* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

#1141 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30504 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

i think Dana said on fox sports after the fights that Cerrone vs khabib is still the #1 contender match. and yeah pettis doesn't deserve an instant rematch because of the dominant performance by RDA.

im happy pettis lost. RDA had a great game plan. he also rocked him in the first and i dont think pettis really recovered from it.

tylerh1701.png 
Check out my game reviews at Video Chums!

#1142 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

Pettis said after the fight that the punch in the first round messed up his eye and completely closed it. So, he was fighting with one eye (and no depth perception) after that point. I do think he bought into his own hype a little bit though. The guy has loads of talent, but his takedown defense needs a crap ton of work. Basically, RDA just took what Clay Guida did to Pettis and magnified it times a thousand.

I was also pretty impressed with Johny Hendricks' performance. I've seen people on Sherdog bitching and calling it LNP, and even Dana has said he didn't love it, but I'm sorry...those were some pretty powerful takedowns. He was driving through Brown, and had him completely lifted up a couple times.

And he could have probably had a monster slam on that one if Brown hadn't latched onto the cage like a little bitch. If you're not going to scold a guy for breaking the rules and trying to cheat, how are you going to scold somebody for being "boring"? It's not like he was "Jake Shields'ing" the guy and just dragging him to the ground and then wrapping his legs around him like a wet blanket either. He was mauling, smothering, and suffocating. If Brown doesn't like it, get the Fuck up or don't let him take you down in the first place.

Look what happened to Esparza when she couldn't get the takedown. Learn some defensive wrestling and you won't have that problem. I'm not saying it was the best Hendricks has ever looked, but I think it's the direction he needs to go in. Getting back to his wrestling is going to open up his striking again. I'm all for Hendricks getting back to his fundamentals. It's much better than the flabby one punch pony that showed up for the Lawler fights.

#1143 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30504 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

I was impressed with Hendricks as well but seems like most fans werent. He was way more active than that 2nd Lawler fight.

tylerh1701.png 
Check out my game reviews at Video Chums!

#1144 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

I was impressed with Hendricks as well but seems like most fans werent. He was way more active than that 2nd Lawler fight.

Yeah, I just can't be upset watching somebody manhandle a high level opponent like that. Like I said, it would be different if he were just latching onto Brown and using his body weight and leverage to drag him down. But he was convincingly picking the guy up and dumping him. That's high level wrestling.

It always blows my mind when nobody places any blame on the guy who couldn't stop himself from being taken down. I mean, the RDA/Pettis fight felt strikingly similar, in my opinion. I mean, I guess RDA did more damage than Hendricks did...but the tone of the fight felt similar to me. Just brute strength and physical domination.

#1145 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

What's even more impressive now is the fact RDA was in there with a knee injury. He came out and said he hurt his knee a few weeks ago and his camp was telling him to pull out of the fight. That just makes the victory that much more impressive!

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#1146 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

I don't know where Overeem and Roy go from here. I can't see Overeem making any waves after his knock outs from Rothwell, Big Foot and Browne. Even the few times Roy had him back up he just covered up and waited. I feel that a much more technical striker like Miocic, JDS or Hunt will put him down.

Roy just looks like Roy. He seems to be on the downward swing of his career. Roy is pretty much a perfect case of maybe getting in shape would help him. He isn't stocky like Hunt, he is just fat. Maybe if he was in better shape cardio he would've been able to mount a bit more offense against Overeem the few times he had him backed up instead of doing ugly take downs.

Hendricks and Brown both impressed me. I really like Brown's ground game and like how he attacks, attacks, attacks. Sadly he just couldn't get anything going against such a good wrestler like Hendricks.

Carla showed that women's MMA is still two decades behind men's.

I like RDA, but I'm afraid the Khabib rematch will be the same as the first.

#1147 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, Roy just isn't that good. He's 7-7 since entering the UFC. His two biggest wins were against way past their prime Cro Cop and Big Nog. In a lot of ways, he's this era's Tank Abbott.

At one point, I thought he was supposed to be taking things seriously and getting into better shape. Wasn't there even talk about him dropping to 205? I thought it was around the time of his fight with Cormier. But looking back at weigh in results, he got down to 249 for that fight...which is really only 5-10lbs less than where he normally fights.

I dug up this article about it. My mind can't even process the photo in it. I'm half convinced that it's not actually Roy Nelson and this was a hoax, lol. Nothing else makes sense.

http://bleacherrepor...an-and-in-shape

#1148 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

Sooo...apparently Cyborg responded to Ronda's mom's comments...

http://www.mmamania....sy-daughter-mma

Yeah...I'm not sure if this is a parody or what, but if she actually made those statements, she's even dumber than I thought. She's using Joanna's fight as "proof" of how to stop takedowns? Does she really not understand the difference between Olympic level judo and small college wrestling?

I can't believe somebody with as much experience as Cyborg would make such an ignorant statement. Ronda isn't going to be shooting slow singles giving Cyborg all day to sprawl or move out of the way. I'll tell ya, seeing that statement makes me feel way better about Ronda's chances in that fight. That's some dumb shit.

#1149 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:27 AM

I dug up this article about it. My mind can't even process the photo in it. I'm half convinced that it's not actually Roy Nelson and this was a hoax, lol. Nothing else makes sense.

http://bleacherrepor...an-and-in-shape

Look up Roy vs Frank Mir in Grappler's Quest. Roy looks like a whole different person. Probably 50 lbs lighter and no mullet.

In terms of cardio and grappling he looked so much better. Instead of just having a heavy belly smothering top game he had a very active guard and was able to sweet Frank Mir multiple times in a match and win.

I don't like to agree with Dana, but I feel like Roy is just wasted potential. His BJJ game is completely dead in the UFC. You wouldn't even know that he practices it, let alone is a well respected black belt.

#1150 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia at UFC 190...in Brazil.

http://bleacherrepor...c-190-in-brazil

Ronda gives zero fucks, lol. Part of me wonders if she's even going to try winning over the Brazilian crowd, or if she just goes all Chael Sonnen for this one. It also makes me wonder how Cyborg feels about it, haha. Basically her dream fight going to somebody else.

#1151 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:12 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!! Brock Lesnar Doesn't Like Getting Punched In The Face!

:lol:

http://bleacherrepor...ts-and-reaction

#1152 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6286 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!! Brock Lesnar Doesn't Like Getting Punched In The Face!

http://bleacherrepor...ts-and-reaction

Haha, who doesn't? But it is really funny to see a big guy like Brock running around all scare.

#1153 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:47 AM

Haha, who doesn't?

Haha, true. But you know what I mean. Lesnar was the epitome of a school yard bully. It was all fun and games until somebody hit him back.

#1154 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6286 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:49 AM

Haha, true. But you know what I mean. Lesnar was the epitome of a school yard bully. It was all fun and games until somebody hit him back.

Yeah I know what you mean. I still remember that Carwin fight. He still won but it was funny watching him running around all scare.

#1155 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:22 AM

Some of my favorite Lesnar comments:

Duh...this is what I've been saying the whole time. When you're getting paid like that to show up as little as he does, you wouldn't ever go back to the UFC unless you just had fighting in your blood.

And this statement illustrates that he doesn't. And that's fine. It's just kind of crazy seeing his stance change from being "the baddest man on the planet" to "an entertainer".

#1156 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Long, but good read about Jason Thacker from TUF 1:
http://www.mmafighti...of-strange-brew

#1157 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Nick Diaz is now so high that he doesn't believe he was high...

http://sports.yahoo....46987--mma.html\

la la la la...la la la la...la la la la...da da da...da...da da da..da

98c336e037ca57a746154f8dd39fdca9_lg.jpg

#1158 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

God damn...Ken Shamrock is roided out of his mind again... What in the hell am I looking at?

#1159 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:12 AM

God damn...Ken Shamrock is roided out of his mind again... What in the hell am I looking at?

I was expecting him to be raging. But yeah that was kinda weird.

#1160 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

Good God, it looks like the UFC picked all the wrong fighters for the Strawweight TUF season. First Esparza gets dominated, now Calderwood gets subbed in the first round. They should have known all these crazy little Eastern European women are terrifying, lol. Guess that doesn't make for good TV though.

#1161 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1713 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:30 AM

So was the calderwood and cro cop fight free tonight ?
I couldn't find it on tv .
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#1162 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:17 AM

So was the calderwood and cro cop fight free tonight ?
I couldn't find it on tv .

I didn't even bother to look if it was tape delayed as I had minimal interest in watching it anyway, but it's a Fight Night, so I would assume it's a FS1 card. Either way, it took place in Poland earlier today.

#1163 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Happy that Crocop won, but neither one of those two guys looked like much. Gonzaga dominated pretty much until that short elbow clonked him and that ws the beginning of the end.

Crocop threw just about nothing standing.

Gonzaga couldn't finish the fight while in full mount.

I don't understand why Gonzaga was spending so much time going for S-mount. Why didn't he just unload heavy with hits instead of trying to pull up his leg into S-mount. He then seemed very tentative about going for an arm bar. Like he may go for it, he may not. Gonzaga is usually one of those guys who just seems to go for it (whether that is a choke, ground and pound, or something).

I don't know what they will do with either one of those guys.

#1164 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

I don't know what they will do with either one of those guys.

Market them to make it appear that the heavyweight division is still relevant. Oh wait...that's what they were already doing, lol. :lol:

#1165 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

So, Phil Davis decided to sign with Bellator.

Oh no...please don't go, Mr. Underachiever, lol. :lol:

#1166 bigpimpin24   Killamanjaro! CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

bigpimpin24

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

Luke Rockhold and Max Holloway really surprised a lot of people last night

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#1167 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

So, Phil Davis decided to sign with Bellator.

Oh no...please don't go, Mr. Underachiever, lol. :lol:

lol I remember the first time me and my friends saw Davis. It was like holy shit, that height, that reach and the way he moved at the start of the fight was like "man this guy is gonna be big"

Then the fight starts and he proceed to lay on people.

#1168 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I watched one fight of the card and stopped watching because I thought it was an old event. Son of a...

#1169 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

I'm gonna have to re-watch the Machida fight. What made him stumble in the first round that he fell. Looked like he almost slipped. He was doing decently for the first 90 seconds and then seemed to take a header.

I do think the corner or the doctor should've stopped it in between rounds. He was obviously still out of it when they sent him back in. He was wobbling and falling all over himself. That last huge elbow Rockhold dropped looked to be right to the back of the head (not saying it was intentional, just happened that way) and the shots you don't see are what cause all the damage. It wasn't that Machida was tired or just sustained abuse, he just had his bell rang in a massive way and probably had a big concussion. The next round he was just stumbling all over.

I did find the Joe commentary about how Luke had broken Machida's will and was looking for a way out a little much. It was more Machida had just had his brain bounce off the side skull and he pretty much out of it.

There are plenty of times you see someone's will broken, but that is when a guy is horrible ragdolled, grappled, ground and pounded, etc. and you can just see after a while the guy just wants out. I doubt a guy like Machida wants the easy way out since he let himself be choked unconscious instead of tapping to Jones.

I'm against early stoppages and was happy they didn't stop during the round, but when Machida was still stumbling the next round it should've been stopped.

At least it wasn't as bad as Satoshi Ishii's crew in the Crocop fight like 6 months ago. Ishii couldn't even stand up after being saved by the bell but two his guys were literally trying to pick him up but he still couldn't stand. After the minute or two went by and Ishiii was still on the floor the ref or doctor stopped the fight.

Machida hasn't had the most violent career so he probably isn't in much danger compared to alot of others, but he just seemed so discombobulated the 2nd round and I feel like his corner should look out for what's best for him health-wise. Guys like Frank Mir and Diego Sanchez are the ones I'm worried about.

I just don't want to see a bunch of punk drunk fighters in 5 or 10 years. In the words of Gary Goodridge, "My brain doesn't remember much these days".

#1170 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16892 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

I can't really blame Joe for upselling Rockhold. The reality is the UFC desperately needs new English speaking stars. And there's absolutely no reason in the world Rockhold couldn't be one of those guys. He's a good looking guy who is well spoken, and by all accounts, is very talented.

He's honestly probably even a better sell for them than Weidman (who just doesn't seem that personable to me). If Rockhold can become a viable threat to Weidman, it would be very good for business.