Forza Horizon

koheed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm about to head out to pick up Forza Horizon. One of the few series I'll pay full price for the CE at launch. Friend me on Xbox Live if you want to compete.

Forza Horizon is not a series. It doesn't look, feel, or smell like any other forza. IMO, it's just another arcade-ish spin off of Dirt, Gran Turismo, etc etc.

hope to get my copy soon! Just Dance 4 came from the Microsoft store on release day. Hopefully Forza Horizon does too.

see you on the open roads!!! :D

edit: yay! got it. that's 3 for 3 for free release day shipping from the site. As long as you don't have to deal with their awful customer support, the MS Store is pretty darn good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game is an absolute blast so far. Far more fun than the demo, which I thought was pretty darn fun, so I'm very happy with the purchase.

Really, my only complaint was with my Forza 3 data on a USB drive it didn't register me as a former player and I had to restart the game to get an achievement and some bonus cars. (So I lost some progress but it really didn't bug me like most games would have.)

So far I've not done much on this playthrough... Though I did get the first barn find, something I hadn't gotten in my previous playthrough with far more races complete, so I think its based upon the number of upgrade signs destroyed. (It seemed to trigger shortly after 15 destroyed.)

In other news... and maybe more importantly to the forum I created a CAG Car Club. Right now its not official and might be temporary as all hell right now, I'll shoot CheapyD a message about it right after this post and get his approval of it, but after seeing that TA* was already taken (which is what Achievements always tries to get), I figure I should jump on CAG before someone took it for something other than for this forum.

TA is now for Team Awesome...

Anyhow, hope everyone is enjoying it and we get allot more people involved in it. :)

[quote name='krashhole']Forza Horizon is not a series. It doesn't look, feel, or smell like any other forza. IMO, it's just another arcade-ish spin off of Dirt, Gran Turismo, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

It may not look like Forza 4, but frankly I think it feels very similar in terms of the driving model and general feel of the cars. The open world nature allows you to just get in a car and drive. Something that was missing from the other games. Its something that other open world driving games have been doing for a while and it works great in a game with so many cars like Forza.

I skipped Forza 4 because after 3, 4 felt like an expansion pack. The series was getting stale and this was exactly what it needed I feel. How many times can you race the Nürburgring and still have fun?

Does anyone know what all the free cars offered for Forza Horizon are so far. I got the one for playing the demo and there is one on the XBLM for a free car as well. Any more other than preorder bonuses.

My only complaint is I'm about to go on vacation and I'm going to have to wait a week before I can start playing. First world problems. LOL

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Does anyone know what all the free cars offered for Forza Horizon are so far. I got the one for playing the demo and there is one on the XBLM for a free car as well. Any more other than preorder bonuses.[/QUOTE]

If you have a Forza 3 or Forza 4 save you will get bonus cars right after you pick up your yellow wristband... (Do make sure your save is on your HD, not a USB device, or maybe it doesn't matter and the issue was my Horizon save was on a different device than my Forza save.)

Anyhow, based upon drive level you will get:

- Lvl 1-4: '11 Cooper SP
- Lvl 5-9: '11 Citroen DS3 Racing
- Lvl 10-14: '12 Dodge Charger SRT8
- Lvl 15-19: '69 Camaro SS
- Lvl 20-24: '08 BMW M3 E92
- Lvl 30-34: '12 Jag XKR-S
- Lvl 40-49: '09 Gumpert Apollo S
- Lvl 50: '12 Lambergini Aventador LP700-4

Though, all of them can be bought in game... So this might not be the type bonus cars you were hoping for.

Edit: CheapyD liked the car club idea so anyone who wants to join search for CAG. :D

This sounds pretty good. I didn't know you'd get a free car for playing the demo, so I guess I should check the demo out. But I'll probably hold off on buying until closer to Xmas. Make it a gift for me. :)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']It may not look like Forza 4, but frankly I think it feels very similar in terms of the driving model and general feel of the cars. The open world nature allows you to just get in a car and drive. Something that was missing from the other games. Its something that other open world driving games have been doing for a while and it works great in a game with so many cars like Forza.

I skipped Forza 4 because after 3, 4 felt like an expansion pack. The series was getting stale and this was exactly what it needed I feel. How many times can you race the Nürburgring and still have fun?

Does anyone know what all the free cars offered for Forza Horizon are so far. I got the one for playing the demo and there is one on the XBLM for a free car as well. Any more other than preorder bonuses.[/QUOTE]I completely agree with you about the track thing. Personally, I hated Forza 3, but loved the hell out of Forza 4. Forza 2 will always remain my favorite though, and that is why it still sits here on my shelf. Don't get me wrong, I thought the demo for Horizon was pretty good, and I plan on getting the game, just not at the $60 price. I'm sure there will be some deals on it come Black Friday.

[quote name='crunchewy']This sounds pretty good. I didn't know you'd get a free car for playing the demo, so I guess I should check the demo out. But I'll probably hold off on buying until closer to Xmas. Make it a gift for me. :)[/QUOTE]

The car from the demo must be redeemed by November something.... Which is pretty much a bummer.

picked up the CE yesterday and can't wait to play it. Wanted to continue my line of getting all the CE's for this game (it all started when I came upon a Forza 2 CE at GameStop for $8 only missing the slip cover) picked up the exclusive part 3 CE from GS never opened, and grabbed the one for 4 on launch day last year. And of course I have every variation of Part 2 & 3 (PH editions and what not) need to get a vanilla part 4 sometime for $20

IDK though, I have a feeling once NFS Most Wanted comes out, this will get left behind.

[quote name='token2k6']IDK though, I have a feeling once NFS Most Wanted comes out, this will get left behind.[/QUOTE]I think Halo will have more of affect than anything else to be honest...

Really enjoying the game. I don't think it has as much content than Forza 3 did, I haven't played FM4 yet so I cannot compare it to that, but so much of FM3 content was minor variations on a handful of tracks that its really hard to judge. I do suspect that all the FH achievements can be done in less than half the time it takes to do the FM3* achievements. (Granted, FM3 has a number of achievements that are a real grind to get done.)

* This is even with ignoring the Solid Gold achievement.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying the game so much I'm honestly considering the season pass but suspect I'll hold out. 4000 MSP is just too much, even with a good point sale, and I've had poor luck with season passes too be honest and don't really trust them.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']My only complaint is I'm about to go on vacation and I'm going to have to wait a week before I can start playing. First world problems. LOL[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. My complaint is that I'll be spending five out of the next seven days away from home testing out a real race car (nothing crazy, just a B-Spec Chevy Sonic.) So much less to worry about when working on/driving digital cars.

I enjoy this game a lot. Feels like Dirt and Burnout Paradise had a Forza baby. Forza 4 for more serious driving, Forza Horizon for lighthearted, racing fun.

Gorgeous gm.Its no sim Forza,but we already knew that.

a7ubebas.jpg

u4agyzyq.jpg

u2enyqaz.jpg

a5ubepu4.jpg

epavary4.jpg

qada5uhe.jpg

jave3a2y.jpg

We got three people in the club now. :D

And with that I added a few cars to the garage so you at least have something stupid fast to drive in between events. (and for online play I would imagine.)

I tried to cover everything... European Supercars (Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini); American Muscle (Both new and classic), and a Ford pickup.

And everything is upgraded to the max... So enjoy. :cool:

I didn't like Forza Motorsport 3 at all. Felt very sterile. I didn't like the cockpit view.

Forza Motorsport 4 was awesome. The lighting was amazing. The car cockpit is the view to use and the car interiors are great. AutoVista is amazing.

Forza Horizon is amazing because of the open world feeling. This is how open world racing should be. The beautiful design of the Colorado world is so immaculately detailed. The more you explore, the more amazing things you see. I still wish for some kind of penalty for driving recklessly. Sometimes I drive really sloppily because nothing is making me pay super attention to not smashing things. I even start ramming a bunch of buses and watching the windows just shatter.

The resolution for Horizon seems lower than FM4 so they softened the look of the game. 30 fps is not so bad and if you're in the right cars, the game feels wicked fast.

I'm totally loving the game so far. I just dig racing games that are laid out like this and I was hoping that they would knock it out of the park being that they were going to slap the Forza name on it and it seems like they have succeeded as far as I'm concerned.

what do you guys think of the online racing? it seems kind of brutal. cars jumping around. demolition derby. i'm trying to get my bearing.

and for the "fun" modes, it's hard to get people to join. people are constantly dropping in and out so you end up waiting at the lobby forever. and then people hate one of the game modes and then bail (like cat and mouse).

I'm loving it at the single player level. But I'm having a hard time getting into the multiplayer racing.

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm about to join the club right now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GenDV138']Enjoying the game too, love the free roam. Also sent a request to join the club![/QUOTE]

Got ya both covered. CheapyD joined tonight also.

[quote name='dirtyvu']what do you guys think of the online racing? it seems kind of brutal. cars jumping around. demolition derby. i'm trying to get my bearing. [/QUOTE]

I've honestly not tried it yet... But from what I've gathered on the Forza Motersports forum that, yeah, its pretty brutal in that no one is racing very clean... Which, I imagine means its much like GTAIV racing in which its a huge pileup at the first real corner because no one breaks going into it.

I would suggest a a car with a quicker launch and handling over raw power... The quick launch will get you out in front and (hopefully) away from the maniacs that will wreck and likely be out of the race sooner or later.

Anyone else used the smartglass app with the game? It acts as a GPS and is pretty neat. Can't wait to see what other games will do with it.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Anyone else used the smartglass app with the game? It acts as a GPS and is pretty neat. Can't wait to see what other games will do with it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't even think of that! Good idea. Gonna run Smartglass on windows 8, iPad and iPhone tonight am see if there are any differences.

haven't tried Windows 8 with the game yet.

I do use the GPS feature of the Kinect. now that's really handy as well...

Smartglass on Windows 8 acts as a full screen GPS. On my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 it just shows generic game information. How did you get the GPS to come up on the app? You using Android or Windows phone?

Alright! I got the update about half an hour ago and put it through the paces in Windows 8 (enterprise evaluation version). I used my ancient HP TX2000 laptop which I can't install the final Windows 8 on (I can't get proper video drivers and had to used a hacked laptopvideo2go driver which has some problems and it fails to install with my Intel 80 GB SSD). But the notebook is good enough to show off SmartGlass.

It's pretty slick. You see the GPS on my 12.1" screen. You can zoom in and out. You can filter your various targets like showcases, festival races, etc. The screen scrolls as you're driving. You can choose your destination.

When combined with the Kinect GPS feature, you've got it all covered. I wouldn't use the SmartGlass feature to select destinations. Because it's easier to use the Kinect GPS feature and the back button to see the map. However, if you have your laptop near you, it's neat to drive and see the map without having to pause and pull up the GPS map.

I'll post a video ASAP.

update: I don't know about using it with a phone because the 12.1" screen felt cramped already. To see it on a 4" screen would probably drive me crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nW26qsI-c8

I just uploaded the video so Youtube is still processing it. Give it a half hour or so for it to be fully postprocessed.

Again, this ancient laptop will not be getting Windows 8 because of the lack of WDDM 1.2 video drivers. I had to get hacked drivers from laptopvideo2go and these drivers have problems with the ancient hardware. But it's good enough to demonstrate SmartGlass. The notebook has a resistive screen so it's not good for fingers. So don't judge touch performance or video performance due to the old machine. Also, this is the enterprise evaluation of Windows 8. It is not the final version. This laptop will not be getting the final version due to driver problems.

Also showing a little of the Kinect functionality. I actually think the Kinect GPS is more useful, but the SmartGlass feature is neat.

Sorry about the poor video quality. My tablet takes lousy video. The green path is easy to see on the laptop screen, but the recorder kind of washed out the screen so it's hard to see.

[quote name='Malik112099']Smartglass on Windows 8 acts as a full screen GPS. On my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 it just shows generic game information. How did you get the GPS to come up on the app? You using Android or Windows phone?[/QUOTE]

maybe you haven't updated the app yet? I just got the update a shortwhile ago. When I tried it earlier, there was no functionality yet until I did the update.

plus, I think it's out first for Windows 8 and Windows Phone and still being worked on for iOS and Android.

It definitely doesn't work with the iPhone. I just noticed the app hasn't been updated for iPhone 5 yet anyways. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Last I heard the actual smartglass app is on android, but not ios. ios's my xbox live can do some smartglass type of stuff. My touchpad can't run either mbl or sg app. :(

[quote name='dirtyvu']that is one friggin big pic... :p[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Cell phone pic. Uploaded and posted on my phone.

Just read it was meant for an early 2013 release on android and iOS. Released early on android phones with 4.0 or above. Doesn't work on android tablets yet tho.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Sorry about the poor video quality. My tablet takes lousy video. The green path is easy to see on the laptop screen, but the recorder kind of washed out the screen so it's hard to see.[/QUOTE]Don't be. It showed everything that it needed to. Pretty cool btw.

[quote name='Thrax83']i sent a request to join.[/QUOTE]

Getting you added right now, if no one else has. Sorry, about the delay but I work overnights and you caught me in a blind spot.

How big is this game in terms of size compared to TDU2? Is it free roam like TDU2 or is it just invite free roam only?

Yes I am aware TDU2 handles like ass and had a lot of launch issues.

So far I like the game, but my only complaint is the steering issue. Anyone else having an issue either with certain cars or at the race hub. The car will want to either jerk left or right almost like when a real car is out of balance but worse?
Kinda tempted to mess with the advanced settings and see if that will fix it. Only certain vehicles have done that so far.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']How big is this game in terms of size compared to TDU2? Is it free roam like TDU2 or is it just invite free roam only?[/quote]
Never played TDU2 though I did play the first TDU... I felt like I played TDU allot, though I'm unsure of the actual hour count, but can say I drove every road in Horizon in under ten hours... It not actually sooner than that.

That's not necessary a bad thing... TDU felt way big at times, if not all the time, while Horizon I would say feels like its a good size (Though if they had doubled it in size I wouldn't complain... The game is amazing and I would happily gobble up more roads to drive.) My only complaint in its size is only one Interstate and no real mountain passes.

The fast traveling is also more limited in Horizon if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure you could fast travel to any road you had driven on in TDU while in Horizon its free fast travel to the festival and expensive fast travel to a handful of destinations once you've driven to them once.

Frankly, I don't mind the lack of fast travel... I really enjoy just driving around.

Also, the Free Roam is a bit more limited. No real gamers are sliced in and out of your world like they where in TDU... Its all CPU all the time. (At least in the single player part... I've not done the MP part at all so far.)

[quote name='squishface']So far I like the game, but my only complaint is the steering issue. Anyone else having an issue either with certain cars or at the race hub. The car will want to either jerk left or right almost like when a real car is out of balance but worse?[/QUOTE]

Not really... But I've gotten pretty use to it. What surface type are you on and what are you driving? Lose stuff, rear wheel drive, and lots of power (especially applied quickly) don't mix well. :)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']How big is this game in terms of size compared to TDU2? Is it free roam like TDU2 or is it just invite free roam only?

Yes I am aware TDU2 handles like ass and had a lot of launch issues.[/QUOTE]

9szfaw.jpg

it feels huge. in fact, I hopped into the 1956 Jaguar D-Type and went cruising, just checking out the views... just beautiful...

I've been playing almost only single player. What are the "fun" game types in multiplayer? I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to join up.

I also sent a request to join the CAG club today, gt Slainet, can you belong to more than one club at a time?

If you don't mind I'll send some friend requests to people here so I can have some competition on the Speed Traps and Rivals races, only 1 person on my friends list has this game.

[quote name='teddybass']I also sent a request to join the CAG club today, gt Slainet, can you belong to more than one club at a time?[/quote]

I think its one only... I just haven't seen an option to join a second one,

[quote name='teddybass']If you don't mind I'll send some friend requests to people here so I can have some competition on the Speed Traps and Rivals races, only 1 person on my friends list has this game.[/QUOTE]
Nice thing about the club is that everyone in the club gets added to your Speed Traps and whatnot... Which is cool. Its certainly kept me more invested in those than I normally would have been. :D

At a speed zone today I actually posted the 126 overall fastest time... Granted, its a speed zone and those things all pretty much suck ass.

I'm really loving the huge open world aspect of this game. It has some amazing cars for cruising (I actually didn't navigate very much of the map because the video was already too long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uWyaEL14w

I'm cruising in the 1956 Jaguar D-Type.

0:00 A Real Hero (College ft. Electric Youth). 3:27 the Colorado sunset.
4:26 Strangers in a Car (Marc Cohn). 6:44 checking out the full moon.
7:16 Neela Drifts (Brian Tyler). 7:57 the observatory.
10:34 Blindsided (Bon Iver). 10:35 sunrise.
16:01 We Own the Sky (M83). 18:29 the beautiful wind farm.
21:04 Rez (Underworld). 24:15 one of the beautiful waterfalls. 25:49 going over the dam.
31:03 Holoscene (Bon Iver).
36:40 Every Night (Imagine Dragons).
40:16 Take Over the World (The Courteeners).
44:01 Everything'll Be Alright (Will's Lullaby) (Joshua Radin).

I barely covered the area in the game which is a testament to how huge it is. I did backtrack a few of the roads because when I was recording, I didn't know I'd be making this kind of video. It covers a full day cycle. Editing the audio for the video resulted in a lot of video compression which I apologize for.

it was at the game hub which was just plain ol road or tarmac depending on what area you are from. I'm familiar with torque steer, but not to that extent.
They were some of the newer muscle cars like the newer charger and challenger and the older boss 429 from the mustang vs mustang challenge.

Played the demo, couldn't get the DiRT vibes out of my mind while playing it. Although I greatly associate Forza with the sterile racing environment, I'll definitely pick this up later down the line.

I'm absolutely in love with the soundtrack so far, Forza has always been good with bringing over drum and bass and electronic music into their games.

[quote name='menikmati']Played the demo, couldn't get the DiRT vibes out of my mind while playing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this was me as well, I said well I played the crap out of DiRT 3 already.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah this was me as well, I said well I played the crap out of DiRT 3 already.[/QUOTE]Alot is ripped right from Dirt 2 & 3. Just played mp for the first time and it has three party modes including Infected (Outbreak) and Cat and Mouse (Cat and Mouse!) which are just like Dirt 3. Still fun as always though. Even stole a song from Dirt 2.

I'm pleased and satisfied with this game, it has met my expectations for what they said it would be. Only annoying bit is when you hit a car head on it just bounces off. I would've liked a little more damage and/or realism for that.

bread's done
Back