Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a series newbie's perspective)

jclast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Game: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Platform: Nintendo GameCube
I Paid: $15 at EBgames

DISCLAIMER:
This is the first Metal Gear game I have ever played. Let me say this once more for clarity. I have never played MGS on the PlayStation or MGS2 or 3 on the PS2. I never touched the NES or MSX games either.

STORY:
I enjoyed the story. It was nice to present a fictional story with factual elements. If the player knows his or her history, some things won't add up. And they're not supposed to. The writers paid that much attention to history when writing the script. There were a couple too many twists or soap opera "nuh-uh" moments for me though. It felt like somebody defected to the opposing team at almost every cutscene.

8/10 - Above average, but not perfect

GRAPHICS:
Overall, TTS is a very pretty game. Snake moves as naturally as can be expected. He did say his suit was tight and uncomfortable. I think this was a nice touch. He looks a little uncomfortable because he _is_ a little uncomfortable. It looks very similar to MGS2 (if the television commercials are true to the look of the game). The only graphical issue I had was with the lighting. Lighting was often handled with textures. The GameCube is more than capable of lighting effects. The weather effects, on the other hand, are fantastic. Snow and water look excellent.

The CODEC screens were terrible. They looked like they belonged on a Super Nintendo. All green, block text, and terrible lip sync. If you're going to make me read, at least make the screen pleasant to look at.

7/10 - Above average, but the lighting should have been better and the CODEC screen was terrible.

SOUND:
The music was appropriate. I felt sneaky when I was doing well, and I felt anxious when I'd been spotted. The voice acting was a mixed bag. Snake seemed gritty and tough, but Meryl sounded like a little girl. I understand she was a rookie, but she sounded like she was 12. On the whole, characters emoted well, and the voices match the character models. I could tell who was speaking without reading the captions on the CODEC screen.

10/10 - Good music and far above average voice acting

ENVIRONMENTS:
Visually, the environments are stunning. Many of the indoor locales feel cramped though. Either that or the enemy soldiers were too smart. I had a difficult time offing them without drawing the attention of all the others. There just wasn't enough room to be a sneaky badass.

6/10 - Pretty, but cramped

GAMEPLAY:
Snake controls well, but he seems to have a couple too many moves. For example, Snake can hang from ledges. I used this once, and that was only because I wanted to try it out. It was completely unneccessary (unless I beat the game in a very unorthodox way). Also, the button layout was awkward, but I got used to it. The L and R shoulder buttons cycle through items and weapons while in thrid-person view, but while in first-person view, they peek in their respective directions. This means the player can change items or weapons while in first-person view. I don't know how to remedy this, but it bothered me all the same.

The difficulty was all over the map. I had a harder time getting from point A to point B than I did dispatching bosses. Yeah, I was dissapointed, too. A random soldier can completely waste me, but none of the boss characters ever killed me. I only used 1 ration on a boss fight, and that's only because Hideo Kojima is way smarter than I am, so Mantis and I battled for a long time.

The inventory system in this game is absolute garbage. Why is it that I can wear _either_ the gas mask or the body armor? In what universe are these items mutually exclusive? Why do I need to have a ration equipped to use it when my health runs out? If I've got one, what's it matter if it's equipped? It's not like I carry my gun in one hand and the equipped ration in the other.

5/10 -- Some good, some bad

CUTSCENES:
Very nicely done, but they don't really seem to fit. When I'm controlling Snake, he and his foes are human. When we enter cutscene mode, Snake and his enemies act like characters from the Matrix (there's even bullet time). They look cool, but I don't think I'm playing the same game, the cutscene director was playing. Stylistic gripes aside, they move the story along nicely. They added to the story nicely. As a matter of fact, I would have liked to see some of the CODEC scenes replaced with cutscenes (especially the bits that could have been flashbacks).

8/10 -- Neat looking, but they seem out of place

OVERALL:
I enjoyed this game. It beat the pants off of the Splinter Cell demo I tried. I swear, when I'm controlling him, Sam Fisher is reduced to a very special monkey that makes lots of noise. Snake controlled easily enough that I could be the sneaky badass Snake is supposed to be. I didn't want to turn this game off. It completely at my Saturday. It's not my favorite game on the GameCube by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're looking for a mature game with entertaining (if too easy) boss fights, James Bond gadgets, and a hero that's not afraid to do what it takes to win, pick this one up.

Also, the option to select from 5 difficulties from the get-go is awesome. Not every gamer among us can handle the "normal" difficulty. I'd rather more people get to experience the entire story on "very easy" than trade the game in because it's too hard. Unlockables and multiple endings are a definite plus, too.

8/10 -- Above average game, very enjoyable. I won't be trading it in, and its flaws can be easily overlooked.

Good review, but why did you feel compelled to write one? You are probably the only person on CAG who hadn't played MGS1 in some form. And I have to disagree with your grading of the story, if you don't think this game is a 10 in storyline then I don't know what is. If you thought MGS:TTS had to many plots twists then don't even touch MGS2.

5/10 on gameplay? I guess you arent a stealth fan. I have to say this is my second favorite game in the series but on my fourth time through it only took 1 hour and 48 minutes to complete. IMO this one of the best GC games and it is second to only MGS 3 (classic) in its series.

Story got taken down because it twisted every time I turned around, which I think it a pretty weak way to create tension. The nuclear stuff was enough of a threat for me.

Actual controller stuff, I'd give it a 9 (down a bit for shoulder button stuff). Also, 5 is average. I can't stand when game reviewers use 7 as an average score. It means anything slightly above average is an 8, and that's ridiculous. Average is nothing to be ashamed of. And what really drug it down was that awful inventory system. I still want to know why I can't wear the gas mask and the body armor at the same time.

When add in the pitiful boss battles, I don't know how anybody could rate this a 10.

Maybe the GC transaltion has worse gameplay than the PSX version. I could see the extra buttons on the DualShock being very handy for this game.

Also, I felt compelled to write it because my opinion of it is no based on comparison with the PS version. I can't be the _only_ person who'd never played it before. But you're right stealth wasn't my thing before this, but I'm looking to pick up MGS2. EB has it for $10.

I played on Normal, which when given the choice, is probably the difficulty that ought to be reviewed. There's a lot of challenge to be had here, but with as easy as Normal was, Very Easy must have just been a bunch of cutscenes and people saying "Good job" while the computer controlled Snake for you.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good game. It's just not the be-all and end-all of GameCube gaming that my friends made it out to be.

I really liked your review... I've been waiting to pick this up after I finish some of my games. I don't really like incredibly tough boss battles so I definaley will buy this, eventually.

[quote name='jclast']Also, I felt compelled to write it because my opinion of it is no based on comparison with the PS version. I can't be the _only_ person who'd never played it before.[/QUOTE]
You're not. I have yet to play any of the MGS games, but I was planning to start with the Gamecube one at some point. Thanks for the review.

[quote name='Jrunt20x']Good review, but why did you feel compelled to write one? You are probably the only person on CAG who hadn't played MGS1 in some form. And I have to disagree with your grading of the story, if you don't think this game is a 10 in storyline then I don't know what is. If you thought MGS:TTS had to many plots twists then don't even touch MGS2.[/QUOTE]

Nah man, that's cool that he wrote a review. I don't really see many reviews up anymore... its entertaining to read and such.

Great review, jclast.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I try to write a review every time I finish a game unless one has already been written. I like to read reviews, too. I figure like-minded people (cheap) may not have played all the blockbusters, and maybe if I keep writing other people will write, too.

[quote name='jclast']Thanks for the feedback guys. I try to write a review every time I finish a game unless one has already been written. I like to read reviews, too. I figure like-minded people (cheap) may not have played all the blockbusters, and maybe if I keep writing other people will write, too.[/QUOTE]
great review man...and look forward to future ones

Just for point of reference on some of your gripes, some things were added to the GC version that weren't in the PSX version. This includes the First Person mode and the ability to hang off ledges. These were added after they were put to good use in MGS2, though they didnt' really change the level structure to account for them, being that they wanted to keep the game pretty much the same as the PSX version. This would account for there not being a lot of good places to use the hanging or the odd usage of the first person.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Just for point of reference on some of your gripes, some things were added to the GC version that weren't in the PSX version. This includes the First Person mode and the ability to hang off ledges. These were added after they were put to good use in MGS2, though they didnt' really change the level structure to account for them, being that they wanted to keep the game pretty much the same as the PSX version. This would account for there not being a lot of good places to use the hanging or the odd usage of the first person.[/QUOTE]

That makes a lot of sense then. The boss battles would have been much more challenging without first-person mode. In the PSX version were the sniper rifles and rocket launchers still in first person?

[quote name='jclast']That makes a lot of sense then. The boss battles would have been much more challenging without first-person mode. In the PSX version were the sniper rifles and rocket launchers still in first person?[/QUOTE]
yes they were in first person

[quote name='jclast']That makes a lot of sense then. The boss battles would have been much more challenging without first-person mode. In the PSX version were the sniper rifles and rocket launchers still in first person?[/QUOTE]

people always say this, and though I only have beaten half of MGS on the PC (stopped after beating the Hind D, which was the only thing I found hard), but have beaten TTS 4 times, I personally find TTS to have easier boss battles. Hell I thought Ocelot was a joke, and Psycho Mantis difficulty was about the same since viewing in first person always ends up leading to damage

First person makes 3 bosses really easy: Revolver Ocelot, Vulcan Raven (first encounter), and Psycho Mantis.

It makes Mantis easier because you can lay down and shoot him in first person. Only the thought bubble attack can hit you in that position.

[quote name='jclast']First person makes 3 bosses really easy: Revolver Ocelot, Vulcan Raven (first encounter), and Psycho Mantis.

It makes Mantis easier because you can lay down and shoot him in first person. Only the thought bubble attack can hit you in that position.[/QUOTE]

but all those battles are easy in general. IMO the hardest part of the whole game is infiltrating the building (specifically the elevator) after that, the game is complete cake (though it is still fun).

MGS2 and 3 are a lot harder, and are better games IMO. Both are also a lot longer.

and if you have the ability check the original out.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']but all those battles are easy in general. IMO the hardest part of the whole game is infiltrating the building (specifically the elevator) after that, the game is complete cake (though it is still fun).

MGS2 and 3 are a lot harder, and are better games IMO. Both are also a lot longer.

and if you have the ability check the original out.[/QUOTE]

Casey,

I know little of the MSx series and you seem to be pretty up to date. I loved the NES Metal Gear and its followed me as a favorite since I bought it new back in the 80's.

Was there an english version of the MSX games? Gear 1 or Gear 2?

I thought this was a pretty well done and interesting review, especially coming from someone who had no had no previous conceptions of the MG games - particularly with respect to the original PS1 MGS.

I guess it's a pretty much agreed thing at this point that while it was kind of a good idea to try to implement MGS with an MGS2 engine with according graphics and features, the fact that the level design was almost totally unchanged made the game almost absurdly easy or just akward at times.

An 8/10 is a fair score for the game, I'd say, considering that a 5 should be an average game. MGS:TTS was a very good game, but a a little shy of excellence. The things that made the original great cannot be denied (the story and presentation, the general gameplay) but TTS by itself feels a bit emptier.

I highly recommend that you hit MGS 2: Substance. I probably won't play MGS 3 for another year or more so I have nothing to say on that.

Was there an english version of the MSX games? Gear 1 or Gear 2?
I believe some group translated the MSX roms, so if you look around and are willing to go through the slightly aggravating process of MSX emulation, you can play them on your PC. They are definitely superior to the NES games.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']I thought this was a pretty well done and interesting review, especially coming from someone who had no had no previous conceptions of the MG games - particularly with respect to the original PS1 MGS.

I guess it's a pretty much agreed thing at this point that while it was kind of a good idea to try to implement MGS with an MGS2 engine with according graphics and features, the fact that the level design was almost totally unchanged made the game almost absurdly easy or just akward at times.

An 8/10 is a fair score for the game, I'd say, considering that a 5 should be an average game. MGS:TTS was a very good game, but a a little shy of excellence. The things that made the original great cannot be denied (the story and presentation, the general gameplay) but TTS by itself feels a bit emptier.

I highly recommend that you hit MGS 2: Substance. I probably won't play MGS 3 for another year or more so I have nothing to say on that.

I believe some group translated the MSX roms, so if you look around and are willing to go through the slightly aggravating process of MSX emulation, you can play them on your PC. They are definitely superior to the NES games.[/QUOTE]

yea they did, and the translations are awesome. Metal Gear 1 is a completely different game from its NES counterpart (plot still same, but much is changed). Metal Gear 2 is also pretty fun, though I have not spent enough time with it.

[quote name='jclast']Story got taken down because it twisted every time I turned around, which I think it a pretty weak way to create tension. The nuclear stuff was enough of a threat for me.

Actual controller stuff, I'd give it a 9 (down a bit for shoulder button stuff). Also, 5 is average. I can't stand when game reviewers use 7 as an average score. It means anything slightly above average is an 8, and that's ridiculous. Average is nothing to be ashamed of. And what really drug it down was that awful inventory system. I still want to know why I can't wear the gas mask and the body armor at the same time.

When add in the pitiful boss battles, I don't know how anybody could rate this a 10.

Maybe the GC transaltion has worse gameplay than the PSX version. I could see the extra buttons on the DualShock being very handy for this game.

Also, I felt compelled to write it because my opinion of it is no based on comparison with the PS version. I can't be the _only_ person who'd never played it before. But you're right stealth wasn't my thing before this, but I'm looking to pick up MGS2. EB has it for $10.[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely back you up on this one. I really couldn't get into MGS 1 no matter how hard I tried, I just really don't like the gameplay. It isn't that I dislike stealth games either, as I like the splinter cell games, but I did not find this game very enjoyable at all.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I'll definitely back you up on this one. I really couldn't get into MGS 1 no matter how hard I tried, I just really don't like the gameplay. It isn't that I dislike stealth games either, as I like the splinter cell games, but I did not find this game very enjoyable at all.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I'm just the opposite. I actually enjoyed this one a lot. I just didn't think it was perfect. I abhor Splinter Cell. It's gorgeous, and I like watching other people play, but I just can't do it. When I'm holding the controller, Sam Fisher is a very loud, very special, semi-retarded monkey.

He dies. A lot. And then I quit the game.

To each his own I suppose. I think I'll blame it on the GameCube controller (I've never tried on another platform).

I think the control is a personal mater, I for one picked up the controls in a few minutes of play and used all of snakes moves to it's maximum (hanging on ledges while enemies walk by you saved my ass many times). The first person view was my only gripe, in MGS2 it was used wisely but in MGS 1 due to the fact that it's a re-make of the original really made the game trivial. I agree, if you think to much in this game it tends to annoy since some things are way over acted but again seeing an old classic being re-made is the main reason why most people picked it up, which brings me to my next point.

What makes MGSTT so good is the fact that back in 98'' it was (and still is) one of the most amazing games ever made, it blured the line of cinema and games. Now there are so many games thats been there and done that, it really doesn't have the same effect anymore for new comers, but for old fans of the series it's a pleasent walk down memory lane but again for some new comers it might seem like a over producted stealth game. I agree with some points of the review, but not all again a review is nothing but an opinion, and I respect opinions.

[quote name='sisco1986']I think the control is a personal mater, I for one picked up the controls in a few minutes of play and used all of snakes moves to it's maximum (hanging on ledges while enemies walk by you saved my ass many times). The first person view was my only gripe, in MGS2 it was used wisely but in MGS 1 due to the fact that it's a re-make of the original really made the game trivial. [/quote]
I was the opposite, I don't think I ever once had to hang off a ledge or hide in a locker. But with first person mode, every time I fired I gun I used it and it stands as my favorite new feature.

The controls I had trouble with. It took me about 2 hours to feel somewhat comfortable with it, even then I didn't I couldn't master it (I went through the whole game without manually reloading). And having to press start and A just to bring up the codec and start and B to bring up the map was an annoyance.

[quote name='dcfox']I was the opposite, I don't think I ever once had to hang off a ledge or hide in a locker. But with first person mode, every time I fired I gun I used it and it stands as my favorite new feature.

The controls I had trouble with. It took me about 2 hours to feel somewhat comfortable with it, even then I didn't I couldn't master it (I went through the whole game without manually reloading). And having to press start and A just to bring up the codec and start and B to bring up the map was an annoyance.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit! There was a map?! I guess this is what I get for not reading the manual. Or did I miss the colonel telling me about it or something. I was wondering why I had to use Start+A for the codec screen.

I feel very dumb now.

Oh well. To keep this going, I though first person mode was a little too useful. The whole game (not just boss fights) would be harder without first person mode, I think.

[quote name='jclast']Holy shit! There was a map?! I guess this is what I get for not reading the manual. Or did I miss the colonel telling me about it or something. I was wondering why I had to use Start+A for the codec screen.

I feel very dumb now.

Oh well. To keep this going, I though first person mode was a little too useful. The whole game (not just boss fights) would be harder without first person mode, I think.[/QUOTE]

Well yes it made the game very easy, but that's due to the fact that it wasn't designed from the ground up, it's just an old game with a new engine, nothing really was changed from the original thus why the FPS mode really made it easy, Unlike in MGS2/3 where FP mode was useful tool since they knew how to balance it out. also, They don't force you to use the FP View so after a while I stopped using it.

bread's done
Back