again. You seem to have a better grasp on this game's history. Explain the point that I'm unable to understand and have missed.

My guess is kickstarters aren't all scams and this game would have never been possible without a kickstarter.

I don't like the game, not my style. I'll buy it when it is $10 or less now.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Does anybody know if this supports air play? Wondering if I should pick up a third copy. I ordered one from the site, and also got a sealed special edition from ebay (outside the envelope but sealed, signed and numbered) to keep for my collection. I assumed i'd only need one play copy because of AirPlay but if it doesn't support that I'll probably end up buying a 2nd play copy. I wish GS listed this used. I'd love to use the coke promo for a cart only 2nd play copy.[/QUOTE]

You only need one cartridge to play with a friend.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']No, I'll probably miss the point again. You seem to have a better grasp on this game's history. Explain the point that I'm unable to understand and have missed.

My guess is kickstarters aren't all scams and this game would have never been possible without a kickstarter.

I don't like the game, not my style. I'll buy it when it is $10 or less now.[/QUOTE]

Good luck.

Site shows there are total 4181 copies left and it is not being sold through normal retail channels. I'm guessing he will not need to discount them. Once stock gets low I suspect they will sell out quick to those who want to speculate on it becoming a collectible.

http://diamondtrustgame.com/buy.php

[quote name='ceckman']Good luck.

Site shows there are total 4181 copies left and it is not being sold through normal retail channels. I'm guessing he will not need to discount them. Once stock gets low I suspect they will sell out quick to those who want to speculate on it becoming a collectible.

http://diamondtrustgame.com/buy.php[/QUOTE]

It's down to less than half at this point (assuming the original 10,000 was indeed the amount produced) so it's been selling well to this point. Because it is ONLY sold on the website for the game (GS and Amazon don't even have pages for used copies) and the fact that it's already been paid for via kickstarter (no rush to move product), there is no real reason to ever lower the price.

If these Q's hasn't been answered, here are some A's:

(1) You can play 2 players via single cart download play (haven't tried - my kids are too young) but player two would not have music -- but of course, if you have two carts, then all is good.
(2) Everyone who brought the limited edition got a code to download a "linear" version of the soundtrack, the version in-game is "interactive".

Interactive Music Engine

Tom Bailey's interactive music changes based on what's going on in the game, but it also functions in an "endless music generation" mode if you close the lid and plug in headphones or speakers. Never the same music twice, and you can listen for many hours before you'll hear all the great moments that his music has to offer.

Soundtrack Anthology (Kickstarter Exclusive)

Yes, the game has a fully-interactive soundtrack, but that won't work on your MP3 player. We've assembled a collection of linear music to suit that purpose---original demos, musical sketches, outtakes, and remixes. Hear the six original musical sketches that served as inspiration for some of the interactive tracks that made it into the game (you can listen to two examples above). Tom has also arranged a bunch of remixes and other interpretations of the music in the game. You'll even get to hear stuff that didn't end up in the game for one reason or another.

The Soundtrack Anthology will be a private, exclusive digital download for Kickstarter backers who receive the Limited edition or who pledge a bit extra for the regular edition. The material in the Anthology will never be publicly available after the Kickstarter campaign.

[quote name='ceckman']Good luck.

http://diamondtrustgame.com/buy.php[/QUOTE]

Still haven't explained the point I'm missing. That's great and all a game that probably wasn't initially up to Nintendo's standards was released anyway.

I mean why not release it on XBLA?

Now I'm not taking this DS game! Unless someone pays me to take it off their hands. At least $1 including shipping and handling seems fair.

And yes, probably my loss. Have a nice day! :)

[quote name='slidecage']30 looks way high for what the game looks like[/QUOTE]

This random guy made a DS game and was actually able to have cartridges made and delivered to his house, to sell exclusively out of his garage. A DS game. That's a huge deal. I imagine that there was NO wiggle room for cheaper than $30 on these. And when they're gone, they're gone.

[quote name='Vegan']This random guy made a DS game and was actually able to have cartridges made and delivered to his house, to sell exclusively out of his garage. A DS game. That's a huge deal. I imagine that there was NO wiggle room for cheaper than $30 on these. And when they're gone, they're gone.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I doubt he has any reason to ever discount them.

Granted, I skimmed through the gameplay video with the sound off, but this game looks terrible.

This seems more of a "Let's support the indie guy!" rather than "Damn, I want this game!"

Out of the 10,000 copies of this game made:
- 9,950 will be kept sealed for collecting or to sell later.
- 50 will actually be played.

There are many hidden gems on the DS with great gameplay that struggled to even sell 5,000 copies.
This game with its incredibly niche gameplay easily sold 10,000 due to such widespread public awareness of its guaranteed rarity.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Granted, I skimmed through the gameplay video with the sound off, but this game looks terrible.

This seems more of a "Let's support the indie guy!" rather than "Damn, I want this game!"[/QUOTE]

There's your problem. Try it with the sound on. You need to hear an explanation of why it's happening, and why it's such a cool multiplayer concept.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Agreed. I doubt he has any reason to ever discount them.[/QUOTE]

i forgot he can make a fort and live in it when they dont sell and he loses his house :)

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Granted, I skimmed through the gameplay video with the sound off, but this game looks terrible.

This seems more of a "Let's support the indie guy!" rather than "Damn, I want this game!"[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a game for those without another person who is interested in playing it.

However, if you have another person to play the game with, it is awesome.

Easily one of my top favorite ds games.

Those who think it looks terrible probably don't play a lot of board games.

Which is fine, it just means that it's not really "for" you.

The idea is incredibly brilliant. It sets out to do something no board game could possibly accomplish. The only caveat is being stuck with having to find a friend locally. If this game was from a giant heartless developer, at least we'd have online play

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']The idea is incredibly brilliant. It sets out to do something no board game could possibly accomplish. The only caveat is being stuck with having to find a friend locally. If this game was from a giant heartless developer, at least we'd have online play[/QUOTE]

It does have air play, so there's that. Does anyone that's played this have any comment on the quality of games vs AI?

bread's done
Back