* * * * * 4 votes

Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

#1261 KryllFood   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

KryllFood

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Being a frequent seller on eBay...I can tell you that it isn't always worth it. When you're looking at TIV of $1-$2, sure, eBay will be far more worth your while.

However, when you're talking a difference between trading in for $16 vs selling on ebay for $26...you're better off saving the aggravation and trading it in. Not just in shipping costs + ebay fees + paypal fees, but also because Ebay has become a cess pool of fraudulent activity lately. Paypal's over-aggressive "buyer protection" and Ebay's now defunct negative feedback system are allowing con artists far too much leeway.
"Common sense isn't that common anymore..."

#1262 perfectsil   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

perfectsil

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Being a frequent seller on eBay...I can tell you that it isn't always worth it. When you're looking at TIV of $1-$2, sure, eBay will be far more worth your while.

However, when you're talking a difference between trading in for $16 vs selling on ebay for $26...you're better off saving the aggravation and trading it in. Not just in shipping costs + ebay fees + paypal fees, but also because Ebay has become a cess pool of fraudulent activity lately. Paypal's over-aggressive "buyer protection" and Ebay's now defunct negative feedback system are allowing con artists far too much leeway.

yep sellers can't even leave negative feedback on buyers now, so even if you check the buyer's history there's no way to tell if they have screwed over other people before.

#1263 hle078   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

just finishes borderlands 2, and thinking about trading it it. right now it is at $14, but w/ 50% bonus it would be $21. should i trade this in now or wait for the 100% bonus next week? i have a feeling they will drop it down to like $10 or something and even with 100%, its going to be $20. does best buy always drop their tiv before promos?
[URL="http://www.ps3trophies.com/profile/hyuklee"]Posted Image[/URL]

#1264 klimb22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2284 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I will add that, personally at least, I have my requirements set to only ship to the U.S. Too much hassle when it comes to selling internationally, and a much higher chance of having something go sour imo.

Sorry to continue the off topic eBay talk, but I used to do U.S. only until eBay introduced their Global Shipping Program. The seller only pays regular shipping rates to their hub in KY. I have been selling stuff faster and for higher prices since joining. The only negative is the higher PayPal fee for non-US buyers.

#1265 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3496 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hate to continue the eBay talk, but I actually tend to start off games at around what I'd get for a Best Buy trade. That way, I figure even at a minimum I'm getting cash instead of credit.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#1266 Chedeng88   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   218 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Sorry to continue the off topic eBay talk, but I used to do U.S. only until eBay introduced their Global Shipping Program. The seller only pays regular shipping rates to their hub in KY. I have been selling stuff faster and for higher prices since joining. The only negative is the higher PayPal fee for non-US buyers.

I updated my listings to Global Shipping Program too a few weeks back. But I haven't had a single international buyer yet, and my prices are even domestically competitive.

How much is the Paypal fee for international buyers?

#1267 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   15976 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Do you get any additional protection? Like once it's in KY, you're good on the delivery?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1268 klimb22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2284 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Do you get any additional protection? Like once it's in KY, you're good on the delivery?

The way it reads to me is that after it hits KY they do the international part and "you're in the clear". You still get tracking all the way to the destination.

#1269 klimb22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2284 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

i updated my listings to global shipping program too a few weeks back. But i haven't had a single international buyer yet, and my prices are even domestically competitive.

How much is the paypal fee for international buyers?

3.9%

#1270 eXiON   CAG Grandmaster CAGiversary!   1218 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Crap, looks like we're derailing this thread at a steady pace lol. To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much action going on with BB trade-ins atm. Guessing the days of pre-ordering a game and trading it in a month later for $35-40 are becoming slim.

I agree that it's far from perfect but those requirements do help to we out the type of people who would make a false claim.

You're right about that, I really wish we as sellers would get actual protection though (wishful thinking huh?). I just always hope when I sell something, that it's someone with either a high feedback or having been registered for more than a month. Those users that buy high end stuff having only been registered for a day or so are the ones that really scare the hell out of me. I've actually seen a few scumbags set their feedback to (private) that way you can't even see what others have said about them.

Thanks, I didn't know they introduced that. I'll be sure to check it out.

Hate to continue the eBay talk, but I actually tend to start off games at around what I'd get for a Best Buy trade. That way, I figure even at a minimum I'm getting cash instead of credit.

That reminded me of something, do you use buy it now or auction style? I ask this because, I've seen conflicting reports of users saying Auction style is definitely better when it comes to fees vs. a BIN with the same price.

#1271 J7.   $$$$ It CAGiversary!   7704 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

That reminded me of something, do you use buy it now or auction style? I ask this because, I've seen conflicting reports of users saying Auction style is definitely better when it comes to fees vs. a BIN with the same price.

For games and some other stuff: Auction style is 9%, BIN is 15% fees. What I do is either just start my auction at the bare minimum or start my auction as close as possible to my BIN price. Your BIN has to be 10% higher than your auction. That way I get as close to my BIN price as possible without paying an extra 6%.

Ebay also now puts their fees on your shipping so I just do free shipping now, always. I'm going to definitely look into that global shipping program if Ebay sides with the seller as long as it reaches their facility, that would be awesome.

#1272 mpaullin   Sure plays a mediocre pinball CAGiversary!   3255 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Back on topic: BB is dropping base values like crazy since yesterday. I've been keeping an eye out because I want to trade some stuff when 100% resumes, but it looks like all of the games I was looking at have dropped by a few bucks. Might be better off going to gamestop, though everything I want is on sale at BB.

#1273 DCpinoy  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Back on topic: BB is dropping base values like crazy since yesterday. I've been keeping an eye out because I want to trade some stuff when 100% resumes, but it looks like all of the games I was looking at have dropped by a few bucks. Might be better off going to gamestop, though everything I want is on sale at BB.

Saw that too. Highest value I saw was black ops 2 at 14.

#1274 panda911   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   945 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

panda911

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wtf did they really drop Far Cry 3 to 14 base? It was 22 not even a week ago. I hope BBY knows what they're doing. I'm really worried about what the TIV for big games that are a part of their promo. I'm hoping they're still ~40, otherwise I'm going to cancel most of my preorders and only pick up what I really want, which is only 2 games.

#1275 jiggyteddy   Frugal As Can Be CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

jiggyteddy

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Trade in values are like death and taxes...

I've got a few to trade in myself, but will wait it out. Just need a little more time to finish them...
Posted Image
Totally legit rewards app! Join shopkick on your smartphone then use promo code: tomato6347 to get 50 kicks instantly! I earned $360 in BB certificates for calendar year 2012 thanks to shopkick!

Now playing:
Metal Gear Rising, Fight Night Champion, and Dynasty Warriors 7.

My twitter is @jiggyteddy for my random ramblings...

#1276 killercane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

killercane

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Wtf did they really drop Far Cry 3 to 14 base? It was 22 not even a week ago. I hope BBY knows what they're doing. I'm really worried about what the TIV for big games that are a part of their promo. I'm hoping they're still ~40, otherwise I'm going to cancel most of my preorders and only pick up what I really want, which is only 2 games.

I could go on for days on this topic. As predicted, corporate support is being pulled bit by bit for the tradein program. I am sure they are having less and less money being allocated across the board for the program.

I remember when the program started talking to some guy doing my tradein who claimed to be on the executive board of gaming or whatnot for best buy that met in MN every so often to plan out the program. He guaranteed Gamestop would be on their heels in two years time. Last time I went by there he had been axed with all the other gaming managers companywide.

The current tradein program has been a colossal cluster from day one. They have still never gone away from the godawful pay to ship the game to texas for refurb (which they also pay for) and pay to have it shipped back to random stores. The transaction costs on that are enormous, and completely unnecessary for many handheld games. They never ever accurately figured out what the cost of entry into the market segment was. They have been guided by reactionaries only (2011 was the year of the Great BBY Flipping, late '11 and 2012 was the year of the bannings, and 2013 will be the year of the downward slide).

I do not see any way the gaming tradein department can survive through 2014 (I just hope bby survives in general). And the thing is, they could have had a great program if they just fixed all the little things and spent the money to build inventory and goodwill for 5 years.

#1277 eXiON   CAG Grandmaster CAGiversary!   1218 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

To not derail the thread any further, has anyone traded in a cartridge only Vita game?

For games and some other stuff: Auction style is 9%, BIN is 15% fees. What I do is either just start my auction at the bare minimum or start my auction as close as possible to my BIN price. Your BIN has to be 10% higher than your auction. That way I get as close to my BIN price as possible without paying an extra 6%.

Ebay also now puts their fees on your shipping so I just do free shipping now, always. I'm going to definitely look into that global shipping program if Ebay sides with the seller as long as it reaches their facility, that would be awesome.

Thanks, I always noticed people leaned more on the Auction style unless it's an item they know won't sell too fast. But I've always done BIN simply because I'd fear that it end up cheap if I played the 99 cents game. Before eBay changed their layout and forced you into categories, I would always go to a 'similar' one to shave off the a bit of the FVFs. Doesn't work too well now though since your auctions get hidden though.

#1278 mpaullin   Sure plays a mediocre pinball CAGiversary!   3255 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I could go on for days on this topic. As predicted, corporate support is being pulled bit by bit for the tradein program. I am sure they are having less and less money being allocated across the board for the program.

I remember when the program started talking to some guy doing my tradein who claimed to be on the executive board of gaming or whatnot for best buy that met in MN every so often to plan out the program. He guaranteed Gamestop would be on their heels in two years time. Last time I went by there he had been axed with all the other gaming managers companywide.

The current tradein program has been a colossal cluster from day one. They have still never gone away from the godawful pay to ship the game to texas for refurb (which they also pay for) and pay to have it shipped back to random stores. The transaction costs on that are enormous, and completely unnecessary for many handheld games. They never ever accurately figured out what the cost of entry into the market segment was. They have been guided by reactionaries only (2011 was the year of the Great BBY Flipping, late '11 and 2012 was the year of the bannings, and 2013 will be the year of the downward slide).

I do not see any way the gaming tradein department can survive through 2014 (I just hope bby survives in general). And the thing is, they could have had a great program if they just fixed all the little things and spent the money to build inventory and goodwill for 5 years.

Yeah, something is clearly going on with trades ins since values have plummeted over the past few weeks. I would be okay if they went down a little bit, since the values were almost too-good-to-be-true during the holidays (between the $20 preorder certificate and 60 day price match window, they paid me to play quite a few games after trading them back), but now they are worse than Gamestop in most cases (which is already really bad).

#1279 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16999 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

NSMBU tanked to $14 (from $20). Oh well.

Crunchewy.png

#1280 DealSeeker2U   Seize the deal! CAGiversary!   7820 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition

DealSeeker2U

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

To not derail the thread any further, has anyone traded in a cartridge only Vita game?

Yes I have. They take them same as they would DS or 3ds cartridges without the case.

#1281 DealSeeker2U   Seize the deal! CAGiversary!   7820 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition

DealSeeker2U

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Also, noticed the TIVs have changed and adjusted on the site akin to what they may be for 100% in bonus come tomorrow.

#1282 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3496 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

100% bump.

Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#1283 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3496 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

The biggest thing that has hurt them is that they've never known how to really sell the used games. They take to long to get back on the floor, their used prices are often higher than the new prices because the two sides of the office apparently aren't talking to each other, etc. It is just a mess. When someone walks into a store and sees that Medal of Honor: Warfighter is $14.99 new (last two days) but that the used version is $24.99, well they think the store has their head up their ass. Also, while in some ways I'm glad they don't, mixing used and new games might have helped them (how many soccer moms ignore the pre-owned but if searching for the game on the new shelf saw a used version for $10 less would grab that?) and of course the simple fact that so many people trade in disc only for no reason other than just cause they can they've wound up with a huge collection of ugly black cases in their pre-owned sections.

#1284 Scholarly_Sam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   466 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Scholarly_Sam

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Looks like my Best Buy trade-in days are coming to an end, used to be great @100%, then it was good, now it just seems kinda bad.

Will probably go back to just selling my stuff now...

#1285 metallicoholic   Metal 'Til I'm 60 CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

metallicoholic

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I know this is just piling on to what others have said but these TIV values are not urging me to trade with Best Buy. I had Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii-U ready to trade and it will net me a whopping $12.60. If this game was $20 or $30 normally I would understand but that's far too low for a $60 retail release from a few months ago.

I don't want to seem entitled to a certain TIV or anything but these values are abnormally low.
Posted Image

#1286 joker______   Careful...Icarus CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

joker______

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

PS Vita (white) WiFi base trade in value in store is $121
Posted Image

#1287 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Got $38.40($24 base.....yes, I know this is the same as the 100% @ BB) for Halo 4 at GameStop vs $26.40($12 base) at Best Buy. Both of these are with the 10% gamer club bonuses. Whoever wants that 50% bonus GameStop coupon and have the 6,000 points to get it, you have until tonight to do it. GS has a number of better TIVs, too. Just buy a used game for 49-99ยข to get the 50% bump.

Probably got more than twice I would have gotten at BB for the games I traded in. Halo 4 isn't something I'd play, but it was given to me with an Xbox and a bunch of others.

Edited by ChunLiBarbie, 04 February 2013 - 12:58 AM.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#1288 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10643 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

i was going to trade in medal of honor warfighter and sleeping dogs to bestbuy but

tiv for both after bonuses at bestbuy = 21
tiv for both before bonuses at gamestop = 27

nuff said
Currently playing
:ps4: fez, strider, blacklight retribution, the transistor

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#1289 etcrane   One Star for a Reason CAGiversary!   4471 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Hey guys, anyone know what happened to the Best Buy/GameStop flip thread?

#1290 still_tippin808   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   10 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

still_tippin808

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

$9 - ni no kuni? Wow...