Amazon DOTD: Seven Samurai Blu Ray $24.49/Samurai Trilogy Blu Ray $35.49

I haven't seen any of these movies, or even heard of the trilogy,- are the films part of the same universe or not connected?

$25 on sale sounds steep to me, Criterion or not. But $30 for a trilogy ain't bad.

[quote name='cranky2']I haven't seen any of these movies, or even heard of the trilogy,- are the films part of the same universe or not connected?

$25 on sale sounds steep to me, Criterion or not. But $30 for a trilogy ain't bad.[/QUOTE]

No, they're completely different. They're not even from the same directors. The common link between the two is the actor Toshiro Mifune, who's excellent in both (as he is in everything in my opinion). Seven Samurai is from Kurosawa, and is considered his masterpiece. It's about 3 1/2 hours long, in black and white, and in my opinion expresses the Samurai spirit better than most other movies.

The Samurai trilogy is directed by Hiroshi Inagaki, and they avg. about 1.5 hours each. They're in full color, and have some beautiful scenery and colors at times. The tone is quite different from Seven Samurai though. It's more like a soap opera at times, with a slow moving romantic subplot that carries from one movie to the other. The trilogy has to be looked at as a whole as I don't feel the movies stand up that greatly on their own. There's also not much action in the movies, and when people do fight it usually doesn't last too long.

Of the two, I'd say Seven Samurai is the better choice. I'd also recommend getting Yojimbo and Sanjuro, when B&N has their Criterion sale.

(I just woke up, so forgive me if this sounds a little incoherent)

Last edited by a moderator:
Always heard great praises and admiration for Seven Samurai. For $25, I'm going to see what the big deal is. Besides, I up for some samurai fights.

Bought Seven Samurai.

(not sure about the trilogy. Maybe later?)

I've only seen Seven Samurai, and it's incredible. I think it should be one everyone has to own. I'm sure it's on Hulu Plus if you want to save $25.

Seven Samurai is the only 3+ hour movie that didn't feel like a 3+ hour movie. I sat through it and loved just about every minute. A very endearing samurai movie.

M

Because of Yojimbo, I can't watch Fist Full of Dollars anymore. Seven Samurai is a great movie though and doesn't drag at all for 3+ hours.

Best price I'd seen for SS. Snagged it! I bought the Samurai Trilogy when it came out for $45 though... oops! If you guys like samurai flicks... I highly recommend the somewhat recent Criterion Blu-ray release of Three Outlaw Samurai. It rocks!

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Seven Samurai is the only 3+ hour movie that didn't feel like a 3+ hour movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really doesn't. I love that movie.

I mean, I guess you could watch A Bug's Life, instead. LOL

Magnificent Seven too ;)

Seven Samurai was my first experience with Kurosawa, and from then on I was hooked. I own pretty much every movie of his now, and have bought a few of them multiple times (Seven Samurai 3x's, Yojimbo/Sanjuro 3x's, Ran 2x's). Seven Samurai probably ranks as my 3rd favorite of his, behind The Hidden Fortress, and Yojimbo, but the order changes from time to time.

$25 for seven samurai is a good good deal... After watching you won't believe you've spent three plus hours watching an old black and white movie with subtitles...

I keep seeing this at the top of the thread and I keep hoping they brought back the dotd even though I know they wouldn't (yet). So mad I missed this would have gotten both easily

[quote name='ssjmichael']B&N's Criterion sale starts Oct. 30th, so you can get both then for a similar price.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Do they sell out quickly normally?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Magnificent Seven too ;)
[/QUOTE]

I don't know why I always think of that movie when Seven Samurai is brought up.

Maybe cowboys are just cooler :p

[quote name='joshnorm']Good to know. Do they sell out quickly normally?[/QUOTE]

Not usually. I've never had them be out of an blu I wanted during the Criterion sale and I usually stop by a few days after the sale starts.

I usually just get them online since I'm not a member, and the B&N stores in my city are dwindling down, and probably don't have a great selection anyway.

bread's done
Back