Warner Bros extends digital copy codes until 2017

deejay726

CAGiversary!
I thought id just put this out here. Warner bros has extended expired digital copy codes until 2017. When i started puchasing blu ray movies i didnt know what they were so some of them had expired. I recently have been able to recive another code from warner bros emailing them the expired code. What sucks is i threw some of them away

Are you trying to convey that WB is automatically extending all of their codes until 2017 or that we, as consumers of a product that should never expire, can complain to WB about it and they'll give us a new code good for a few more years?

[quote name='Kerig']Are you trying to convey that WB is automatically extending all of their codes until 2017 or that we, as consumers of a product that should never expire, can complain to WB about it and they'll give us a new code good for a few more years?[/QUOTE]

you can google it and get some info online. i read of some codes that were expired did work. A couple of mine that expired i had to email warner bros and they did send me new codes. I still have some of the digital copy discs but threw away the codes because they had expired and didnt work then wb extended them.

Why the hell would digital codes ever expire? I've never used any of mine but if I went to put them on my phone or tablet and they didn't work I'd be so pissed off. This is why after Blu-ray I just stopped. Only a handful of movies I've seen in 3D have actually been worth it anyway. I'll wait until everything sorts itself out in a couple years.

[quote name='Lucky13']Why the hell would digital codes ever expire? I've never used any of mine but if I went to put them on my phone or tablet and they didn't work I'd be so pissed off. This is why after Blu-ray I just stopped. Only a handful of movies I've seen in 3D have actually been worth it anyway. I'll wait until everything sorts itself out in a couple years.[/QUOTE]
They expire because digital isn't physical.

Services change and shut down, distribution rights/copyrights change etc. It's why i don't care for digital and always give away my digital copies, i never saw a point in digital when every blu-ray comes with a DVD copy and i can just make my own digital copy that will work on EVERYTHING instead of just WMP or ITUNES etc. from ripping my own blu-ray/dvd. I always rip my BR in 1080 and put it on my WDTV HDD or one of the many externals.

Is ripping in the "grey" area with these studios? I guess, but i own the film and i can do a better job at creating a universal digital copy than the shit they give you and i never have to worry about a service closing down or losing rights or have to worry about having internet to get it.

Trying the Windows version now, it seemed to take the code when I entered it, but now I'm stuck on a loading screen...

People bitch about UV all the time, but redeeming movies is much easier than this crap

[quote name='Lucky13']Why the hell would digital codes ever expire? I've never used any of mine but if I went to put them on my phone or tablet and they didn't work I'd be so pissed off. This is why after Blu-ray I just stopped. Only a handful of movies I've seen in 3D have actually been worth it anyway. I'll wait until everything sorts itself out in a couple years.[/QUOTE]

The digital codes have some value. People sell them on eBay. If you haven't used any I would try to get something for them before they expire

It's not just Blu-ray.

Just as an example, I finally got around to playing Yakuza 3 last month, which I bought NEW, and the DLC code that came with it was expired. This is something that I paid for, but I was punished for not opening the shrinkwrap sooner.

[quote name='deejay726']The digital codes have some value. People sell them on eBay. If you haven't used any I would try to get something for them before they expire[/QUOTE]

Say you redeem a digital code on your tablet. Is it later transferable to another tablet you get down the line or is it a one time use? I've obviously never redeemed a code so I have no idea if it is stored on some studio database or what and if you are able to put it on your phone as well as tablet.

[quote name='Vegan']It's not just Blu-ray.

Just as an example, I finally got around to playing Yakuza 3 last month, which I bought NEW, and the DLC code that came with it was expired. This is something that I paid for, but I was punished for not opening the shrinkwrap sooner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's bullshit, I've had it happen to me too. That's why when I hear the industry bitch about "losing money" I could care less. They can shove it with all their DLC crap, like how they release DLC right when a game comes out. The fact that Microsoft and Sony are talking about making used games obsolete in their next gen systems is a joke.

[quote name='Lucky13']
Yeah that's bullshit, I've had it happen to me too. That's why when I hear the industry bitch about "losing money" I could care less. They can shove it with all their DLC crap, like how they release DLC right when a game comes out. The fact that Microsoft and Sony are talking about making used games obsolete in their next gen systems is a joke.[/QUOTE]

What bummed me out was that the DLC in question isn't even available for purchase. It's exclusive to people who bought it new, WHICH I DID, I just didn't play it soon enough for their liking. So that's a chunk of game content that's completely lost. It's a real shame.

[quote name='Lucky13']Say you redeem a digital code on your tablet. Is it later transferable to another tablet you get down the line or is it a one time use? I've obviously never redeemed a code so I have no idea if it is stored on some studio database or what and if you are able to put it on your phone as well as tablet.

Yeah that's bullshit, I've had it happen to me too. That's why when I hear the industry bitch about "losing money" I could care less. They can shove it with all their DLC crap, like how they release DLC right when a game comes out. The fact that Microsoft and Sony are talking about making used games obsolete in their next gen systems is a joke.[/QUOTE]

I download most of mine to itunes. Its not a one time thing with apple. You can put the movie on the iphone iPad or ipod touch. You can put it on as many apple devices as you want as long as its linked to the same itunes account

Digital Copies are awesome. They save me 5 bucks or so on the blu ray when I sell the code.

Think Positively Page people.

Digital copies aren't a bad thing, they're a good thing.

ddp_awesomeface_display_image.jpg

So my digital copy code for Inception worked, but it wouldn't redeem through iTunes (still said it was expired). I had to do it through WB's support website by following the directions on the insert, and then the site issued a working iTunes code. Downloaded and works fine, thanks OP.

Dark Knight wants me to install some sort of downloader off their site. Why doesn't this redeem the same way the itunes ones do?

[quote name='Woodlands']Dark Knight wants me to install some sort of downloader off their site. Why doesn't this redeem the same way the itunes ones do?[/QUOTE]

I was only prompted to dl other stuff with the WMP version, not the iTunes version. Neither worked anyway.

[quote name='D0RC']What's their website and/or email? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

www.wbdigitalcopy.com/support/

This is the link for support. It asks you for the movie and the old code. You input the old code and the system verifies if its legit and if it is it issues you a new code. you might have to copy and paste the link

[quote name='Jumpman 23']Ok I used link and it asks me for movie but it doesn't ask me for the old code what am I doing wrong????[/QUOTE]

after you input the movie. there are three options click error 101. on the next page there is a support link in the last line under the description for 101

[quote name='ssjmichael']I was only prompted to dl other stuff with the WMP version, not the iTunes version. Neither worked anyway.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. A lot of WB movies only have WMP digital copies, not iTunes. I guess all the ones I've redeemed in the past were coincidentally iTunes copies.

Any way we can request that they remove the ridiculous fucking condition that I have to have a disc drive to redeem my DIGITAL COPY!?!?!? I have about 5 digital copies that I haven't been able to redeem because I don't have a computer with an optical drive. It is completely absurd.

[quote name='steve_dave']Any way we can request that they remove the ridiculous fucking condition that I have to have a disc drive to redeem my DIGITAL COPY!?!?!? I have about 5 digital copies that I haven't been able to redeem because I don't have a computer with an optical drive. It is completely absurd.[/QUOTE]

If it's for the iTunes version, no. The digital copy is not downloaded from iTunes it's transferred from the disc to your iTunes library. More recent digital copies have been downloadable but in the past they were transferred via the disc.

[quote name='steve_dave']Any way we can request that they remove the ridiculous fucking condition that I have to have a disc drive to redeem my DIGITAL COPY!?!?!? I have about 5 digital copies that I haven't been able to redeem because I don't have a computer with an optical drive. It is completely absurd.[/QUOTE]

Some of them you don't have too. Input the code where you would redeem a iTunes card

I did. I have copies of Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers and both Iron Man flicks that i have tried and cant use and i just got a new code for Watchmen and it still doesn't work. I'm sad...

I have one digital copy that I can't redeem for a similar reason (not having the disc available). iTunes just complains "You must insert your Digital Copy DVD into your computer in order to redeem this code" if I try to just redeem it straight. Oh well.

The thing I don't like about the ones on iTunes is if you have to re install windows and iTunes you no longer have the movie. This has happened to me. The good thing is all you need to do is email apple support and they will send you new codes. I have just never bothered to check to see if they work so I have a few emails with movie codes for them. I would rather them be on some other service that I can view them on my Android phone because I don't use my iPod Touch.

Back on topic I may have to look through my movie collection this weekend to see if I have any unused codes.

[quote name='sendme']The thing I don't like about the ones on iTunes is if you have to re install windows and iTunes you no longer have the movie. This has happened to me. The good thing is all you need to do is email apple support and they will send you new codes. I have just never bothered to check to see if they work so I have a few emails with movie codes for them. I would rather them be on some other service that I can view them on my Android phone because I don't use my iPod Touch.

Back on topic I may have to look through my movie collection this weekend to see if I have any unused codes.[/QUOTE]

I back up to an external hard drive. After a reinstall you can just move them to the desktop HDD again and it's fine. It's generally good to have an external hard drive anyway so you don't lose your pictures, music, and other stuff.

[quote name='sendme']The thing I don't like about the ones on iTunes is if you have to re install windows and iTunes you no longer have the movie. This has happened to me. The good thing is all you need to do is email apple support and they will send you new codes. I have just never bothered to check to see if they work so I have a few emails with movie codes for them. I would rather them be on some other service that I can view them on my Android phone because I don't use my iPod Touch.

Back on topic I may have to look through my movie collection this weekend to see if I have any unused codes.[/QUOTE]

I assumed the download previous purchases option on the purchased page would let you do it. It shows all of my movies/tv shows/etc, even the ones that I redeemed/purchased on my old laptop.

[quote name='DWulf']I assumed the download previous purchases option on the purchased page would let you do it. It shows all of my movies/tv shows/etc, even the ones that I redeemed/purchased on my old laptop.[/QUOTE]

That would work now, but previously movies were not available to re-download from Previous Purchases. Also if iTunes removes the movie from the iTunes store you will not be able to re-download at that point. The same with any media that they have on the store. As long as you still have the original licensed file and are logged in with your iTunes account even if they remove the movie from the iTunes store you'll still be able to play the movie.

This is really a problem with your own poor backup practices.

bread's done
Back