How many versions of the OG Dreamcast Controller?

detectiveconan16

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
I have about two versions of the controller I think. Most of the parts are just about identical, but the DPad is where it differs. One is made of extremely hard plastic that makes playing games hurt after several minutes, and the other is of a soft plastic that is quite comfortable in comparison.

So how many versions are out there?

I don't think there are any "official" revisions. The kind of change you are pointing out is quite small, and was probably thrown in as part of the manufacturing process. If you are calling that a "version" than there could be several.

I kind of doubt it, though. The Dreamcast wasn't on the market long enough for it to have numerous controller revisions. Personally, I never really liked the Dreamcast controller very much. The buttons always seemed to wear out too quickly, and the analog stick was too slick and plastic. (my thumb would keep slipping off of it) I actually rigged up my Dreamcast to an arcade cabinet that I designed and got most of my Dreamcast gaming that way. Using arcade controls with most Dreamcast games was extremely satisfying.

You asked and you have received.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?25769-Dreamcast-Collection-by-bel

Haha....:lol: Of course you probably weren't expecting that, were you.

If you're looking for obsessive compulsive collectors (of retro systems) that have EVERYTHING always look over at Assembler first. They have everything you thought you knew that existed and stuff that you didn't even imagine that existed.

Have fun, cool thread btw in that post I linked, man that's a lot of stuff. :bow:

Sweet, I have something the he doesn't. Clear yellow official shell. He doesn't even acknowledge it in his list :p

I wondering if I should do the 360 stick mod on the analog or just get the Grip It stick covers. The former is cheaper, but I have the added cost of actually buying a dremel though I wonder if a hobby knife would do the trick as well. The latter just needs a washer and I can use it for other controllers too.

I'd probably say the Grip It stick covers. While it would be nice to have a 360 stick grafted onto a Dreamcast controller, it isn't strictly necessary. And a simple rubber cover would solve 90% of the issue with the Dreamcast's analog stick.

Alright, finally got them, but an Amazon review is right. I do need a spacer for them because the covers do get stuck on the edges when you go 100% on any direction. A small sewing button would work fine.

OY5Oe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back