Sony PULSE wireless stereo headset - Elite Edition - $137.54 @ Amazon

I got this from newegg, it is waiting for me right now at home. The trigger for me was the 3.5mm jack in the usb dongle that will allow me to use it for the TV as well. It also plugs hardwired into any mp3 player or other source and can be used like any other cans. Given what similar stuff like Beats by Dre, etc costs, this is not a bad deal. One pro reviewer said the bass response on the Sony's is better than beats. My other headphones just died on me so the timing was right and I pulled the trigger on full price which I rarely every do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want these too! I have the first pair and I have absolutely no complaints about them. They have way better sound than my TV speakers and are great for gaming at night so I don't get any wife aggro.

I'm intrigued by this PULSE technology though. That is a really cool idea. It's also a big plus that these can be used with my Vita.

I also read that even when the batteries are dead, they still can function with your other devices just like any normal headphones would.

Seems like the price dropped about $6 since earlier today.

Here's the blog post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...tereo-headset-elite-edition-coming-this-fall/

There are some reputable eBay sellers (high feedback) that are selling them new for around $130 if that is a better option for anyone

[quote name='barrit'] It's also a big plus that these can be used with my Vita.

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that you can connect these to the Vita with a cable or do these headphones work wirelessly with the Vita?

Hopefully this means a price drop or clearance for the old headset, don't need the new features or anything. Need a good wireless set for late night gaming, come on best buy, lets make some room for these.

[quote name='brandtron8000']Hopefully this means a price drop or clearance for the old headset, don't need the new features or anything. Need a good wireless set for late night gaming, come on best buy, lets make some room for these.[/QUOTE]

When you guys say the old headset, are you referring to that not-so-old playstation version that came out maybe.... A year ago ?

[quote name='WNYX585AM']Do you mean that you can connect these to the Vita with a cable or do these headphones work wirelessly with the Vita?[/QUOTE]

No, these headphones have a built-in audio jack and they come with a cable to connect to your Vita. The first pair didn't have an audio jack.

[quote name='TheOmegaSoldier']When you guys say the old headset, are you referring to that not-so-old playstation version that came out maybe.... A year ago ?[/QUOTE]

I am. I guess I shouldn't say old. I should probably say previous set lol.

[quote name='TheOmegaSoldier']When you guys say the old headset, are you referring to that not-so-old playstation version that came out maybe.... A year ago ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, these are the new hotness, even though like you said the others aren't that old really.

[quote name='Rainman']will these work on xbox and pc as well?[/QUOTE]

Platform: Windows Vista / XP, Mac, Sony PSP, PlayStation 3

This looks like an awesome headset. I'm just wondering if the virtual surround only works on PS3 games like last time, or if you can use it with movies and PC stuff too. It would suck if it became a worthless feature, especially since the PS4 will probably be out with it's own headset next year.

[quote name='sirdan357']This looks like an awesome headset. I'm just wondering if the virtual surround only works on PS3 games like last time, or if you can use it with movies and PC stuff too. It would suck if it became a worthless feature, especially since the PS4 will probably be out with it's own headset next year.[/QUOTE]

One of the software updates, 4.20, made it so the movies were in surround sound on the PS3. I don't know how good it was though.

I've been putting these through their paces, and while they're good, they're not great. Sound quality is good enough, though it seems a bit flat compared to other headsets without bass impact turned on.

If you want to use them with Vita or 3DS I'd get something else because they lose all their features (even volume control) when plugged in via the 3.5mm jack. If you use the usb dongle in conjunction with the 3.5mm it'll work fine, but then you lose portability sense you need a usb power source near you at all times.

I'll be happy to answer questions if you guys have any.

I just got my pair. The bass impact is a really impressive feature. I am about to watch RE: Damnation so I'll see how well VSS works with that.

[quote name='barrit']I really want these too! I have the first pair and I have absolutely no complaints about them. They have way better sound than my TV speakers and are great for gaming at night so I don't get any wife aggro.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, after reading that, your avatar makes a lot of sense. Maybe you should hold out for noise canceling :applause: .

:D

I would totally get a set if I didn't just drop $120 on some Audio Technicas and another $70 on the DSS last summer. There's way too many cords coming out of my playstation but I don't wake the wife and kids.

Edit: i do have an inquiry though. It can run via 3.5, USB or wireless? What kind of batteries and how many does it take

[quote name='Fabrizo']I've been putting these through their paces, and while they're good, they're not great. Sound quality is good enough, though it seems a bit flat compared to other headsets without bass impact turned on.

If you want to use them with Vita or 3DS I'd get something else because they lose all their features (even volume control) when plugged in via the 3.5mm jack. If you use the usb dongle in conjunction with the 3.5mm it'll work fine, but then you lose portability sense you need a usb power source near you at all times.

I'll be happy to answer questions if you guys have any.[/QUOTE]

Thats what the portable vita usb charger is for! I kid I kid, that's kinda lame, considering that the vita support blutooth stereo audio support. I don't know why Sony just doesn't make them with built in blutooth, is it a bandwidth issue with the audio or something?

[quote name='shadowkast']I would totally get a set if I didn't just drop $120 on some Audio Technicas and another $70 on the DSS last summer. There's way too many cords coming out of my playstation but I don't wake the wife and kids.

Edit: i do have an inquiry though. It can run via 3.5, USB or wireless? What kind of batteries and how many does it take[/QUOTE]

It's rechargeable like the ps3 controllers and previous headset. The USB is a dongle to connect with your ps3 wirelessly.

Sweeet..I love the other one sony made for the ps3. Everything about it is great. One bad thing was that I could not pair two of them to one ps3. Sucked balls. Would only work on the first one that connected with it so had to sell the second one to a friend. Anyone have two of these and tried using it on one ps3? Or using the pulse and the previous one simultaneously? Also, why USB? Seems a bit old school now since most things are blue tooth but I imagine they did it on purpose so you can't pair it with mobile devices. Too bad the price isn't as good as the first one was when it first launched. The MSRP for that was a 100 and preorder price I believe was 65. Anyways, I am in for one. Thanks.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Sweeet..I love the other one sony made for the ps3. Everything about it is great. One bad thing was that I could not pair two of them to one ps3. Sucked balls. Would only work on the first one that connected with it so had to sell the second one to a friend. Anyone have two of these and tried using it on one ps3? Or using the pulse and the previous one simultaneously? Also, why USB? Seems a bit old school now since most things are blue tooth but I imagine they did it on purpose so you can't pair it with mobile devices. Too bad the price isn't as good as the first one was when it first launched. The MSRP for that was a 100 and preorder price I believe was 65. Anyways, I am in for one. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You can only use one at a time with the ps3. It was the same with the previous set as well.

Using these right now and I love them! The BassImpact provides the user with another level of immersion.

[quote name='barrit']You can only use one at a time with the ps3. It was the same with the previous set as well.[/QUOTE]

Bummer...Thanks, man.

How is the headset compared to the Tritton 720s? I am in the market for a new headset for gaming/blu-rays.

I know that these work with Blu ray movies, but does the virtual surround sound also work with Netflix and Hulu?

They couldn't come out in the worst time. Just like last year, I'll tell the wifey what I want for Christmas.

I've had these for over a week from newegg and they are much better than the previous model. I also got them for the same price with a newegg promos. Best part is that they also work wireless with tv. Granted you have to wire the 3.5 mm jack to the dongle for it to work, but so far it works well though not a true surround sound.

[quote name='jasnmb']I know that these work with Blu ray movies, but does the virtual surround sound also work with Netflix and Hulu?[/QUOTE]

Yep!

[quote name='styl3s']How is the headset compared to the Tritton 720s? I am in the market for a new headset for gaming/blu-rays.[/QUOTE]

I've owned both and these are far superier to the 720's.

[quote name='Fabrizo']I've been putting these through their paces, and while they're good, they're not great. Sound quality is good enough, though it seems a bit flat compared to other headsets without bass impact turned on.

I'll be happy to answer questions if you guys have any.[/QUOTE]

Update: I don't know why, but my headset now works properly when wired. Maybe it just needed to be broke in first before volume/bass impact became available? So I guess just ignore what I said earlier.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']These will be $100 or less very soon.[/QUOTE]
That would be the sweet price tag for me, I love the design of this headset, very tempted to buy it at $130.

@serpentor, if you like it then buy it. I bought a pair from ebay and use it almost every night when I am watching the TV and the wife sleeps. (hooked up the usb dongle to the tv and wired the 3.5mm cable from the TV headset output to the dongle and everything seems to be working).

Just out of curiosity but can these possibly work for the Xbox somehow? I have the lesser version of this headset and was thinking about selling those on Craigslist and returning my turtle beach x12 and get these. Probably a stupid question but just wondering as these have an output plug in on the USB dongle

[quote name='JohnWayne']Just out of curiosity but can these possibly work for the Xbox somehow? I have the lesser version of this headset and was thinking about selling those on Craigslist and returning my turtle beach x12 and get these. Probably a stupid question but just wondering as these have an output plug in on the USB dongle[/QUOTE]

According to Destructoid they work on the xbox but not all functions work. Heres the link to the article.

bread's done
Back