CAGcast #298: Code Crackers

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Shipwreck is sick of Wii remotes, CheapyD is sick of NHL 13 issues, and Wombat is just sick.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]207[/podcast]
Download - 1 hours 20 minutes, 48MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

www.GoDaddy.com
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Super Snooper (Dami DJ vs The Oceans) - Love won't make me overwight (80s PSA)

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey cheapy, great show as always (well probably, i'm only five minutes in). wombat is awesome, dunno why so many people seem to hate him... :p

Also, yes, I would love a code for half minute hero on steam. :D

I want a half minute hero code, please, please, please

oh, and good show, wombat gets picked on too much. Feel better wombat.

However, I feel he was funnier before he had kids. I have kids too and I used to be funnier as well. I agree with the Tokyo Jungle review you mentioned. I played about an hour and haven't picked it up again.

Glad you had Tai play that Avengers game. Wombat never got Sabrina that Sesame street game did he?

Half minute hero code please.

Great show guys. I agree that there are too many games out, but I appreciate that you guys are still trying to cover as much of it as possible. It would be nice if you guys could still keep up with your predictions segment, but understandable if you're not able to do it all the time. As for wombat, if he's too sick, I wouldn't mind if he were to rest up and take a week off.

As for controller vs keyboard on pc, i believe that the controller has its place. For shooters, it definitely has to be mouse and kb, cmon ship, haha.

Oh and cheapy, if you could somehow announce on here as well when you will be streaming. I'm sure you can get more viewers simply by doing that.

Half minute hero code as well, pretty please.

hey cheapy why didn't you rip wombat a new one about eating a fillet mignon? on show 263 he called you a girl for liking that cut of meat. if you're wondering its at 1:06:25 #263 he is talking about lugers steakhouse

can I have a half minute hero code please?

[quote name='firemunkie']hey cheapy why didn't you rip wombat a new one about eating a fillet mignon? on show 263 he called you a girl for liking that cut of meat. if you're wondering its at 1:06:25 #263 he is talking about lugers steakhouse

can I have a half minute hero code please?[/QUOTE]

You need to know the rules, no Filet for dinner. This was a business lunch, smaller steak is the way to go.

just started listening regularly to the cagcast, and loving it! you guys get me through my early morning stock shifts and 40 min drives to work.

couldnt agree more with ship about the wiimote...it seems to me like nintendo isnt sure which way they want to go between the wiimotes, game pad, and classic controller..so why not offer three different controllers for one system? sucks...

if a half minute hero code still is available, would love to play-caught the live stream and seems like a great game!

A new cagcast, YAY! I have something to listen to during my cousin's wedding this weekend. Now, I just have to figure out how to get away with it considering I'm a groomsman... Tips?

smells like bs wombat.

also you complained about not having any use for the money in borderlands, I use it on the slot machines in moxxis bar in sanctuary. easy way to get eridium. but yea other then that's its pretty much useless

Interesting show, I think we all hate the Wii motes but in the same respect, I like that I can use the overpriced device that have been collecting dust in my living room. Do you find it weird that they never announced pricing of the accessories? I found it interesting the Wii U is stealing Sony's remote play strategy from it's psp/vita. They announced that it is probably best to play your COD type game using the 360 like controller but have yet to price said controller.
I played a lot of FIFA 13, best game in years in the FIFA series with the first touch controls making the game much more realistic.
No, I am not playing Borderlands 2, no interest in the game. It feels overhyped to me and after playing a lot of Borderlands, I really have no urg to play the 2nd.
I agree that NBA Live should wait for the next gen on consoles, maybe have a version on Wii U next year.

Cheapy, you think the PS3 suffered the most because it was released a year later? If anything, I would say the price was the big detractor for sales. Sony shot themselves in the foot, but it wasn't because of when it was released as much as how much it cost at release.

And even with those two problems, according to Wikipedia, it's not even 4 million sales less than the 360 worldwide as of early this year...hardly the stomp everyone makes it out to be...

New regular addition to the CAGCAST. . . "PC Snobbery!"

Moving forward, can it go without saying that the PC Version is superior. Not sure how much more i can take listening to cheapy say "the PC version looks SOOOOOOO much better." We get it, it's a given.

*** I am willing to bet that we will start to hear cheapy say "I haven't turned my 360 or ps3 in months" by next spring.

Great show once again.

Would the Wii U be more of a draw if NBA Baller Beats 2 was an exclusive and featured Mario? Might come with another basketball you had to put the Wiimote in for the dribble detection.

Liked Half Minute Hero on the PSP, would be nice to get a Steam code.

Why would he turn on his 360 or ps3? He has a PC. Like I don't get it. You want it to go unstated that it's superior, but object to him using it?

Anyone that still plays a 360/ps3 is a masochist anyway. I think that also explains why Wombat is obsessed with comments making fun of him.

Also I'd like a code for Half Minute Hero. For the PC.

Positive comment:

This show really needs a rant/soap box segment. It could be about any topic.
This is a fun podcast.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Glad you had Tai play that Avengers game. Wombat never got Sabrina that Sesame street game did he?[/QUOTE]
While the Kinect is out Cheapy should let Tai try Happy Action Theater. Huge hit with my 5-year old and her friends. Kinect Sesame Stree TV is also a home run.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Why would he turn on his 360 or ps3? He has a PC. Like I don't get it. You want it to go unstated that it's superior, but object to him using it?

Anyone that still plays a 360/ps3 is a masochist anyway. I think that also explains why Wombat is obsessed with comments making fun of him.[/QUOTE]
Yay. Someone has revived the platform flame wars again. Been missing from the comments for far too long. Now it's time for me to say how awesome what I have is and how everybody else is stupid. Wheee.

Now that Cheapy and Ship both do some PC gaming, I'd like to see a bit more coverage of PC indie bundles. Ship talked about the Indie Royale last week and that was pretty cool. So, more of that.

And yes, I'd like to be considered for some Half Minute Hero goodness. :)

Your opinions of the pacing in Borderlands mirror my own. I am playing with my brother, and often times I am able to slow down. However, when I'm playing with others it's hard to go through everything without feeling like you are holding the group back. Especially since they built little phrases like, “we’re waiting on you!” I am also conflicted by the addition of a more grandiose story. The flat story in the first Borderlands works well with the multiplayer. It doesn’t matter if you don’t hear every little bit of the story. I definitely get the feeling that I’m missing a lot of the story in this one. I may have to do a solo run just get all the little bits of story.

Thanks for the PC/Xbox360 comparison on Borderlands 2. I was trying to decide which system to get it for, but you guys sold me on the PC version for the better graphics and sub-par co-op experience in general. Also, I agree with Cheapy--FPS are almost always better with keyboard and mouse. How much did you guys spend on your PCs again? I want to build a new one to hopefully last me into the next console generation, but I'm not sure how much money I should put into it.

Thanks again for pumping out these shows every week, I always look forward to listening.

PS: Half-Minute Hero code would be cool.

Great show. The comments about the slow downloads on PS3 reminded me that I've been downloading Tokyo Jungle on-and-off for three days now. Maybe I'll actually get to play it next week...

I'd love to play the new One Piece game, but the inevitably slow download combined with having to clear out space will keep me from doing so for a while.

Please enter me in the Half Minute Hero contest. I absolutely loved the PSP version!

Interesting to hear you guys chat about wanting to rush through Borderlands when you are playing multiplayer. Then Shipwreck saying that's how he felt in Diablo 3. I had my first multiplayer session of Torchlight 2 this week (you guys need to play that - no chat on it?, seriously shits on D3) and everyone was doing the same. They wouldn't even stop to swop class based loot!

Yes, I'd love a Half-Minute Hero code.

Mentazm

I'm interested in a Half Minute Hero code :)

Great show guys. I've listened to several podcasts the past year, but I just wanted to mention some of the things that attract me to the CAGcast over some of my other regular gaming podcasts. I appreciate the members' more eclectic tastes at some points, and I'd love it if you all would talk more about certain games that many other reviewers will pass up (case in point: foozball and NHL with Cheapy, NBA Baller Beats and Tokyo Jungle with Shipwreck, um... Bratz Diamondz for Wombat? I kid I kid...) It's hard to find in depth conversations from the gaming industry for niche games at times, as it seems that every podcast talks about the same games week to week.

Also, if you're in the mood for over the top movies, I "recommend" Riki-Oh. It's a horrible yet hilarious movie with tons of violence... the catch is, not only is the violence unbelievable, I think it's intentionally so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh:_The_Story_of_Ricky

Comments:

- I'm surprised that Cheapy prefers mouse & keyboard to gamepad. Is that just a Borderlands thing? I can see the speed/efficiency advantages, but Cheapy never struck me as that type of gamer. I find a controller way more comfortable and only use M&K for macro & click-centric games (RTS, Blizzard stuff, etc.)

- You sound terrible, Wombat. Go to bed and get well soon.

- Thanks for going a whole show without mentioning doodie!

Obligatory chime-in for a half-minute hero code.

Show Notes

2:30 Watch This: The Cabin in the Woods
4:30 Watch This: Animated Wonder Woman
5:45 Haven't Yet Watched This: The Dark Knight Returns
7:30 Haven't Yet Watched This: The Avengers
8:45 Show Feedback: Wiimotes/WiiU
16:45 New Releases
17:00 Dead or Alive 5
19:00 FIFA
22:00 The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
23:15 Angry Birds Trilogy
24:45 Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
25:15 Tokyo Jungle
25:30 One Piece: Pirate Warriors
29:15 Darksiders II DLC
30:00 WoW: Mists of Panderia
30:15 Half Minute Hero something-or-other
34:15 Borderlands 2
45:30 Resident Evil 6
48:30 Avengers: Battle For Earth
52:00 NHL 13
53:15 NBA Live 13
53:30 2013 - NextGen for Xbox but not PS?
55:00 EA losses due to 2 cancelled NBA Live games?
57:45 Black Ops 2 Zombie mode
1:01:30 Forza Horizon (with a $50 season pass)
1:03:30 Mass Effect Trilogy
1:05:30 WiiU launch lineup
1:09:15 Iphone 5
1:12:15 Cagbag: PAX Australia
1:16:00 Elgato HD capture device
1:18:15 CAG site update
1:19:00 Mrs Ship on Cagcast to discuss Borderlands 2

Shipwreck: if you're using wi-fi, airport wi-fi, then of course your download is gonna be slow. Why not just hook up a cable instead?

And keep in mind that when you're playing a game on the PS3 that has online functions/modes, the PS3 pauses your download (it'll say 'pending' instead of downloading). That might be what's making your downloads even slower. Try playing a game that doesn't have online when you're downloading a game.

P.S. I'd like to win a code for Half-Minute Hero. To Cheapy/anyone who watched Drive, did you notice there's an achievement in the game called 'A Real Hero and a Real Human Being' ?

[quote name='Falion']Great show. The comments about the slow downloads on PS3 reminded me that I've been downloading Tokyo Jungle on-and-off for three days now. Maybe I'll actually get to play it next week...
[/QUOTE]

How big is that game? I downloaded and installed the FIFA 13 demo using wifi from PSN on Saturday in 10 minutes and it was 1.5 GB.

I don't like using the Wiimote as a controller, either. Even for something like RE 4 where it made the shooting more accurate, my overall performance suffered compared to being able to hold a nice, proper control pad with both hands. So I won't be buying any Wii U games that force you to use the Wiimote to play single player. Not sure how many of those there though, outside of Pikmin 3.

[quote name='24thdoor']Comments:

- I'm surprised that Cheapy prefers mouse & keyboard to gamepad. Is that just a Borderlands thing? I can see the speed/efficiency advantages, but Cheapy never struck me as that type of gamer. I find a controller way more comfortable and only use M&K for macro & click-centric games (RTS, Blizzard stuff, etc.)[/QUOTE]

I think Cheapy was a big Tribes player back in the day, so he has a history of playing PC shooters with mouse & kb.

1. I enjoy the dynamic of this show a lot. And I dont know what people are saying about wombat... he is a joy.

2. I know this is said often, but I honestly feel most people take a huge dump on ps3 often. I dont know why. I love my ps3 and I much prefer it. I love not paying for basic service. I have PSN Plus and it makes it even better. I understand the download speeds are not as good as xbox, but I never have had to wait 9 hours for anything to download. Oh well, too each their own.

3. I am with Shipwreck on this one. I think they are going to hold off for a little while. May not be a full year, but a little time to see what Xbox brings to the table. It may put them behind the curve, but they can create a potentially better system or see what steps they need to do to destroy xbox this time around.

Good show guys, as usual. My comment is for Cheapy, but it's regarding your interview/game session with Esteban. It seemed like you were a little nervous/weird in your gameplay/interview with him, it came off a little awkward, did he fart?
Anyways, be more relaxed next time!

And yes I am interested in the Half minute hero code plz!

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Great show once again.

Would the Wii U be more of a draw if NBA Baller Beats 2 was an exclusive and featured Mario? Might come with another basketball you had to put the Wiimote in for the dribble detection.

Liked Half Minute Hero on the PSP, would be nice to get a Steam code.[/QUOTE]

I think the whole basketball thing is too much already, putting a Wiimote inside a basketball and having a dancing Mario? Too much WTF for a human to handle IMO.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your NHL 13 issues Cheapy, although I don't really care for sports games, I know you're a die hard hockey fan and having region issues for multiplayer just blows. Playing sports games (or any multiplayer-heavy game for that matter) only in single player is just depressing...

Anyway if you're giving away Half Minute Hero steam codes, or any other codes for that matter, I would be thrilled. I too was a fan of the PSP original. The game made fun of every single JRPG cliche there is (eg "Oh look at me, I'm the villain of this story. I"m a male with long girly hair and everything I say is melodramatic. DOT DOT DOT....").

It has been a welcome change to the podcast to have Cheapy and Shipwreck talking about their PC gaming experiences. As a lifelong PC gamer it is great to see that Cheapy and Shipwreck not only bought gaming computers, but also have discovered why so many of us are passionate about the platform. My one question is looking back on all of the episodes where you told listeners to 'pretend we live in a world where computer games don't exist' do you regret taking that stance, and are there any games you missed on the PC that you are trying to play now?

And yes, a code for half minute hero would be welcome.

Love the BL2 talk. I play on PC, but I have to play on low, so I don't get the graphical experience. But I don't care, I still enjoy it immensely. (And I'm used to playing PC games on low, since I've always been a PC gamer with a low-end PC.)
Personally, I wouldn't want to play BL2 if I wasn't playing with my friends. But that's the difference - I'm playing with friends. We purposely go slow so we don't miss any story, chests, loot, etc. And we give each other time to compare items for upgrades and stuff. Pretty much, we make sure that everything you listed as negative doesn't occur. But, yeah, I wouldn't want to play with randoms, but I also wouldn't want to play alone.
I'm playing as Zer0, but I didn't want to go melee. I personally went the middle tree, which just gives him buffs in general. I was planning on going full sniper, but I figured that the middle tree still allows me to snipe a lot but buffs other things, too. I'm surprised that Ship has only tried out the melee. I like the melee, but I don't want to solely rely on it.
Singularity grenades sound awesome. We haven't encountered them yet, since as I said, we're going slow. Can't wait.

I'd like a chance at the Half-Minute Hero codes, please.

I laughed a little when Shipwreck suggested a new ME3 ending to help sell the trilogy. It'd work :) I loved the positive WiiU discussion, completely opposite from the majority of what I've been seeing/hearing from people. In the same train of thought, and for my constructive commenting, I haven't listened to a whole lot of CAGcasts but the ones I've heard are all pretty light and positive. It's nice to hear gaming discussion that doesn't focus on every negative aspect of every game ever made.

I'd like a chance at Half-Minute Hero if that's still going on.
Cheapy you should do more livestreams, the last portion of your show with Esteban was hilarious.

I was not in agreement with Shipwreck about the WiiU coming with 1 gamepad controller until he made his point more clear. Yes, a lot of us are done with wiimotes and that dumb nun-chuck. But that's what made Nintendo their money and they don't want to phase that gameplay out yet. I had to use my Gamecube controller for Smash Bros. Donkey Kong Country with sideways wiimote sucked, why wasn't Classic Controller Pro compatible? And Zelda with nun-chuck was torture as I'm left handed.

In short, the WiiU should come with gamepad + classic xbox ripoff controller too then. Who wants to play Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, etc with a clunky oversized ipad controller? Means playing 3rd party games will have to pay extra for a better controller, not just over priced games that came out a year ago on cheaper consoles.

Money in Borderlands 2 works on slots sure, I've spent about $70,000 on them so far. But they really nerfed the vending machings, that used to be a good use for money. A lot of dialogue can be missed in the heat of fire fights, so I'm glad I have a solo character farther along than my separate co-op character so I don't miss anything.

Wombat, get well soon. A full week+ of sick sucks.

Cheapy, since you are using Mouse+Keyboard for BL2, I assume you gave up playing PC games on your TV now? I find sitting at a desk not fun for gaming sessions.

Would like a Steam code for Half Minute Hero if possible, thanks!

Really nice podcast, as usual! Nice to hear someone else uses KBM for BL2 as well. I can aim so much better with a mouse :)
I'd love a half-minute hero code if they're still available, thanks!

Seems like everyone got sick around the time Borderlands came out. I sure did. Funny how staying up way too late for too many days in a row can do that to you.

I had the same problems playing co-op BL 1 as you're having now. I got in late with a pal who was already pretty far into the game so he just ran through the early missions. So far, I've lucked out playing with good friends who are willing to take time, explore, and discuss. Makes all the difference.

Also, put me in for a Half Minute Hero code. That game looks cool.

Not to get all "leave Wombat alone!" here but seriously, how is it that we're on episode #298 and people are still complaining about Wombat? If he weren't on the CAGcast, each episode would just devolve into discussions about obscure documentaries and Baller Beats. Shipwreck would have a new segment each week called "Eat This Bitches" where he discusses some weird food that Cincinnatians enjoy. I'm not sure I want to live in that world and neither do any of you. Think about it.

I completely get the aversion to the Wiimotes but look at it from a parent's standpoint. You've plunged hundreds into your child's Wii system--buying everything from games to extra remotes to a plastic balance board--and now your child wants a brand new system. That purchase looks a heck of a lot nicer if you find out that all those extra Wiimotes you bought aren't just going into the trash.

You guys are like a bunch of grade schoolers arguing the Genesis vs the Super Nintendo. And for a person who likes playing both Nintendo games and non-Nintendo games, you're making it difficult to enjoy the show.

Every console and every game is flawed in some way. But we look past it when it's something we like. I get why you're unhappy with Nintendo, but I don't get the fuss. It's like someone complaining about Baller Beats because you have to bounce a basketball and use kinect and follow the beat. Nintendo is what it is.

And for the Wiimotes, Nintendo is putting out that pro controller so you can just use that. You won't have to use a Wiimote at all.

[quote name='buttle']Every console and every game is flawed in some way. But we look past it when it's something we like. I get why you're unhappy with Nintendo, but I don't get the fuss. It's like someone complaining about Baller Beats because you have to bounce a basketball and use kinect and follow the beat. Nintendo is what it is.

And for the Wiimotes, Nintendo is putting out that pro controller so you can just use that. You won't have to use a Wiimote at all.[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree with what you're saying. It does bother me a little that the trio is blatantly dismissing the Wii U and criticizing everything about it, though they have certain points. However, I'm actually the one person who really likes the Wiimote. I feel like playing Zelda/Mario with wiimote + nunchuk is enjoyable, while 2D games with the Wiimote sideways is UNMATCHED.

For the record, I also think the Xbox 360 is the best controller by far. Using the Wiimote is not necessarily more enjoyable than a traditional controller, but I don't complain about it at all and it's certainly not a valid reason to refuse playing those games. However, I do have to agree that the Wii had a design inconvenience that unfortunately is going to be even worse on the Wii U, and that is:

THERE ARE TOO MANY CONTROL METHODS! NO STANDARDIZATION

Let's see, we have:
Wiimote
Wiimote sideways
Wiimote + Nunchuk
Wiimote + Classic Controller
Gamecube Controller (on older Wiis)
Wiimote Plus
Wiimote Plus + Nunchuk

And now also:
Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Pro Controller

I'm not even counting the Wii Balance Board, or the 1000's of useless plastic attachments (wii zapper *cough cough*)

While the Wii/Wii U consoles may be small in size, that extra space will be taken up by the ridiculous amount of plastic controllers you need to have access to every game. As the CAG crew pointed out, if you want to play your Xbox, you only need the Xbox controller and you are set to go.

In the end, it would have been much worse, I think, if Nintendo did not support the old Wii controllers. There would be much more criticism. So they made the logical choice, however it doesn't make this situation any less annoying.

Cheapy. You're always slamming on the PS3 download times, but then you're throwing out some ridiculous time frames on how long it takes to download something. The PS3 does download slower than the 360, seems around 3/4 the speed, but are you running 1Mb/s download or something, because the times you mention seem a really long time?

The last large title I remember downloading was Ratchet and Clank All 4 One at 14GB, which was one of the offered games on PS+(and also sucks balls btw,) but I think it finished downloading in four hours on a fat PS3. It's quite a large file so it seems like a reasonable time. My download speed is 20Mb/s.

The wireless sucks though. Shipwreck should do whatever possible to get the PS3 wired. I rearranged where everything was located so I could get my router closer to my PS3 just so I could run wired because of how bad the wireless is.

As for Half Minute Hero, I'd like to get a copy.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']

THERE ARE TOO MANY CONTROL METHODS! NO STANDARDIZATION

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm kind of hoping that the Wiimote does fade away, just for the sake of having a standard. Unless a game is made specifically for it like boom blox or something.

Though I would love it if Nintendo came out with a perfect 2d platformer controller. With just the basic SNES buttons but a more confortable shape.

[quote name='kupomogli']The wireless sucks though. Shipwreck should do whatever possible to get the PS3 wired. I rearranged where everything was located so I could get my router closer to my PS3 just so I could run wired because of how bad the wireless is.[/QUOTE]

The wifi performance seems good on my PS3 slim, so maybe they improved the antenna from the one in the original PS3.

Cheapy should probably get RE 6 when it comes out on the PC sometime next year with much improved graphics running at 60 fps. As you guys seemed to realize, Arthur Gies is full of shit. He hypes himself up as being a harsh reviewer, and then hands out 9s to unremarkable games like Transfomers War For Cybertron. Every review he produces seems to be the result of a predetermined agenda.

bread's done
Back