Mass Effect 1 now on PSN! Impressions, info, play streams inside!

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
original.jpg

Release details:

The new release bundles all three Mass Effect games in one sleek black N7 box. The original Mass Effect, which is playable on Sony's system for the first time, will also be available for download through PSN.

BioWare already detailed the DLC available on each platform: The "Bring Down the Sky" mission will be included with Mass Effect on the PS3, whether downloaded through PSN or within the Mass Effect Trilogy. The PC version of Mass Effect will include Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station, while the Xbox 360 version will be just as it originally was when it launched back in 2007, sans that DLC and sky fully intact.

PS3, Xbox 360 and PC all get Cerberus Network with Mass Effect 2; however, on the PS3, it'll also include Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi and Overlord. Finally, Mass Effect 3 will include Cerberus Network across all platforms, but not the most recent expansion, "Leviathan."
via Joystiq

Official Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfHxklxMhA4

Info on Mass Effect 1 on PS3:
-NeoGAF users report that even the disc version requires a HDD install of 4,272MB or 4.2GB.
-NeoGAF user Rothgil stated:
Several things:
-lengthy install at the start
-I've had no texture pop-in or DREs which were really common on 360 and seen every now and then on PC.
-Saving takes a while
-Performance, save for the aforementioned textures and DREs, is about on par with 360 maybe smoother. It's been a while since I played that version.
TwitchTV streams (December 4, 2012) of users playing ME1 on PS3:

http://www.twitch.tv/thegreatjoshini
http://www.twitch.tv/innominatus

Last edited by a moderator:
I will buy it.. I only beat the 1st game on xbox.. never got around to the other 2.. Might as well wait for the trilogy and start from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.examiner.com/article/mas...laystation-3-on-dec-4-ps3-performance-details
December 4th, PS3 version:
ME1 = game + Bringing down the Sky DLC (whether buy on disc or PSN)
ME2 = game + DLC that came with ME2 PS3 edition (not arrival, not firepacks, not appearance packs)
ME3 = game + no DLC

Which means trilogy = useless. ME1 will be $15 on PSN. ME2 can be picked up at newegg for $10 currently. ME3 CE was available last week for $20 at gamestop (which includes the from ash DLC missing from the trilogy) or you can get standard ME3 now at newegg for $20. $35 buying it piecemeal vs $60 dollars for the trilogy. So glad I went ahead and picked up ME3 CE at gamestop for $20 just in case they decided to be stingy with the DLC.

That's about what I was expecting. If you can snag a deal on the trilogy, such as via Newegg's $12 off any preorder, it would come out to $48. Minus $15 for ME1 that's about $16 each for the other games in their MSRP standalone form, and don't forget about all the extra stuff they're including as behind-the-scenes content.

Plus, if you prefer to have physical copies of games and don't own the others, snagging it for $48 is a pretty good deal. I can't decide if I want to sell my standalone copies and get the collection or just buy ME1 on PSN.

Only special feature I see mentioned is a premium foil box with exclusive artwork which houses the discs. Don't see anything about behind the scenes documentaries.
trilogy_vignette-p.en_US.jpg

big fail to EA for selling this at $60 WITHOUT all the DLC from the previous games. The standard for the game collections is about $40 and theres no way this should have been higher than that without all the content that was released for ME1 and 2. I can understand not including ME3s (although From Ashes) probably could have been thrown in

[quote name='guardian_owl']http://www.examiner.com/article/mas...laystation-3-on-dec-4-ps3-performance-details
December 4th, PS3 version:
ME1 = game + Bringing down the Sky DLC (whether buy on disc or PSN)
ME2 = game + DLC that came with ME2 PS3 edition (not arrival, not firepacks, not appearance packs)
ME3 = game + no DLC

Which means trilogy = useless. ME1 will be $15 on PSN. ME2 can be picked up at newegg for $10 currently. ME3 CE was available last week for $20 at gamestop (which includes the from ash DLC missing from the trilogy) or you can get standard ME3 now at newegg for $20. $35 buying it piecemeal vs $60 dollars for the trilogy. So glad I went ahead and picked up ME3 CE at gamestop for $20 just in case they decided to be stingy with the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - I was hoping for a stand alone ME1 release since I already have 2 and 3.

[quote name='Havok83']big fail to EA for selling this at $60 WITHOUT all the DLC from the previous games. The standard for the game collections is about $40 and theres no way this should have been higher than that without all the content that was released for ME1 and 2. I can understand not including ME3s (although From Ashes) probably could have been thrown in[/QUOTE]

I would have bought it day 1 if it included all the DLC (regardless of which system) but I agree, not including all the DLC is a dick move, though definitely not unexpected from EA.

Mass Effect 2 $10 and Mass Effect 3 NZ7 LE $20 or $5 regular version with Gamer Coupon. I got Mass Effect 1 on 360 no reason to re-buy Triology Set for 60. I may Bite it for $20-ish :)

The value isn't quite there but this is a solid series. The first one didn't blow me away when I first played it but I think the series has been pretty solid as a whole.

This seems like a pretty solid deal to me. I have no exposure to any of these games and could care less about the DLC. I'm very eager to see what all the buzz surrounding these games is about.

anyone seeing a better one coming like one with all the DLC

Updated the OP with the trailer and release details for PS3. All the stuff that was included with the individual retail releases of ME2 and ME3 is the same. So, ME2 will have essentially all the DLC minus Arrival, and ME3 will only have the online pass (excludes From Ashes, Leviathan, and the upcoming Omega DLC).

I'm pretty disappointed that no trilogy release is at least including Arrival or From Ashes. Both are pretty important storywise, especially From Ashes. I've already gotten them with the stand-alone versions, but it seems unreasonable to sell it as a complete package and then exclude content which actually matters to the story.

I'll probably just be getting ME1 on PSN, then, which I believe will be $15. You can snag ME2&3 for a lot cheaper than the collective $45 to bring the cost up to the $60 MSRP of the trilogy set, but if you really want ME1 on a disc along with the sexy packaging for all three, it might be worth it.

[quote name='johnnypark']but if you really want ME1 on a disc along with the sexy packaging for all three, it might be worth it.[/QUOTE]

That's part of the selling point for me.

I take forever to get through games, so the added stuff isn't a concern at this point in time. If the series really grips me, then it'll be more problematic in the future to not have immediate access to the DLC, but I plan on crossing that bridge when I get there. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time trying to justify buying the Dinobot skins in War for Cybertron and that's one game I've put tons of hours in.

So, who's getting ME1 on PSN or the trilogy? I'd love to have ME1 on a disc but $60 is way too much for 2/3 games I already own. I'd rather pick it up cheap and then just give my other copies to a friend.

[quote name='johnnypark']So, who's getting ME1 on PSN or the trilogy? I'd love to have ME1 on a disc but $60 is way too much for 2/3 games I already own. I'd rather pick it up cheap and then just give my other copies to a friend.[/QUOTE]

I'll be buying ME1 digital on Tuesday. If I found the trilogy for cheap down the road I would consider picking it up, but with ME2 and 3 on disc already, no way I'm paying anything more than $25-30 for the trilogy on disc.

[quote name='nbballard']Anyone played this yet? Looking for some reviews of the ME1 port.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I eventually plan to get the all 3 games with all the DLC and want to get it on the system with the most on disc content (which is the PS3 version).

I read that the PS3 has some technical improvements but haven't seen any comparisons.

Thread on NeoGAF has some details. ME1 requires a HDD install even from disc of about 4.7GB. Load times seem comparable to the 360 version. Comments suggest that it runs about the same, not noticeably better or worse, than the original 360 version which the port is based on (opposed to the PC version).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501913&page=5

Apparently the EU version has individual cases for each game:

cimg2018hrl35.jpg

If NA got that full packaging and not just the fold-out disc holsters I might be temped to buy the trilogy version...

[quote name='Masterkyo']Mass Effect 2 $10 and Mass Effect 3 NZ7 LE $20 or $5 regular version with Gamer Coupon. I got Mass Effect 1 on 360 no reason to re-buy Triology Set for 60. I may Bite it for $20-ish :)[/QUOTE]
Have the same stance.

Do the achievements work the same? With small bonuses to all your characters when you earned them. Also more importantly does the save data carry over from game to game?

Bastards!

They ruined the hacking minigame (ME1)! They replaced it with a stupid "twichy finger" challenge, where you have to press the right button fast enough. I hate it so much that I'm regretting getting it.

[quote name='johnnypark']Thread on NeoGAF has some details. ME1 requires a HDD install even from disc of about 4.7GB. Load times seem comparable to the 360 version. Comments suggest that it runs about the same, not noticeably better or worse, than the original 360 version which the port is based on (opposed to the PC version).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501913&page=5

Apparently the EU version has individual cases for each game:

cimg2018hrl35.jpg

If NA got that full packaging and not just the fold-out disc holsters I might be temped to buy the trilogy version...[/QUOTE]

Nope it's the foldout thing like on the 360 version. Also is there a video anyway showing the difference in the hacking mini-game?

The door hacking in ME1 was the same as it was on the xbox. They put the face-buttons on the screen and you have to click them quickly as they flash. Are you talking about the mission on the Citadel where you have to hack that computer (if so, i can't remember that).

I wish Mass Effect 1 would come in its own case like the European version. Would go awesome along with the other two.

I'll pick up ME1 when it goes on sale on PSN. Backlog is way too long to justify paying full price for it.

I'm about 8 hours in and am enjoying it. Its definitely harder than the sequels, and the controls are clunkier. But the extra team management is more fitting for an RPG and its a bummer they took away those details in the later games.

In 8 hours its only froze on me once. Load times off the hard drive haven't been too bad.

But oh my Shaq-Fuing god. The autosave is NOT at all like the other games. Make sure you save before entering any fight, because a death will mean 10-20 minutes of back-tracking. ME2&3 did such a great job bringing you right back to the minutes leading up to your death that I wasn't prepared for how poorly ME1 autosaves.

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm about 8 hours in and am enjoying it. Its definitely harder than the sequels, and the controls are clunkier. But the extra team management is more fitting for an RPG and its a bummer they took away those details in the later games.

In 8 hours its only froze on me once. Load times off the hard drive haven't been too bad.

But oh my Shaq-Fuing god. The autosave is NOT at all like the other games. Make sure you save before entering any fight, because a death will mean 10-20 minutes of back-tracking. ME2&3 did such a great job bringing you right back to the minutes leading up to your death that I wasn't prepared for how poorly ME1 autosaves.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to save often during the Mako missions. They are the worst as far as back-tracking goes.

[quote name='aheineken']Be sure to save often during the Mako missions. They are the worst as far as back-tracking goes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I learned that the hard way. Ugh!

bread's done
Back