Testing the waters

Rasen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm not making any concrete offers, but I've decided I need to start cleaning up my old memories (read: toys), and I'm curious about if there's any interest in them. At this point, I'm actually less concerned about money, and more about them finding a good home. (Of course, nothing says dedicated collector like fistfuls of cash...^_^) And of course, splitting up a collection hurts me in my special place.

I've got some classic Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe (the Ninja force guys), Dino Riders, Legos (Frost Planet, or something). Do those tickle anyone's fancy?

Edit:
I've uploaded some pictures to an album:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8393

I wish I could take the time to list them, but just doing that kinda hurts if you know what I mean. Hopefully people can spot some hidden gems in there. It's a bit of a mess, but I can guarantee that the toys are in as good condition as I got them in. (So if I got them new, new-ish. If I picked them up abandoned, or got them as a hand-me-down, there it is.)

Edit:
Honestly, I don't have specific prices in mind. That's why I titled the thread as "testing the waters."

Ideally, I'd like to send them off as a collection. (i.e., all the dino-riders to one person) I'm not sure what a fair value would be, and my only sense of information comes from looking at eBay.

If I KNEW they were going to someone who would value them, all I'd ask for is shipping costs. But as it is, all I can currently judge by is how much someone is willing to offer, as that gives me an idea of whether or not someone will just turn around and eBay them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rasen']I'm not making any concrete offers, but I've decided I need to start cleaning up my old memories (read: toys), and I'm curious about if there's any interest in them. At this point, I'm actually less concerned about money, and more about them finding a good home. (Of course, nothing says dedicated collector like fistfuls of cash...^_^) And of course, splitting up a collection hurts me in my special place.

I've got some classic Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe (the Ninja force guys), Dino Riders, Legos (Frost Planet, or something). Do those tickle anyone's fancy?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you have (Pics would be nice) and what's included. Definitely interested in LEGOS/Dino Riders/TFs and maybe the others.

With so many dedicated collector sites out there, I'd think there would be a better place to try and get rid of them.

Thanks for making my inner-7 yr old giddy when I googled Dino Riders though.

If you have T-Rex or Diplodocus Dino-Riders complete (no box necessary) I'd be interested.

Also, what Transformers do you have?

I have my Jetfire/Skyfire, Perceptor and Cliffjumper from my TF's from when I was a kid sitting near my computer now. They're about the only toys I have left from then just about that my maternal grandmom didn't give/throw away.:roll:

Unfortunately some of the stickers on Jetfire/Skyfire are peeling off after 20+ years and I don't believe either he or Perceptor are complete with all accessories at this point.

I also still have Rodimus Prime, the Constructicons and a handful of others around here somewhere.:lol:

Those Transformers look like they're in good shape. I especially like that Power Master Optimus and Grimlok. I couldn't even make a respectable offer on them, though, so I'll just admire them.

I never did manage to get any of the TMNT vehicles and I only have one of those figures (Space Raph), so I would definitely be interested in those. Same goes for Dino Riders. But I'm not in any position to be making offers. In other words: I'm broke and my wife would kill me for "wasting" money on more toys. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone who'd be happy to buy them from you.

You know what's really sad is I went through a phase in my childhood where I was destructive to some toys. My one friend and I used to simulate 'meteor storms' on his Star Wars vehicles by pummeling them with larger rocks while they were on the ground. :whistle2:#

Not to mention I had some #1 edition comics from the 70's and 80's that I enjoyed far too much back then to the point that they became ratty and worthless that I see are actually worth something nowadays.:cry: The only one I think I have from back then that's in ok shape is one of the original b&w TMNT comics that had more graphic content than the later ones.

I'd pick up that ice station lego set for personal use on the cheap for sure; but that's probably at odds with the gazillion dollars a CIB collector would pay, lol.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know what's really sad is I went through a phase in my childhood where I was destructive to some toys. My one friend and I used to simulate 'meteor storms' on his Star Wars vehicles by pummeling them with larger rocks while they were on the ground. :whistle2:#

Not to mention I had some #1 edition comics from the 70's and 80's that I enjoyed far too much back then to the point that they became ratty and worthless that I see are actually worth something nowadays.:cry: The only one I think I have from back then that's in ok shape is one of the original b&w TMNT comics that had more graphic content than the later ones.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I would set-up an epic G.I. Joe battle in my yard or sidewalk (like the kids did in commercials back in the day). Douse them in rubbing alcohol and light them all on fire. :lol:

Definitely not the smartest thing I've done, but still had fun doing it. Regret it now of course since most of my figures are now garbage. I still have a few dozen figures, but the rubber bands in the body have snapped for the most part, and almost all of them are missing their thumbs.

OP, I'll have a price I'm willing to buy all the Dino-Riders from you by EOW. =)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know what's really sad is I went through a phase in my childhood where I was destructive to some toys. My one friend and I used to simulate 'meteor storms' on his Star Wars vehicles by pummeling them with larger rocks while they were on the ground. :whistle2:#

Not to mention I had some #1 edition comics from the 70's and 80's that I enjoyed far too much back then to the point that they became ratty and worthless that I see are actually worth something nowadays.:cry: The only one I think I have from back then that's in ok shape is one of the original b&w TMNT comics that had more graphic content than the later ones.[/QUOTE]

My uncle used to put paper in his hot wheels cars and light them on fire with matches. Or put the matches in the car and light them, I forgot which one it was. I had several hot wheels with burnt innards and blown out screens when I was a kid because of this (I had a lot of hand me down toys as a kid).

[quote name='SaraAB']My uncle used to put paper in his hot wheels cars and light them on fire with matches. Or put the matches in the car and light them, I forgot which one it was. I had several hot wheels with burnt innards and blown out screens when I was a kid because of this (I had a lot of hand me down toys as a kid).[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing!! :lol:

Also, swapping out the arms on all my He-Man figures. :lol:

[quote name='Maskim']Those Transformers look like they're in good shape. I especially like that Power Master Optimus and Grimlok. I couldn't even make a respectable offer on them, though, so I'll just admire them.[/QUOTE]

I would love to have those Transformers... especially Megatron and Trypticon. I always wanted them as a kid but we were too poor to afford them. They're so expensive now though that I can't bring myself to buy them even though I could afford them. Even Power Rangers (my other childhood fave) stuff is expensive as hell. I still have the only TF I got as a kid though Grimlock... (and still play with it!:lol:).

And honestly OP, I think you'd be better of selling these based on value (eBay value) and donating the money to charity. There's a lot of assholes here on CAG that'll take advantage of a kind deed (trust me, I've been on the short end of it).

[quote name='Vinny']
And honestly OP, I think you'd be better of selling these based on value (eBay value) and donating the money to charity. There's a lot of assholes here on CAG that'll take advantage of a kind deed (trust me, I've been on the short end of it).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'd be doing more good doing what Vinny says.

Start them off at a low bid price and let the chips fall where they may.

Ah, the memories.....Megatron in particular. As a small child I took him with me to the airport. I got to demonstrate the transformation for so many aircraft security people. I was so PROUD and happy to show off, and it was only looking back that I realized that they thought I was a threat to others.

bread's done
Back