(DEAD) Wal-Mart - LotR Theatrical Trilogy Blu-Ray w/ $10 Hobbit Cash - $13

Saix_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (100%)
I am surprised this has not been posted yet.

Walmart.com has The Lord of the Rings Theatrical Trilogy on Blu-Ray for just under $10+$2 shipping+tax, so around $13 per set and it comes with $10 movie cash to see The Hobbit Part 1. I have no idea how many discs are in this set but I would expect anywhere from one to three, I doubt any bonus features will be included.

It doesn't come out till the start of December according to Walmart.com, and I was unable to find any info on this anywhere but other deal sites.

Something about this set is exclusive according to Walmart.com, but I do not know if it's the movie cash, the movie itself, or something else.

Walmart.com does not charge you until your order ships, but they do put an authorization charge in for the full amount to ensure the funds are there and then it gets refunded a few days later.

I had already planned to see The Hobbit in theaters so this seems like a no brainer to me. Even if these are the inferior versions of the films, $3 for a gift to someone is good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's heavily rumored that these orders will be canceled, but at $12, I'm in for the risk. If it ends up shipping, it'll be a fantastic deal. The Hobbit movie money is just icing on the cake.

[quote name='PublikDefender']oh wow nice find! can i buy this in store so i don't have to pay the shipping cost or is this online only?[/QUOTE]

The movies don't come out till December and I have no idea if these will be in stock in stores or what they will be priced at.

[quote name='Tsel']It's heavily rumored that these orders will be canceled, but at $12, I'm in for the risk. If it ends up shipping, it'll be a fantastic deal. The Hobbit movie money is just icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart is known for saying "oops we messed up, tough shit, so sad, buh bye" without giving anything to the customer as an apology, which I think is horrible customer service, but what do you want from the biggest retail chain in the world. They didn't get there by being super nice to their customers or employees.

According to the site they are supposed to be $20, so I suppose $10 isn't that big of a stretch. If it was $30-40 for the set and was $10 I could say they are going to be cancelled without a doubt.

If the orders go through that would be great, if not oh well. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

holy shit, the slickdeals thread is already 20 pages long and is on the front page. wish that someone would have posted this earlier.

[quote name='PublikDefender']holy shit, the slickdeals thread is already 20 pages long and is on the front page. wish that someone would have posted this earlier.[/QUOTE]
Why does that matter? It is still up for that price on Walmart.com.

Being that normal price is $20, I highly doubt that you guys will receive what you think you will. My guess is this is the price for the first extended edition movie, not the whole trilogy.

Wal Mart had a huge price mistake at the Gears 3 launch that would give you a pair of $200 headphones for like $15 when purchased with Gears 3, I had 3 orders get cancelled and Wal Mart gave me a $20 gift card for each order cancelled. Hoping this goes through, but if not maybe we get a free $10 gift card instead or something

Eh, what the heck. Only $12, and if it turns out to not be at all what I expect, I can just take it to the store and return it. Might as well.

I'm curious, though, how do you know that the amount on the movie cash is $10? I don't see an amount anywhere in the description. I know that the usual range is $10-12, but there were a few movies this past summer where it was only $5...

If nothing else I can sell it, trade it, or use possible credit towards the extended edition. I just wish they would sell the extended set like this with just the three movies and not all the damn extra DVD discs for a much lower price. I have the extended DVD set with 84 discs and I have never watched anything other than the movies.

I'm picturing these as BF dumpsters to get the crowed hyped up. They will be a stripped down version of the movies in a cardboard sleeve and the price is accurate.

[quote name='iwannadie']I'm picturing these as BF dumpsters to get the crowed hyped up. They will be a stripped down version of the movies in a cardboard sleeve and the price is accurate.[/QUOTE]

Based on the fact that they come on in December I fail to see how these can be for Black Friday...

So these aren't the extended editions? Been meaning to pick these up for awhile now but only if they are the extended ones. Also, Wal-Mart is indeed very odd with their site practices, I recall seeing Assassin's Creed 3 on there for preorder a couple months ago for like $15 but they quickly removed it or edited the listing. I didn't post here then but I saw it in a GameFaqs thread and many users complained they did not get any compensation like a gift card or simply getting the item for the price they ordered it for after Wal-Mart dixed their mistake.

[quote name='Navex']So these aren't the extended editions? Been meaning to pick these up for awhile now but only if they are the extended ones. Also, Wal-Mart is indeed very odd with their site practices, I recall seeing Assassin's Creed 3 on there for preorder a couple months ago for like $15 but they quickly removed it or edited the listing. I didn't post here then but I saw it in a GameFaqs thread and many users complained they did not get any compensation like a gift card or simply getting the item for the price they ordered it for after Wal-Mart dixed their mistake.[/QUOTE]

As posted these are Theatrical versions of the films.

You mean to tell me you rather spend $10 in the theaters to see The Hobbit instead of paying $13 for this AND getting to see The Hobbit in theaters?? It literally makes no sense to not buy this if you plan on seeing The Hobbit.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']As posted these are Theatrical versions of the films.

You mean to tell me you rather spend $10 in the theaters to see The Hobbit instead of paying $13 for this AND getting to see The Hobbit in theaters?? It literally makes no sense to not buy this if you plan on seeing The Hobbit.[/QUOTE]Some people do make no sense.

If you really didn't want them, you should be able to sell them to someone for $10-$15 or trade them in to Amazon for $10-12.

I'm not that much of a cheapass. I'd rather just pay for the Hobbit ticket than hassle with trading in/selling the Blu Rays since I already have the extended version set. $10 isn't shit to me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not that much of a cheapass. I'd rather just pay for the Hobbit ticket than hassle with trading in/selling the Blu Rays since I already have the extended version set. $10 isn't shit to me.[/QUOTE]

I own the extended set as well, but these would be great to have just part of your set and/or gifts. Think about other people in regards to this. You get to see The Hobbit and someone you know gets a great gift.

That's a good thought, but the few friends/family that have Blu-ray players already own LOTR or don't like those type of movies.

I have no desire to add them to my collection as I'd never watch them as I vastly prefer the extended cuts as a big fan of the books.

Has anyone's order shipped?

According to my walmart.com account, the order is still processing and "Will arrive between Thursday, 12/06/12, and Monday, 12/10/12."

[quote name='PublikDefender']Has anyone's order shipped?

According to my walmart.com account, the order is still processing and "Will arrive between Thursday, 12/06/12, and Monday, 12/10/12."[/QUOTE]

they have already preauthorized my card

I agree basically getting the triology and a free movie ticket is great. Definitely good deal especially since getting a ticket will be at no extra cost opening day.

Got shipping confirmation also. Wished it was indeed $10 HMM. Already have alot of higher value HMM to use till end of jan vs $5 end of dec. Oh well, $13 or $8 boxset whichever way looking at it.

I don't remember if it had The Hobbit movie money part, but the 3-BD Theatrical Trilogy was in the $9 cardboard display next to the Gremlins/Gremlins2/Goonies BD Triple pack I bought last weekend.

There's a small chance it might still be available B&M, but it's probably only worth checking if you're already in the store for something else.

LoL, like how there are SOoooo many packagings and we try to "build" our own ultimate complete editions on the cheap.

Extended Editions w/o green tint
9 disc DVD Special features
Valid Digital Copies
$5 Hobbit Movie Money

[quote name='Pounce!']LoL, like how there are SOoooo many packagings and we try to "build" our own ultimate complete editions on the cheap.

Extended Editions w/o green tint
9 disc DVD Special features
Valid Digital Copies
$5 Hobbit Movie Money[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the DVD extended editions, or is there a new Bluray version without green tint?

Just got mine.

The good - the price. You can't beat $3.33/each, even if they are the theatrical versions. Comes with lenticular slipcover, which was unexpected.

The bad - one of my slipcovers was badly damaged in shipping. The other, thankfully, is okay.

The ugly - the movie cash is the "up to $5 off" type. Lame. I was hoping it was a voucher for a free ticket.

/edit don't get all up in arms just yet about the amount of movie cash, I only saw it briefly when checking the shipment, but I'm 99% sure it said up to $5 off. I feel like this is false advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my shipping confirmation for this, too, should be here Wednesday. And I was hoping the movie cash would be a free ticket sort of deal (the listing does say "$10 Hobbit Cash" which covers at least a matinee showing here in CA Bay Area), but only $5 off is disappointing.

Sucks this comes with only $5, everything I found at time of post said $10. Still $13 for 3 movies and $5 off isn't bad at all.

bread's done
Back