Rumor: Black Friday PS3 Superslim bundle w/ 2 games $200 (Confirmed!)

Logical Dolphin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My local GameStop Manager informed me that (like last year) Sony will have a 2 game superslim PS3 bundle for $200 for Black Friday. He got this information from the Sony rep. No details on what the games are, or how big the hard drive is inside the PS3.

I was thinking that the PS3 Superslim in this bundle may very well be the 16GB Flash version, that was already cleared by the FCC...

UPDATE 10/26:
Just saw this today at my local Fry's store:

A new Sony produced 250GB PS3 superslim bundle containing 4 games (2 collections of 2 games):

The Infamous Collection (Infamous 1 & 2 and all DLC)
Uncharted 1 & 2 dual pack

The bundle (like the superslim Uncharted 3 bundle) sells for $270.

However, I believe this may very well be the Black Friday bundle, since Sony hasn't made an previous announcement about this bundle like they did for the superslim Uncharted 3 & Assassin's Creed 3 bundle. It fits the profile for a Black Friday bundle containing at least 2 games. Also Fry's tends to get the new Sony hardware SKUs much earlier than any other store...

Here is what it looks like:

7323584.big.jpg

According to the link below the price for this bundle is $223.99, close to $50 less than its original price.
http://www.antarespro.com/7250763-item-SONY-99034-711719990345.aspx

11/2/11

Ad confirmation from Shopko (thanks to ndheah):
NmbXA.jpg

11/5/11
Radio Shack ad has been leaked. Same PS3 BF bundle selling for $220.

http://bfads.net/Ad/RadioShack-2012

11/7/11
Sams Club is selling it for $250 (includes extra controller)
http://bfads.net/Ad/Sams-Club-2012/Page2

Best Buy lists the bundle for $200
http://blackfriday.com/stores/best-..._Nov07&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

11/8/11
Walmart lists this bundle at $199
http://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/flyers/black-friday

11/9/11
Target: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Target-2012/Page2

11/10/11
Toys R US: $199.99 (includes PS3 Air-Flo controller)
http://bfads.net/Ad/Toys-R-Us-2012/Page8

11/13/11
Hastings: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Hastings-2012/Page2

Meijer: $199.99
http://bfads.net/Ad/Meijer-2012

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kilik64']And this is a deal how?

Got a time machine or something?[/QUOTE]

Really, guy? Really? This isn't an "MSRP is not a deal" thread.

What does the FCC have to do with this?

Nevermind

This Would have been a good option for me since I had a 500GB hard drive. Well now I have a extra 250GB HD from the one I just bought. I wonder what 2 games.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That's what I thought.[/QUOTE]

The 12GB was exclusive to Europe, Sony filed a 16GB version to be evaluated to the US FCC months ago. I don't know what the HDD size for this bundle will be, I'm just stating it could be this 16GB flash version of the PS3...

[quote name='kupomogli']It won't be the 16GB model. 16GB is exclusive to Europe.[/QUOTE]

The Sony press release stated that Europe was initially going to get the flash memory version of the PS3. This doesn't rule out a US release, and Sony has that option since they filed that model with the US FCC...

My Verizon rep leaked to me the release date that Verizon would start carrying the iPhone 4 six months before it happened.

He told me it in binary, which I understood it as February 10, 2011, so it's not unheard of for these guys to get info.

[quote name='JAlbertL']16GB!? Are HDD easy to swap out of the Slimmer PS3s?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, if you put a HDD in once of these models you lose access to the 16GB flash memory...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']The Sony press release stated that Europe was initially going to get the flash memory version of the PS3. This doesn't rule out a US release, and Sony has that option since they filed that model with the US FCC...[/QUOTE]

I think it's unlikely they will include the flash version in a $200 bundle considering last year they offered a $200 bundle everywhere with the HD and two games on a unit that was more expensive to build. I could see them doing a $150 deal possibly without games.

[quote name='aircobra']Not really surprised. Last year it was $199 as well.[/QUOTE]

yep and it was *awesome*. Finally got mine from amazon with that deal. Then right after Target misprinted the 1 year PS+ cards for like 13 bucks. :D

still got more then a year left of sub and been subbed since November last year for less then 30 bucks.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']From what I understand, if you put a HDD in once of these models you lose access to the 16GB flash memory...[/QUOTE]

Wow.. just... WOW. I knew these new PS3's were pieces of shit just by the general design. I mean they seriously look like a Chinese bootleg PS3 instead of a real ps3. Im amazed that cheap disk sliding thing was green lit. BUT, the fact that theres a 16gb model and now hearing this is just unbelivable. With how much space PS3 games take with their mandatory patches and installs that 16gb will be gone in about 4 or 5 games easily!

Honestly this seems like a shitty ass deal to me. I was hoping they would clearance out the good 160gb models for about $125-$150 or so. I know my local BBY has an absurd ammount of them. Maybe theyll have something going on BF

^_^x KD

I just want some sorta deal on a 160gb before they're gone. Even if it's just a $50 GC. Sony really screwed up with these super slims and their sliding cover

[quote name='Kenshindono']Wow.. just... WOW. I knew these new PS3's were pieces of shit just by the general design. I mean they seriously look like a Chinese bootleg PS3 instead of a real ps3. Im amazed that cheap disk sliding thing was green lit. BUT, the fact that theres a 16gb model and now hearing this is just unbelivable. With how much space PS3 games take with their mandatory patches and installs that 16gb will be gone in about 4 or 5 games easily!

Honestly this seems like a shitty ass deal to me. I was hoping they would clearance out the good 160gb models for about $125-$150 or so. I know my local BBY has an absurd ammount of them. Maybe theyll have something going on BF

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Um, I am waiting for the 16GB model. It's a flash drive like an SSD. The PS3 operating system boot-up and PSN games would load incredibly fast. This model allows you to hook up a giant USB external drive for any other games, like the Wii U is doing. Just keep any of your currently playing games on the flash drive and it's all good. Imagine instead of waiting 30 seconds in between each loading screen, it was 3 seconds. Installs would takes only seconds. My Windows 7 PC with an SSD boots in 15 seconds ready to go.

Edit: Apparently the BD speed is still going to be a bottleneck for retail games.

[quote name='gordojones88']Um, I am waiting for the 16GB model. It's a flash drive like an SSD. The PS3 operating system boot-up and games would load incredibly fast. This model allows you to hook up a giant USB external drive for any other games, like the Wii U is doing. Just keep any of your currently playing games on the flash drive and it's all good. Imagine instead of waiting 30 seconds in between each loading screen, it was 3 seconds. Installs would takes only seconds. My Windows 7 PC with an SSD boots in 15 seconds ready to go.[/QUOTE]

I think your under some delusions as to the issue with PS3 load times. The issue was not the HD speed, the issue was the BD read speed. They load quite a bit slower than DVD drives and stuff like that. Installing to the HD just helps with the load times for some games, for others its basically manditory. You cant actually do a full install to the HD and bypass the slow BD player. And if you have to install all your games on a USB external drive, how will that help at all? If anything that would load slower than an internal HD. You only have 16gb of internal memory, thats NOTHING for a PS3 where most games have about a 4 gig manditory install.

Seems like a huge hassle to constantly have to rotate 2 or 3 games on and off the internal memory. Like i said im really hoping for a 160gb sale. Looks like a few others are too

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']I think your under some delusions as to the issue with PS3 load times. The issue was not the HD speed, the issue was the BD read speed. They load quite a bit slower than DVD drives and stuff like that. Installing to the HD just helps with the load times for some games, for others its basically manditory. You cant actually do a full install to the HD and bypass the slow BD player. And if you have to install all your games on a USB external drive, how will that help at all? If anything that would load slower than an internal HD. You only have 16gb of internal memory, thats NOTHING for a PS3 where most games have about a 4 gig manditory install.

Seems like a huge hassle to constantly have to rotate 2 or 3 games on and off the internal memory. Like i said im really hoping for a 160gb sale. Looks like a few others are too

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I play PSN games almost exclusively, see my sig. Hence why a bunch of space isn't an issue for me. I'm currently using less than half of my phat 60GB and could easily delete a bunch. The 16GB isn't for everyone. I had indeed overlooked the BD speed issue of the PS3, as I install all my 360 games to the HDD and play them that way. It looks like this is a really good excuse to start buying digital download retail games instead of disc based retail games if I can buy one of these.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Wow.. just... WOW. I knew these new PS3's were pieces of shit just by the general design. I mean they seriously look like a Chinese bootleg PS3 instead of a real ps3. Im amazed that cheap disk sliding thing was green lit. BUT, the fact that theres a 16gb model and now hearing this is just unbelivable. With how much space PS3 games take with their mandatory patches and installs that 16gb will be gone in about 4 or 5 games easily![/QUOTE]

That's why you put your own HDD in there. Many people have laptop HDDs sitting around not being used that they can throw in there. If not, a 500GB drive costs about $60, and a 1TB drive costs less than $100.

[quote name='Kenshindono']I think your under some delusions as to the issue with PS3 load times. The issue was not the HD speed, the issue was the BD read speed. They load quite a bit slower than DVD drives and stuff like that. Installing to the HD just helps with the load times for some games, for others its basically manditory. You cant actually do a full install to the HD and bypass the slow BD player. And if you have to install all your games on a USB external drive, how will that help at all? If anything that would load slower than an internal HD. You only have 16gb of internal memory, thats NOTHING for a PS3 where most games have about a 4 gig manditory install.

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]
No, the harddrive read speed is definitely responsible for quite a good amount of loading times. Putting an SSD in a PS3 makes many games just fly. Texture popup can also be practically eliminated. And of course, any games downloaded from PSN will be completely reliant on the SSD/HDD in the console.

But the 16GB internal memory probably isn't like an SSD. It'd be closer to the internal memory on stuff like smartphones and tablets, which is pretty slow. But the 16GB model is a prime candidate for putting an SSD in, so it works out anyway.

But all of this is pretty irrelevant when we have no idea if this PS3 model would even be the 12/16GB version or not.

[quote name='GuyManDude']That's why you put your own HDD in there. Many people have laptop HDDs sitting around not being used that they can throw in there. If not, a 500GB drive costs about $60, and a 1TB drive costs less than $100.[/QUOTE]

No, it's very likely the 16GB model will not accept any HDD. It might accept a bigger SSD though, maybe.

[quote name='gordojones88']No, it's very likely the 16GB model will not accept any HDD. It might accept a bigger SSD though, maybe.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, that doesn't make any sense. SSDs and HDDs use the exact same enclosure and connectors, it's literally impossible for it to work with one if it doesn't work with the other. The European 12GB model is exactly like the standard PS3 that includes a harddrive, except that it has flash memory that's used when a SATA drive isn't connected. They didn't remove the drive bay.

And again, the internal memory definitely isn't an SSD. They don't even make 16GB SSDs.

Is the 12GB/16GB model out in Europe or Japan yet?
Does anybody have any links of somebody messing around inside of it?
I've googled a few different things and can't find anything.
It's still my preferred model if they offer it in the US.

[quote name='Edge']No, the hard drive read speed is definitely responsible for quite a good amount of loading times. Putting an SSD in a PS3 makes many games just fly. Texture popup can also be practically eliminated. And of course, any games downloaded from PSN will be completely reliant on the SSD/HDD in the console.

But the 16GB internal memory probably isn't like an SSD. It'd be closer to the internal memory on stuff like smartphones and tablets, which is pretty slow. But the 16GB model is a prime candidate for putting an SSD in, so it works out anyway.

But all of this is pretty irrelevant when we have no idea if this PS3 model would even be the 12/16GB version or not.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. The Ps3 is known to have a short supply of RAM. In theory faster load times would solve pop-up, but not if the RAM is still being saturated to the point it has to dump those textures every time the viewpoint is shifted to reload new ones (character turns towards a town, then turns towards wilderness, PS3 constantly switching between house/brick wall, castle keep textures, to then have to dump for tree/mountain/bush/grass textures and the physics that go with it. I also wonder what the specs are for this SSD they are putting in it. Just because it's an SSD doesn't mean jack. The SSD they put in the first versions of the Asus Aspire One's were so much slower than a hard disk. They could just be using the term SSD for marketing slang more than anything. There is also the problem that SSD's hit a wall. When you transfer the drives total capacity, the speed drops off a cliff (actually known as the "write cliff", as it has to write back over previous data now, and because of it's drive leveling design that becomes a slow chore. Despite what "common knowledge" is about SSD's, they aren't the Holy Grail of gaming. These reasons are exactly why I haven't bought one yet (that and that they can't be encrypted).
It's also a fact that the larger the SSD, the faster it is. So a smaller SSD along the lines of 16 GB is definitely a worry. You see $50 SSD's go on sale all the time at places like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com, but checking their specs you see they don't produce more than 100-150 read/write MB's/sec. For gaming a RAID array is still the way to go. Until practical speeds can be achieved with cheap SSD's, and the technical hurdles overcome with their performance in the long term, putting them in a console is little more than a gimmick for consumers who shop based on only hearing buzz words.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?id=57255&PageMem=2

[quote name='walkonshadows']Maybe. The Ps3 is known to have a short supply of RAM. In theory faster load times would solve pop-up, but not if the RAM is still being saturated to the point it has to dump those textures every time the viewpoint is shifted to reload new ones (character turns towards a town, then turns towards wilderness, PS3 constantly switching between house/brick wall, castle keep textures, to then have to dump for tree/mountain/bush/grass textures and the physics that go with it. I also wonder what the specs are for this SSD they are putting in it. Just because it's an SSD doesn't mean jack. The SSD they put in the first versions of the Asus Aspire One's were so much slower than a hard disk. They could just be using the term SSD for marketing slang more than anything. There is also the problem that SSD's hit a wall. When you transfer the drives total capacity, the speed drops off a cliff (actually known as the "write cliff", as it has to write back over previous data now, and because of it's drive leveling design that becomes a slow chore. Despite what "common knowledge" is about SSD's, they aren't the Holy Grail of gaming. These reasons are exactly why I haven't bought one yet (that and that they can't be encrypted).
It's also a fact that the larger the SSD, the faster it is. So a smaller SSD along the lines of 16 GB is definitely a worry. You see $50 SSD's go on sale all the time at places like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com, but checking their specs you see they don't produce more than 100-150 read/write MB's/sec. For gaming a RAID array is still the way to go. Until practical speeds can be achieved with cheap SSD's, and the technical hurdles overcome with their performance in the long term, putting them in a console is little more than a gimmick for consumers who shop based on only hearing buzz words.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?id=57255&PageMem=2[/QUOTE]

Rage was the absolute worst offender when it came to texture draw in (that game actually DID dump textures from RAM when you turned away from them), and an SSD removed texture pop up almost entirely:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/ps3-hard-drive-vs-ssd-comparison-video-rage

There's not really going to be any issues with a recent SSD, they're all plenty fast for use in a PS3. Even those cheapo Agility or Vertex drives that have been making the rounds lately are more than enough since the PS3's port is only a SATA 1 and you won't get much more than 130MB/S or around there out of it. Using a higher end one would just be a waste. Oh and even those $50 Tigerdirect etc drives are pretty darn good now, the 120GB Vertex 3 was $50 and it hits over 400MB/S easily.

And nothing has said the 12 or 16 GB PS3 models are using SSDs at all. They're not marketing it as such, no reason to think that's what it uses.

[quote name='gordojones88']Yes, but I play PSN games almost exclusively, see my sig. Hence why a bunch of space isn't an issue for me. I'm currently using less than half of my phat 60GB and could easily delete a bunch. The 16GB isn't for everyone. I had indeed overlooked the BD speed issue of the PS3, as I install all my 360 games to the HDD and play them that way. It looks like this is a really good excuse to start buying digital download retail games instead of disc based retail games if I can buy one of these.[/QUOTE]

Ah well then that just may work. Im the opposite, i never buy DLC games =) To each his own, I just figured youd be disappointed if you thought it would magically load almost instantly still reading off a BD. I still think it wouild be a hassle moving games back and forth on an external HD all the time, but i have a massive library.

Im actually not sure how quickly it would load even on a DLC game. In theory it should be faster, but i wonder if it really would be. As someone else mentioned, the internal memory is NOT a SSD. Let us know if you wind up picking one up.

oh ya, how do you back the games up on an external HD btw? I need to do that with my saves before i transfer everything over to my newer slim from my old fat. Do you just plug any old USB HD in and transfer them? I seem to recall you had to make folders on USB sticks

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']oh ya, how do you back the games up on an external HD btw? I need to do that with my saves before i transfer everything over to my newer slim from my old fat. Do you just plug any old USB HD in and transfer them? I seem to recall you had to make folders on USB sticks

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]
You can just use the built in Back Up utility that's under settings if you want to completely back up your harddrive, it lets you save it all on a USB device. But it will only restore copy protected content (like certain saves) on the SAME PS3 that you did the backup from. If you want to actually transfer 100% of your data from your old PS3 to your new one, then you can connect them together with an ethernet cable and use the TRANSFER utility (it's in the same place as the back up utility) and it will entirely move the contents of your first PS3 to the second. That's probably your best bet as long as you're in posession of both PS3s at the same time, it will also be way faster transfering over ethernet than through a USB stick or harddrive or whatever.

how my house is set up now and my massive backlog of handheld games it would have to be

200 bucks with 2 VERY GOOD GAMES with 320 GB hard drive + gift card to make me buy one

other rumor was WII are falling to 79 bucks that i highly doubt

[quote name='Kenshindono']Wow.. just... WOW. I knew these new PS3's were pieces of shit just by the general design. I mean they seriously look like a Chinese bootleg PS3 instead of a real ps3. Im amazed that cheap disk sliding thing was green lit. BUT, the fact that theres a 16gb model and now hearing this is just unbelivable. With how much space PS3 games take with their mandatory patches and installs that 16gb will be gone in about 4 or 5 games easily!

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

IMO 16GB is plenty of storage for the casual player whom doesn't play very many games. The current typical PS3 game doesn't have a large install requirement at all, so I am sure you can play far more than 5 games and not worry about storage space.

This system (as is) is certainly not suitable for those that like to download a lot of content from PSN, or are interested in PS+.

This would also be a good system to get for those interested in immediately upgrading the HDD to a size that Sony doesn't yet offer in a PS3 (750GB-1TB).

bread's done
Back