* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

#931 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Wow that Whittaker vs Hester fight was awesome.

#932 bobo2k4   OooSplendiforous CAGiversary!   3195 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:01 PM

Pretty sweet card lined up for Jan. 24th. 

http://www.sherdog.c...on-Jan-24-77095

http://www.sherdog.c...holm-Card-77109

We got Gustafasson vs Rumble Johnson and Hendo vs Mousasi as the co-main event. January has some monster events planned. Let's just pray like hell the injury bug doesn't hit again. 

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#933 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6286 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

That ear. :puke:

#934 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30506 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

I missed the ear fight but saw parts of the replay when we were walking out of the Buffalo Wild Wings.  Hoping I can find some highlights online.  It was especially hilarious because most the MMA fans had left by then and the few people left were just there grabbing a late dinner.  The looks on their faces were pretty hilarious.

Really good night of fights, main card anyway.  Unless I'm remembering wrong, it was 4 first round finishes and 1 second round finish.  And then that hilarious ending to the title fight on the Belator card as well.

tylerh1701.png 
Check out my game reviews at Video Chums!

#935 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30506 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:38 AM

If anyone missed the ear shot.

http://gfycat.com/He...ltBabyishEarwig

tylerh1701.png 

#936 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4248 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

Enjoyed the UFC prelims. Eye vs. THE EAR was nasty, but damned memorable.

dd8194364749901.jpg

562ea5364749795.jpg

Tito-Bonnar was there not to be a great fight, but to be one that got new viewers. I loved the show as a whole and the revamped presentation for walkouts made the company look so much more major league. Sure, it's TNA-level stuff with the set, but they got real music in there, and they come off bigger than UFC with the more elaborate entrances. Bonnar is just completely done. Motherfucker aged a decade between the time the fight was announced and the time it happened. Tito coming to Bellator reminds me of Savage going to WCW - it's not 1:1, but with each, you've kind of seen all you need to see if him in one place, so he goes somewhere else and he seems so much fresher thanks to different competition. With that said, he's got very little left and he can't even dodge shots due to his neck being so fucked - throw him in a title fight for his next one and pop a rating. Dude's on as much of a roll as he'll ever be on and I can really see 2015 being a gigantic year for the company. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see them sign Cro Cop (since Simon Inoki was there and he's IGF Champion) and BROCK LESNAR.

Now that's a big one, right? Why wouldn't he go to UFC? SImple - he can't hang at the UFC level. He couldn't do it four years ago, and while he can beat Arlovski, I don't see him faring well against most guys. With Bellator, he's got one big money (relatively speaking) fight with Lashley they can do, as well as Brock-Rampage if Rampage goes up a class, and given how big he's been that's entirely possible. You can also do Brock-Kongo, and Brock-Cro Cop if they sign him too. Right there you get four big ratings, whereas with Brock you get MAYBE one. Brock isn't even a slam dunk since people are so numb to UFC shows right now. It's like trying to get excited for a random SmackDown rematch you've seen a billion times now. Viacom's willing to spend big money on Tito Ortiz in 2014 and 2015 - they'll be willing to do the same and up the ante for Brock.

Full Rundown's here -

http://jayreviewsthi...-vs-bonnar.html

Screen highlights -

acf2d5364750759.jpg

7ffa9b364751603.jpg

5ce94b364753610.jpg

f45b78364758448.jpg

064493364764111.jpg

90498d364764092.jpg

Screen gallery is here -

http://www.imagebam....ewdpgxx2yj04aaf

#937 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

The Hunt v Werdum left me emotionally spent. I was expecting Hunt to get finished in the first due to the short notice, elevation, weight cut, ground game, etc. but he looked really good and survived in his guard for 2 minutes. Wedum started to look flustered and was getting tagged.

Hunt stuffed a few takedowns, landed some big shots, and I started to get excited. Then he ate a Sagat Tiger Knee and was dropped and that was it. Hunt was never out, I just wish he could of somehow gotten back up to his feet.

The Bellator main even was honestly a shit show. I know Tito is shot, but I didn't really expect Bonner to be that out of shape. He looked horrible the first round and worse as the fight wore on. It is always fun from a nostalgia standpoint to seem Tito, but with his age and injuries he doesn't have anything left in those takedowns. They looked like they were in slowmotion (the whole fight did actually). I was surprised Bonner would be taken down by such takedown, and then I was surprised that Tito couldn't maintain position at all.

Also - I'm not think a fighter's physique decides how they perform, but it will pretty funny too see current Bonner vs. roided up Super Sayian Bonner from his Anderson Silva fight.

#938 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw him doing this before the fight.

PSsIXnV.gif

#939 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Runs from police...tries to kill himself...pleads not guilty....

http://bleacherrepor...ls-and-reaction

It actually scares me how mentally disturbed he is. That's like Charles Manson levels of crazy.

Can't wait to see him and Mayhem in Bellator. :lol:

#940 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

There is now literally....a one legged man in an ass kicking contest...

http://bleacherrepor...ng-championship

#941 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

So, this UFC - Reebok deal is a pretty huge thing. It's going to be sad no longer seeing long-time sponsors like Tapout in the octagon. But I get the reasoning behind this being better for the sport long-term. It's a stability thing. And according to Dana White, 100% of the money from the deal is going to the fighters with bonuses being given to champions and top 10 ranked fighters on a sliding scale.

Dana also made a good point in his interview with Ariel Helwani that both Ronda Rousey and Georges St. Pierre have major endorsement deals for brands that they never wear in the cage. Those types of things will still be allowed under this deal.

So, basically, as long as you're not a degenerate ingrate like the Diaz boys, there is still plenty of opportunity to make extra money. And there will be no scramble to find sponsors between fights, allowing fighters to just train and perform.

I saw an article with a bunch of fighter Tweets about the deal. Almost all of them were happy and excited about the deal. You can take a wild guess who referred to them as "Bitchass uniforms" though. 

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=mma

Also, interesting to note that banners are now a thing of the past.

#942 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

Had to post this Tweet individually because Josh Barnett wins the internet. Honorable mentions to Roy Nelson and Joe Lauzon, but Barnett brought out an LA Gear reference. You can't beat that.

#943 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:01 AM

any thoughts on the TuF matches from the most recent episode ?

Who ya got in the finals ?

"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#944 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

any thoughts on the TuF matches from the most recent episode ?

Who ya got in the finals ?

I didn't realize TuF was on, they are pumping so many of those out.

#945 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

The Latin America one was pretty good, and with some of the garbage fights out of the way the female 115 one is good.

I don't know why they let Torres come back. She didn't do much in her first fight, same thing against Esparza. What was the game plan? Seemed like "do nothing," so I'm glad she's out.

I really like Randa but I don't see her beating Rose. Rose's BJJ seems on the same level as Randas wrestling, but Rose showed alot more striking and all around potential. Randa is really new to the sport though (compared to the other girls) so she has alot of overall potential in the future.

Esparza is just rentless on the takedowns, it'll probably be her vs Rose in the finals.

#946 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

I thought the Randa and Tecia fight  or the Rose and Jojo fight was the best i've seen so far out of the season.

"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#947 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:59 AM

Yamasaki misses an eye poke by Faber to ruin the Faber - Rivera fight.  That looked like it could have have been a great fight.

#948 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

CM PUNK OFFICIALLY IN UFC!!!!!  :whee:

Nah, I'm not really that excited, lol. It's interesting, for sure. And good for him for wanting to truly test himself. We'll see how he enjoys getting punched in the face though. It isn't fun, haha.

#949 JP   Member of the Ravens Nation! Trade-in Value Team   8090 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

He probably keeps the same entrance music.

banner@1x.jpg

#950 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:40 AM

He probably keeps the same entrance music.

I just hope they don't put "CM Punk" as his name. I mean, use it as a nickname like Rampage Jackson does. That's fine. But I don't want to see just "CM Punk"

It's funny. My guess for the announcement was a scheduled fight for GSP.

#951 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:46 AM

Even if being a fighter doesn't pan out he could still be valuable as a commentator or host.

#952 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:19 AM

Punk is one of my all time favorite pro wrestlers. I'm excited. I don't expect him to do well at the UFC level, but hope to be proven wrong. I just commented on Facebook so I'll share it here:

This makes me actually want to watch UFC again. I gave up on TUF midseason after watching the last probably 10 seasons. After watching every Fight Night- even prelims- and (streaming) all PPVs for years, it just got dull. Way too many cards (at 5 hours a pop) and they're filled with no-name fighters, and tons of big fights changed after stars got hurt.

155toba.gif2i6pefo.gif675n9f.gifhsl3pl.gif

#953 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6286 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

Wow, I thought Hendricks got robbed.

#954 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30506 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

I wouldn't say robbed, but I thought Hendicks won the fight as well, though I'm glad he lost.  I think that Hendricks should get no points for pinning someone against the cage, and he should lose points if the person being pinned is throwing punches/elbows/etc.  I've just never seen it scored that way before tonight, hoping that judging continues to evolve in this way.  

That being said, Lawler looked super listless during the middle rounds.  I'm really surprised he took the decision.  But I'm happy he did.

Hendricks pretty classy in the post-fight press conference.  Johny: "I didn't fight.  Ya know what I mean, look at the 4th and 5th round, I just didn't fight."  It's very true, he didn't.  Weird fight.

tylerh1701.png 

#955 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30506 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

The Faber fight was super disappointing unfortunately.

tylerh1701.png 

#956 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

I wouldn't say robbed, but I thought Hendicks won the fight as well, though I'm glad he lost.  I think that Hendricks should get no points for pinning someone against the cage, and he should lose points if the person being pinned is throwing punches/elbows/etc.  I've just never seen it scored that way before tonight, hoping that judging continues to evolve in this way.  

That being said, Lawler looked super listless during the middle rounds.  I'm really surprised he took the decision.  But I'm happy he did.

Hendricks pretty classy in the post-fight press conference.  Johny: "I didn't fight.  Ya know what I mean, look at the 4th and 5th round, I just didn't fight."  It's very true, he didn't.  Weird fight.

Well, based on how judging USUALLY goes, yeah, Lawler probably should have lost. But I agree completely. There were way too many times where Hendricks "controlled" a round just by pinning Lawler to the cage and hoping he'd get impatient and do something stupid. He wasn't even working for the takedown. He was just holding him there. That's not good MMA wrestling.

All you have to do is go back a couple weeks and look at the Frankie Edgar v Cub Swanson fight to see good MMA wrestling. Edgar got takedowns and mauled Swanson for most of that fight. He was grinding forearms in his face, throwing elbows, etc. Hendricks did none of that. It's kind of dumb, but Hendricks was more impressive tonight when he was standing at a distance throwing combinations.

To me, it felt like he was fighting to not lose, rather than to win. And that's the same thing people (even Hendricks himself) gave GSP shit for. And he worked LESS than GSP even in this fight. He was basically stalemating. I'm glad as hell they somehow "botched" the scoring to give Lawler the belt. If anything, maybe it'll send a message that the way scoring is done needs to change.

I didn't really understand why Lawler only had huge offensive outbursts in the first 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds of the fight...but at least he tried to fight. Hendricks seemed to just want to prevent Lawler from fighting. I mean, seriously...is "lean and pray" a thing?

#957 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

The other thing I'll say about pinning someone to the cage, Travis Browne has gotten two knockouts by being pinned to the cage. Maybe judges really shouldn't consider it a defensive position.

#958 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

I could have seen it going either way as a 48-47 decision, but I don't know about that one judge going 49-46. Something is off about them.

That being said, I was happy that Hendricks lost too. I can appreciate technical BJJ matches, and technical wrestling matches, but when it's obvious that someone is just stalling for time constantly and laying on people it has no real place in the UFC. (promoters hate that shit too)

#959 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, it's crazy because for me, wrestling can be both the most awesome part of MMA and the most horrible part of MMA. When it's executed properly, like what Edgar did to Swanson, it's incredible. Just the idea of imposing your will on somebody, smothering them, and putting a beating on them...while at the same time negating any offense they might have. That's freaking terrifying.

But what Hendricks did last night was just the latter part. He negated a lot of Lawler's offense by holding him against the cage. And rather than wearing him out and eventually getting the takedown...or backing off and touching him up with those combinations, there were large chunks of the fight where he did neither. He didn't go for submissions. And he didn't do much ground and pound at all.

He never tried to win the fight outside of hitting Robbie a few times and then laying on him to abuse the 10 point must scoring system. That was a bullshit strategy, and I'm glad the scoring didn't go his way. People can say he was "robbed", but maybe he'll actually try to beat his opponent next time. I'm sorry, but I have to say, if THAT'S how Hendricks was going to defend the belt, I'm glad as hell he lost the decision to GSP too and didn't tarnish Georges' record with a one hit wonder performance.

#960 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm glad Hendricks lost. That's twice now he's been punished for coasting. He lost to GSP because he thought he had the fight in the bag in the fifth round and then the last two rounds of this he just hid his head in Lawler's crotch.

Even the few take downs he got it didn't seem like he landed any significant shots at all on the mat. Hendricks was doing well in rounds 2,3 and 4 with his stand up. Lawler seemed tentative and I thought Hendricks was going to start really outworking him on the feet and with the leg kicks.

I thought it was going to 48-47 Hendricks but could see 48-47 Lawler, but I'm happy with the result. The 49-46 Lawler is a litte out there though.

As for CM Punk - well that is kind of a mixed bag. I guess it will bring a lot of viewers to his matches, but who could they possibly match him with. Anyone who good should smash him. Honestly, anyone in the UFC should smash him. He has no significant experience in any combat sports. This isn't like a WWF guy coming over who has very high level wresting, judo, jiu jitsu, or something.

I guess the Green Ranger has called him out. Out of everyone who has called out Punk so far, the Green Ranger is the only close to his level of experience.

Punk better be spending all the money he made in the WWF on the best private classes money can buy 24/7 if he hopes to have any chance at surviving in the UFC.