Kingdom Hearts HD Collection Announced

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Square Enix is bringing the first Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days to the PS3 in HD as part of a new KH compilation called Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX.

The version of Kingdom Hearts is the Japanese language "Final Mix" version, and the game, along with Chain of Memories, will have trophy support. This latest ReMIX will be out next year in Japan.
No BBS or 2??? :cry: But still pretty cool.

I'm happy to hear that it's KH Final Mix... but otherwise, what a load of crap: CoM sucked (I'm guessing it'll be the Re: CoM, which still sucked) and 358/2 was the most tedious 18 hours before becoming worthwhile. I'll probably get it just for KH though.

I'd much rather get KH 1 & 2 and BbS. Actually, I'd rather get KH3 so they can conclude this clusterfuck of a story.

If that's the case then I will most definitely pass on this and pick up 2.5 when it is released (will probably be some time next year).

I can see SE doing this in preparation for a 2013-2014 KH3 release. The trend nowadays is an HD collection to peak the general population's interest before releasing the current gen sequel.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']People were commenting that the reason it's called 1.5 is that there will be another one called 2.5 that will have 2, Recoded, and BBS.[/QUOTE]

I think we all assumed as much. But what I'm upset about is that the two games accompanying KH1 suck and aren't worth the HD treatment. But with 2.5, I'd buy it day one just for KHII and BbS.

[quote name='antlp89']If that's the case then I will most definitely pass on this and pick up 2.5 when it is released (will probably be some time next year).

I can see SE doing this in preparation for a 2013-2014 KH3 release. The trend nowadays is an HD collection to peak the general population's interest before releasing the current gen sequel.[/QUOTE]

I still wonder if they started on KH3... and if they did, when did they start (after KH2 or BbS)? It seems really hate to release a KH. But whatever the case, if it is coming, I pray it's not a Wii U exclusive (completely out of the blue, like Bayonetta 2 was).

[quote name='Vinny']I think we all assumed as much. But what I'm upset about is that the two games accompanying KH1 suck and aren't worth the HD treatment. But with 2.5, I'd buy it day one just for KHII and BbS.[/QUOTE]There's been an update and KH 358/2 will NOT be part of this collection. There are cut scenes from 358/2 that will be re-made in HD and be included, but not the actual game itself.

[quote name='Vinny']I still wonder if they started on KH3... and if they did, when did they start (after KH2 or BbS)? It seems really hate to release a KH. But whatever the case, if it is coming, I pray it's not a Wii U exclusive (completely out of the blue, like Bayonetta 2 was).[/QUOTE]Now to answer this question. No one knows if they've started to work on KH3. My guess is they haven't though. It's known that the team who works on the main KH titles is working on FF Versus XIII. And who the fuck knows when and if that game will ever see the light of day. Supposedly they're going to announce something about Versus next year. But I wouldn't hold your breath. We probably wont be seeing KH3 till the next console generation.

[quote name='PimpLimp']There's been an update and KH 358/2 will NOT be part of this collection. There are cut scenes from 358/2 that will be re-made in HD and be included, but not the actual game itself.

Now to answer this question. No one knows if they've started to work on KH3. My guess is they haven't though. It's known that the team who works on the main KH titles is working on FF Versus XIII. And who the fuck knows when and if that game will ever see the light of day. Supposedly they're going to announce something about Versus next year. But I wouldn't hold your breath. We probably wont be seeing KH3 till the next console generation.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how I feel about that... is it just going to be the FMVs or the in-game cutscenes as well? The gameplay in 358/2 would benefit greatly from dual analog sticks, but still not sure that would have made the game worth playing. I'll say that even though I didn't like 358/2 very much, the final 2-3 hours of that game were really powerful.

I think Versus XIII is likely going to become the next Duke Nukem Forever.

It's never coming out here, since it's the Final Mix Version of 1. But still, that's a HORRIBLE collection to represent Kingdom Hearts.

Does Disney not care about Kingdom Hearts, or is Square the only company on earth that can grab Disney by the labia and tell them to sit and wait?

I can't believe Square is so adamantly against KH3. And who knows if this collection will ever even release stateside (seeing as how final mix is include, it's pretty doubtful). I swear, I am so confused as to why Disney lets Square drag their license across pavement by sitting on it and doing nothing except the occasional handheld spinoff.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and a console full fledged Pokemon rpg are the two biggest "I know, millions of dollars, whatever, fan demand, yeah I know...we're working on other things...and making that would be REALLY hard and/or time consuming...can't you just play this handheld?" I've ever seen.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Does Disney not care about Kingdom Hearts, or is Square the only company on earth that can grab Disney by the labia and tell them to sit and wait?

I can't believe Square is so adamantly against KH3. And who knows if this collection will ever even release stateside (seeing as how final mix is include, it's pretty doubtful). I swear, I am so confused as to why Disney lets Square drag their license across pavement by sitting on it and doing nothing except the occasional handheld spinoff.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and a console full fledged Pokemon rpg are the two biggest "I know, millions of dollars, whatever, fan demand, yeah I know...we're working on other things...and making that would be REALLY hard and/or time consuming...can't you just play this handheld?" I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that Square hasn't said shit about the FF10 HD Re-release in forever

[quote name='Vinny']I'm happy to hear that it's KH Final Mix... but otherwise, what a load of crap: CoM sucked (I'm guessing it'll be the Re: CoM, which still sucked) and 358/2 was the most tedious 18 hours before becoming worthwhile. I'll probably get it just for KH though.

I'd much rather get KH 1 & 2 and BbS. Actually, I'd rather get KH3 so they can conclude this clusterfuck of a story.[/QUOTE]

agreed they have pretty much shit all over this story to the point i have no idea wtf is going on.its been spread out over too many diff consoles/handhelds and for me the story started dropping with kh2.

would have been excited for this hd release maybe 6 or so years ago.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's never coming out here, since it's the Final Mix Version of 1. But still, that's a HORRIBLE collection to represent Kingdom Hearts.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Drclaw411']Does Disney not care about Kingdom Hearts, or is Square the only company on earth that can grab Disney by the labia and tell them to sit and wait?

Kingdom Hearts 3 and a console full fledged Pokemon rpg are the two biggest "I know, millions of dollars, whatever, fan demand, yeah I know...we're working on other things...and making that would be REALLY hard and/or time consuming...can't you just play this handheld?" I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why including the Final Mix version would make it less likely for them to localize the game. Keep in mind, the differences between the English and FM release are minimal. The dialogue is in English, and the additional scenes have already been voiced using splicing. Meanwhile, the original Japanese release lacked a lot content from the English release, like multiple difficulties, optional boss fights (yes, no Sephiroth), or even the Night on Bald Mountain track during the fight with Chernabog.

If they wanna release FM in English, all they need to do is translate a few lines of subtitle text really -- everything else has already been done. So don't worry, you'll get the game.

As for them not releasing KH3... Well, they need to finish Versus XIII first, and Disney is apparently OK with that. If they weren't they could've taken the franchise away from Square and have one of their own studios turn it into a middling platformer -- would you have preferred that?

NONE of the PS2 HD "Remasters" are worth a cent imo, unless they are actually redone with new textures and the likes. Halo Anniversary on the 360 was a good example of what these so-called HD versions should be, but the rest are just simple upscales that can be done on the PCSX2 emulator, and with better results. I don't know why people buy into this crap, unless their PC is too crappy to run the games on an emulator. The last "HD" remakes I purchased were RE4 and CVX, never again will I be duped into dishing out my $$$ for a stupid upscale. I won't even buy PS2 Classics or PSOne Classics any more because they look 500x better played via emulation on a PC. Quit giving these guys more $ for something you more than likely already purchased. You can do the damn upscaling yourself, no need to pay someone else to stick it on a disc for you. :)

Because playing on a console is much more convenient than playing on a PC.

*cough*

1282039255GloriousPCgaminguberrace.jpg

[quote name='antlp89']Because playing on a console is much more convenient than playing on a PC. [/QUOTE]

Why? I stick the disc in the PC drive and run the emulator. How is that any less convenient? It has nothing to do with PC vs. Console like your little spoiler there, because the only thing I have in my PC is the integrated i5 graphics and I'm strictly a console gamer outside of emulation. Emulation is just as convenient, looks FAR better, and is MUCH cheaper. Facts are facts. There's nothing to dispute.

[quote name='d3adliner']NONE of the PS2 HD "Remasters" are worth a cent imo, unless they are actually redone with new textures and the likes. Halo Anniversary on the 360 was a good example of what these so-called HD versions should be, but the rest are just simple upscales that can be done on the PCSX2 emulator, and with better results. I don't know why people buy into this crap, unless their PC is too crappy to run the games on an emulator. The last "HD" remakes I purchased were RE4 and CVX, never again will I be duped into dishing out my $$$ for a stupid upscale. I won't even buy PS2 Classics or PSOne Classics any more because they look 500x better played via emulation on a PC. Quit giving these guys more $ for something you more than likely already purchased. You can do the damn upscaling yourself, no need to pay someone else to stick it on a disc for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Well it just so happens that Square Enix is going the extra mile with this particular HD collection -- possibly the reason why FFX is taking so long as well. KH1's combat will be reworked to feel more like KH2, and assets will be pulled from future games whenever it makes sense. Sora's KH1 character model came from Re:CoM, for example, so it will now be consistent between the two games. The addition of the 358/2 Days cutscenes is also gonna take a lot of work as they all need to be voiced. Regardless of whether you actually care about that stuff or not, you can hardly call this a quick cash-grab.

This will be playable later this month at Jump Festa in Japan. Expect more information about the game then.

while im excited about these remakes, they just need to get kh3 to us already. damn versus taking all their dev time!

What's that KH game on 3DS? Dream Drop or some crap like that? Anyways, in the end you dive through the letters at the credits or something, and a secret message is revealed, which said "The past will be visited in a completely new number, as well the future" something like that. It was speaking towards KH 1.5 which is already confirmed, and KH3. So just wait for a confirmation on the latter you guys ;)

[quote name='Dahk']while im excited about these remakes, they just need to get kh3 to us already. damn versus taking all their dev time![/QUOTE]

I doubt we'll ever see Versus this generation... they're probably working on moving the game to the next generation of consoles which are probably coming late next year or early 2014. And I can't help but feel that Versus is going to be a clusterfuck of shit given all the delays. Based on what happened from FFXIII to FFXIII-2, I don't trust SE's management to make any competition decisions either.

So we probably won't see KH3 until the end of the next console cycle. The story is so convoluted and tattered, I'm guessing they probably can't figure it out themselves.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']I've been excited about this HD collection since it was announced. I'm more pumped for 2.5 though.[/QUOTE]

Was 1.5 actually announced for NA release? I don't recall hearing anything about it.

[quote name='Vinny']I doubt we'll ever see Versus this generation... they're probably working on moving the game to the next generation of consoles which are probably coming late next year or early 2014. And I can't help but feel that Versus is going to be a clusterfuck of shit given all the delays. Based on what happened from FFXIII to FFXIII-2, I don't trust SE's management to make any competition decisions either.

So we probably won't see KH3 until the end of the next console cycle. The story is so convoluted and tattered, I'm guessing they probably can't figure it out themselves.

Was 1.5 actually announced for NA release? I don't recall hearing anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Not confirmed at all, only announced that it was coming out and everything after that is pure speculation because I haven't read otherwise either.

[quote name='Cromzz']What's that KH game on 3DS? Dream Drop or some crap like that? Anyways, in the end you dive through the letters at the credits or something, and a secret message is revealed, which said "The past will be visited in a completely new number, as well the future" something like that. It was speaking towards KH 1.5 which is already confirmed, and KH3. So just wait for a confirmation on the latter you guys ;)[/QUOTE]

I can pop in my 7 year old PS2 disc, Kingdom Hearts 2, watch the secret ending movie, and see KH3 right there :cry: but the team been wasting time on Versus all this time.

This will be released in Japan on March 14th. I don't know if this has been shared yet, but both games in the collection will also have trophy support.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I can pop in my 7 year old PS2 disc, Kingdom Hearts 2, watch the secret ending movie, and see KH3 right there :cry: but the team been wasting time on Versus all this time.[/QUOTE]

There have been about 4 games that the team has been workin on and said they'd do KH3 when they were done with that game. Then another Final Fantasy needed to be made.

Pretty lame collection setup in my book. I'd rather have the two main games by themselves and the extra side story crap that I don't want to play in their own compilations.

[quote name='Vinny']That's probably for the best because 80% of that game's gameplay was a bore...[/QUOTE]

r u dumba** the game is fun review say it fun and iasay it fun if u dont like kingdom hert of square take ur s*** out ofhere becus this is 4 the fans not the skepitakls.

[quote name='DietPepsi']r u dumba** the game is fun review say it fun and iasay it fun if u dont like kingdom hert of square take ur s*** out ofhere becus this is 4 the fans not the skepitakls.[/QUOTE]

Well that was quick.

I have never played the PS2 KH games, so I would like to have this as I am sure many other fans do as well. I would buy the PS2 versions but that seems kind of pointless when this will come out hopefully in the USA.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have never played the PS2 KH games, so I would like to have this as I am sure many other fans do as well. I would buy the PS2 versions but that seems kind of pointless when this will come out hopefully in the USA.[/QUOTE]Say whaaaaat?!?! So you haven't played KH or KH2? Not only are they the very best games in the series, it's also where most of the story takes place.

I'd suggest getting and playing both of the PS2 games anyways. If these HD collections do end up coming to the states, it still probably wont be for a while. After beating both games, I can almost guarantee you will be looking forward to this even more.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']But do they give trophies for watching them?![/QUOTE]

If you watch the whole movie you unlock a ps3 theme

The first KH game i got was KH2 and i've locked over 250+ hours on it and loved every second. So afterwards I bought KH and KH: COM and I wasn't so pleased so I never really got to beath either one of them. Especially with kingdom hearts re chain of memories and that card battle system *shivers* But since this HD remix is coming out I'm deciding to give them another go, infact already got mine pre-ordered even if import price is a pain in my belly :hot:

P.S KH1.5 will include options for eng/jp subs and dubs :bouncy:

[quote name='KuHLiiDE']If you watch the whole movie you unlock a ps3 theme

The first KH game i got was KH2 and i've locked over 250+ hours on it and loved every second. So afterwards I bought KH and KH: COM and I wasn't so pleased so I never really got to beath either one of them. Especially with kingdom hearts re chain of memories and that card battle system *shivers* But since this HD remix is coming out I'm deciding to give them another go, infact already got mine pre-ordered even if import price is a pain in my belly :hot:

P.S KH1.5 will include options for eng/jp subs and dubs :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Source on the dubs being confirmed?

[quote name='Drclaw411']Source on the dubs being confirmed?[/QUOTE]

yeah nvm about that, new articles from famitsu is stating that they actually changed the english dubs to japanese :/

Here are some changes:
-The First Adventure Told in Beautiful Graphics-
With over 18,000,000 units shipped worldwide, the Kingdom Hearts (here-on KH) series is very popular. The latest instalment is a HD remaster of the early stretch of the story. Of the three titles included in this work, we will now introduce KH Final Mix, which details the very first adventure of protagonist Sora. We will also reveal changes from the original.
UPDATING THE ORIGINAL KH FINAL MIX
+On top of being made HD, some character models and textures have been updated
+The English voicing has been changed to Japanese voicing
+With trophy support there is more to do after clearing the game
+PS3 custom theme made available after clearing the game
+Addition of abilities ‘EXP Zero’, in which you cannot earn EXP, and ‘Combo Master’, in which combos continue even if an attack misses
+Camera controls have been changed to the right stick. R3 button to swing the camera behind to default position
+’Talk’ and some special abilities etc. now executed with only the △ button
+’Summon’, which used to be included in 'Magic', has been added separately to the command menu

Read more: http://kh13.com/news/category/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix#ixzz2GWCIRBsR

[quote name='PimpLimp']Say whaaaaat?!?! So you haven't played KH or KH2? Not only are they the very best games in the series, it's also where most of the story takes place.

I'd suggest getting and playing both of the PS2 games anyways. If these HD collections do end up coming to the states, it still probably wont be for a while. After beating both games, I can almost guarantee you will be looking forward to this even more.[/QUOTE]

Ehhh... I kinda disagree. KH1 isn't very important anymore in the grand scheme of things, and it's also quite rough around the edges (literally and figuratively). It's the ugliest game in the series after the ones on DS, the platforming (which the first game had an abundance of) feels extremely stiff, you're required to use L2/R2 to control the camera which frequently gets caught behind geometry, etc.

If previous games are any indication and they have any intention of releasing this in English, it'll be out around the fall next year. If you've waited an entire decade, you can afford to wait an extra 9 months for the better experience.

[quote name='KuHLiiDE']yeah nvm about that, new articles from famitsu is stating that they actually changed the english dubs to japanese :/

Here are some changes:
-The First Adventure Told in Beautiful Graphics-
With over 18,000,000 units shipped worldwide, the Kingdom Hearts (here-on KH) series is very popular. The latest instalment is a HD remaster of the early stretch of the story. Of the three titles included in this work, we will now introduce KH Final Mix, which details the very first adventure of protagonist Sora. We will also reveal changes from the original.
UPDATING THE ORIGINAL KH FINAL MIX
+On top of being made HD, some character models and textures have been updated
+The English voicing has been changed to Japanese voicing
+With trophy support there is more to do after clearing the game
+PS3 custom theme made available after clearing the game
+Addition of abilities ‘EXP Zero’, in which you cannot earn EXP, and ‘Combo Master’, in which combos continue even if an attack misses
+Camera controls have been changed to the right stick. R3 button to swing the camera behind to default position
+’Talk’ and some special abilities etc. now executed with only the △ button
+’Summon’, which used to be included in 'Magic', has been added separately to the command menu

Read more: http://kh13.com/news/category/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix#ixzz2GWCIRBsR
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some dude on Twitter mistranslated the Famitsu scans as saying they added dual-voice support when it actually said they replaced the original English voices with Japanese. A damn shame too since having English voices in the Final Mix release has been a tradition for the KH series and it's not like the storage capacity is what's stopping them...

Also, those additions are on top of the additions already made to the original Final Mix:
- Beginner Mode (was actually handled really poorly and just loaded your inventory with stat ups -- maybe they changed that)
- Proud Mode (replaces Expert but is actually harder)
- One-Winged Angel keyblade for beating Sephiroth
- Enhanced Gummi Ship levels with highscores and whatnot (still nowhere near as good as KH2, though)
- A revised skill learning order (no matter which weapon you pick at the beginning, you will always have Guard by the time you reach lvl 15, whereas previously you might not get it until lvl 45 or so)
- Some additional skills like Slide Dash (the reason you should pick Sword at the beginning of the game, otherwise you might not get it until level 45)
- Relocation of a Trinity mark in Halloween Town so you can't screw yourself out of 100%ing the game anymore
- Palette-swapped Heartless
- The addition of the Neoshadow Heartless
- New optional story-related boss fight

Of course, that's assuming some of those revisions haven't been re-revised (it'd be nice if they gave Slide Dash the same treatment as Guard, for example). Buuut... that's about it, I think. Might not seem like a whole lot compared to KH2FM, but that's because the original English release already had a ton of content added that the Japanese didn't get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can definitely afford to wait because I would prefer to play the games on my HDTV whereas I can't seem to find a good display option for the PS2, most games look too dark and washed out on my CRT TV so I can barely see what is going on in them at all. I really don't want to play KH this way. I would also prefer to get trophies for the game and have something to show for it. If it comes out in the fall too then there is a good chance of it going on sale around Xmas time.

bread's done
Back