PSP or Vita advice?

birdyjuice

CAGiversary!
I've never looked into it before, and don't know much about either and am looking for advice about which one I should possibly get. I would probably get one with a holiday deal or off amazon warehouse deals or whatever.

I'm looking to get Growlanser/Gungnir/FateExtra and some other RPGs mostly.

While looking at this apparently the Vita doesn't take game discs you just download games? And the games seem to cost more off the Playstation Network? How does the online work and downloading games work for this? You just connect to a wi fi spot so would my router work?

Obviously the Vita would last longer, but if I'm just looking for some RPG's the PSP would seem a lot cheaper. They still make some games for it right?

Most new games seem to be download codes or something? But for older games it has PSP discs? The vita doesn't seem to have backwards compatibility? If you have a PSP game you can't just download the same game for the Vita without paying?

Sorry for all the questions I've just used a DS before, and it seems a lot simpler. It seems the PSP 3000 would be the one to go with if not getting a Vita.

PSP support seems to be dwindling, the flip side being that it has a large game library. The Vita will eventually have a lot more good games, but right now most of them are ports.

Vita games are on that proprietary format, but as for the PSP games, you'd probably want to buy a decent sized memory card and yes, you'll have to download them.

"While looking at this apparently the Vita doesn't take game discs you just download games? And the games seem to cost more off the Playstation Network? How does the online work and downloading games work for this? You just connect to a wi fi spot so would my router work?"

The Vita uses cartridges but it supports PSP games digitally, so those RPGs you mentioned in the post are available digitally only on the Vita. The online works well from what I've experienced and downloading the games is pretty fast (when compared to the PS3). It'll all depend on your connection speed though.

"They still make some games for it right?"

Yes they still make games for it, but majority of the games releasing on it are in Japan and some happen to get localized (which is good!) so you can expect occasional releases here and there.

"Most new games seem to be download codes or something? But for older games it has PSP discs? The vita doesn't seem to have backwards compatibility? If you have a PSP game you can't just download the same game for the Vita without paying?"

As I mentioned before, the Vita does PSP games digitally only. However, Japan got the special treatment with the hardware to convert your PSP game into a digital copy you can just transfer to your Vita :( but yeah, if you want PSP games on Vita you'll have to download them digitally.

If you go with the Vita, I suggest picking up a 8-16GB card (or go all out and get a 32GB if you can find a good deal). If you want to go the cheaper route, I'd say go for the PSP and then you'll have a pretty established library of games that you can choose from. Vita has some pretty good RPGs coming to it soon (wish it was sooner, but I pre-ordered already) like Ragnarok Odyssey, Zero Escape, Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, Dragon's Crown, Soul Sacrifice, New Little King's Story (it's a sequel/remake to the Wii Exclusive because the developers found Vita's controls to be better for it according to an article I read).

Conclusion (Imo): If you have the cash for it, I'd say go with the Vita so you can have access to any future RPGs that will be releasing on it along side the Digital PSP copies of games you can pick up whenever you want. However, if you want to play those games cheaply, go for the PSP.

The PSP's less than $100, and add that with a huge library, you can't go wrong with this system.

But if you care only about the newer RPGs, go for the Vita.

Honestly I would stick with the PSP for now especially if there aren't many games you are interested in playing at the moment for the Vita. There are a TON of games to play on the PSP if you are just catching up now. If you stick with UMDs it will be much cheaper than digital PSP content that you are forced to by with the Vita.

I ended up selling my Vita because the games I played on it I found I'd rather play on my PS3 and the Vita exclusives at the moment are not that appealing (the library is extremely underwhelming). I also felt more comfortable carrying my PSP in my pocket than the Vita so there's that as well.

I will probably pick up a Vita once Monster Hunter and PSO2 come out for the system, but by then there will most likely be a price drop and/or a system revision.

IMO it makes no sense to get a PSP this late in the game, especially since the Vita supports virtually all of the PSP games. And the digital versions aren't that much more imo, especially since most of the RPG pubs put their games on sale pretty frequently (especially Atlus & NIS).

Also, Persona 4 Golden. ;)

I don't know most of the PSP I've looked at are still around 100-130 ish. Maybe the Vita would make more sense, but obviously would cost more.

Persona 4 is definitely appealing as I'm looking for RPGs of the like to make it worth it.

The drawback does seem that PSN games cost more it seems. Do they ever have sales or drop the prices for the digital games? You can download all or most PSP games for Vita? Looking at the playstation site some say Buy Disc or Buy Download. It seems you can still download the ones that say buy disc?

There does seem to be a big library of PSP games I could catch up cheaply with the PSP.

Seems there could be a lot to catch up on either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two words: Kmart clearance

If you have a Kmart with a PSP sitting in the case, they should be sub $100 by now if I remember correctly.

At least with the older PSP's you can get the UMD's and not have to pay for digital only versions of games at $7 or more each. Not to mention most places are clearing out PSP stock now, so you could get a decent deal on some of those same games.

The only reason to go PSP is if you want a portable homebrew machine.

Vita is the way to go, especially since PS+ is going to be coming to the VITA PSN store, that will also mean more regular deals.

Yeah as the above poster said, Vita is getting PS+ so you will now get more freebies on it. PSP won't have it as it's support is quickly diminishing. Sony's putting all it's cards in the Vita now in the portable market. It seems that the Vita will have exclusive content through + so that will give you free games to download on the vita, demos, minis, etc., and it just makes a great freaking companion for the PS3. I personally think right now the Vita has an AWESOME selection of games.

Many Ps1 classics
Minis
PSP games
Uncharted
Gravity Rush
Hot Shots Golf (if this is your thing, like me)
Rayman Origins (in what is in my opinion, the greatest platformer i've played in 5 years)
Dynasty Warriors Next
WipEout
Disgaea 3
Unit 13
Littlebigplanet
Fifa 13
Metal Gear Solid
MLB 12

Not to mention all the awesome games coming up Assassin's Creed, Ragnarok, Call of Duty, Persona, Sly Cooper, New Little King's Story, Playstation All Star Battle Royale, Ratchet and Clank, man it's going to be sweet!

You'll be able to catch a good deal on black friday, so you could wait til then, but I would definetly get one. The future looks incredibly bright for this awesome system, and I for one cannot wait to be a part of it!

I own both a Vita and several PSP's. FWIW if you want to play shit loads of games then get the PSP and hack it and get all the games you want for it.

The Vita is quickly going the way of the PSP Go. Sony thinks iOS and Android doesn't exist and there's very little to excite the masses. It's a shame cause some of the games on the Vita look absolutely stunning.

Sony is bleeding money so forget a price drop anytime soon. It's up to you though. :bouncy:

PSP is a great system, and the games can almost all be gotten really cheap for it atm. Plus there are a number of games that are only available on UMD and cant be bought through PSN (so you cant get them for Vita), including most Square-Enix games such as "Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep" and "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core". On top of that all models of PSP other then the first gen "1000" have video output so you can play your games on a normal TV (Vita lacks this feature entirely).

As far as upcoming releases, there aren't very many but yea a few are still coming out. Ones I know of that're coming out probably within the next few months: Ragnarok Tactics (Nov 6), Black Rock Shooter, Class of Heroes II, Generation of Chaos: Pandora’s Reflection (Feb 2013). PSP is sort of at the end of its life in terms of new releases (at least in English speaking countries), but the existing selection is very good and should keep you busy for some time to come.

[quote name='Rodster']if you want to play shit loads of games then get the PSP and hack it and get all the games you want for it.[/QUOTE]

Woo! Yah! Piracy!...I hope you get banned. The system is dead/dying prematurely in the west because of people like you. Japan still gets tons of support because they believe in paying for what they enjoy.

Grab a VITA, the PSP was great but the VITA is stunning. You can buy and download a bunch of older titles plus have the new stuff.

PS Vita needs more PS2 game support. There have been WAY TOO MANY games that my PSP plays that will NOT play on the Vita, yet.

[quote name='Fabrizo']Woo! Yah! Piracy!...I hope you get banned. The system is dead/dying prematurely in the west because of people like you. Japan still gets tons of support because they believe in paying for what they enjoy.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they really meant to hack it for the purpose of playing illegal copies of PSP games. I believe they meant that people use it for classic games via emulators on the system. Although that could be construed as piracy as well, I would never own a game via a digital/downloadable version via an emulator that I didn't also own a physical retail copy of unless it were a game I paid for/downloaded via PSN or other online store(like Tetris, for example).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't think they really meant to hack it for the purpose of playing illegal copies of PSP games. I believe they meant that people use it for classic games via emulators on the system. Although that could be construed as piracy as well, I would never own a game via a digital/downloadable version via an emulator that I didn't also own a physical retail copy of unless it were a game I paid for/downloaded via PSN or other online store(like Tetris, for example).[/QUOTE]
prize-draw-winners.jpg

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Two words: Kmart clearance

If you have a Kmart with a PSP sitting in the case, they should be sub $100 by now if I remember correctly.

At least with the older PSP's you can get the UMD's and not have to pay for digital only versions of games at $7 or more each. Not to mention most places are clearing out PSP stock now, so you could get a decent deal on some of those same games.[/QUOTE]

I checked Target and K-Mart had a couple but still sitting at 130. It would seem nice to get one and load up on some of the PSPs game library. If one could be found cheaply.

The Vita could seem nice, but I'd only really play RPGs and most seem for the PSP so far. I'm not sure if they are downloadable or what?

It would also seem kinda weird to not have a physical copy of the game. There is no physical copies at all with Vita?

I guess I'm leaning towards the Vita if I can download most of the PSP rpg's for it. Unless I could find a PSP cheap.

[quote name='birdyjuice']I checked Target and K-Mart had a couple but still sitting at 130. It would seem nice to get one and load up on some of the PSPs game library. If one could be found cheaply.

The Vita could seem nice, but I'd only really play RPGs and most seem for the PSP so far. I'm not sure if they are downloadable or what?

It would also seem kinda weird to not have a physical copy of the game. There is no physical copies at all with Vita?

I guess I'm leaning towards the Vita if I can download most of the PSP rpg's for it. Unless I could find a PSP cheap.[/QUOTE]

This thread may be of some use to you.

i bought a psp recently and i play it exclusively on my 46 inch tv with a ps3 controller, This feature is not available on the Vita. PSP has at least 10+ amazing RPG's if that's your thing. Well worth the price.

[quote name='birdyjuice']I checked Target and K-Mart had a couple but still sitting at 130. [/QUOTE]

Did you have the PSP 3000 Core
psp-system-3000.jpg
scanned at Kmart? The $84 price seems to be a universal price drop. If not, you should have it scanned.

[quote name='escoe']i bought a psp recently and i play it exclusively on my 46 inch tv with a ps3 controller, This feature is not available on the Vita. PSP has at least 10+ amazing RPG's if that's your thing. Well worth the price.[/QUOTE]

Ok so how does that work? I have the component cable thing but I do not know how to play with the ps3 controller? Any help would be appreciated

That list could be helpful thanks.

I don't know about GoHastings. Haven't really seen good things about them, and not sure I trust a used console from there.

I didn't have it scanned at K-Mart. The sign just said 130. There was a bundled one as well with some old madden game.

[quote name='jedimario']Ok so how does that work? I have the component cable thing but I do not know how to play with the ps3 controller? Any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

The PSPgo's bluetooth function.

[quote name='birdyjuice']That list could be helpful thanks.

I don't know about GoHastings. Haven't really seen good things about them, and not sure I trust a used console from there.

I didn't have it scanned at K-Mart. The sign just said 130. There was a bundled one as well with some old madden game.[/QUOTE]

Best to have all Kmart PSPs scanned if you want to know the actual price.

Question: If one were to get a Vita (since they already have a PSP), would anyone recommend a version? (i.e. Wifi vs 3G)?

Vita doesn't have video out.

Must have's for PSP:
Dissidia
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
The 3rd Birthday

PSP still has some life left to it. But it is quickly dwindling

I love my psp. I use it for the RPGS mostly and a few others. I rather play the ps1 classics on it than the vita especially since memory cards are much cheaper. Hell psps are cheap enough, get both.

I would go for a PSP 3000 right now. As long as you buy the games from the online store and not on disk, you can transfer the games to a Vita if you get one down the line. Occasionally the PSP store has sales, I think a couple months ago Atlus dropped many of their games 50% for a week. I think many of them had a permanent price drop too.

If you are curious what RPG PSP games to get... just read this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464557

[quote name='jedimario']Question: If one were to get a Vita (since they already have a PSP), would anyone recommend a version? (i.e. Wifi vs 3G)?[/QUOTE]

Free wifi is available all over the place, 3G connecticity is going to cost you $15 a month, so I would have to recommend wifi...

Vita will outright overshadow the PSP. PSP games will continue to be sold and promoted through the store. Vita has more features and longer battery life span. Otherwise, social networking is much easier on Vita as you can actually spot out other Vita users playing online from your location.

Longer battery life span? For real dude? 3,5-4h? My PSP lasts 4,5h playing game. I dont have Vita and I have no reason to buy it rite now as the post launch games library for Vita is poor, I heard in 2013 will have price drop.

bread's done
Back