Need some advice on selling NES game lot

sm04as

CAGiversary!
Feedback
394 (100%)
I'm in the process of trying to some of NES games, all cart only (maybe 1-2 manuals) + a game genie. They are all in basic good condition, but some have marker writing / rental stickers / damage to the label or cart. There are a quite a few duplicates, especially Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, but it's also a solid list of unique titles.

First I am wondering where is the best place to sell all of this? I started with a list of 50 games and started posting it on Craigslist, and all I basically got were a bunch of "How much...?" and one wanted them for $1 a game so far. I haven't sold much on ebay, but I'm guessing all the fees, probable insurance or shipping confirmation that I will likely have to purchase would minimize the profit greatly. I was thinking of having my first ever lowball, but then I'd have to possibly deal with 20+ packages and I am not sure I need that hassle right now. My preference would be to sell this as a lot, that way I can also unload the duplicates. I don't really have the time right now to list them individually or small groups even though that might be a better way to make money.

Also I don't really know what a good price for this lot is. These are mostly common games, but a few good ones like Zelda and the Castlevania series. Since nobody is actually making offers or at least a fair one, what can I expect to get for this at the very minimum (and max) ? Or which games are the more rare / less common that I should think about holding on to or at least not be suckered into getting a buck for it?

Some of these are duplicates and as I was deciding which ones were aesthetically better, I noticed that the same title game had small differences. For instance one copy of Zelda has the picture of the "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality" on the right bottom of the label, while the other has "This Seal Is Your Assurance That We Approved and Guaranteed the Quality of This Product" in the bottom center. Some games like Wizards & Warriors has a copy with 3 screws and another with 5. Others have a year on the back label, but another copy does not. I also noticed Spiritual Warfare has a large sticker on the back with "Caution..." and another copy has the same words "engraved" into the cart itself. Is there any difference in value between the 2 types or were they just printed at different times and it really means nothing?

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't sell the entire lot cheap then people will just cherry pick a few titles and you'll get stuck with a lot of shovelware.

I would just set a time frame on how long you want to get rid of them and then take the highest offer on the lot so long as you thinks its fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest with you, nothing on your list stands out to me as being rare, valuable, or sought after. If someone wants to pay you a dollar each, cash money, I'd take it.

Much depends on condition, but even so you'd do better breaking this up ($1 each is around what I buy locally at for resell). Here's what you could do with a little labor and some ebay / amazon:

Castlevania 1, 2, 3 (set) - $20-30
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 - $20+
The Legend of Zelda - You can clear $8 each

Depending how deep you want to dig...

Ninja Gaiden
Batman
Blaster Master
Double Dragon 2
Chip 'N Dale
Ghosts "N Goblins
Gradius
Gunsmoke
TMNT

..most of the cheap but good titles will pull $16 per count of four.

Commons plus anything that doesn't sell individually (Spiritual Warfare I'm guessing, has value but is a slow seller) -> $60 shipped per 20 carts.

Yeah, the idea is to sell as much as you can first individually, or use small bundles to piece out the dupes, and finally liquidate when you've mined as much as possible. It's probably about $150-160 in there.

[quote name='needler420']If you don't sell the entire lot cheap then people will just cherry pick a few titles and you'll get stuck with a lot of shovelware.

I would just set a time frame on how long you want to get rid of them and then take the highest offer on the lot so long as you thinks its fair.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully by selling it as a lot, I can avoid all that. I do like the idea about putting a time frame on this.

[quote name='spmahn']I'll be honest with you, nothing on your list stands out to me as being rare, valuable, or sought after. If someone wants to pay you a dollar each, cash money, I'd take it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was just hoping I had a gem in there. To be honest I bought and collected these a long time ago, and I don't really remember what I paid for all of these.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Much depends on condition, but even so you'd do better breaking this up ($1 each is around what I buy locally at for resell). Here's what you could do with a little labor and some ebay / amazon:

Ninja Gaiden
Batman
Blaster Master
Double Dragon 2
Chip 'N Dale
Ghosts "N Goblins
Gradius
Gunsmoke
TMNT

Commons plus anything that doesn't sell individually (Spiritual Warfare I'm guessing, has value but is a slow seller) -> $60 shipped per 20 carts.

Yeah, the idea is to sell as much as you can first individually, or use small bundles to piece out the dupes, and finally liquidate when you've mined as much as possible. It's probably about $150-160 in there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the ideas. I think the sets you mentioned are in pretty good condition, but probably one Zelda has a disfigured label. My only concerns about selling online are the mishaps I read about that include non-paying bidders or the ones who outright lie about not receiving it. I suppose it can happen once in awhile, but it could really screw around with your feedback and earnings. Also I think with this type of selling it will be a few weeks at minimum before I'm able to sell everything and finish liquidating them.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Much depends on condition, but even so you'd do better breaking this up ($1 each is around what I buy locally at for resell). Here's what you could do with a little labor and some ebay / amazon:

Ninja Gaiden
Batman
Blaster Master
Double Dragon 2
Chip 'N Dale
Ghosts "N Goblins
Gradius
Gunsmoke
TMNT

Yeah, the idea is to sell as much as you can first individually, or use small bundles to piece out the dupes, and finally liquidate when you've mined as much as possible. It's probably about $150-160 in there.[/QUOTE]

Op this is what to do... Indigo was very generous to take the time to research for you and then list his findings...
Just take the groups, look up completed Ebay auctions for the same or "like" listings subract the Ebay fees and list the sets here for the net amount you would receive through Ebay (plus exact shipping of course)...

Put all the rest on craigs for about a $1 each... example if you are left with 19 or 21, sell them for an even $20 ...

few simple transactions, no Ebay exposure... you net the same $ while members here get a pretty good deal... everyone wins...

[quote name='sm04as']Hopefully by selling it as a lot, I can avoid all that. I do like the idea about putting a time frame on this.

Yea, I was just hoping I had a gem in there. To be honest I bought and collected these a long time ago, and I don't really remember what I paid for all of these.

Thanks for the ideas. I think the sets you mentioned are in pretty good condition, but probably one Zelda has a disfigured label. My only concerns about selling online are the mishaps I read about that include non-paying bidders or the ones who outright lie about not receiving it. I suppose it can happen once in awhile, but it could really screw around with your feedback and earnings. Also I think with this type of selling it will be a few weeks at minimum before I'm able to sell everything and finish liquidating them.[/QUOTE]

1. non-paying bidder -cost 5 cent to relist or do a buy it now, shouldnt be a problem.
2. Use delver confirmation, should take care of most of the problem.
3. I usually have problem with less than 1% of my sales, something I am willing to deal with instead of using craigslist.

Dude trust me just ebay it. Sell it as a lot or split it into 2 lots. The resellers compete on lots. Sellers like Lukiegames or JJgames, almost guaranteed they won't give you problems. Only problem will be if a collector snags the auction which would be slim since most collectors buy singles not a lot with games they have already just to snag a few titles.

My last 2 lots were bought by Lukie and JJ.
Bought a bunch of dreamcast games for $60 sold em to lukie for $450
$16 on NES games sold to JJ for $105

NES lots do very well
All depends on how fast you want to move em.

Thanks for the input. I did try selling these games here before, but I didn't get much of a response. I guess it was partly because I only occasionally bumped up my list and work got in the way.

Actually I was able to sell everything this afternoon. The guy was persistent (could have been your Lukie or JJ) and kept going higher and higher in offer. Thanks Indigo_SL, I did use some of your assessment in trying decide to what a decent price was. I did sort of get jipped a little at the end, but I think it was because I was a little excited at what I thought was a good deal.

The next time I do sell a game lot, I will consider going through Ebay and keep them in mind. I think I could have gone higher if I played it more smartly or waited a little longer and read some more of your posts. Maybe next time...

bread's done
Back