question about my "crappy" HDTV

Fire2box

CAGiversary!
I am getting the parts for my new PC rig in soon i5, 7870, 8 GB ram.

When I plugged my 8800GT into my TV via VGA cable it wouldn't display it at full res of the TV, it was some odd res. But since the 7870 has a HDMI port, do you think the TV will then be able to display in full 1080? Because my PS3 can do 1080 via the HDMI on it when playing back hi res movies.

I wont be able to find out till monday night or Tuesday after I piece everything together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 7870. It works fine with my TV (thus probably yours, too), though you may have to change the Overscan setting in ATI Catalyst Control Center.

As for your other card, I don't know why that would have a problem, if you connected using VGA, but I've never owned an Nvidia card.

Your 7870 will deafult to whatever resolution your tv is set to. Meaning if your TV is 1080p, it will default to 1080p.

You may need to change some setting software wise as the ms and refresh rates on HDTVs are much slower than PC monitors.

Monoprice.com will have your cable needs and http://www.displayfusion.com/ will have your dual monitor/HDTV setup needs.

well I did plug my 7870 in via HDMI and the TV only supported 1280 x 720 or something like that. Pretty much the res PS3 games play at. So it wasn't full HD sadly. However there is a 24 inch 1080p monitor here that I can use.

[quote name='SynGamer']I thought VGA defaulted to 1024x768?[/QUOTE]

nope VGA always supported my monitor at 1280 x 1024 even with built in GPU from my old amd dual core. Also I never tried plugging in via VGA, I just tried the HDMI route on my TV.

[quote name='Fire2box']well I did plug my 7870 in via HDMI and the TV only supported 1280 x 720 or something like that. Pretty much the res PS3 games play at. So it wasn't full HD sadly. However there is a 24 inch 1080p monitor here that I can use.[/QUOTE]

You sure your TV is actually 1080p?

There are HDTVs out there that still only output a 720p signal.

[quote name='j-cart']You sure your TV is actually 1080p?

There are HDTVs out there that still only output a 720p signal.[/QUOTE]

Weirder still are TVs that are native 720p but will take 1080p input. I have a Sony rear projection that defaults to 1080i on all devices and my PC and laptop but is 1080p native. I always have to force 1080p (or 1920x1080 for PC).

[quote name='j-cart']You sure your TV is actually 1080p?

There are HDTVs out there that still only output a 720p signal.[/QUOTE]

it's 1080i as Dish network and the PS3 and even my DVD player play at 1080i and the tv screen says so when switch sources.

This TV was bought in like 2006 2007ish. So it is old, but its picture is alright even thouugh its only interlaced which isn't good. But I have little to compare it with anyhow.

[quote name='j-cart']Then the maximum output for your HDTV is going to be 720p.[/QUOTE]

Well, for PC it seems. dish network and PS3 are clearly able to deliver 1080i over HDMI and component cables. But I'm not too worried about it.

I want to let you in on a secret that companies never wanted to tell you. 1080i is worse than 720p.

However the exception is that until you see them side by side, you'll never notice the difference. I can tell you that @ 720p your PC games will be able to run @ 60 fps with pretty much max settings.

[quote name='j-cart']I want to let you in on a secret that companies never wanted to tell you. 1080i is worse than 720p.

However the exception is that until you see them side by side, you'll never notice the difference. I can tell you that @ 720p your PC games will be able to run @ 60 fps with pretty much max settings.[/QUOTE]

Lol, can't believe that in 2012 were still talking 720p vs 1080i. But yea, in general your right 720p is better looking than 1080i. With the exception of a intermediary video processor such as my DVDO Edge, it deinterlaces and scales 1080i and yields better picture than just scaling 720p. And as for my rear projection, yes it is 1080p native.

[quote name='j-cart']I want to let you in on a secret that companies never wanted to tell you. 1080i is worse than 720p.

However the exception is that until you see them side by side, you'll never notice the difference. I can tell you that @ 720p your PC games will be able to run @ 60 fps with pretty much max settings.[/QUOTE]

yeah my HDTV is old and it's only 720i or 1080i. Don't need/want to upgrade it though and the longer I wait the more TV's advance and come down in price anyhow.

The PS3 3D display would be nice so maybe I'll go that route.

bread's done
Back