* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

#781 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

Gotta give Chael Sonnen credit, he called Silva not fighting him a long time ago.

http://mmajunkie.com...t-in-at-ufc-175

#782 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

So, the Sonnen - Belfort fight is going to be at 205...but is also for a title shot at middleweight, lol. Shows you how cleaned out that division is, I guess. I get that Vitor was supposed to be next in line anyway. But what an odd way to handle it.

And just like that, Chael finds himself back in contention again despite losing 3 of his last 4 fights and not having fought at 185 since he lost to Anderson Silva almost 2 years ago, lol. Granted, this one mostly fell into Chael's lap, but I'll tell ya, that guy is probably the best promoter MMA has ever seen.

#783 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Apparently things keep changing for that fight.  Now they are saying it will be at middleweight and a win only gets a title fight for Belfort.

http://www.mmafighti...at-middleweight

#784 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

I gotta say, I hope Khabilov brings the fight to Benson tonight and either wakes his ass up or beats him down. I'm just completely sick of seeing a neutral gear Benson Henderson. Shit or get off the pot already, lol.

Also good to see that Miesha's boyfriend is finally fighting again. Maybe he'll actually do more than just talk for once, haha. :lol:

#785 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:53 AM

Good God...who the Fuck is cornering John Moraga? What a bunch of yes men toolbags.

After Round 1 in which Dodson clearly outlanded him: "You're winning this fight!", "Great job!"

After Round 2 when he got his nose smashed into his skull: "No, it's not broken. It's just cut.", "He's done. You've got him."

If Moraga wants to progress at all in this sport, he needs to get rid of those assclowns. Horrible corner men.

#786 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

*yawn* Sanchez vs Pearson was exactly what I expected...awful. Diego is done. He seriously brings nothing to the table anymore. No wrestling, minimal striking, and stupid taunting to try to goad his opponents into exchanging haymakers in the final 10 seconds of the round. Knuckledragger combat at its best (worst).

EDIT - WOW...and he won the decision? That's some bullshit scoring right there. I get that the UFC loves having hometown fighters fight...but apparently you can't trust these judges to be honest anymore. One judge has 30-27 Pearson...and another 30-27 Sanchez. That is unreal.

#787 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

Hmm...interesting finish from Henderson. He was definitely more aggressive in this fight, but it still seemed like there were moments where he wanted to fall back into old habits of just laying on Khabilov or just hopping around. I still don't think that's good enough to beat a high volume fighter (ie. Pettis), but we'll see where he goes from here.

#788 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Had it 29-28 for Pearson. Definitely a really bad decision. I was really hoping to see Benson lose. Maybe he can fight the real Khabib in his next fight LOL

#789 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Good God...who the Fuck is cornering John Moraga? What a bunch of yes men toolbags.

After Round 1 in which Dodson clearly outlanded him: "You're winning this fight!", "Great job!"

After Round 2 when he got his nose smashed into his skull: "No, it's not broken. It's just cut.", "He's done. You've got him."

If Moraga wants to progress at all in this sport, he needs to get rid of those assclowns. Horrible corner men.

Interesting.  I didn't notice this but if true that is insane. 

*yawn* Sanchez vs Pearson was exactly what I expected...awful. Diego is done. He seriously brings nothing to the table anymore. No wrestling, minimal striking, and stupid taunting to try to goad his opponents into exchanging haymakers in the final 10 seconds of the round. Knuckledragger combat at its best (worst).

EDIT - WOW...and he won the decision? That's some bullshit scoring right there. I get that the UFC loves having hometown fighters fight...but apparently you can't trust these judges to be honest anymore. One judge has 30-27 Pearson...and another 30-27 Sanchez. That is unreal.

My friends and I couldn't believe that decision.  We were all just pretty bored of the fight and talking about other things then all of a sudden Diego Sanchez gets his arm lifted.  WTF!

Hmm...interesting finish from Henderson. He was definitely more aggressive in this fight, but it still seemed like there were moments where he wanted to fall back into old habits of just laying on Khabilov or just hopping around. I still don't think that's good enough to beat a high volume fighter (ie. Pettis), but we'll see where he goes from here.

Henderson is my boy so great night for me.  I agree, especially in the first he seems really overly laid back.  But awesome to see him get a finish and an exciting one at that, nice combo right into the choke.

Also loving the pseudo-calling out of Pettis and saying that the belt isn't being defended so just to treat him as the de facto champ and give all the challengers to him.  Pettis is a bum.  He's super exciting in the ring but man, 18 months before your first title defense? C'mon!

#790 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Also Mel Gibson in the crowd was really odd!

#791 paz9x  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Remember the nick diaz and karo fights? what the hell happened to that guy? hes like leonard garcia 2.0.

pearson was clearly the better fighter, I have NO idea how that was scored 30-27 there is no possible way to score the second for diego. the only round I thought you could give diego was the 3rd and thats if you were scoring on forward movement/aggression.

#792 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ross Pearson officially appealing the judges decision.

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=mma

Good for him! Not even anything against Sanchez, but this is a necessary first step if anybody wants the judges to ever have any accountability. Can't just keep letting crap like this slide.

#793 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

lol Chael out of UFC 175 due to a failed drug test...

#794 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

lol Chael out of UFC 175 due to a failed drug test...

Yeah. It's like I can believe it but I can't, lol. Maybe Vitor will fight Wanderlai now? Seriously, just a carousel of steroids right there. Chael did say though, if the TRT ban retires guys, it retires guys. That might be what we need to see here. Kinda sucks that the UFC might lose several big names because of it. But honestly, they've been needing to move on from these guys and start promoting the younger talent anyway.

#795 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

Annnnd...Chael Sonnen retires, lol.

http://www.ufc.com/n...=Facebook: UFC

What a weird ass sequence of events for this PPV. The UFC seriously just needs to move on from Sonnen, Belfort, Silva, etc. and stop planning main events around guys who have a 50/50 chance of failing a drug test. Kinda seems like Chael took the Manny Ramirez road at the end. "I'm not going to make the hall of fame anyway. So, I might as well go for broke...and if they catch me, I'll just retire."

#796 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:18 AM

Retirement's probably a good call for Chael.  Probably should have already retired and focused on TV, he's pretty good.  

I'm assuming the drug suspension should have no issue with him reporting on the UFC.

#797 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10546 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Sonnen sucks at TV too. Always yelling, as if talking louder then the others makes him better or more authoritative. I remember Cormier was on there trying to hype up a potential fight between him and Jon Jones and Sonnen kept annoyingly interrupting. Cormier was calling out Jones saying "when I beat Henderson..." and Sonnen kept saying "if, if you beat him" multiple times. Cormier had to half jokingly throw a pencil at him to shut him up. Sonnen just plain sucks. The UFC will be better once they fully get rid of him.

#798 Irukandji   Lurking and Twerking CAGiversary!   1227 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Personally, I liked Chael and was looking forward to seeing him fight on my birthday.  I was also excited to see Vitor fight, as I grew up watching him and I was glad to see him back. I think it would've been a good match up.  I know they both got in trouble for TRT usage but they were also both in the process of going off of it.  When it comes to Sonnen - love him or hate him, he had a huge draw and made the UFC  lot of money.  He was entertaining to the people who liked him and entertaining to the people who hated him because he ususally lost the fights talked his way into. 

Regardless, I'm glad to see see Arlovski is back and curious to see how he does against Schuab.  My overactive imagination sees Schuab getting knocked out fast and the UFC having a NELSON VS. ARLOVSKI rematach, promoting it as "the only man who has knocked out Roy Nelson". 

Weidman VS Machida could potentially be a good fight...or a snooze-fest if it's a run and gun points battle. 

#799 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

OSP is a monster. That guys scares me because he doesn't even seem to know how good he could be. Looking forward to seeing him moving up the ladder.

#800 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:03 AM

zzzzzzzzz....Heavyweights. I love me some old school Andrei Arlovski...but God damn, I hate heavyweight fights. So sloppy and amateurish.

Sure, Schaub probably outfought Andrei, but that one dimensional haymaker shit wss pissing me off. Neither one is a potential title challenger, so at the end of the day, who cares? lol. And if Arlovski winning leads to a rematch with Roy Nelson (or hell...I'd even take Frank Mir), at least it makes for an interesting story in a boring division.

#801 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:31 AM

Wow...good for Ryan Bader. I wasn't expecting that, but he looked really good. Striking was solid and his wrestling was outstanding. Those power doubles were no joke. That's nice to see.

#802 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

I wasn't sure about Rory's development after the Ellenberger and Lawler fights...but he's looked great in his last two. I'd say he's ready to challenge for the title.

#803 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

After an exciting day of soccer, I was pretty disappointed with the UFC fights.  Really couldn't hold my attention very well.  

Biggest disappointment was Tyron Woodley.  I'm not a Rory fan so I wanted Woodley but he fought a really poor fight.

#804 paz9x  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

coker and kimbo are in!?!?!?

interesting, i think it was front row brian that said bjorns firing was because he disagreed with viacoms desire to go head to head with the ufc. I wasnt a big bellator fan but i felt at least their format gave them something to offer without having top tier fighters.

#805 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Benson and RDA in August.  Should be good.

#806 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Lol, damn Dana.  Funny part is about 5:30 in.

http://www.bjpenn.co...gets-shut-down/

#807 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Fucking Aldo, he just gets hurt too much.  Would love to see Mendes take that belt whenever they actually do fight.

#808 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

I'm not a big Uriah Hall fan, but damn that is one tough dude.

#809 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14080 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yeah Rousey just keeps going and may end up being the Silva of the women's division. Carrano has too much cage rust IMO and Cyborg and roids is like Manny or Sin Cara with roids.

#810 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30539 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Yeah good on Uriah for going all the way through that fight, especially after the Struve fight was canceled.  Dana has questions Uriah's desire to fight so I think he probably scored some major points with Dana.

Not a Rousey fan but her fight was sweet.  Loved seeing Machida come out of his shell a little bit.  He could be a super entertaining fighter if he wanted to. Weidman looked human for the first time in a while.