- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (10/14/12 to 10/20/12)

#61 radioactivez0r   Up and Atom! CAGiversary!   3883 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

radioactivez0r

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

I agree with the poster who wished this was during the week of 10/30...good releases that week. Right now, there aren't 2 $60 console games I want.
Posted Image

#62 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   7637 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Except that in your example you're comparing 2 instances of b2g1 against 3 instances of b2g50gc so of course the deal with higher number of usages seems better. Either way you slice it b2g1 is $120 with 60 value and b2g50gc is $120 with 50 value, so at least purely monetarily, the former is better. The latter makes up for the 10 difference in value with its flexibility.

My example was just more for illustration than being practical. This year's promo essentially equates to a $25 value on a per game versus while the previous B2G1 would equate to a $20 value on a per game basis (cash flow considerations aside) assuming the deals were "maximized" for comparison purposes.

OTOH, this deal won't be for everyone as Wii users and handheld gamers get screwed out of this essentially.

Now playing:

:ps4: The Order: 1886, The Last of Us: Remastered, Grand Theft Auto V

#63 gunitfan   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

gunitfan

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Target Has Buy 2 Get 1 Free Now #Edit Them Games Is Ass

Edited by gunitfan, 11 October 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#64 panda911   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   934 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

panda911

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

So $120 with a $60 value divided by 3 games = what?

$120 with a $50 value divided by 2 games = what?

Are you bad at math? Why is one divided by 3 games while the other is divided by two? You pay 120 for 2 games in both deals. Be consistent.

#65 Xerxes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   912 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Good thing I hate $50 GC already.
People who still have ECA codes are why we can't have nice things... :shame:

#66 Youngnoble   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Youngnoble

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

This deal is not better then a buy 2 get 1 free deal.

This deal equates to a $25 gift card for each of the 2 games.

A buy 2 1 free deal would be a $30 gift card for each of the 2 games.

Your shelling out the same amount of 119.98 plus tax for both deals, with this deal you still have to lay out 10 of your own money plus tax (Third game $59.99- $50.00= $10+tax) to get the third game.

#67 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8167 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

too bad there's no games that I want I remember the last time BB pm'd this deal I made out like a bandit. They took $25 of each game & "charged" me for the GC's so the end result was
$70 + tax for 2 games & a $50 BB GC which is much better than this deal straight up.

#68 retrad   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   479 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

the problem for me is there is never any period of time where there are two $59.99 games out at the same time that I would purchase.
Posted Image

#69 Bosamba   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2002 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Am I the only one who bought both X-Com and Dishonored this week, albeit with a $15 Newegg pre-order discount code and gift card/credit @Best Buy?
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#70 Youngnoble   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Youngnoble

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Obviously if you can get bestbuy to deduct $25 from each game and charge you for a 50 gift card this deal could be killer for somebody.

I think I'm going to try to do that.

#71 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8167 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Obviously if you can get bestbuy to deduct $25 from each game and charge you for a 50 gift card this deal could be killer for somebody.

I think I'm going to try to do that.

Most of the BB pm's with GC deals end up better since they don't like to issue "free" GC's unless the system is already setup for a BB GC deal. Not only that even if they were to do a straight match & charge $60 having 60 days to pm protects me for the better deal. It would be $80 + tax vs the $70 but if you were to use the GC on another $60 game $90 + tax for 3 games is still a huge offer even on BF most won't get better.

#72 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Are you bad at math? Why is one divided by 3 games while the other is divided by two? You pay 120 for 2 games in both deals. Be consistent.

bc he's looking at the true value of the deals. With B2G1, its essentially spending $40 game. With $50 gift card, it works out to about $43.33 spent per title if one were to use the card to pick up a $60 game
Posted Image

#73 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7117 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I agree with the poster who wished this was during the week of 10/30...good releases that week. Right now, there aren't 2 $60 console games I want.

This.

If Forza Horizon had been out I may have been tempted to get that and Dishonoured, I'll wait now. TBH I always end up regretting buying stuff in the TRU B2G1F's, the games always seem to end up cheaper a couple of weeks later.

OuN33jx.png

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#74 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

This.

If Forza Horizon had been out I may have been tempted to get that and Dishonoured, I'll wait now. TBH I always end up regretting buying stuff in the TRU B2G1F's, the games always seem to end up cheaper a couple of weeks later.

they do. For anyone using it on $60 games, it just discounts them to $40 which isnt that impressive. BF tends to have most for $35 or below anyway
Posted Image

#75 Youngnoble   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Youngnoble

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Most of the BB pm's with GC deals end up better since they don't like to issue "free" GC's unless the system is already setup for a BB GC deal. Not only that even if they were to do a straight match & charge $60 having 60 days to pm protects me for the better deal. It would be $80 + tax vs the $70 but if you were to use the GC on another $60 game $90 + tax for 3 games is still a huge offer even on BF most won't get better.

I already have $40 in reward certs from there pre-order promo. Since I'm already buying AC3 I would use the $50 gift card on that. The problem is if I can get them to do it. Hopefully being reward silver will help me in there decision.

#76 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9001 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

they do. For anyone using it on $60 games, it just discounts them to $40 which isnt that impressive. BF tends to have most for $35 or below anyway

Yes but nobody is forcing you to use that $50 GC on a $60 game. You can use that $50 GC on this promotion multiple times or you can buy a $60 game that comes with a $10/$15/$20 gift card. You get more value out of that $50 then you do getting a third $60 game IF you use it correctly

#77 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yes but nobody is forcing you to use that $50 GC on a $60 game. You can use that $50 GC on this promotion multiple times or you can buy a $60 game that comes with a $10/$15/$20 gift card. You get more value out of that $50 then you do getting a third $60 game IF you use it correctly

Go re-read my post and what I quoted. I responded to someone talking about the previous B2G1 sales and with those you DID have to buy 3 games in one transaction
Posted Image

#78 rcerboss  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Ugh, no B2G1 sale this year?

god fucking damnett I've been holding out for B2G1 since last year :wall:

Damnett so much for getting my Pokemon games. Or Doom 3. Or Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Or a ton of 3DS games I had on my list :bs:

This seriously can't be a good decision for TRU, I mean honestly this is all they had left. All but 1 store has already closed down within a 50 mile radius of where I live, and they never get any adequate business except during the B2G1 sale and a couple of weeks before Xmas.... guess they'll be gone soon too.

Maybe there will be a B2G1 later this year? Let's at least wait until Black Friday (:

I hope so but I wouldn't hold your breath, the big holiday games have already started to drop. Dishonored just came out, and AC III is due out really soon. If we don't see one within the next week or two, I wouldn't count on seeing one period.

Edited by rcerboss, 11 October 2012 - 11:52 AM.

well i asked whether you stood behind your opinions and you said "Always" so i offered up the same bet that i gave to Fire Thief. You think the price of the xbox one will drop to $300 + 2 games by end of year? Let's put a bet on it.

WHERE'S MY CHILDS PLAY DONATION CONFUCIUS!?

#79 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8335 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Not a terrible deal, I just dont think there's 2 full price games I want that badly. Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored interest me, but they'll both be $30-$40 this holiday

#80 rcerboss  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

This. You have to compare apples to apples. A more appropriate comparison is considering value when you buy it as 6 games (2 sets of B2G1 vs. 3 sets of pairs). The original B2G1 nets you a $120 value while the new promo nets you a $150 promo.

Value aside, this deal is better because you're not forced to buy 3 games either. 2 games plus gift cards offers more flexibility. And before some idiot spouts off about placeholders that trick wouldn't work under the new system anyway.

So i like this deal. TRU FTW! Thanks OP.

No, this isn't a better deal. Honestly, who among us pays $60 for PS3/360 games? I had to have Mortal Kombat at launch, but besides that I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a PS3 title.

I use this deal every year almost exclusively to get my Nintendo fix, and I've heard many others say the same. By excluding Wii/3DS games this deal is absolutely useless to me.

well i asked whether you stood behind your opinions and you said "Always" so i offered up the same bet that i gave to Fire Thief. You think the price of the xbox one will drop to $300 + 2 games by end of year? Let's put a bet on it.

#81 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1645 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

god fucking damnett I've been holding out for B2G1 since this summer :wall:

I hope so but I wouldn't hold your breath, the big holiday games have already started to drop. Dishonored just came out, and AC III is due out really soon. If we don't see one within the next week or two, I wouldn't count on seeing one period.

Best Buy usually does one after TRU. Id wait till end of Oct/beginning of Nov
Posted Image

#82 UnlockPotential   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   548 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

UnlockPotential

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

:9 Good. Now I won't be tempted to buy stuff until Black Friday.

#83 rcerboss  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Best Buy usually does one after TRU. Id wait till end of Oct/beginning of Nov

Oh for sure. My backlog is huge, I will certainly hold out. It's not like Pokemon2 or Super Mario 3D Land are going anywhere, hopefully Pokemon Conquest stays in print for awhile too.

Not as optimistic about Return to Dreamland though. It's been almost a year since release and the cheapest I can find it is $45. I can't bring myself to spend that much on any 2D platformer that isn't as robust as LBP so I guess I'm SoL there. Should've just got a placeholder game and traded for it when it dropped last year but I didn't want to cheat the system...

#84 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1037 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

in for nba 2k13 and dishonored

#85 krashhole   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   3322 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

No, this isn't a better deal. Honestly, who among us pays $60 for PS3/360 games? I had to have Mortal Kombat at launch, but besides that I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a PS3 title.

I use this deal every year almost exclusively to get my Nintendo fix, and I've heard many others say the same. By excluding Wii/3DS games this deal is absolutely useless to me.

EXACTLY! The deal is useless to YOU because YOU can't get what YOU want. I am also one of the ones that pays $60 for a new game. I want to play the game when it comes out, not 2 weeks or whatever from the day it releases because I want to save $10.

#86 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   919 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

This deal has its advantages and disadvantages. It really does screw the handheld demographic over big time, no doubt. Also screws anyone looking to maximize on cheaper games...I had wanted to combine the Kirby Collection with two other 40 dollar games, but that won't be happening.

On the other hand, this deal does give me the opportunity to get 50 dollars off a future purchase and would come in handy when the deals dry up after the new year. So even though it calculates to less, it could pay off if there's something you want in January or February.

#87 daminion   Bah CAGiversary!   2485 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Be warned that this will almost certainly be a promotional gift card that will expire within a limited timeframe - say 30-90 days.

#88 rcerboss  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

This deal has its advantages and disadvantages. It really does screw the handheld demographic over big time, no doubt. Also screws anyone looking to maximize on cheaper games...I had wanted to combine the Kirby Collection with two other 40 dollar games, but that won't be happening.

On the other hand, this deal does give me the opportunity to get 50 dollars off a future purchase and would come in handy when the deals dry up after the new year. So even though it calculates to less, it could pay off if there's something you want in January or February.

I got a $10 TRU gift card 2 years ago. It was only valid for 90 days after the purchase :roll:. I'd ask about that when you buy the games; I wouldnt be surprised at all if they expired at the end of December.

#89 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   919 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Be warned that this will almost certainly be a promotional gift card that will expire within a limited timeframe - say 30-90 days.

Well that blows. Was hoping maybe it could last long enough to use on GOW Ascension in March or Injustice whenever it comes out next year.

#90 Youngnoble   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Youngnoble

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I got a $10 TRU gift card 2 years ago. It was only valid for 90 days after the purchase :roll:. I'd ask about that when you buy the games; I wouldnt be surprised at all if they expired at the end of December.

All you have to do is use the gift card with a expiration date to buy another gift (egift) card. The egift code does not have a expiration date. It can be used in stores and online.