* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

#1021 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

I'll say it again, Rumble looks like prime Rampage Jackson. He is a monster right now, and seriously gives zero fucks about the name or reputation of the guy standing in front of him. That's freaking scary. He smashed Little Nog and Gustafsson like they were nobodies. If he fights Jones the same way, it could be the biggest test Jones has ever had. It will basically force Jones to do something to earn Rumble's respect, rather than guys coming in being timid because of what Jones has done in the past.

Jones will have to use his reach advantage and launch some of those kicks right up the middle to keep Johnson off of him. Or take him down and use those elbows. But he better not try to just stand and bang with him like he did with Glover and Cormier. 

#1022 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2225 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Happy for Rumble - he looked great in that fight. I do think stylistically Gustaf matches up better to Jones though. Jones uses his reach much better (when he wants to) then Gustaf does. I think Jones vs. Rumble will look an awful lot like Rampage vs. Jones.

Kind of sad to here Crocop is coming back. He is one of my favorites, but I don't want to see him destroyed by the current HWs. He should stay over in Japan where he has been doing well. I will say though, that whenever Crocop does lose it is usually spectacular knock out fashion. The knee from Mir, the obvious kick from Gonzaga, and the punch from Schaub. He always goes down hard like a ton of bricks.

#1023 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

So, apparently...Nick Diaz missed his flight to Las Vegas. Who's surprised? lol :lol:

http://www.mmafighti...ht-to-las-vegas

#1024 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

With how Nate's fight went, I wonder how seriously Nick will take this fight. Is he going to just show up out of shape, miss weight, and just dick around during the fight so he gets an easy payday? Or has he taken the fight seriously, and worked hard to not be affected by his long layoff? Honestly, the later would actually be the surprise for me.

#1025 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Honestly, the biggest argument I could see for him taking the fight seriously is because it's Anderson Silva. If that doesn't mean anything to him, then I would question if he ever cared about the sport. If he screws this one up and taints Silva's comeback in any way, the UFC should just cut him immediately. It's fun and games when the Diaz boys are bringing in dollars. But I think most everybody is tired of them at this point.

#1026 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2225 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

I think this will look different than Nate's fight because Silva will want to stand. Nick's aggressive walk forward style *should* lend itself very nicely to Silva's laser guide counter punching.

I say should because I do wonder how Silva will look after his year away,

Even if Diaz is completely unprepared and out of shape, he is still known for heaving a tough chin and being aggressive which should at least make it entertaining.

#1027 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6330 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

I doubt Diaz will be out of shape, that guy is a triathlon athlete too

#1028 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

I want Silva to face kick him like he did Vitor.

#1029 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anybody who has an Xbox One and doesn't own the game yet, EA Sports UFC is on sale on XBL for $10. That's a pretty solid price for a game that has gotten a good amount of support since launch. I think it's had two patches and at least five roster updates.

https://store.xbox.c...7b-8c58315e5185

#1030 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

Diaz also not at the open workout...

http://sports.yahoo....59844--mma.html

The UFC also booked him a second flight, and he missed that one too.

Oh boy...

#1031 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30565 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:44 AM

Wow....he better show up in time for the fight!

#1032 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

Dana just tweeted that he is there.  Looks like a photo of him at the airport.

#1033 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

Of course Cerrone offered to take Nick Diaz's spot, lol. Gotta love Cowboy.

http://www.bjpenn.co...ling-nick-diaz/

#1034 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

Curious to see how Gastelum will do against some higher level competition. Other than that the card is fairly weak. Still don't really know how Diaz was decided upon for Silva. Dana is already saying Silva can get a title shot if he wins. I still want to see Machida vs Silva personally,

#1035 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:32 AM

I still want to see Machida vs Silva personally,

I thought those two said they wouldn't fight each other. Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else and Silva. Either way I'd like to see that fight too. 

#1036 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

I believe at one point he did say he would not fight Machida or Jacare but they said they would fight Silva if it involved the title. He was disappointed with that and in turn said he would fight them as well. He has also said he does not like fighting other Brazilians but sure did not look that way when he fought Maia

#1037 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:06 AM

Curious to see how Gastelum will do against some higher level competition.

Apparently against higher competition he misses weight by 9 pounds.

#1038 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Lol simply ridiculous. Did he even try? 2 or 3lbs maybe but 9?! Ugh...

#1039 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30565 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

Jesus 9 pounds?  What the Fuck.  No easier way for a rising star to shoot himself in the foot.  Maybe he was super sick or something and couldn't do the weight cut.  But that is way fucking off.

Chris Weidman got hurt again, his title fight with Vitor is off.  If I was Dana I would strip him completely, I think that should be policy after 12 months out or 2 missed title defenses due to injury.  Give him a #1 contender or title fight when he gets better.  I get so sick of seeing the belts sitting on the shelf.

#1040 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30565 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

Would be bad ass if Dana announced tomorrow that Silva/Diaz was now an Interim Title fight!

#1041 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

I was avoiding this thread today because I thought the fight was tonight. I hope Anderson is on the top of his game when it starts.

#1042 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30565 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

Bendo is fighting Brandon Thatch on Valentines Day at 170lbs.  Interested to see how this goes for him.

#1043 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

Only caught the co main event and main event and both were rather lackluster. Silva looked pretty good on his feet and the leg injury didn't seem to effect him too much. I'm sure Dana was shaking his head after the opening round and regretting signing Diaz LOL.

*edit* had a brain fart I actually saw the Boesch fight and Lauzon as well those were definitely better than the last two fights on the card. Lauzon is a tough SOB and props to Al for picking his shots and not gassing out

#1044 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1944 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Kinda glad Silva won and beat Diaz. So he has lost at least the last 3 fights and has a 7-7 record from what I saw. Why hasn't he been cut yet?
He doesn't seem to want to be there anyway.

#1045 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2225 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Glad Silva won, but he didn't show that he was ready for taking on the likes of Machida, Jacare, and Rockhold. Maybe it is time for him to step away and go out on a win.

I liked during the post fight when he kept mentioning his son crying and begging him to stop (even in the back after the fight - I'm guessing by telephone or maybe he was there with him) one of the media asked him how old his son was. Silva said 17. I thought that was kind of funny.

The highlight of the night was the last 30 seconds of the post fight. Everyone else was gone aside from Silva (including Dana it seemed). Silva then asked the media if anyone had any questions for Black Dana (himself). After nobody said anything he pretended he was Dana and said something like "The next title fight will be... umm... ahh.. I don't know. Thank you and goodbye" and left.

#1046 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

Why is there speculation about Anderson Silva retiring when he allegedly signed a new 15 fight contract in October? I'm sure the UFC has some type of post-retirement job idea for him. But why in the hell bother with a 15 fight contract? The other area of question is if the Reebok deal has anything to do with it because Anderson has openly spoke out against it and said he won't wear Reebok. Just a really weird situation.

I also enjoyed Joe Rogan attempting to give Nick Diaz the "retirement interview".

Diaz: "I'll get em next time I guess..."

Rogan: "So, is this the last time we'll see you in the Octagon?"

Diaz: "I don't...I don't know..."

#1047 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2225 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

Why is there speculation about Anderson Silva retiring when he allegedly signed a new 15 fight contract in October?

That is to make sure that he retires with the UFC. Doesn't retire and then decide to come back to some superfight against Tito in Bellator (hah)

#1048 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:58 PM

That is to make sure that he retires with the UFC. Doesn't retire and then decide to come back to some superfight against Tito in Bellator (hah)

lol...I guess. 15 fights just seems a bit overkill.

#1049 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Anderson looked impressive blocking some of those shots from Diaz and threw a couple strikes that were lightning fast. But I was expecting pure domination from him. I set my standards too high for the main event.

#1050 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1944 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:10 AM

Was reading an article earlier stating basically Diaz I am just tired of losing. They were hinting that he is finished ?
I need to find the article again to re read the whole thing and link it.