CAGcast #297: Shipwreck Dreams of Borderlands

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy attends Tokyo Game Show 2012, everyone loves Borderlands 2, nobody loves the Wii U, and Wombat dislikes moving his finger twice.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]206[/podcast]
Download - 1 hours 29 minutes, 54MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Diamond Girl ( DJ Gina Turner Bootleg ) - SI Football Phone Commercial

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay my borderlands loot chest from amazon just showed up an hour ago! Classic.
Its like no one can hear wombat during the first part of the show...on purpose, tech glitch?

Cool, will make sure my phone gets this as I'm off to bed. Loving the bit of my pc copy of borderlands i've played so far.

For anyone watching the Football Phone commercial, be sure to look out for a young Christopher Walken at 0:11 in.

@CheapyD

What do you mean there weren't many booth babes at this year's Tokyo Gaming Show? Based on the picture published in today's WSJ; you must've been in the wrong part of the show or missed the Gree booth entirely:
MK-BX364_JGAMES_F_20120920172640.jpg

[quote name='Curufinwe']Mouse and keyboard is definitely the way to go for first person shooters on the PC. And maybe some third person shooters, too.[/QUOTE]

When I'm not playing against other people and I'm playing a game that I'm also playing on 360, it just seems easier to play with a controller. The auto-lock seems even more pronounced on the PC version.

[quote name='BetaDemo']@CheapyD

What do you mean there weren't many booth babes at this year's Tokyo Gaming Show? Based on the picture published in today's WSJ; you must've been in the wrong part of the show or missed the Gree booth entirely:
MK-BX364_JGAMES_F_20120920172640.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, you could use that line-up to level a painting.

This is for Cheapy, check out The Man from Nowhere on Netflix streaming. Best martial arts movie in a long time. I challenge you not to cry. I think you will really like this movie.

Show Notes

2:23 Tokoyo Game Show
4:15 Need For Speed: Most Wanted
6:15 Medal of Honor
9:30 Earth Defense Force 4
12:00 Unfinished Swan
15:30 New slimmer PS3 & PS3 pricing
22:00 SquareEnix (Hitman, Tomb Raider)
23:00 Razor gaming laptop/handheld
24:00 Watch This
24:00 Jiro Dreams of Sushi
27:30 Raid the Redemption
29:00 Headhunters
30:30 Show Feedback
35:15 Borderlands 2
46:45 Joe Danger 2
47:15 Torchlight II
48:00 Realms of Ancient War, Little Big Planet 2
49:15 Indie Royale, Bunny Must Die
51:30 Fearmaster Controller
55:00 NBA2k
57:30 Bioware founders retiring
1:00:15 NBA Baller Beats
1:02:30 WiiU press conference
1:14:00 Push Mow
1:15:00 Cagbag
1:15:00 iPhone 5
1:21:00 WiiU
1:24:00 PSN redesign?
1:25:00 FitBit upgrades

I don't own any Wii Motion Plus controllers or adapters but that makes no difference to me in terms of buying a Wii U. If I buy a Wii U I would buy it to play Wii U games with the the Wii U tablet controller.

The Wii, the PS3, the 360, the GC, the Xbox and PS2 also only came with one controller in the box. And PS2 controllers and Xbox controllers didn't work on the new platforms, so I had to purchase a second controller to play local multiplayer. That wasn't a big deal to me, either.

I don't think Google will be in a hurry to bail iOS 6 users out by releasing a proper Maps app, since it gives Android phones a big new selling point. But I won't be upgrading from iOS 5 on my 4S until they do, so I hope I'm wrong about that.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

[quote name='Curufinwe']I don't own any Wii Motion Plus controllers or adapters but that makes no difference to me in terms of buying a Wii U. If I buy a Wii U I would buy it to play Wii U games with the the Wii U tablet controller.

The Wii, the PS3, the 360, the GC, the Xbox and PS2 also only came with one controller in the box. And PS2 controllers and Xbox controllers didn't work on the new platforms, so I had to purchase a second controller to play local multiplayer. That wasn't a big deal to me, either.

I don't think Google will be in a hurry to bail iOS 6 users out by releasing a proper Maps app, since it gives Android phones a big new selling point. But I won't be upgrading from iOS 5 on my 4S until they do, so I hope I'm wrong about that.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand how many Wii U games use Wiimotes. If you are playing a multiplayer game, Wiimotes are involved.

I understand that to play local multiplayer you need to get a second controller, just like with every other system for the past 12 years.

I don't understand why you guys think that is a big deal, or why Nintendo needs to pack in extra controllers when they didn't do that with the Wii or the GC.

[quote name='shipwreck']I don't think you understand how many Wii U games use Wiimotes. If you are playing a multiplayer game, Wiimotes are involved.[/QUOTE]

All multiplayer games require a second controller and the only system that comes with two controllers is the $400 Super Elite Xbox 360. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Limi..._5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1348255678&sr=1-5

Sony used to make a Move Bundle too, but I think they've sort of just given up on the Move.

The one really nice thing I like about the Wii U is that the old controllers are forwards compatible. With the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 I had to buy all new controllers, but at least with the Wii U I already have some secondary controllers that will work.

So now when kids get their new Wii U, their parents don't have to buy a bunch of new controllers. They get the GamePad that comes with it along with all of their old stuff that still works. I would have liked to see a second controller with the Wii U too, but it's really not necessary for single player games.

[quote name='shipwreck']When I'm not playing against other people and I'm playing a game that I'm also playing on 360, it just seems easier to play with a controller. The auto-lock seems even more pronounced on the PC version.[/QUOTE]

You play Borderlands 2 on PC with auto-aim on? Maybe that's why you don't appreciate the PC controls.

[quote name='Curufinwe']

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/[/QUOTE]

that's what I thought too. They all acted like the WiiU doesn't come with a controller at all. I am sure that the WiiU games you buy will work with the WiiU controller.

There will be uses for the Wii motion controller but it is just multiple players. So yeah, that point of "the Wii U really cost $50" is just dumb (sorry)

CheapyD you should probably wait until Tai can read at a 5th grade level or something before he should start playing video games more seriously. Besides a Young Justice game is coming out next year.

I honestly think the WiiU will be pretty great! I know here in Germany I wont get the use of all the features the USA will have.... But it has a great backlog from the wii of games that I have not yet played (never had a wii ;-)) plus unique titles such as ZombiU, pikmin, mario and future ones too which you don't get on other consoles.

[quote name='Sashka']You play Borderlands 2 on PC with auto-aim on? Maybe that's why you don't appreciate the PC controls.[/QUOTE]

I played m/kb without aim assist and then sswitched to controller with aim assist. I'm not competing in eSports here, I'm playing a game for my own enjoyment.

Cheapy: the reason you would stop by the Square Enix booth at TGS and check out new games is because you have thousands of twitter followers, site visitors, and podcast listeners who can't make it to Tokyo and who want information about these games. I would have thought that was obvious.

I think people forget that the Wii only came with one controller and you had to pay $40 to play Wii Sports Tennis multiplayer. And that was the Wii's killer app.

By comparison the Wii U is in a far better position for local multiplayer because, even if Motion Plus is required, a lot of Wii U purchasers will already have the necessary equipment. There's also the fact that online multiplayer should be a lot better on the Wii U, even if it's not up to PS360 standards.

There really was no reason to expect the Wii U to come with anything but the tablet controller, and since it will sell out for months until Nintendo can get the supply up packing in extra equipment would have just cost them money unnecessarily.

[quote name='shogunieyasu']Cheapy: the reason you would stop by the Square Enix booth at TGS and check out new games is because you have thousands of twitter followers, site visitors, and podcast listeners who can't make it to Tokyo and who want information about these games. I would have thought that was obvious.[/QUOTE]
That's CheapyD for you.He lazily does stuff.

I wonder if knock off Wiimotes work on the WiiU.

If Nintendo included a wiimote with the Wii U then the complaint would be why should we have to pay for another wiimote when we already have one. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Hey Ship,

Are you editing using a Mac (with OSX 10.6.8 or later, 64 bit processor)? You may be able to save your footage using Motion 5 available on the OSX App Store for $49.99 (less than the $200 mentioned during the CAGcast). It has keying effects and also allows you to resize/move your footage (among many other special effects features). Can edit within Motion, drop in footage behind the keyed footage and export your files as Quick times then drop those into iMovie. Just a possible solution.

[quote name='Yamato']For anyone watching the Football Phone commercial, be sure to look out for a young Christopher Walken at 0:11 in.[/QUOTE]
That's a woman at 11 seconds in. I don't see any Walkens in there. in 1990 Chris Walken would have been a 'young' 47.

According to Don Dodge, Developer Advocate for Google, Apple has not passed a new google maps that they attempted to push onto iOS-6.

You be in dis game.

It's nice they were able to get Charles Barkley finally, hopefully they add the '93 Suns in the next game.

I'm looking forward to the BL2 talk that will come. This is the first time that I've been playing a game like this right after launch. (Only ever have played WoW xpacs and then TOR directly at launch.) I'm playing Zer0 with my friends, and he is awesome. But I knew he would be, since I loved being the sniper in BL1 as well.

The end clip about the SI football phone was funny. I wonder if, in the future, the football-loving majority will become the minority, and that kind of stuff won't sell easily. And the tech stuff will be more mainstream. I guess it's already happening.

Great show, loved the Borderlands 2 talk. Looking forward to more Borderlands 2 talk as you all get to play more.

Shipwreck might go collecting nuts. Because I think a lot of zones have lost echo recorders and vault images hidden and you get Badass points for finding a full set per area.

[quote name='S0LIDARITY']That's a woman at 11 seconds in. I don't see any Walkens in there. in 1990 Chris Walken would have been a 'young' 47.
[/QUOTE]

I was joking.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']I liked how the one guy asked a nice little question about the PSN store and Cheapy jumped his shit. PSN store remodeling? fuck THAT IS WHY SONY IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.[/QUOTE]

by now you should know that Cheapy doesn't answer questions, he uses them as soapboxes.

[quote name='Yamato']I was joking.[/QUOTE]
Woops. I got my hopes up to see a young Christopher Walken in a classic low-budget commercial.

I think I'm gonna have to agree with Shipwreck on MK vs. DC not being appropriate for Tai (although I wasn't much older when I played Mortal Kombat for the first time). It's a T-rated game, but fatalities are still there. I dunno how he'd react to Batman getting electrocuted to death by Raiden.

Still, I think Cheapy would enjoy the story mode.

Been playing Blands 2 since Tuesday and NOT loving it! Plays like a product, not a game. Tried to simply do better than the first, which I hate in games. The whole damn thing plays like DLC to the first game.

On a side note, can't wait for BioShock Infinite and Halo 4. Games that are doing something different with the IP.

bread's done
Back