Samsung Galaxy s3 vs Apple iphone 5, which do I get?

squishface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I need a new phones soon from sprint. My now ancient android phone is about to become non functional. I've used android for the past 2 contracts and have yet to get an iphone. Of those two phones, which would you all suggest I get? I'm wondering and a bit worried if I get another android and a few months down the road, a newer high premium model comes out and I don't get anymore updates for the phone that is only a few months old. It happened to be before. One of the things I dont like about androids. With Apple, I have to determine how much storage I plan on using for the duration of my contract.

iPhone all the way

In all honesty I was on sprint for a while and was an android homer for a long time. Waited in line for the palm pre on release day. Same with the EVO. But never was I completely satisfied until I got my iPhone 4 two years ago. This is the first smartphone I have ever had where I had zero problems. All of my android phones died after a year or were rendered useless by bring left behind in updates.

Trust me get the iPhone and never look back you will not be disappointed!

I was deciding between the S2 and the iPhone 4s last year. Went iPhone and haven't regretted it. Mainly went that way for the smaller screen (I don't need a big screen, and prefer a smaller phone), the huge app selection, and that I already had an iPad so had the OS, getting files on/off the devices etc. figured out.

My phone uses are pretty basic though--calls and texts, e-mail, Facebook and Twitter, simple games (Words with Friends, Bejeweled etc.), taking some pictures, music, etc. and I don't care about customization/flexibility so there's not really any advantage to Android for me. I could do mostly all the same stuff, but with a smaller app selection and a slightly more complicated OS.

Nokia Lumia 920

530345_10151126306227633_1103730022_n.jpg

BTW, I have owned previous versions of the iphone and also a few different samsung android phones in the past.

I say go with the Galaxy SIII or Note II. They should be updated often as long as Sprint pushes the update. The SIII is scheduled to be updated to 4.1 sometime in the next month. Again that is as long as Sprint pushes it. You could always go with T-Mobile and get the Galaxy Nexus from Google. That way you will get the updates when Google sends them out. The issue with Android phones is that once Google makes the update the consumer has to wait on the manufacture to change things and put their UI over it then it goes to the carrier to be pushed out to the phone. Once it is sent to the carrier they may hold it to get people to buy a new phone. I got sick of this issue with HTC when I had my EVO 3D. Sprint and HTC went back and forth blaming each other as to why 4.0 was not released on the 3D. Sprint was holding it because of the release of the EVO 4LTE. The Galaxy Nexus from Google you don't have that issue from what I have read due to it being a pure Google phone.

Apple on the other hand pushes all of their updates and from what I understand has no issues with the carriers hold the update. So you wont have to deal with all of that BS. The iOS just seems to be the same thing with little change. What they do add has been on Android for some time. So they seem to be a few steps behind. They also don't seem to like it when you jailbreak their device. Android welcomes the community of developers that build their own OS off of Android or customize what is currently on it. To me it just seems like the users have more options with Android over iOS.

If you don't want to go that rout with getting the Nexus you can always flash different roms to the phone. That is what I had to do with my EVO. I would have done the same with the 3D however I was holding off for the update to 4.0 for about 7 months till I traded it in for the Galaxy SIII. I held off on rooting and putting a different rom on it due to HTC and Sprint saying that the update was coming that month or the next and due to having hBoot 1.5. The only regret that I have with upgrading to the SIII is that I should have held off. The month after I got my SIII the EVO 3D was updated to 4.0 and not long ago T-Mobile announced that they were going to have an unlimited plan. If I would have waited I would have went to T-Mobile and had a pure Google phone and 4G.

It is up to you, but I would give T-Mobile a shot and get the Galaxy Nexus from Google. If you want to stay with Sprint then hold out till the Note II comes out if you can. Check it out in store and see if you like it. By that time the Galaxy SIII should have been updated or have a date for the update for 4.1. If it has been updated check it out in store and see what you think. Samsung from what I have been told and have read are not as bad as getting the updates out as HTC is, but for me my next phone is looking like it will be a Nexus phone from Google.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

My phone uses are pretty basic though--calls and texts, e-mail, Facebook and Twitter, simple games (Words with Friends, Bejeweled etc.), taking some pictures, music, etc. and I don't care about customization/flexibility so there's not really any advantage to Android for me. I could do mostly all the same stuff, but with a smaller app selection and a slightly more complicated OS.[/QUOTE]

If this is your way of use then iPhone is the way to go!

If you're concerned about updates, you should only be looking at the Nexus line or iphone if you're sticking with Sprint. Both will have at least 2 years of official support with the Nexus being supported for a bit longer thanks to devs at xda. If you're going to ATT, which I don't recommend, you have the additional option of choosing the Sony Xperia S because they have an option to go with a pure Android ROM as well.

[quote name='StryderOmega']The S4 is due in Feb. Remember that, to all who say go with the S3.

Means your phone will be lost behind the updates in less than a year.[/QUOTE]

There's no proof that's even true. Unsourced reports and rumors. And he's looking for a phone soon, not 5 or 6 months from now.

I have an S3 and absolutely love it. The only thing is I wish it were a bit more hefty and less plasticky feeling. Otherwise, I'm good with it.

I think you can compare specs, and the newer phone will always have the better specs. But I have to say that I would think a major difference is the Genius Bar service at the Apple Stores. If you walk in with a product that is still within the Apple Care timeline, pretty much they will fix it for free a lot of times even if you caused the damage. I set up an Apple Car appointment for a broken speaker -- I was honest and told them, I got gunk in the speaker and it didn't work. So I caused the damage so it wouldn't typically be covered under warranty, it didn't simply break, but they replaced the speaker free when the outside of warranty cost and the typical cost would be $59.

I have an iPhone 4 (been a user every since the 3G) however earlier this year I was thinking of reconsidering my phone choice and getting a Galaxy Note because I just wanted something fun and new, not to mention a larger screen however I chose not too.

iOS is good, but its just always the same (some may say this isn't a bad thing) and while I don't mind it I feel with minor adjustments it could be much better. I always dislike how when Apple announce a new feature for iOS that's been available for months on other phones all the fans go nuts like its a new revolutionary thing.

I would very much like an iPhone 5 however I just can't afford it right now, and say by Christmas when I finally have enough money I will get the thought "The iPhone 5s could be out in the summer so might as well wait".

Have you considered the Note II? It's out fairly soon I think.

I think the best way to figure it out is to play with the phones for a while at a retail location for a while. They both have their positives and negatives. Also for anyone saying the Note 2 or the S4, remember that they will release the international version while carriers in the U.S. will take months from the day of release to carry it.

edit: saw an article about the note 2 on sprint in october. http://www.examiner.com/article/more-details-leak-out-on-sprint-samsung-galaxy-note-ii

Last edited by a moderator:
Note 2 will be on every carrier in the US by mid november, some like US Cellular will have it late october. S3 is on every single carrier in the US, they've sold 20 million S3s already and plan on selling over 30 million S3s total. The Note 1 was a limited release in most of the world and sold over 10 million phones, the Note 2 has a forecast of over 20 million phones sold. All of these devices are going to get heavily supported, these arent one-off phones like a Droid Incredible on 1 single carrier world wide, these phones are the same and millions of them sold, updates should be the least of your concerns.

In my experience, stick with the one you know and like. I was an iPhone user and switched to Android, hated it, and ended up switching back. I've heard of it happening the other way around a lot too. It's like always ordering the same thing at a restaurant, and the one time you decide to try something different, it ends up sucking.

It's all based on preference. I know people with iPhones who are happy and I also know people with Androids who are happy. I have Windows Phone 7 and I couldn't be happier. I think it really depends on what kind of a person you are and what you're looking for in a phone. I would go to the Apple store, try out a iPhone 5 and see if it looks like something you would like. I would also read up on them and look into the pluses and minuses of the phone. (One big problem I know of with iOS 6 is that Apple's new map is pretty bad)

Since I do travel a good bit and use the gps function instead of carrying multiple road maps with me. I'm kinda worried about the new apple map system. Sadly , I don't live near an apple store unless I go visit my friend who lives about 4 hours away from me. The only way for me to actually test an iphone is to wait for att or sprint to get a fully functional demo unit, unless I can find someone who has the new iphone 5 which shouldnt be that hard to do. The people i've talked to who have the s3 and the ones who managed to get the iphone 5 recently love them. None of them will mention anything bad so I can't really get a real sense of what the phone is actually like, if that makes sense?
I do play some games, like plants vs zombies and xmen... I regularly use the weather app/widget, gps, clock-alarm clock functions (i'm not sure where those are on the iphone) Kinda used to having dynamic weather and a clock on the home screen. Then the usual apps like the cheezburger network, pandora, youtube, ufc and bmc racing and so forth. I have an unlimited data plan because I feel I have to otherwise I would be constantly checking my data usage while not in a wifi area. I'd like like to check into the camera features and functions of both phones. I've heard they are both updated with new features to take some quality pics. My current phone is over 2 years old and has an 8.0megapixel camera so I figured the new premium phone has to have something better.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It's all based on preference. I know people with iPhones who are happy and I also know people with Androids who are happy. I have Windows Phone 7 and I couldn't be happier. I think it really depends on what kind of a person you are and what you're looking for in a phone. I would go to the Apple store, try out a iPhone 5 and see if it looks like something you would like. I would also read up on them and look into the pluses and minuses of the phone. (One big problem I know of with iOS 6 is that Apple's new map is pretty bad)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RandyTsai']don't buy apple. look at what they represent and who backs them.[/QUOTE]
Elaborate.

New Maps does suck, but you can still access Google Maps via the web.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']any phone is a better choice than apple's overprice, under performing proprietary junk.[/QUOTE]
You do know the iPhone 5 benchmarks higher than the SG3 and costs the same, right?

An iphone will pay for itself if you get rid of it at any point, even after your 2 year contract. i don't know about anyone else but i like things that hold their value.

[quote name='Limegreen']An iphone will pay for itself if you get rid of it at any point, even after your 2 year contract. i don't know about anyone else but i like things that hold their value.[/QUOTE]

this

[quote name='JJSP']You do know the iPhone 5 benchmarks higher than the SG3 and costs the same, right?[/QUOTE]

That's not quite true. There are conflicting reports on the performance of both phones using the same benchmarking app. If anything, I'd put them at close to a dead heat since their scores are usually very close.

I upgraded to an iPhone 4S from a Droid Charge cause I missed the apps. Then when the SIII came out, I switched back. Main reason being the unlimited grandfathering on Verizon was ending and if I didn't upgrade then, I'd be forced into the shared plans on Verizon. For the most part, I don't miss the iPhone too much. I admit the SIII can be buggy sometimes. There are a few occasions where apps would freeze up and crash.

But on the whole, I don't really miss my iPhone that much. I get lost quite easily and rely quite a bit on the Google Maps. Turn by turn voice directions is a godsend in those situations when I'm driving somewhere far and unknown. Apart from that, the cameras are on par. The camera on the iPhone 4S I'd rate a little better performance-wise but the SIII has way more photo editing and camera options, if that's your thing. I haven't tried Apple's map app yet, but so far I've heard generally ok things about it.

I think ease of use leans towards iOS because of its simplicity (not a knock, but it is streamlined and controlled to make it easy for any user). But if you like a little more control and integration among your social media stuff and email and whatnot, Android still has it beat.

Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of usability. Like others have said, identify your main uses of the phone and move on from there. They're both very good phones, it just comes down to what you're happy with.

Also, does Sprint have a similar 30 day return policy on phones? I know Verizon has that 30 day return policy where you can return the phone if you're unhappy with it. Another thing you could do is maybe order one and give it a test run then go with the other. That way you have a little time to figure out if you're completely happy with either. A little bit of a hassle, but this way you get real hands on time with it.

I have two options for the returns. I could buy the phone from radioshack and have 30 days to exchange phones as a one time only deal, or go to sprint for 14 days and pay a $35 fee for stocking or something is what one of the reps told me. I will buy the s3 if I can take part in this https://www.dropbox.com/help/297/en
One of the radio shack guys said if i ever needed to get it updated after a few months when the next os is out for andoid and wasn't able to that he would update it personally . I guess that means he's gonna root it or something ?

[quote name='rhymenoceros']

Also, does Sprint have a similar 30 day return policy on phones? I know Verizon has that 30 day return policy where you can return the phone if you're unhappy with it. Another thing you could do is maybe order one and give it a test run then go with the other. That way you have a little time to figure out if you're completely happy with either. A little bit of a hassle, but this way you get real hands on time with it.[/QUOTE]

My contract is up next month and have been deciding on these 2 phones myself. Pretty sure I'm gping with the Iphone 5. Never had any major problems with the Iphone 4 and if I ever get an Ipad I don't have to buy new apps.

I have an Iphone 4 and Im eligible for an upgrade soon. I actually plan on switching to Wp 8. I don't use apps. I just don't. So having 9 trillion apps, 90% of which are sh*tty games, is pointless to me. iOS works well enough but I just need a change.

[quote name='JJSP']You do know the iPhone 5 benchmarks higher than the SG3 and costs the same, right?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rhymenoceros']That's not quite true. [/QUOTE]

Kendro posted this in the iPhone5 thread:

Android-Benchmarks.gif

Looks like a beat to me.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']any phone is a better choice than apple's overprice, under performing proprietary junk.[/QUOTE]Haha, I so agree.

Believe me, I decided to give into an iPhone since I finally had the chance to get it (I only stick with Verizon) and while I like its selection of apps, design, and iOS running smooth, in ways I feel like I downgraded from my Android. My Android had awesome Facebook integration, much easier to drag and drop files instead of that stupid synch crap. I'm so tempted to just pay full price and swap out my phone, but I want to wait until the very next big Android phone comes out.

[quote name='ananag112']Nokia Lumia 920

BTW, I have owned previous versions of the iphone and also a few different samsung android phones in the past.[/QUOTE]

I am hoping you are right. My next phone is either going to be this or the new note.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Haha, I so agree.

Believe me, I decided to give into an iPhone since I finally had the chance to get it (I only stick with Verizon) and while I like its selection of apps, design, and iOS running smooth, in ways I feel like I downgraded from my Android. My Android had awesome Facebook integration, much easier to drag and drop files instead of that stupid synch crap. I'm so tempted to just pay full price and swap out my phone, but I want to wait until the very next big Android phone comes out.[/QUOTE]
I've only been tempted to buy one Android phone (the HTC Inspire on AT&T), but stopped because they completely ignored the Mac platform for syncing content. HTC was using their HTC Sync program to interface with the phone and there wasn't a Mac version.

While I admit that there's a lot to like about the Android OS, I just haven't found a device that made me want to ditch my iPhone.

[quote name='JJSP']I've only been tempted to buy one Android phone (the HTC Inspire on AT&T), but stopped because they completely ignored the Mac platform for syncing content. HTC was using their HTC Sync program to interface with the phone and there wasn't a Mac version.

While I admit that there's a lot to like about the Android OS, I just haven't found a device that made me want to ditch my iPhone.[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite because I absolutely hate those synching programs and just cannot get use to them. With my Android (HTC Droid Incredible), all I had to do was plug my phone into my computer, then I could drag and drop any MP3, photo, etc. into folders on my Droid. So much easier on me. Could take any MP3 and make it a ringtone. If I wanted a file back on my PC, just copy it over from my phone to PC easily. To make a ringtone on the iPhone, I have to go around circles just to get one ringtone mode.

[quote name='keithp']Kendro posted this in the iPhone5 thread:

Android-Benchmarks.gif

Looks like a beat to me.[/QUOTE]

I've read some other early articles too that say it rivals or is close. Like I said before, there's some conflicting benchmarks people are pulling. But they're both blazing fast.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/first-iphone-5-benchmarks/
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...us-7&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

My issue is that at this point, both phones are ridiculous fast. Any differences, performance wise as tested by these benchmarking apps, is moot because you probably won't notice that much of a dropoff between either. It's just like another badge on their lapel touting how their phone is superior by milimeters. I just wish people didn't identify themselves by what kind of phone they have. It tires me. It's just a phone...

Also found this somewhat amusing. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of these (or all) were plants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=player_embedded

[quote name='ananag112']Nokia Lumia 920

BTW, I have owned previous versions of the iphone and also a few different samsung android phones in the past.[/QUOTE]

I made the Windows phone Jump in early 2011 and haven't looked back. I have a HTC arrive now but I'm hoping Nokia comes out with a qwerty phone (not holding my breath though) soon my contract with sprint is up in April.

Go with the S3 you won't regret it. And seriously, at this point, the Google Play store is just as good as the app store, every app you'd want on iPhone is on android.
samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5.jpeg

Galaxy, and it's really not even close unless you are already hopelessly trapped in Apple's crappy ecosystem.

Iphones are marketed to and purchased by people who don't know what they want and can't be bothered to do any research to find out. They are well-built, but technology wise the iPhone is always half a dozen steps behind whatever phone is on the leading edge at the time.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Galaxy, and it's really not even close unless you are already hopelessly trapped in Apple's crappy ecosystem.

Iphones are marketed to and purchased by people who don't know what they want and can't be bothered to do any research to find out. They are well-built, but technology wise the iPhone is always half a dozen steps behind whatever phone is on the leading edge at the time.[/QUOTE]

Not true whatsoever. A lot of people who "know what they want" choose iPhones. People like the iPhone and it's interface.

fyi: I use an android phone (Samsung infuse 4g)

I think these posters comparing to the iPhone are pretty funny, things like "tilt to zoom" and "shake to update" are they really amazing game changing features?

[quote name='saunderscowie']I think these posters comparing to the iPhone are pretty funny, things like "tilt to zoom" and "shake to update" are they really amazing game changing features?[/QUOTE]

I lean toward Android, but I feel the same. It is stupid to add those trivial features to the comparison.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I think these posters comparing to the iPhone are pretty funny, things like "tilt to zoom" and "shake to update" are they really amazing game changing features?[/QUOTE]

No but NFC and removable battery are a pretty big deal

[quote name='KtMack23']And seriously, at this point, the Google Play store is just as good as the app store, every app you'd want on iPhone is on android.
[/QUOTE]

You are kidding right? With an iphone I could be playing Lunar Silver Star, Infinity Blade, Cave shooters, and many cool games. iphone doesn't have a lot going for it but Android is not close to catching up gaming wise.

Gotta ask, the folks lining up to buy that thing, do these folks not have jobs, lives, families, etc.? If so, who the hell takes a vacation day to buy a phone? Seriously, have some patience, people. The world won't end if you aren't one of the first in your area to get the newest iwhatever.

bread's done
Back