Fire Pro Wrestling (XBLA) - 9/21 release

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Longtime Fire Pro fans, your nightmares have become reality! Hooray!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335DFB4yw6U

Website - http://playxbla.com/are-you-ready-to-rumble-firepro-wrestling-launches-september-21st/

Unleash your Avatar onto the ring! Witness the rebirth of the masterpiece of casual pro-wrestling, Fire Pro Wrestling, on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Chisel a wrestler out of your own Xbox LIVE Avatar by outfitting it with over-the-top costumes and equipping it with an arsenal of moves. Then, take on your family, friends, and strangers the world over in Single, Tag, and many other game modes to bring the champion belt home! Click Read More to check out gameplay features, trailer, and screenshot gallery!

Not a Pro Wrestler? No problem!
Is this your first Pro Wrestling game? No problem! Jump right in with your own Avatar through Fire Pro Wrestling’s approachable game mechanics.

Freedom to Customize
Take on your opponent with over 300 unlockable wrestling moves.
Show off your style with over 300 costume items.
Of course, you can also run past the wardrobe and jump into the ring with your Avatar appearing just like it does on the Dashboard!

Growth (RPG) elements
Train hard and take down various opponents in the campaign mode.
Gain experience through matches to increase your power, speed, technique, and other stats. No two wrestlers will be the same!

Multiplayer
Up to four wrestlers face off either offline or over Xbox LIVE.
Go head to head (to head to head) in all-out Battle Royale, or test your camaraderie in Tag Team co-op mode.

Featuring Avatar FameStar
Play Xbox LIVE Arcade titles that support Avatar FameStar to complete Weekly Challenges and other tasks and gain Fame points. Accumulate Fame points to place yourself against your friends in the FameStar leaderboards or unlock special Avatar costumes.

For those unfamiliar, this game was first announced many years ago. After a gameplay demo with one of the developers was posted on Gamespot's site, it was mercilessly ridiculed and dismissed by pretty much anyone who saw it, Fire Pro fans or not. It was pretty much thought dead by most, until it strangely popped up out of nowhere earlier this year. I guess I'm making this thread as an appeal to the video game gods that somehow, some way the last few years have resulted in it being completely overhauled and turned into something that is at least respectable & not a hideous disgrace to the Fire Pro name. I guess we'll know on 9/21. If you're even slightly interested, this is one of the strongest cases of "try before you buy" I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a blind buy to a lot of people assuming it'll just be like older Fire Pro games, then they will get pissy when they realized it is a heavily watered down version to appeal to the masses.

I will definitely be getting it. I hadn't heard anything about the game in a long time, so the release date being so close is a pleasant surprise.

This has definitely been on the shelf for awhile considering it has a 200 achievement score over the now normal 400.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIV2-z7EzBQ[/QUOTE]

Ha, yep. That's the video I referenced in the OP. I feel bad for the guy that had to show that off all day.

Ha...that video that KingofOldSchool posted is what I referenced in the OP. I feel bad for the guy that had to show that off all day.

Ha...that video that KingofOldSchool posted is what I referenced in the OP. I feel bad for the guy that had to show that off all day.

[quote name='kingtut313']so this has nothing in common with the old fire pro games except the name? its like avatar wrestling?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

Complete with some tickle move.

Yeah, not sure what to think of this. I'll check out the demo. I loved Fire Pro Wrestling Returns on the PS2...my first, and only Fire Pro game i've played and I still bring out the PS2 to play it here and there. I remembered hearing about this a long time ago and thinking it was basically going to be FPWR with online....to be generous, this looks like a very gimped version...is it the same developers?

I'll be checking out the demo for this, but I'm excited. I want to like this so desperately. I've been getting that wrestling game itch lately and I'm a sucker for customization.

Yeah, I'll be checking out the demo. My expecations are pretty much bottomed out, though. I didn't care for the GBA Fire Pro game I got at all and all I really want is a new AKI made one.

I've only played an hour or so of the game so far and it feels a little slow. I was hoping for fast pace action. I will say that you can upgrade your character so maybe that will help when you get to higher levels. Plus the moves have to be unlocked. I was able to unlock close to 15 so far but my wrestler still only has the basics at the moment. It seems like whoever wins the most grapples wins the match.

I really got into FPW with Six Man Scramble, and then spent a LOT of time doing battle royale's with D.

I'll try the demo, but yeah this is looking bad.

I just download the demo and it doesn't seem that bad. Yes, you have to unlock just about everything, but it is what it is.

The fighting may not be terribly fast paced, but as a casual brawler, it is a nice little pick up and play type of game. Overall though, I could see someone having fun with it, even if it isn't great "technically".

And maybe it's just me, but seeing my avatar do some of the emotes is kind of comical. Especially the crotch grab.

Also, I probably should note that I've never played any of the Fire Pro Wrestling games, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt. ;)

I would like to add that your computer tag partner is an idiot. I just lost a match because he decided it was a good idea to leave the ring when the ref was at 5 and chase after the other team. This resulted in him getting a butt kicking and being counted out.

I just... ugh. With all the "retro" style games popping up, and HD collections, why couldn't they just do a real Fire Pro game? I mean, fans of Fire Pro would all buy it, and there would at least be appeal by people who haven't played those games with the HUGE amounts of customization involved. They could have sold it on that alone, and imagine online play!

Instead, they make a shitty avatar game? I can't imagine people putting aside their copies of WWE '12 for this garbage, and Spike isn't exactly showing people that they are a company people should pay attention to by rolling this ball of turd out there. Man, the whole situation sucks, and hope is almost gone for an HD Fire Pro game in this lifetime.

Played the trial and got my wrestler to Lvl 7. Upon this, I realized that the game is just too clunky and over-the-top for my liking.

I was holding out hope that Spike had tightened things up a bit with this one after viewing the gameplay demo from last year. It looks as if little to nothing changed in a year's time.

[quote name='dirtyvu']can you wrestle in your normal avatar clothes? I'd love to wear my UCLA stuff for a fight.[/QUOTE]

You can. I've been fighting in my normal clothes for the time being.

I got this for my son today and he loves it. It's all he's been playing since he got home from school. I also got the legend dlc for him, but he says he can't see anything different. What are we looking for exactly and where do we find it?

*sigh*

Back in 1997, I used my high school graduation money to buy a Sega Saturn. I'm not really sure why, it was just the then-current gen system that I didn't own and it came with the 3 free game bundle so I figured I'd at least get to play some VF2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA.

Right before I went off to college, I heard some rumblings about THE BEST professional wrestling game ever called Firepro Wrestling S for the Sega Saturn. The kicker was that it was an import and Saturns are region-locked. So I took the my Saturn down to Starland videogames and discussed the ins and outs of getting my system modded. They could do the work and they had Firepro S in stock. I bought the game and left my system with them for the mod. They even gave me a printed out copy of the Firepro S translation guide. A few days (maybe three) later I went back to the store and picked up my Saturn. A silver switch had been installed on the side of the system. They told me that I should never switch regions while the system was running but other than that, everything would be very simple. I went home (I still had maybe 4 days before I had to go off to college) and spent a very long time renaming every wrestler that was unlocked initially to their english names. Then I started playing the game. It was hard, bitterly hard. I lost matches without understanding what I was doing wrong. I felt disappointment welling up inside me. I had spent a significant percentage of all the money I had in the world on my Saturn + the mod + Firepro S and I couldn't play it. Slowly, over many hours, I started understanding more about the timing and the spacing for striking moves. I got to the point where I could win on the lowest difficulty. And then I started finding primitive templates online where others had scribed how to create various wrestlers in the game. My enjoyment increased and I discovered the depths of the grappling system and the unlimited Create A Wrestler possibilities. I eventually understood that yes, this absolutely was the best wrestling game ever made and it came out at a time when professional wrestling in general was in a brilliant Renaissance. As the years went by, I bought each new Firepro as it was released. The release of the King of Colosseum series prompted me to purchase a Japanese PS2 back in 2003.

tl;dr - Firepro S on the Saturn got me into importing games and into the Sega Saturn and into a whole universe of wrestling that I didn't know about. This looks like a steaming pile of shit.

But if you have kids that like it, more power to you. I guess.

hD0Q2.jpg

It sucks because there are little hints of real honest to goodness FIRE PRO here and there in regards to the fairly deep customization (for an avatar game, anyway). The gameplay is just fucked though. If they are gonna do arcade Fire Pro, then make it like Blazing Tornado. This is just too janky and bouncy. I guess there's some fun to be had at a very base level, but definitely not for 10 bucks. Maybe I'll revisit it when it's on sale for $3.50 or something.

Glad we can finally close the book on this one, at least. Fire Pro is a pretty CRITICAL! (har har) series to me. Super Fire Pro X Premium is what got me interested in emulation, and Fire Pro D is the first (and still only) game I've ever imported.

So bad. This is now by far the worst sequel/follow up I've played in many years. Can't believe spike developed this.

nothing's keeping you guys from playing the old Fire Pro... you guys are crying for no reason. You don't like it, you don't buy. End of story.

I actually like the game. It's nothing like any Fire Pro game (and FPD on Dreamcast is my favorite wrestling game ever) but I found it to be an enjoyable arcade experience. If it wasn't bearing the Fire Pro name, the game probably wouldn't receive as much criticism.

[quote name='dirtyvu']nothing's keeping you guys from playing the old Fire Pro... you guys are crying for no reason.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

Guys, stop saying anything bad about this game right now! In a thread about the game on a forum about games no less! How dare you criticize this masterful experience, clearly crafted with love and care, exceeding all expectations set by the previous installments, gingerly placed from the fingers of Christ himself onto the glorious 360. Let us pray.

[quote name='therealdanhill']:roll:

Guys, stop saying anything bad about this game right now! In a thread about the game on a forum about games no less! How dare you criticize this masterful experience, clearly crafted with love and care, exceeding all expectations set by the previous installments, gingerly placed from the fingers of Christ himself onto the glorious 360. Let us pray.[/QUOTE]

geez. another cry baby. if you don't like it, don't buy it.

[quote name='GUNNM']If you don't like something don't say anything about it. I agree.[/QUOTE]

actually, that's not what I'm advocating. it's that people go to such superlatives that their argument is distorted. there's a wide range between worst in the world and best in the world. It's time for people to broaden their vocabulary (not talking about you, talking about people generally).

like I like Kane's post. he went into detail why he didn't like it.

So, by that logic, you shouldn't be saying anything about what I say because you don't like what I am saying.

Er... Maybe you should have thought that through more bud.

[quote name='GUNNM']If you don't like something don't say anything about it. I agree.[/QUOTE]

dirtyvu gettin' all philomosophical about video game opinions.

[quote name='Brak']dirtyvu gettin' all philomosophical about video game opinions.[/QUOTE]

well, some of us are grownups. I guess it can't be helped that you're not...

[quote name='Matt Young']I actually like the game. It's nothing like any Fire Pro game (and FPD on Dreamcast is my favorite wrestling game ever) but I found it to be an enjoyable arcade experience. If it wasn't bearing the Fire Pro name, the game probably wouldn't receive as much criticism.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying the game. I don't have the bias of going in having played other games in the fire pro series. So with that said, in a sense, I have nothing to compare this too as far as the name is concerned.

[quote name='dirtyvu']nothing's keeping you guys from playing the old Fire Pro... you guys are crying for no reason. You don't like it, you don't buy. End of story.[/QUOTE]

I guess we aren't allowed to voice our opinions because you don't like it.

:roll:

[quote name='Matt Young']If it wasn't bearing the Fire Pro name, the game probably wouldn't receive as much criticism.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding.

Without the Fire Pro title, it would just be seen as a harmless Fire Pro Lite. With the Fire Pro title, it suddenly becomes shit on a stick. I like it enough to consider dropping the 800 MSP, but I still would more support campaigning to get a new true FP for the current gen. The PS2 iteration is great, and adding of online capabilities a current gen creation would have would be spectacular.

[quote name='ced']Ding ding ding.

Without the Fire Pro title, it would just be seen as a harmless Fire Pro Lite. With the Fire Pro title, it suddenly becomes shit on a stick. I like it enough to consider dropping the 800 MSP, but I still would more support campaigning to get a new true FP for the current gen. The PS2 iteration is great, and adding of online capabilities a current gen creation would have would be spectacular.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Without the Fire Pro name then it wouldn't be linked to Fire Pro at all since it doesn't share much mechanically with that series whatsoever. I played the game knowing it wouldn't be like the 2D titles and was fine with the idea of an avatar arcade wrestling game, but from the trial there's issues all over the place with the animations, collision detection, slowdown, and more. It seems like there might be a fun decent wrestling game in there, but it has problems that would be criticized regardless of the name.

[quote name='dirtyvu']well, some of us are grownups. I guess it can't be helped that you're not...[/QUOTE]
That's funny, because I'm certain that most of us here have taken part in or observed a "If you don't like it, don't play it" philosophical debate on video game forums and communities when we were in our early to mid teens. :lol:

Mighty black and white.

Anyone still on the fence about Fire Pro Wrestling might want to check out my review here.

I'm going to run a contest next week and give out a free copy if you don't fee like buying it.

bread's done
Back