Sorcery $10, Armored Core V (360) $20, Star Ocean Intl. (PS3) $16 and more @Newegg

Hmmm, $16 for Star Ocean: LHI sounds like a good deal (been wanting to try that game), but I've got about 3 other RPGS (Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, & Tales of Vesperia) in my backlog. Anyone wanna vouch for Star Ocean? I remember playing the one on PS2 until the 2nd disc and then just stopping.

I'm so in for Star Ocean. I've been waiting for it to drop. I have so many RPGs right now it's crazy. I'm still playing WKC II and I haven't finished Record of Agarest Zero. I heard that Star Ocean was a great game so I'll just get it and try to finish my other games.

[quote name='Zonic505']Hmmm, $16 for Star Ocean: LHI sounds like a good deal (been wanting to try that game), but I've got about 3 other RPGS (Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, & Tales of Vesperia) in my backlog. Anyone wanna vouch for Star Ocean? I remember playing the one on PS2 until the 2nd disc and then just stopping.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't opened the copy I bought from Newegg last winter, but from what I've heard it's supposedly the worst in the series. The gameplay is great apparently, but the story and voice acting are awful.

[quote name='AFC']I still haven't opened the copy I bought from Newegg last winter, but from what I've heard it's supposedly the worst in the series. The gameplay is great apparently, but the story and voice acting are awful.[/QUOTE]

And the character designs.. Everyone looks like a porcelain doll, especially Lymel.

I'll vouch for the gameplay though. The biggest complaint I'm gonna have is that each planet is a separate disc. So if you're at the end of the game and want to grind for items on the first planet, you're gonna have to swap discs.

Yeah, I heard about the voice acting, but the PS3 version allows you to switch to the original JPN voices, plus tweaks to gameplay & menus, additional content (not exactly sure on what, though) & I think characters, more music, & 2D portraits of the characters during dialogue scenes & battle. Also, it's on 1 Blu-ray disc so no disc swapping.

I have the X360 verison and yeah the multidisc format is preventing me to do the missions after the ending. Gameplay wise, I thought it was really good. Isn't the PS3 version one disc?

And damn Newegg, I don't want to spend Black Friday money in October.

My advice is if you're the least bit interested in Star Ocean, pick it up without hesitation. I was watching it a few months back when Newegg had it for 19.99, but then it went out of stock. When it became available again they jacked it back up to 39.99. My guess is it won't last long at this price.

Since this Star Ocean is the prequel to the series, playing the first 2 isn't required, correct?

Avoid Star Ocean at all costs. The gameplay's not so bad, although it wears out its welcome after you realize what it's going to take to play it to completion.

The worst part here is the characters, none of which is worse than the protagonist - one of the worst characters of the ever. Let me speak directly to the only kind of people who may still be interested in this game -- You want to play it because it's a J-RPG and has a cast full of pretty anime ladies, right? Well forget that thought right now.

It's not worth it, because you have to suffer through Edge Maverick's existence. He is so bad the game becomes unplayable and no amount of potential eyecandy can save you. This is like suffering through Endless Eight just because Haruhi's swimsuit changes every episode... and then rewatching it seven more times.

If you wanna buy it to pad out your collection, fine. But your time's worth more than this.

Grabbed Sorcery, this was the price I was waiting for. Glad I held off from $15 at BB a couple months ago. Plus got to use my free Shoprunner :)

Many thanks OP.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Avoid Star Ocean at all costs...

If you wanna buy it to pad out your collection, fine. But your time's worth more than this.[/QUOTE]

You forget the reason people buy JRPGs in the first place. For no reason at all.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']hmmmm...will sorcery drop much more I wonder...its tempting now...[/QUOTE]

I'll ususally spring for games I want when they hit $10. Usually they don't ever get below $7-$8, except in YMMV situations, and there's a lot of games that bottom out at $10 then slowly rise back up to the ~$15 area and settle there.

[quote name='Zonic505']Hmmm, $16 for Star Ocean: LHI sounds like a good deal (been wanting to try that game), but I've got about 3 other RPGS (Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, & Tales of Vesperia) in my backlog. Anyone wanna vouch for Star Ocean? I remember playing the one on PS2 until the 2nd disc and then just stopping.[/QUOTE]

Star Ocean is definitely better than two of those.

[quote name='barrit']Since this Star Ocean is the prequel to the series, playing the first 2 isn't required, correct?[/QUOTE]

It is made where you can start on any star ocean game.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Avoid Star Ocean at all costs. The gameplay's not so bad, although it wears out its welcome after you realize what it's going to take to play it to completion.

The worst part here is the characters, none of which is worse than the protagonist - one of the worst characters of the ever. Let me speak directly to the only kind of people who may still be interested in this game -- You want to play it because it's a J-RPG and has a cast full of pretty anime ladies, right? Well forget that thought right now.

It's not worth it, because you have to suffer through Edge Maverick's existence. He is so bad the game becomes unplayable and no amount of potential eyecandy can save you. This is like suffering through Endless Eight just because Haruhi's swimsuit changes every episode... and then rewatching it seven more times.

If you wanna buy it to pad out your collection, fine. But your time's worth more than this.[/QUOTE]

I liked it a lot and let me tell you I did not play it for the anime ladies. The Eng voice casting bad so putting it on Jap is bearable. The Characters themselves could use a lot of work but I loved the battle system. I usually would compare it to a Tales game, you play it for the gameplay.

if anybody gets armored core v on the 360 add me kayne2000

i would love to have someone to play with in that game its a fun game just ya know no one is playing it cause its not COD i guess or borderlands 2

Don't buy Star Ocean: The Last Hope -International-
That game is the worst of all Star Ocean game, it was a huge step-back from -Til the End of Time-
You're better off buying another game.

Just got a copy of Star Ocean, couldnt help myself, i'm a sucker for jrpg. Plus i was so pissed the last time i missed a 16 bucks deal for it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Avoid Star Ocean at all costs. The gameplay's not so bad, although it wears out its welcome after you realize what it's going to take to play it to completion.

Can't be worse than Rush from Last Remnant. I played the game for five hours and then said fuck it I can't stand this guy anymore. Thankfully I bought it used, returned it back to Gamestop.

[quote name='Naramie']Can't be worse than Rush from Last Remnant. I played the game for five hours and then said fuck it I can't stand this guy anymore. Thankfully I bought it used, returned it back to Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

If you think it can't get worse than Rush, I assure you it can. But by all means, see for yourself.

[quote name='TimesTicking']Don't buy Star Ocean: The Last Hope -International-
That game is the worst of all Star Ocean game, it was a huge step-back from -Til the End of Time-
You're better off buying another game.[/QUOTE]

As if Til the End of Time wasn't a massive piece of shit that flipped the bird to the lore of the first 2 games.

I would definitely steer clear of any Star Ocean after 1 and 2. SO 2 is the high point, its all downhill after.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You forget the reason people buy JRPGs in the first place. For no reason at all.[/QUOTE]

Awesome

I want to buy Star Ocean to replace the 360 version on my shelf due to it's absolutely ridiculous disc swapping method, seriously, pfft........... man.

Star Ocean 2 was a master piece. Star Ocean 3 is definitely NOT better than Eternal Sonata, NOT better than Resonant of Faith, and NOT better than Tales of Vesperia. You're dreaming bro. Big time.

[quote name='Nochance']As if Til the End of Time wasn't a massive piece of shit that flipped the bird to the lore of the first 2 games.

I would definitely steer clear of any Star Ocean after 1 and 2. SO 2 is the high point, its all downhill after.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, should I pick up Star Ocean and let it have the honor of sitting on my backlog shelf for about a year or more?

Decisions, decisions....

[quote name='Refluxx']Hmmm, should I pick up Star Ocean and let it have the honor of sitting on my backlog shelf for about a year or more?

Decisions, decisions....[/QUOTE]

well i mean that is an HONOR how could you deny it that??? you arent some cruel horrible person are you???

bread's done
Back