X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Das_Regal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
113 (100%)
I ******* love this game. I can't believe there isn't a thread to discuss this.

A few discussion topics to start things out:

• Tell us about some of your cool moments (do it as spoiler free as possible)
  • I heard this game was designed to be moddable. True/false/more info?
  • Tips and tricks?

A couple of things I noticed:
  • There seems to be some anti-save cheating code that greatly lowers your chances of succeeding a skill check after you load a save.

Basically to keep you from saving/reloading until you succeed at a shot. If you have a 100% success rate in what you're doing, it doesn't seem to affect that. So you can use this to essentially "take back" a turn to do something else that's guaranteed (kind of like undoing a turn in chess) but not to succeed at a shot you missed the first time around.

• Things move faster if you skip the tutorial.

On my second game when I didn't use the tutorial, harder enemy types appeared much earlier in the game. I think it's because there's no tutorial stages, etc, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Capturing enemies with the arc thrower gives you intact alien weapons when you capture an enemy.

It's not just for the interrogation's purposes. You can get plasma early in the game (though you can't equip it until researching it later). But you can sell those or save them, which is monetarily amazing.

• It's generally safe to sell alien corpses after researching them.

Seems like they're only used to construct the one-time use modules, which I'm not too fond of.

I got the game through FB last night and played through the tutorial.
Tonight I am going to play it on the super hard mode and give it a serious GO!

[quote name='Das_Regal']Ironman or classic? :p[/QUOTE]

Ironman. I was talking to another CAG on FB about the only way I could enjoy TBS games against the CPU would have to be on the highest difficulty. I need the rougelike feel to get excited.

Ironman and Classic aren't incompatible. Ironman is just something you can toggle for any difficulty.

Just captured an alien base on classic, commander and all. The small squad size works way better than I thought it would, but the cover system works worse than I had expected.

A hell of a lot less waiting for missions in this one than in the original. That geoscape either three months of nothing or blotting out the sun with UFOs.

but you can skip time a lot faster.

and if you fail to down a ufo you don't have to wait another month for another one to appear. hell you don't even have to down the ufo in the original.

Time skip in the new Xcom is plenty fast; the problem is more likely that there are a lot more non-UFO-related interruptions.

And there are landed UFOs in this one, too.

annnnnddd I'm reminded why I will never support retail PC gaming. Good day, gents and ladies!

[quote name='Megazell']annnnnddd I'm reminded why I will never support retail PC gaming. Good day, gents and ladies![/QUOTE]

I only support them until they pull crap like this. People who never support retail just keep on giving themselves excuses to support piracy. If I really don't agree with something I just don't play that game, plain and simple. Succumbing to piracy just gives publishers more excuse for garbage such as this.

[quote name='kaiyouske']I only support them until they pull crap like this. People who never support retail just keep on giving themselves excuses to support piracy. If I really don't agree with something I just don't play that game, plain and simple. Succumbing to piracy just gives publishers more excuse for garbage such as this.[/QUOTE]

Why would I support piracy when I can support freeware, f2p and browser based gaming?

[quote name='kaiyouske']I only support them until they pull crap like this. People who never support retail just keep on giving themselves excuses to support piracy. If I really don't agree with something I just don't play that game, plain and simple. Succumbing to piracy just gives publishers more excuse for garbage such as this.[/QUOTE]
I don't see why the consumer should suffer for the companies mistake.

Publisher that can't get out of the antiquated mindset mindset that region locking, drm, ect... stops piracy rather than cause it deserve to go out of business.

Seems like 2k is doing reverse piracy, selling people the game then not letting them play it.

if the digital copy/key is region locked, there are ways around it to activate the product on steam. Its only the activation part that is the hindrance, once you activate the product on your steam account, you will have no problems downloading thereafter or playing the game.

And I agree, region locking digital keys is very antiquated, but its more on the mindset for marketing control and tracking how well a company's ad dollars are working within certain regions. 1970's way of thinking really and it shouldn't be present in today's globalization, specially for digital/virtual products.

Just got this game yesterday, and haven't had too much time to play around with it, but I'm loving the nostalgia feeling I get while playing it.

Another cool feature that caught me off guard: My Alienware keyboard lights are controlled by the game, it turns blue when it's my turn, and red when the aliens are making their turn.

i get no nostalgia from this game, but it's still fun.

i'm now at the stage of the game where i need crap tons of weapon fragments but it takes so long for events to appear! man.

my team is getting close to faceroll status. may be time to move on to classic difficulty.

Love this game - it's been burning too many of my hours and I've needed to force myself not to play in order to get "regular life" stuff done :D

Currently playing Ironman Normal mode - decided that I didn't want to save/re-load and kinda glad I did. There's a certain anguish/exhilaration during the missions in Ironman mode. There's been a few of "those" missions where something bad happens, and it kicks off a chain reaction of pretty horrible stuff. I'm generally a quiet person, but this is the first game that had me go "Nooooooo!" out loud when my top character died on a FUBAR mission (RIP Col. Yukiko 'Crash' Ishikawa...). It's actually put "retreat" as a viable tactic for me at this point. On the exhilaration side, there is the thrill of pulling victory out by the skin of your teeth, balanced by the losses that victory required (more than a few times, a poor rookie gets wasted near the close of a mission due to a wayward critical - had a poor rook who did an admirable job stunning 2 enemies during a mission, only to die at the end). If losing characters isn't something that'll cause you to rage quit, I'd recommend Ironmade mode for the pathos of the experience :D

Loving this game. Probably going to have to start over though because I screwed myself because it seems to be forcing me to fight an alien base with 1 good character and a bunch of noobs I haven't even sent into battle yet because my normal teams are recovering. Also didn't know satellites were going to take 20 days to build either and now a bunch of countries are panicing.

I had one mission where a chain of my guys panicking went off and 3 out of 5 of my troops got killed by each other. I reloaded from that crap.

This game has taken over. I have poured more hours into it already than Borderlands 2 and NBA 2K13 which I both love!

Also finding that the more I play, the more I appreciate each of the different ability paths available. In the very beginning, I use to think "Why would I bother with Gunslinger for the Sniper?" and now it's in half of all of my Sniper builds for those close-in and/or high mobility engagements (I basically started to create "Urban Sniper" and "Open Area Sniper" builds depending on the situation).

Recently had a "The Rock" moment when my team was on low ground and surrounded up high by Mutons. Yeah, that was a messy one...

there are certain times when i play games where something happens and then i don't wanna play anymore

that happened to me here. with a bug.
i was already tired of battle scanners getting thrown under the map but i dealt with it.
then i had a guy who was in critical condition and he sank under the stage so i couldn't revive. ok, fine, whatever, he wasn't that good anyway.
but nooo the game had to crash on an alien turn for no reason.

asdghioasd;ashbvasdbsfaso;dsda;fas
it's like playing skyrim all over again

I've been having hankmecrankme create a slideshow of all the bugs I've encountered so far.

Sadly, I was unable to screenshot the "bullets flying 90 degrees straight up" bug.

I love this game! Preordered it and haven't stopped playing; exactly what an update to a classic should be, can't believe the naysayers that just want an update of the same game!

[quote name='christagamer'] I love this game! Preordered it and haven't stopped playing; exactly what an update to a classic should be, can't believe the naysayers that just want an update of the same game![/QUOTE]
Some people just wanted a HD remake of XCOM and are that diehard about it. I for one am glad they added in new stuff to add the game. Can't wait for tonight to start playing, going to do Ironman mode because it's there and it's more fun losing.

Stuck and have question about end of game
Is there anything after the Alien Temple ship? When I went to IGN to look at a guide just now they only have three essential missions and nothing after. I'm stuck with 3 people on my squad on the last one and the squad isn't getting any bigger if I recruit more troops. I don't know if it is a bug or if it takes a while before you can used them after you recruit.
I might just start over. Most my squad is injured but not dead but I am stuck on this mission.

Started a new game.

One thing I wish they would add is a way for me to create to create my characters appearance and name and transfer that over to other games without having to do it all over again.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Stuck and have question about end of game
Is there anything after the Alien Temple ship? When I went to IGN to look at a guide just now they only have three essential missions and nothing after. I'm stuck with 3 people on my squad on the last one and the squad isn't getting any bigger if I recruit more troops. I don't know if it is a bug or if it takes a while before you can used them after you recruit.
I might just start over. Most my squad is injured but not dead but I am stuck on this mission.[/QUOTE]
It takes a couple days for soldiers to arrive.

That big-ass motherfucking capital ship is the final mission.

Why don't you just wait for the injuries to subside?

By the time any of them recover which is about 5 days, where the ship lands gives up support for the counci if I wait. pPus I don't even get my new troops before they give up support either so either I go in and try to beat the mission with 2 people or lose support. I messed up my first game anyways.

Ah, makes sense. But I'm not clear on which ship this is, exactly.

Have you fought an ethereal yet? If not, it's not the last mission.

If you have and this is the mission you have to use the gollop chamber for, then yeah, final mission.

Just started playing this and wow. I love that the game isn't complicated to learn yet there is a lot of depth to it. Started Normal Ironman and well I am getting my ass handed to me, but it's fun.

I think this is one of the few games you can easily spend 10+ hours on the campaign only to have it go into the shitter by one wrong move in Ironman mode.

What's piracy got anything to do with it...

Punishing legit customers with archaic DRM is where they started to cross the line and I walked away and never looked back, I used to buy PC games by the droves in the 90's and early 2000's, then DRM started popping up, I went to console gaming and only until GoG.com and other companies releasing games DRM free have I started to go back into the PC gaming waters.

They (publishers) shot themselves in the foot on this one, I don't feel sorry for them one bit. That's why most PC Gamers have to accept Steam as the norm if they want to play a game pretty much these days (another reason I don't support PC as much as I used to and I don't use Steam either)

That's the way I feel about (right or wrong) but I don't buy into your argument you posted one bit.

Finally beat the game once on normal. I don't think I'll do another play through right away since I got tons of other stuff to play but I really did like the game. I'm hoping for some good dlc for me to come back to.

bread's done
Back