i really would like to know this Q?

S

starmask2k3

Why the HELL does the ps3 have a backup and a restore utility when you can't use it on a different ps3

Really? You can just hook up some Ethernet and transfer it all to a different PS3. The back up and restore is to back up the contents externally, ie; unlocked game saves and game data. There are reasons to use the utility, transferring stuff to another ps3 is not one of them. You can always copy to a flash drive and move it that way.

Actually I think you really would like to know this "answer" since the question has already been stated.

The back-up/restore did copy most of my game saves when I traded in my 60 GB PS3 for a new 160 GB slim... but it took like 4 hours to do the back-up and about 10 minutes to do the restore... I knew something was up. Most of the game install files were not restored so I had to redownload the patches. And also, the locked/copy protected game saves were not restored (bummed about that). If I had to do it all over again, I would just copy the game saves to a USB drive and save a lot of time. But back-up/restore works great when upgrading the hard drive on a PS3.

bread's done
Back