* * * * * 11 votes

LEGO Deals 3

#15601 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2604 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

Our New Year's Eve builds.  My son built his Falcon over a couple of days but saved the last piece for midnight last night.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I really don't like using my phone as a controller for Lego vehicles.  I want real, physical sticks and buttons!

Thinking about adding lights to the Falcon.  There's light kits for the truck too, but I think the wiring would interfere with its actual driving abilities.

20200101_145811.jpg

#15602 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10211 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

My son and I built the app-controlled Batmobile and didn't like it either. It's ok but I do totally prefer the OG remote controll. It really sucks when you want to use multiple sets.

#15603 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

Maybe I'm just old school, but I really don't like using my phone as a controller for Lego vehicles.  I want real, physical sticks and buttons!

No, it's called being intelligent. LEGO has worse ADD than me, every other day they come up with a new system to power things. What happens in 1-3 years when the app system isn't supported on newer phones? You are just shit out of luck?

At least with a remote it will work until the remote breaks.

#15604 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1750 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:54 PM

It's the 5th largest set by piece count at almost 5,000. 
Biggest sets I've built have been Destiny's Bounty and Fishing Shop at almost 2300. Awesome sets. I'm going to build sanctum sanctorum showdown later today.

Hope you cleaned yourself up after the santorum.

#15605 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

Hope you cleaned yourself up after the santorum.

It's 2020.
We will all need to be showering in bleach by the end of it.

#15606 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2618 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

Found the DC minifigures yesterday.  Puzzle Zoo wanted 8.95 (!) for them, which was absolute batshit because this particular store is literally next door to a Lego store.  They are indeed $5 now.

Which marks my end of minifigures.  I would have liked all of the DC crew, but picked just the eight I thought were essential and not in any sets: Mister Miracle, Bat Mite, Huntress, Stargirl, Metamorpho, Jay Garrick, Simon Baz, and (since I skipped most of his sets) Aquaman.

If you want to feel these up, be aware that they all now come with action stands, which means there are new parts that are the same in every bag.  This threw me for a bit until I realized that.  Otherwise, there are distinguishing elements that make it pretty straightforward to figure out who's who.

Building Ninjago City now, putting the Sanctum Santorum (ew) on hold since I picked up multiples and am figuring out how to assemble them together -- I should end up with two modulars (one for Strange and one for Peter Parker) when they're done.

#15607 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

Building Ninjago City now, putting the Sanctum Santorum (ew) on hold since I picked up multiples and am figuring out how to assemble them together -- I should end up with two modulars (one for Strange and one for Peter Parker) when they're done.

So you stopped your multiple santorum project for NinjaGo City? And Retroxcellence was worried about me being messy.

AWD seems to have the $40 Jurassic World helicopter on sale for $12.14. There are 14 in stock.
https://www.amazon.c...EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

#15608 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1750 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:25 AM

So you stopped your multiple santorum project for NinjaGo City? And Retroxcellence was worried about me being messy.
AWD seems to have the $40 Jurassic World helicopter on sale for $12.14. There are 14 in stock.https://www.amazon.c...EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

I will not be happy until Santorum is spread across this great nation. I'm still hoping to find that set at Walmart

#15609 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:38 AM

I will not be happy until Santorum is spread across this great nation. I'm still hoping to find that set at Walmart

There are worse things than santorums at most Walmarts.

#15610 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1750 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:26 AM

There are worse things than santorums at most Walmarts.

The Walmart I usually go to has has had a meth lab under its parking lot and a stabbing/scalping somewhat recently.
https://www.wgrz.com...st/71-290925248 it might explain why about half the Lego sets are now locked in glass cases

#15611 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10211 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:34 AM

lol... Somebody watched a little too much breaking bad.

Just read on brick fan that it’s been reported that the LEGO dc gigs are showing $3.44.

#15612 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2604 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

lol... Somebody watched a little too much breaking bad.

Just read on brick fan that it’s been reported that the LEGO dc gigs are showing $3.44.

Walmart website shows $4.99 but brickseek shows $3.44 in store.  Nobody has stock around me yet.

https://brickseek.co.../?sku=341071743

#15613 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

AWD seems to have the $40 Jurassic World helicopter on sale for $12.14. There are 14 in stock.
https://www.amazon.c...EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

They had some for $11.25 the other day so I ordered 2 (the set is meh but I want to get as many dinos as possible). AWD has been having some great deals these past couple weeks, especially on retired sets. I got some Scooby Doo sets and others for much less than eBay or BrickLink, not to mention a sealed Ninjago City for $170.

#15614 nbskid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Walmart website shows $4.99 but brickseek shows $3.44 in store.  Nobody has stock around me yet.

https://brickseek.co.../?sku=341071743

According to Brickseek, my Walmarts are out of stock as well.

They aren't. Got some yesterday. There was a bin in the middle of an aisle, semi-near the toys, with new Trolls sets, and the DC minifigures, for  $3.44. 

#15615 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

They had some for $11.25 the other day so I ordered 2 (the set is meh but I want to get as many dinos as possible). AWD has been having some great deals these past couple weeks, especially on retired sets. I got some Scooby Doo sets and others for much less than eBay or BrickLink, not to mention a sealed Ninjago City for $170.

It's weird there were 14 of them. That has to be two shipping boxes from LEGO. I bought one just figuring I could sell the dinosaur alone for $10 as I don't care about them at all. I just buy the slightly smaller knockoffs. :) I would like a new T-Rex, I have the Dino Attack / Dino 2010 one with the light up tongue.

Nice find on the Scooby sets, I set them up at Halloween time, besides the van which I keep out all the time.

#15616 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

It's weird there were 14 of them. That has to be two shipping boxes from LEGO. I bought one just figuring I could sell the dinosaur alone for $10 as I don't care about them at all. I just buy the slightly smaller knockoffs. :) I would like a new T-Rex, I have the Dino Attack / Dino 2010 one with the light up tongue.

Nice find on the Scooby sets, I set them up at Halloween time, besides the van which I keep out all the time.

They sold out of those 14 immediately and then added more stock multiple times over the weekend. Sometimes they would get 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 13. I really wonder where these all came from and what condition they will be in.

I built the Mystery Machine over the weekend. Really nice design. I wish all 4 figures plus Scooby fit inside but I understand why that wouldn't work. Maybe I'll modify it. 

I also sort of wish there was an action feature where the supernatural bad guys were exposed to be regular old cranks like on the show (reverse Hidden Side effect). For example with the tree it would be pretty easy to have a lever that pops it open and there's an old guy inside. 

#15617 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10211 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

I guess they could have done an oversized monster head to hide the human face.

#15618 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Most of the monsters in Scooby Doo have the reversible faces showing them to be humans. I have the bro and the lesbians in the Scooby Machine and Scooby and Shaggy on the motorcycle from the big mansion / castle.

#15619 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

Most of the monsters in Scooby Doo have the reversible faces showing them to be humans. I have the bro and the lesbians in the Scooby Machine and Scooby and Shaggy on the motorcycle from the big mansion / castle.

Oh interesting. I have only built the van set and I don't think the zombie has a reversible face (presumably because he has no hat or hair to hide the other side). I want to try to get the castle but it costs a fortune and I don't want to get the Asian knockoff.

#15620 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

Oh interesting. I have only built the van set and I don't think the zombie has a reversible face (presumably because he has no hat or hair to hide the other side). I want to try to get the castle but it costs a fortune and I don't want to get the Asian knockoff.

I'm trying remember the figures as I have about 5,000 of them in 3-4 different places. But the vampire and the guy in the lighthouse do for sure. The zombie with the tree has the buttons on his back of his head to make sure it's a mask and not a real zombie.

Here's a youtube video of the figures with their human faces. I'd suggest muting it as the guy's voice is super annoying. What's also interesting is that LEGO could print colors on a black background in 2015, but since has done a horrible job with that.
https://www.youtube....h?v=9jua15tnXOQ

#15621 illennium   Systems Analyst CAGiversary!   1801 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

Amazon has DC minifigs for $3.44.

The increase in MSRP (on both minifigs and regular sets) is obnoxious but I think it is largely being driven by retailers who want to sell at a discount on or soon after day one. That doesn't make it any better but I think that's a big part of what is going on with these price hikes.

#15622 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Amazon has DC minifigs for $3.44.

The increase in MSRP (on both minifigs and regular sets) is obnoxious but I think it is largely being driven by retailers who want to sell at a discount on or soon after day one. That doesn't make it any better but I think that's a big part of what is going on with these price hikes.

I think you have it backwards. Retailers want to price LEGO on sale to move it more, LEGO doesn't like that as it's a 'high end toy' (with horrible quality control). So LEGO increases the price on thing 20% to make up for the difference.

At the same time they didn't think this over. $5 for a 9 piece minifigure or $10 for a 150 piece mech? Not all the sets have gone up with price, so now it just seems random. But $80 for a 450 piece TIE Fighter and $90 for an X-Wing is simply insane. Then there is the new Creator 3in1 building that has 550 pieces and is $40 when last year's was $40 for 400 pieces. So clearly LEGO prices aren't based on anything besides insane greed.

And in weird LEGO news I don't believe, supposedly this summer there will be a new AR LEGO theme. I find that hard to believe as we haven't had more than two original LEGO themes in over a decade. Plus what if Hidden Side failed? LEGO just going to throw another AR theme at the wall and hope it sticks? All I ask for is a theme that has better boxes than the Hidden Side sets. Those things barely even show you the LEGO.

#15623 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3957 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

All I ask for is a theme that has better boxes than the Hidden Side sets. Those things barely even show you the LEGO.

^This. You can barely tell the back of the boxes from the front

#15624 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. There were three left during clearance, two boats and the cemetery. They were difficult to tell apart.

Also the Minion sets will be released in May. There are 5 of them.

#15625 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4474 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

We've been downsizing so I've been throwing out some of the Lego boxes I've been saving for a while now.  Hurts to toss them, but at least I get some space back.

#15626 Irukandji   Lurking and Twerking CAGiversary!   1381 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

^This. You can barely tell the back of the boxes from the front

You guys mean the side of the box that's.....(puts on sunglasses)...hidden?

#15627 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:29 PM

LEGO hired Epstein to make an 'ad' for a new (previously canceled) line of products called Dots. The ad just shows young girls and no LEGO product at all. It's really odd.

And a new AR theme in the summer will supposedly have 18 sets, several will probably be 'spinners' or something like that.

#15628 biggdaddy  

biggdaddy

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:00 PM

LEGO Ideas ISS comes out Feb 1st.

First picture...
https://www.instagra.../p/B7HdCd_Jiwm/

#15629 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4474 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bdof4AQ

It took a day to find the parts to build this but my boys love it. They saw it in the Lego Ideas book and wanted me to build it for them. Now it's a Star Wars tower.

#15630 dschroll  

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:43 AM

I know this is a Lego thread, but just in case anyone is interested, the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull has been significantly reduced in price. MSRP is $250 and right now amazon and walmart are selling for $130.  This is a 3500+ piece set and seems to be getting great reviews.  I just snagged one myself, but I thought others here might also be interested.  

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

My apologies if I'm not supposed to talk about non Lego brand items here.