Does this happen to you on Virtual Console?

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Wondering if this is only my Wii or my HDTV or only Chrono Trigger or because I use composite cables? I bought my first Virtual Console game, Chrono Trigger. I expected it to be more pixelated on my HDTV, but there are other things that seem strange which I don't remember from the SNES version.

When I walk fast left to right anywhere in the game there is this weird visual effect. The middle of the screen looks fairly normal but the left and right sides have this weird thing that happens. It's hard to describe, but it's almost if when the graphics are in the middle they get kind of scrunched up horizontally and when they get on the left/right sides of the screen they get stretched out.

Another thing is the framerate is not good in some scrolling parts like the intro cutscene in the court room for the trial, but that may be same as SNES.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Old games usually have problems on HDTVs, especially with the composite hookups I hear.[/QUOTE]

From what I've now read it doesn't sound like composite would cause this scrolling problem. But thanks, hopefully someone else knows.

Super Mario Bros. 3 has the same visual effect on VC. I think it's normal for some older games to do that.

[quote name='J7.']It's hard to describe, but it's almost if when the graphics are in the middle they get kind of scrunched up horizontally and when they get on the left/right sides of the screen they get stretched out. [/QUOTE]

Does the game fill the screen, or are there black bars on the left and right? If the game fills the screen, it's creating the extra side space by stretching it. There might be a setting in the game or on the Wii to change it, or it might be one of the "zoom" options for your tv that changes it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Super Mario Bros. 3 has the same visual effect on VC. I think it's normal for some older games to do that.[/QUOTE]

Normal as in only on Virtual Console? Because this definitely never happened on the SNES version of Chrono Trigger. It is very very annoying and I'm shocked no one has previously mentioned Chrono Trigger having this problem on Virtual Console. It's bad enough to justify paying $60 or whatever it is to get the actual SNES version instead.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Does the game fill the screen, or are there black bars on the left and right? If the game fills the screen, it's creating the extra side space by stretching it. There might be a setting in the game or on the Wii to change it, or it might be one of the "zoom" options for your tv that changes it.[/QUOTE]

It has black bars and I can fix it with my TV settings to get full picture. But the scrolling problem happens on every TV setting.

bread's done
Back