Amazon: Preorder of Xcom Enemy Unknown with $15 promo credit

Eh it's promo credit. Only good for stuff sold and shipped by Amazon. They used to offer actual gift cards on some things. I remember getting a physical gift card with my PS3.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Eh it's promo credit. Only good for stuff sold and shipped by Amazon. They used to offer actual gift cards on some things. I remember getting a physical gift card with my PS3.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with a promo credit? It's like the EXACT SAME THING! Lol

[quote name='Bigmeat23']What's wrong with a promo credit? It's like the EXACT SAME THING! Lol[/QUOTE]

Uh no it isn't. Here are two key differences.

1. Unlike gift card credit, promo credit cannot be used on anything that is NOT shipped and sold by amazon. Even if amazon fulfills it (inc warehouse deals) promo credit won't work.
2. Cannot be applied to existing orders like gift card credit can.

[quote name='Bigmeat23']What's wrong with a promo credit? It's like the EXACT SAME THING! Lol[/QUOTE]

It's like NOT the exact same thing as described by the above poster. Plus try buying something from the Amazon Warehouse with promo credit. Lol

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Anyone else find it weird that all these offers for XCOM are showing up a week before release, instead of say, a month ago?[/QUOTE]

The preorder numbers were probably bombing so the publisher had to do something otherwise they have retailers stuck with a bunch of unsold copies.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']The preorder numbers were probably bombing so the publisher had to do something otherwise they have retailers stuck with a bunch of unsold copies.[/QUOTE]

that is a good theory, but I agree this is some strange timing

I'm kind of torn, since on one hand I'd like to support this on release - I have mine preordered already - but the cheap ass in me is screaming that this will drop to $30 or less by Black Friday...

Does anyone know if the pc version will be supported by windows on demand? I prefer the pc version,but I really love going for achievements...

Edit: nvm,I just realized every WoD game says it on the cover.... >_

I love this - but sad fact: release date delivery is not being offered. Gotta pony up another $3.99. Rather get in-store pickup at BB.

This is in the sticky at the top of the page. It's titled Amazon Credit Deals. It's also not entirely in lower case which I could understand if you had a broken shift key yet you are able to create a "$" so that's not the case.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Uh no it isn't. Here are two key differences.

1. Unlike gift card credit, promo credit cannot be used on anything that is NOT shipped and sold by amazon. Even if amazon fulfills it (inc warehouse deals) promo credit won't work.
2. Cannot be applied to existing orders like gift card credit can.[/QUOTE]

Actually you can apply promo credit to existing orders. You just gotta ask Amazon to do it for you. Ive done it multiple times, including on my order of X-Com itself. Used the promo credit from Borderlands 2 on it.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']I'm kind of torn, since on one hand I'd like to support this on release - I have mine preordered already - but the cheap ass in me is screaming that this will drop to $30 or less by Black Friday...[/QUOTE]

Right. I really want to support this release, but i really don't know about paying full price day one. I wish there was a demo on XBL. Speaking of which: What's going on there anyway? Nobody releasing demos anymore because they're buried behind three walls of non-game advertising?

It also doesn't help that Dishonored, a very cool-looking new IP that I want to support, is also releasing next week. XCOM would have been a better spring/summer release imo.

[quote name='JK-C']Right. I really want to support this release, but i really don't know about paying full price day one. I wish there was a demo on XBL. Speaking of which: What's going on there anyway? Nobody releasing demos anymore because they're buried behind three walls of non-game advertising?[/QUOTE]

The console demos are on the way, but they probably wont be certified til after the game is already out

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So...Amazon doesn't offer free release date delivery for pre-orders? That used to be a thing right?
edit: I have prime...[/QUOTE]

Yea its weird. I noticed that release date delivery changed to two day shipping a few months ago, yet you still received it on release day. Now however, it seems thats its completely gone, with the only option to get it on release day being 1 day delivery which is $4.99. I pre ordered my X-Com pc copy a few moths ago where it still had free release date delivery. On my order page it says two day delivery and expected delivery date being release day. Maybe Amazon is phasing out pre orders for less "popular" games. Still offers free release date delivery on games like Halo 4 and Black Ops 2, and ect.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So...Amazon doesn't offer free release date delivery for pre-orders? That used to be a thing right?
edit: I have prime...[/QUOTE]

Yes release date delivery used to be a thing. It was free for Prime members and 99 cents for non prime. Its unfortunate that amazon doesn't have good preorder deals like they once used to.

I can see this getting a price drop very fast so I think I'm going to wait.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']The preorder numbers were probably bombing so the publisher had to do something otherwise they have retailers stuck with a bunch of unsold copies.[/QUOTE]

I think it might be the opposite. They did a big pre order push on steam with three tiers of giveaway stuff. Tier 3 was getting civ v free and they hit that last week.

So I think the game was flying under the radar but pre orders have jumped so the deals are coming out to further push it. Oh and it's been the #1 or #2 top seller on steam for the past several days.

I bought 2 copies for day 1 (one is for my brother). From everything I've seen on this game, videos, developer plays, multiplayer, it's going to be something special. Previews have been very positive so far. I have no doubt that this will be my personal GOTY.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Anyone else find it weird that all these offers for XCOM are showing up a week before release, instead of say, a month ago?[/QUOTE]

The Best Buy deal is a couple of weeks old, and they did sell out of the PC version. This is a big month for game releases (RE6, Dishonored) so I'm not shocked that XCOM is getting lost amongst the console crowd.

Like many of you, I want to support this game but I'm still skeptical and want to see a demo first. Also, I agree, this probably will drop in price pretty quickly and I still have a backlog so I'll only buy a few games at launch.

And i haven't seen Amazon give out general gift cards for years, it's been nothing but gaming credits for a while now - not sure why some people chose this post to complain about something that's been the norm for years.

But have the promo credits had such a quick expiration date for a long time now? The $10 Borderlands 2 one caught me off guard with the short expiration date and I almost didn't use it in time.

those assholes. lol I JUST canceled my amazon preorder and ordered at best buy. bah whatever, i can use my $15 gift card and preorder WWE 13 at best buy with it then, same thing. haha

Edit: Mugatu, you can play the demo on PC to at least get an idea of what the game is like. I saw videos at PAX East earlier this year and I was sold just from gameplay videos alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well hell now I have to reconsider my Newegg deal, even though I got a flat discount on the price instead of a GC. Knowing them it will take a day or two to show up; Amazon didn't notify me of shipping my BL2 chest until the night before release and still got it to me on Tuesday.

New trailer on the game released today. Also gameinformer is giving it a 9.5...for whatever that is worth. Full review coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJLFNYhq1YM&feature=g-all-u

Just hoping to help push some of you folk into buying day 1.

bread's done
Back