* * * * * 11 votes

LEGO Deals 3

#14881 elessar123  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Yea, everything has clear unique pieces this time.

Also, you can easily feel the inner bag with figures that have capes in this set. Oddly enough, they bagged the Lego pieces in them instead of the capes. Anna's cape also feels velvety and not as cheap as older capes. The new skirts are also nice in that they stay on, but they are really hard to get off.

Oh, and Jack has 4 of those 1x1 flat rounds for whatever reason. You'll feel those.

Frozone comes with both the normal rectangle base and a round base, which was confusing from the graphic I linked.

#14882 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

I'm impressed with people who are able to feel differences between these parts through a bag. I guess it's a skill I just don't have. As an experiment, I just bought 4 blind bags and then tried to guess which figures they were. Even with the chart above and the benefit of unlimited time at home, I only guessed 2 out of 4 correctly. Just hilariously bad.

#14883 prim4444   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2038 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:52 PM

I've had a lot of practice. Working at TRU helped with that.

Today is the first time I've had all my figures in one spot.  Having them in the large mini figure cases makes it hard to keep them all in one place.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14884 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10385 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Thats awesome primm

#14885 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6249 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:51 AM

Picked up a few Disney series 2 minifigs at Barnes and Noble. Not sure if they’re hard to find at all, but it was my first time finding a box outside of a trip to the LEGO store.

I’m terrible at the whole blind package feeling thing, but amazingly managed to get all the figures I wanted, namely the Nightmare Before Xmas and Steamboat stuff.

#14886 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Someone must be scalping my local Target. Endcap was wiped out save for maybe 4-5 packages after maybe a week's arrival.  That said, able to locate Edna and Huey. Now I just need his brothers and "Unca" Scrooge.

#14887 deadlykittenpaws  

deadlykittenpaws

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

https://ideas.lego.c...48-7d37c86f8901

Vote for ISS!

#14888 salty tbone   Flipmode Squad CAGiversary!   3166 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

salty tbone

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

I’ve been having terrible luck with Walmart and their app and Brickseek. Too many phantom “4 in stock” items to keep chasing broken dreams

#14889 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5271 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:37 AM

Voted for ISS but Stitch is pretty cool.

#14890 deadlykittenpaws  

deadlykittenpaws

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

#14891 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4475 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

I went to Target yesterday and they had the Disney figs by the register.  I've been trying to stay away from buying more Lego though.  I haven't bought a new set in a while.

#14892 El Rey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2196 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

I’m down to just needing Louie and Dale

Edit - just found them at lunch, writhin minutes, all done!

#14893 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

It's a shame that these failed sets are now pitted against each other (I think they're all fantastic), but what worries me is Stitch will win and they'll modify it worse than this perfect version. They did that with the DeLorean too.

Although people sign away their legal rights when they submit these, I wonder if copyright law comes into play with the submissions from U.S. creators, that Lego tries to make enough changes to be considered not an infringement. Then again, the creators ARE using copyrighted characters and icons to begin with so.... :???: (there's no actual percentage of changes required, it's decided on a case-by-case basis, like the Shepard Fairey "Hope" poster he cribbed from an AP photo of Barack, ended up paying a cool $1 mil to them). 

#14894 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9808 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:54 AM

It's a shame that these failed sets are now pitted against each other (I think they're all fantastic), but what worries me is Stitch will win and they'll modify it worse than this perfect version. They did that with the DeLorean too.

Although people sign away their legal rights when they submit these, I wonder if copyright law comes into play with the submissions from U.S. creators, that Lego tries to make enough changes to be considered not an infringement. Then again, the creators ARE using copyrighted characters and icons to begin with so.... :???: (there's no actual percentage of changes required, it's decided on a case-by-case basis, like the Shepard Fairey "Hope" poster he cribbed from an AP photo of Barack, ended up paying a cool $1 mil to them). 

I'm assuming you know the story with what happened to the Ghostbusters HQ Ideas designer? LEGO treated him like shit and stole his design. Then there is also the Flinstones designer who was interviewed and was trying to find nice ways of 'LEGO fucked up my design'.

I find this 'contest' to be weird. Just make the sets or don't. There is a new Eagle lander for the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing. Pictures were leaked early (Oh no, it will destroy sales!!!). Just make an ISS, space stuff clearly sells. The Mars Rover sold out in 2 hours. There is a deal with Disney, just make Stitch. It's really weird.

LEGO announced the next Idea set is another desk filler, a set of dinosaur skeletons. The working piano is still being looked into. But the food stands were rejected. How much does someone want to bet that there will be a Creator or City set within a year that will include several food stands? It's what LEGO does. 

#14895 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

You answered your own question there :) All submissions to the Ideas program become the intellectual property of LEGO whether they are selected or not. If not selected, the IP rights revert back to the original creator after 3 years. It's all spelled out in the Ideas terms of service. So LEGO has no obligation to make any changes to the original designs as they own those designs upon submission.

As a side note, I know Shepard Fairey and was tangentially involved in that case. He would have won and scored an important fair use victory that would have created good precedent for artists and online creators, but he went and screwed it all up by lying to the court and destroying evidence. Total dick move, I'm still pissed at him as are a lot of other people.

#14896 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

You answered your own question there :) All submissions to the Ideas program become the intellectual property of LEGO whether they are selected or not. If not selected, the IP rights revert back to the original creator after 3 years. It's all spelled out in the Ideas terms of service. So LEGO has no obligation to make any changes to the original designs as they own those designs upon submission.

As a side note, I know Shepard Fairey and was tangentially involved in that case. He would have won and scored an important fair use victory that would have created good precedent for artists and online creators, but he went and screwed it all up by lying to the court and destroying evidence. Total dick move, I'm still pissed at him as are a lot of other people.

To be fair, even I felt that his use of the image wasn't really "fair use"--had it been used for a non-profit purpose, then yes, he would have had a solid case. But he sold them straight out of the gate from an image he didn't have permission to use. Just because you slap a few gradients and turn up the contrast on a news organization's picture doesn't make it okay. I say this as an artist myself. If he had worked a deal out with AP, then he wouldn't have had a problem in the first place.

#14897 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

My Target has some pretty new sets on clearance. I got the Spider-Man Hydro-Man set for 50% off and the Spider-Man Iron Man jet set for 30% off. Also got the Star Wars Endor battle action set for 70% off. These battle action sets seem targeted to little kids but for $9 this seems like a good set of parts.

#14898 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

My Target has some pretty new sets on clearance. I got the Spider-Man Hydro-Man set for 50% off and the Spider-Man Iron Man jet set for 30% off. Also got the Star Wars Endor battle action set for 70% off. These battle action sets seem targeted to little kids but for $9 this seems like a good set of parts.

Dude, no Targets in my whole state have those prices.  Jesus must love you.

#14899 Watchman   Webslinger/Wanderer Hunter CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

Seriously. I don't know if I've ever seen a branded Lego set on clearance at any of my Targets.

#14900 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I live in NYC and we have the mini-Targets here. Most of them just opened within the last couple of years, too. My theory is that because the stores are so small (with about 8 feet of LEGO shelf space), shelf space is at a massive premium so they are on a different clearance cycle. I have no idea, it's just a hunch. But these are also the stores that clearanced out the LEGO Movie 2 sets months ago.

If you use zip code 10009 on Brickseek you'll see that the Manhattan stores have all of these random clearances that even the outer-borough Targets don't.

Edit: Looks like I missed out by not checking Target in the last couple of weeks -- they had the mid-priced Avengers sets at 70%. One store in the area still has the Hall of Armor for $18, but I don't have time to go.

#14901 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4182 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:17 PM

Where would you even display Legos if you live in a Manhattan? Unless you’re rich, you’re living in a cracker box

#14902 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10385 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

This is coming from a guy that got a box of series 1 lego minifigures for $3. :oldman:

#14903 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

It was actually $2.

Praise be to Jesus. :pray: 

#14904 Keent1947  

Keent1947

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for your help guys

#14905 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Anytime Keent1947.  That's why we're here.

#14906 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

In case you missed it for 50% off at Barnes & Noble a couple months ago, Amazon now has the Mining Heavy Driller for 50% off as well:

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B075NTKN6M

#14907 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5271 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

Looks like Apollo 11 comes out June 1st at $100 for almost 1,100 pieces.

I want it but don't think it's in the budget after getting the Disney Castle, Steamboat Willie and Falcon. lol  

#14908 elessar123  

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

I like how it looks, but I actually don't know if I want it. I don't have any of the space stuff.

#14909 prim4444   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2038 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:09 AM

Hopefully the Lander stays in stock until the 5th. I want that Space Rocket Ride GWP.

#14910 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10385 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

Looks like Apollo 11 comes out June 1st at $100 for almost 1,100 pieces.

I want it but don't think it's in the budget after getting the Disney Castle, Steamboat Willie and Falcon. lol  

You don't need to eat and you can donate some plasma, if you really want to push it go donate some little corvins.