Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor $19 at Amazon

[quote name='Slermy']Third party seller.

Also, Amazon proper and NewEgg had it for $19 last week.[/QUOTE]

Fulfilled by Amazon, though - making it Prime eligible.

I wish there were an achievement guide for this, because I am interested - but don't want to have to spend 90 hours to 1k.

[quote name='Rodster']Thanks OP, snagged a copy. It's gotten mixed reviews (ultra hard game) but supposedly it makes good use of the Kinect. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I hope this is a joke... The game is "hard" because it doesn't work correctly. The reviews aren't mixed at all, it's a certifiably terrible game in every aspect.

[quote name='jayntampa']Fulfilled by Amazon, though - making it Prime eligible.[/QUOTE]

Ah, my mistake.

[quote name='Slowdance']I hope this is a joke... The game is "hard" because it doesn't work correctly. The reviews aren't mixed at all, it's a certifiably terrible game in every aspect.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It would be a hard game if the controls all worked like they should. But they don't, and the Kinect is not precise enough to work in this way. Plus, even though you need the Kinect to do a lot of actions, you still need a controller to move around, so it just becomes more of a pain.

I mean, someone might like it enough for 19 bucks, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If you want a mech game, go buy Armored Core V, it's about the same price.

From what I hear, it is hit or miss. When (if?) Kinect works, it is really cool and immersive. Most of the reviewers seemed to have problems getting Kinect to work though. I wonder about that though, because I have had games work fine, that reviewers complained didn't work. If I didn't have a backlog, I would consider this just for the sheer novelty. I just bought Borderlands 2 and the $19 for this would be better spent on Resident Evil 6.

It's a fun game. If you put in the time to get used to how the game wants you to do the moves, you can do any of the moves consistently.

some tips for getting it to work great:
  • sit in a chair like a computer chair or a kitchen chair. don't sit in a softa.
  • close the curtains. sunlight messes up this game.
  • don't have a coffee table or other objects between you and the Kinect.

here's where a big problem stems from: the tutorial. Capcom made the tutorial really restrictive. meaning, you can't just sit in a cockpit and play with the controls. you have to do the move when the tutorial allows you to do the move. This scenario works fine for a controller. For example, if the screen says press A to jump and you press A before it actually allows you to jump, you automatically assume that, hey, I pressed it too soon. Now I can press A to jump. But when it comes to motion controls, that makes it hard to tell if it's not recognizing your motion or you did the motion too soon.

Another thing is the tutorial doesn't even show you some of the things you have to do such as reloading the ammo when a teammate dies. You have to learn in the middle of a battle!

I will also say that some of the motions in the tutorial instructions are wrong or a little misleading.

You have to be very regimented in your technique and what hand to use. For example, all the instructions for the right hand should be used with the right hand. All the instructions for the left hand should be used for the left hand.

Let's start by getting some nomenclature out of the way. The 12 o'clock position is straight in front of you. 6 o'clock would be right behind you. The cockpit view is where you see all the instrumentation. The viewport view is when you're looking through the viewport. The periscope view is when you're looking through the periscope.

For example, to select what type of ammo you're going to use, you can only use your right hand. To pull the left instrument pod, you have to use your left hand.

I'll start off with the wrong information. In the tutorial, it says to select the heat rounds, you put your hand over the heat rounds button and then press downward. In the viewport viewing screen where the viewport takes up nearly the whole screen, this doesn't work. The best way to do this is to crossover your body. So if you want to press the AP ammo button, use your right hand, crossover, and thrust forward toward the AP ammo button on the left side. To select the heat rounds button, use your left hand, cross over your body and thrust forward toward the heat rounds button on the right side. Alternatively, to select the heat rounds, you can do a thrust your right hand forward. So the tutorial was pretty wrong on this.

Now, you can push the ammo buttons while in cockpit mode instead of viewport mode. I actually think it's easier to select the ammo buttons in cockpit mode but of course, that means switching from viewport mode to cockpit mode, then selecting ammo, then selecting viewport mode again. So there's the debate between the more imprecise shorter method or the more-steps-but-easier-to-do method.

The instrument pods on the right and left are probably the trickiest controls. To pull the right pod out toward you, you reach out at 2 o'clock (imagine that 12 o'clock is straight in front of you) and then you swing your arm out wide toward 3 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 3 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 2 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 2 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back and you're lowering your right arm, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 3 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

With the pod pull toward you, you can activate the light but raising your right hand to the switch as if you're doing a "hail, Hitler" pose and then drop your arm. To turn off the light, raise your arm back to the "hail, Hitler pose. To vent the cockpit, you reach toward the handle, grab it and then put your hand straight down. To activate the self-destruct, take your right hand and cross over your body to get to the self-destruct switch and push forward.

The pod on the left is just the mirror of the pod on the right. So to pull it out, put your left hand out to about 10 o'clock and then pull your left hand outward toward 9 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 9 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 10 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 10 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 9 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

For the periscope, raise your right hand straight up as if you want to answer a question in school. Don't be swinging your arm forward as you're raising your hand as a forward motion can be interpreted as you wanting to adjust the viewport screen.

To open the viewport, you hold your right arm horizontally forward, wait until the hand grabs the hand and then raise it to open or lower it to close it. This is why the periscope motion can be confused if you push your arm forward as you're raising your hand as the forward motion is for the viewport.

You can go from the periscope mode directly to the viewport mode. So if you're in periscope mode, just push both arms forward to switch to viewport mode. Similarly, to go from viewport mode to periscope mode, raise your right hand straight up. You do not have to go from viewport to cockpit to periscope nor do you have to go from periscope to cockpit to viewport.

When you start a mission, you're in the cockpit mode. To be able to see where you're going to go, you have to switch to viewport mode by pushing both arms forward. When you hold your arms forward, do not elevate your arms too high. If you switch to viewport and grab and pull the viewport lid closed, then you are raising your arms too high. This is dependent on the height of your Kinect as well. My Kinect is high (above the TV). When I hold my arms forward horizontally such that my arms are parallel to the floor, I can trigger closure of the viewport lid. If I hold my arms forward lower such that the it's below horizontal, it's much more reliable for going to viewport mode.

If your hand is automatically on the grab handle for the viewport, raise it up to take it off the handle. If you pull it down, you'll close the viewport which is a problem I notice a lot of reviewers having.

The thing with the controls is that you can't be sloppy with your arm motions and you have to use the correct hand for the correct motion. Do not panic in the fog of war! Be deliberate in all your motions.

Wow, great writeup dirtyvu.

I still contend that even if you can condition yourself to control the mech in this way... is it fun? It's definitely not immersive, which is what I'm assuming they were going for.

I am waiting for this to drop below $10 for the same reason I picked up Neverdead for $7 from the Microsoft sale. I am a sucker for a trainwreck.

[quote name='dirtyvu']It's a fun game. If you put in the time to get used to how the game wants you to do the moves, you can do any of the moves consistently.

some tips for getting it to work great:
  • sit in a chair like a computer chair or a kitchen chair. don't sit in a softa.
  • close the curtains. sunlight messes up this game.

here's where a big problem stems from: the tutorial. Capcom made the tutorial really restrictive. meaning, you can't just sit in a cockpit and play with the controls. you have to do the move when the tutorial allows you to do the move. This scenario works fine for a controller. For example, if the screen says press A to jump and you press A before it actually allows you to jump, you automatically assume that, hey, I pressed it too soon. Now I can press A to jump. But when it comes to motion controls, that makes it hard to tell if it's not recognizing your motion or you did the motion too soon.

Another thing is the tutorial doesn't even show you some of the things you have to do such as reloading the ammo when a teammate dies. You have to learn in the middle of a battle!

I will also say that some of the motions in the tutorial instructions are wrong or a little misleading.

You have to be very regimented in your technique and what hand to use. For example, all the instructions for the right hand should be used with the right hand. All the instructions for the left hand should be used for the left hand.

Let's start by getting some nomenclature out of the way. The 12 o'clock position is straight in front of you. 6 o'clock would be right behind you. The cockpit view is where you see all the instrumentation. The viewport view is when you're looking through the viewport. The periscope view is when you're looking through the periscope.

For example, to select what type of ammo you're going to use, you can only use your right hand. To pull the left instrument pod, you have to use your left hand.

I'll start off with the wrong information. In the tutorial, it says to select the heat rounds, you put your hand over the heat rounds button and then press downward. In the viewport viewing screen where the viewport takes up nearly the whole screen, this doesn't work. The best way to do this is to crossover your body. So if you want to press the AP ammo button, use your right hand, crossover, and thrust forward toward the AP ammo button on the left side. To select the heat rounds button, use your left hand, cross over your body and thrust forward toward the heat rounds button on the right side. Alternatively, to select the heat rounds, you can do a thrust your right hand forward. So the tutorial was pretty wrong on this.

Now, you can push the ammo buttons while in cockpit mode instead of viewport mode. I actually think it's easier to select the ammo buttons in cockpit mode but of course, that means switching from viewport mode to cockpit mode, then selecting ammo, then selecting viewport mode again. So there's the debate between the more imprecise shorter method or the more-steps-but-easier-to-do method.

The instrument pods on the right and left are probably the trickiest controls. To pull the right pod out toward you, you reach out at 2 o'clock (imagine that 12 o'clock is straight in front of you) and then you swing your arm out wide toward 3 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 3 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 2 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 2 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back and you're lowering your right arm, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 3 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

With the pod pull toward you, you can activate the light but raising your right hand to the switch as if you're doing a "hail, Hitler" pose and then drop your arm. To turn off the light, raise your arm back to the "hail, Hitler pose. To vent the cockpit, you reach toward the handle, grab it and then put your hand straight down. To activate the self-destruct, take your right hand and cross over your body to get to the self-destruct switch and push forward.

The pod on the left is just the mirror of the pod on the right. So to pull it out, put your left hand out to about 10 o'clock and then pull your left hand outward toward 9 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 9 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 10 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 10 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 9 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

For the periscope, raise your right hand straight up as if you want to answer a question in school. Don't be swinging your arm forward as you're raising your hand as a forward motion can be interpreted as you wanting to adjust the viewport screen.

To open the viewport, you hold your right arm horizontally forward, wait until the hand grabs the hand and then raise it to open or lower it to close it. This is why the periscope motion can be confused if you push your arm forward as you're raising your hand as the forward motion is for the viewport.

You can go from the periscope mode directly to the viewport mode. So if you're in periscope mode, just push both arms forward to switch to viewport mode. Similarly, to go from viewport mode to periscope mode, raise your right hand straight up. You do not have to go from viewport to cockpit to periscope nor do you have to go from periscope to cockpit to viewport.

When you start a mission, you're in the cockpit mode. To be able to see where you're going to go, you have to switch to viewport mode by pushing both arms forward. When you hold your arms forward, do not elevate your arms too high. If you switch to viewport and grab and pull the viewport lid closed, then you are raising your arms too high. This is dependent on the height of your Kinect as well. My Kinect is high (above the TV). When I hold my arms forward horizontally such that my arms are parallel to the floor, I can trigger closure of the viewport lid. If I hold my arms forward lower such that the it's below horizontal, it's much more reliable for going to viewport mode.

If your hand is automatically on the grab handle for the viewport, raise it up to take it off the handle. If you pull it down, you'll close the viewport which is a problem I notice a lot of reviewers having.

The thing with the controls is that you can't be sloppy with your arm motions and you have to use the correct hand for the correct motion. Do not panic in the fog of war! Be deliberate in all your motions.[/QUOTE]

Rofl. Well, that all sounds worth it to make a terrible game kinda work almost.

here are the mission videos I made of the game. they're first time run-throughs so you'll see me dying a lot because they designed the levels such that there's lots of ways for the enemy to hit you before you can see or react to them. but it's heavily scripted so once you know where the enemy is, you'll know in the future where the enemy is. I'm currently going through the levels and redoing them to get the no casualties achievements. I didn't make perfect run videos because I don't have much time to game so I'm not good enough for a perfect run and because I hate editing video and stopping a mission to restart if something goes wrong. I just want to hit record, play the level, and upload.

As you'll see, as I get toward the end of the game, since I'm learning more and more about the controls over time, I get better. Except for the final level which did spaz out on me for a couple scenes. The only thing I could think of was it was a hot day and I had been gaming the whole day. But for the most part, it worked fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h4q4VhasvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQUREo_KyPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JhJFwc1z0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxOf6Rvs18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6uDSBBgyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysZdRIaNw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVl3vNJwLXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-fm_1ilck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsLIpnXD4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQous-0-pYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcPUQ6IweY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlh1ed4dpOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JC5Xb7ziLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oq9Pn111S4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYqENWgElU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPkDty_xes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sf6rZJvRHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6CO134vgvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mo8PqiYQwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycXKmzamHRU

I finished off the game so if you go to my channel, you can see the rest.

oh, forgot to mention this in this post... since a lot of the action is heavily scripted, you have to pay a lot of attention to the tiny tiny subtitles on the screen. not easy when you're sitting 6 feet away from the TV and easily missed in the fog of war. so for example in the level with the exploding bridge. the guy told me to pause or else I'd get blown up but I didn't hear him with all the shelling and the subtitles were so small. In the Youtube video, they're easy to read because the PC monitor is usually a foot from your face. But imagine sitting back 6 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fujishig']Wow, great writeup dirtyvu.

I still contend that even if you can condition yourself to control the mech in this way... is it fun? It's definitely not immersive, which is what I'm assuming they were going for.[/QUOTE]

of course it's fun.

heck, back in the day, I spent the $5/play-the-whole-day at the arcade to learn Street Fighter combos and moves. I'd do 50 fireballs over and over to get that motion down consistently so I could fight against the big boys. I'd do dragon punches over and over until it became second-hand. When Street Fighter II first was out, people where button mashing. People don't realize how much they've loosened up the motions in Street Fighter over time to make it easier to do some of these moves so that they could bring in more gamers. Nowadays, Street Fighter practically let's you do any motion to pull off a combo.

so I know discipline in getting the game mechanics right.

But the point is, to do great at any game, you have to practice how to play the game. When I walked into my first COD game, I played it like Halo. I had to learn to use the gun sights. I had to learn the sprint.

I'm not saying this was the greatest game ever. But it didn't deserve the criticism it got. I would've given it a 7 or 8 out of 10 because it's missing online versus. There's online co-op but because the levels are so scripted, you can only play them so much before you've memorized all the enemy locations and tactics. They did ratchet up the difficulty so sometimes even though you know where they are, it's still hard to kill them before they kill you.

Wow at the ability of people to do mental gymnastics to make a broken game sound worth playing. Even if the Kinect was not garbage and the controls worked the game is lame. Waiting multiple minutes waiting for one mech to shoot, then next mission? The reviews were hilarious.

[quote name='Todd33']Wow at the ability of people to do mental gymnastics to make a broken game sound worth playing. Even if the Kinect was not garbage and the controls worked the game is lame. Waiting multiple minutes waiting for one mech to shoot, then next mission? The reviews were hilarious.[/QUOTE]

it's not mental gymnastics.

you're the one who has absolutely no interest in whether this game is any good and spending the effort to criticize it with no basis. but the adage is true. haters gonna hate.

[quote name='dirtyvu']it's not mental gymnastics.

you're the one who has absolutely no interest in whether this game is any good and spending the effort to criticize it with no basis. but the adage is true. haters gonna hate.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, you wrote one of the longest posts I've ever seen on here on what you need to do to make this game playable.

Not to discourage anyone in particular, but this game is terrible. I bought it for $18 clearance at a BBY about a month after its release (that should say something right there) out of morbid curiosity, like I imagine some of you are thinking right now and it's not even worth the time and effort. Weirdly enough, I had minimal problems with the Kinect stuff but the underlying game is terrible. I couldn't even make it past the first level. It's not clear what they want you to do and as you're figuring it out, you'll die and die and die. It seemed like trial-and-error was the only strategy. The enemies are distant dots pelting you with uncanny accuracy. The only way to accurately shoot them back is to stand completely still and zoom in, but when you stop moving you get wrecked from every direction and did I mention whenever you get shot you get backed out of your zoom ala sniping in earlier Halo. It also seems like you can only take 2-3 shots before your main view window shatters, requiring you to lower a metal plate which means you have to aim through the periscope. It just all added up to an incredibly unfun experience that I was happy to end. It's just not worth it, especially now when new good games are actually coming out. With all that said if you're still curious to try it, you can trade it back into BBY so it's almost no risk.

I wrote it because it's hypocritical for a game like Street Fighter to demand that you do a motion correctly in order to pull off a move. But in a game like Steel Battalion, it's making the game too hard?

I watched gameplay videos from guys like Evan Narcisse who are flailing and then saying it's the Kinect's fault for not interpreting his intentions. Well, duh, the Kinect can't read your mind. Yes, there could be a lot better ways of doing some of the motions. For example, on the snow levels, the viewport fogs up and you're supposed to wipe it off with your arm. But I could never get it to work right so it's the motion I avoid (luckily, the only one).

Within any game's framework, you have play within any game's design. Like you can't do a triple jump in a platforming game but you can do a double jump. Do people complain that you can't do a triple jump? No, of course not. That's the way the game was designed.

Now, it's perfectly fine to not to want to learn a game's nuances. If you don't want to learn how to play Starcraft II, that's totally your perogative. But you don't see a COD player go into a Starcraft II forum and say, this game sucks. Why can't I do this? What is this weird thing here? But yet a lot of Kinect haters who have never really played with a Kinect except at a store like Best Buy which didn't calibrate the device, find a need to go into a Kinect thread and vomit hate.

The biggest issue I had with the reviewers was that they didn't give the game to their usual Kinect reviewers. They gave it to the guys that already don't like Kinect. It's like giving a puzzle game to a COD player. And the reason a lot of gaming sites did that was because this game was supposed to be the game that proved to the hardcore gamer that you could do a hardcore Kinect game and that this game could convert a hardcore gamer. However, the typical hardcore gamer is pretty set in his ways. Take him out of his environment, and he resists and tries to prove that hey, it doesn't work and thus is broken. Just like trying to get a kid to like vegetables. He'll wince, take nibbles, go through his vomit motions, and say that vegetables suck.

Take a game like Mass Effect 3. The voice commands are rock solid. You don't have to pause the game and go through nested menus to get things done. You can keep the action going. But most reviewers glanced over how it worked but went back to their traditional ways of playing it. Even compensating by saying that hey, pausing the game gives you time to relax, analyze the situation, etc. Well, in a real-world fight, you can't just hit the pause button and think what you're going to do.

Again, I'm not saying this game is perfect. Lots of things could be improved upon, but it didn't deserve the vitriol it got.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I wrote it because it's hypocritical for a game like Street Fighter to demand that you do a motion correctly in order to pull off a move. But in a game like Steel Battalion, it's making the game too hard?

I watched gameplay videos from guys like Evan Narcisse who are flailing and then saying it's the Kinect's fault for not interpreting his intentions. Well, duh, the Kinect can't read your mind. Yes, there could be a lot better ways of doing some of the motions. For example, on the snow levels, the viewport fogs up and you're supposed to wipe it off with your arm. But I could never get it to work right so it's the motion I avoid (luckily, the only one).

Within any game's framework, you have play within any game's design. Like you can't do a triple jump in a platforming game but you can do a double jump. Do people complain that you can't do a triple jump? No, of course not. That's the way the game was designed.

Now, it's perfectly fine to not to want to learn a game's nuances. If you don't want to learn how to play Starcraft II, that's totally your perogative. But you don't see a COD player go into a Starcraft II forum and say, this game sucks. Why can't I do this? What is this weird thing here? But yet a lot of Kinect haters who have never really played with a Kinect except at a store like Best Buy which didn't calibrate the device, find a need to go into a Kinect thread and vomit hate.

The biggest issue I had with the reviewers was that they didn't give the game to their usual Kinect reviewers. They gave it to the guys that already don't like Kinect. It's like giving a puzzle game to a COD player. And the reason a lot of gaming sites did that was because this game was supposed to be the game that proved to the hardcore gamer that you could do a hardcore Kinect game and that this game could convert a hardcore gamer. However, the typical hardcore gamer is pretty set in his ways. Take him out of his environment, and he resists and tries to prove that hey, it doesn't work and thus is broken. Just like trying to get a kid to like vegetables. He'll wince, take nibbles, go through his vomit motions, and say that vegetables suck.

Take a game like Mass Effect 3. The voice commands are rock solid. You don't have to pause the game and go through nested menus to get things done. You can keep the action going. But most reviewers glanced over how it worked but went back to their traditional ways of playing it. Even compensating by saying that hey, pausing the game gives you time to relax, analyze the situation, etc. Well, in a real-world fight, you can't just hit the pause button and think what you're going to do.

Again, I'm not saying this game is perfect. Lots of things could be improved upon, but it didn't deserve the vitriol it got.[/QUOTE]

Okay we get it. You liked the game and Kinect. Good for you. No one can take that away from you.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I wrote it because it's hypocritical for a game like Street Fighter to demand that you do a motion correctly in order to pull off a move. But in a game like Steel Battalion, it's making the game too hard?

Again, I'm not saying this game is perfect. Lots of things could be improved upon, but it didn't deserve the vitriol it got.[/QUOTE]

Okay, there's quite a bit of difference between what you typed out to make Steel Battalion work and those other games.

I mean you're comparing a fireball in Street Fighter to:

And that's just to select between different types of ammo, not to perform some 20 hit master combo.

I for one appreciate this guy taking the time to explain the nuances of this game. For what it's worth, it made me interested in at least giving it a try some day. (Not until there's another price drop, though.)

[quote name='dirtyvu']Take a game like Mass Effect 3. The voice commands are rock solid.[/QUOTE]

I loved giving voice commands, and I think that should be used in more squad-based games, but I wouldn't call ME3's rock solid. Kinect recognized what I was saying about 85% of the time. Pulling up the menu worked flawlessly every time, but in the end I decided I liked the continuous action better, despite having to repeat myself at times.

[quote name='morrodox']I for one appreciate this guy taking the time to explain the nuances of this game. [/QUOTE]

Certainly it is an effort that is admirable, but what it tells you is how badly the game was designed that he had to come up with entirely different motions than the ones that the game tells you to use.

[quote name='Slermy']Third party seller.

Also, Amazon proper and NewEgg had it for $19 last week.[/QUOTE]

Shipped by Amazon.

[quote name='tukai']It's still $19 too high. Once it drops another $19 and they offer a $10 gamer credit, I'll bite.[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. :)

Anyone interested in this game should watch the Xplay video review to fully understand how the mechanics of this game work.

I also appreciate the lengthy explanations, and I'll try it when I play this game again (I did pick it up for full price when it first came out). But comparing the difficulty of controlling a mech in this game to the complexities of Street Fighter is insane. If a game doesn't control well or intuitively, then that's a mark against the game. I'm sure a lot of reviewers didn't have the right setup to play this game and gave up too early, but they're probably more hardcore than the vast majority of game players, so I don't mind those reviews. If you need the perfect room and the perfect lighting, and then you have to improvise movements and go against the in-game instructions just to control the game, then the game has a control problem.

Plus, the game is hard even without the control problems, so it makes it even more frustrating.

a fireball or dragon punch is a simple circular motion with a button press. but tons of people can't pull it off when they really need to. and that's the issue with Steel Battalion for a lot of people. if you can pull off a dragon punch 85% of the time in SF, you just chalk it up to well, I need to practice more. but if you can pull off a motion in SB 85% of the time, well, it's a failure of the game.

just because I wrote a lot doesn't mean it's hard to do the move. I just like to be precise with what I say. like how hard is it to do a "hail, Hitler" motion? the critics say that you should do a wrist flick to turn off the light. but the Kinect on the Xbox in this game can't do that. so it's a game design limitation.

yes, the SB game is hard even if it was strictly a controller game. It would've been nice if they had difficulty levels like COD or Halo or any other shooter has.

yes, the tutorial in SB definitely needs to be reworked. but it's not the only tutorial out there with mistakes. take Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. for one of the moves, the move guide is a little off. If you try to pull it off like the diagram, you'll miss half the time. A slight tweak of the motion, and you get the move 85% of the time.

hey, if you ever want to do the co-op missions, let me know. I've got a group of friends on my list that play this game a lot more than me. They'll help you out a lot. I'm not a good player (as the videos showing all my deaths will show). But they helped me get all the unlocks.

[quote name='psunami']Certainly it is an effort that is admirable, but what it tells you is how badly the game was designed that he had to come up with entirely different motions than the ones that the game tells you to use.[/QUOTE]

let's get away from the exaggerations. they're not entirely different motions. it's just that you have to be regimented. people want it to feel organic. in real life with a real control panel, you reach high toward a button. You know that they're reaching for a button because you see them push a button. Well, if you suddenly remove that control panel and look at someone doing the motion, are they pulling down a periscope or are they pushing a high button or are they trying to open a vent? there's so much interpretation with just raising your arm.

so the designers made it so that you had to do a very specific motion so that it could differentiate between all those motions. yeah, it would be nice to have it more organic but that would open it up for interpretation. And watching the reviewers play it, every reviewer does the motion differently. which means it's a failure of the tutorial.

it would've helped the tutorial if they used a 3D model of a person doing the motion. instead, you had 2D images floating across the screen to indicate a gesture.

Should have just made it a controller based game with some optional Kinect controls for those that want it. As it is, CAPCOM would have to pay me to play this piece of software.

bread's done
Back